Author Topic: Soilwork Appreciation  (Read 49284 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Soilwork Appreciation
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2021, 05:23:45 AM »
Song for Swedish Football Team written by Bjorn
https://youtu.be/N945pMjKNrY

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2021, 03:09:54 PM »
I kind of lost interest after The Living Infinite, which I thought was pretty good (although a bit long).

I've been playing Natural Born Chaos again and it kicks ass. I much prefer the bassier, looser sounding production on it instead of the flat, more saturated streamlined sound of later records.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #352 on: April 25, 2021, 08:08:54 AM »
I kind of lost interest after The Living Infinite, which I thought was pretty good (although a bit long).

I've been playing Natural Born Chaos again and it kicks ass. I much prefer the bassier, looser sounding production on it instead of the flat, more saturated streamlined sound of later records.
You know I have to agree that I too is a bit allergic to the streamlined modern day metal sound. It all kinda sounds the same in a way. Despite that TLI is just amazing to me, I guess mostly because the two albums before that was kinda meh for me and then suddenly they release a double album filled with bascially no fillers imo. Every songs is interesting in some regard.

NBC is awesome!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #353 on: May 06, 2021, 02:35:58 PM »
Discovered the band a couple of years ago, with The Ride Majestic. "Enemies In Fidelity" is one of the coolest songs I've listened to recently.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: May 06, 2021, 02:51:20 PM »
Discovered the band a couple of years ago, with The Ride Majestic. "Enemies In Fidelity" is one of the coolest songs I've listened to recently.

Yes!  That whole album is indeed amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #355 on: May 07, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »
Listened to it today and enjoyed it. I used to own it on CD and got rid of it fairly quickly but today it worked.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #356 on: May 12, 2021, 03:40:13 AM »
There's lots of good stuff on TRM. Enjoying TLI more so far.

I think the overuse of a wall/call-and-response of dry/hoarse screams is incredibly generic and makes me roll my eyes so hard it hurts. (Eg: "the ride majestic... (MAJESTIIIIIIIC)) Pantera starting doing it in their later stuff too so it's not particular to Soilwork. Strid's roar clearly has a bunch of power, though. They could use it much better.

But there's a lot of great music in both albums. TLI seems to have more singing so far. Fantastic leads and drumming.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:51:36 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #357 on: August 14, 2021, 12:00:07 AM »
https://youtu.be/U_TU-rnvQtA

Bump! Soilwork is doing a 6 part interview series, where they talk about the past, present and future of Soilwork! They did say that, although it has been quiet in the Soilwork camp, they are in the middle of some sort of Soilwork project!

Episodes will be released weekly, and the first episode is up!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #358 on: August 14, 2021, 09:37:39 AM »
Should be interesting to watch.  They have one of the more fascinating career evolutions of metal bands.  Too late in time to be properly part of the original melodeath scene, but incredibly influential on the trajectory of later branches of it.  A mid-career slump and member turnover, which in retrospect I think has aged better than expected because Speed continually proves himself to be an excellent vocalist, unlike a peer such as Anders Friden.  But regardless, an eventual righting of the ship and to me a rare case of their best album being in their second decade and with newer members on The Living Infinite.  Losing Verbeuren a few years ago seemed a potentially fatal blow, as I wasn't crazy about Verkligheten, but the A Whisp of the Atlantic EP last year was quite surprisingly full of interesting ideas and may have revitalized them yet again. 

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #359 on: August 14, 2021, 08:44:40 PM »

Natural Born Chaos is sooo good. That, and Figure Number Five are at the very top of my list. Since then, to me, they had pretty decent to 'meh albums. Ups and downs like many bands.

but the A Whisp of the Atlantic EP last year was quite surprisingly full of interesting ideas and may have revitalized them yet again. 

This. Whisp was very cool and I can't wait to see if they further this direction!

Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #360 on: August 14, 2021, 09:52:55 PM »
Interesting that you consider FNF one their top two albums, it's certainly not an opinion I see very often.  It was trashed a lot in the 00s, but as I alluded to, I think those judgments hold less water now in comparison.  I quite like it, but it's a bit too slow for my tastes. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: August 15, 2021, 04:03:47 AM »
FNF was my first taste of Soilwork and was actually my fav for a while.  It's probably still top 3 after Majestic and Chainheart though.  Sure it's more commercial, but I think it's very focused and consistent with great melodies and some cool riffing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2021, 06:53:04 AM »
I got into Soilwork around 2010 when Panic Broadcast was coming out, and through that I discovered Stabbing the Drama (Which was my favorite for a while) and FNF.

Nowadays I still consider The Living Infinite as my favorite Soilwork album, but Verkligheten is also probably in my top 3. I can't wait to see what is in store for Soilwork next! They have never made a bad album IMO.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #363 on: August 20, 2021, 11:06:29 PM »
Just saw that A Whisp of the Atlantic is getting a CD release. I'm pissed and excited. Pissed because I bought it lossy and excited that I get to have a physical copy.

I also just saw that Act Of Denial dropped their record out of nowhere, at least to me. CD release in the US is next month. That's the project with Speed and Steve DiGiorgio. Picking that up as well.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: August 21, 2021, 04:38:01 AM »
Just saw that A Whisp of the Atlantic is getting a CD release. I'm pissed and excited. Pissed because I bought it lossy and excited that I get to have a physical copy.

I also just saw that Act Of Denial dropped their record out of nowhere, at least to me. CD release in the US is next month. That's the project with Speed and Steve DiGiorgio. Picking that up as well.

Yeah, I'm glad it's finally getting a CD release.  I'll get that now.

Forgot about that Act of Denial.  The one song they dropped ages ago was killer.  Will look into that for sure.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #365 on: August 24, 2021, 04:03:36 PM »
Act Of Denial - quite an appropriate name for this project.
The music is prime Chainheart/Predators/Chaos era Soilwork, almost down to a tee.
With Bjorn Speed on vocals and the suitably charged riffage, the comparisons are almost undeniable.
But sometimes it's just a little too much in places, not that this is nothing but a bloody good melodic death metal album.
I will say that the song writing is a step below Soilwork, so are some of the vocal melodies.
That said this is still a high quality release and enough to tie us over to the next full length Soilwork release.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: August 24, 2021, 04:20:37 PM »
Good stuff.  Have to try and source that one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: August 24, 2021, 05:30:02 PM »
Thanks mate.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #369 on: August 27, 2021, 03:12:25 AM »
Soilwork confirmed in the latest episode of the interview series, that they are working on a new album! :tup And it looks like they are pretty far along, could we see a release this year or early next year?

I think they also confirmed that bassist Rasmus Ehrnborn is a permanent member now.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #370 on: August 27, 2021, 06:12:33 PM »
AWOTA is going to be tough to beat, such a killer song and EP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: September 04, 2021, 03:08:01 PM »
AWOTA is going to be tough to beat, such a killer song and EP.

You know what, I finally gave this EP a proper listen yesterday and I think it's fucking phenomenal.  Everything about it is perfect, and the production is so punchy, clear and strong.  Amazing songwriting on all of these five tracks.  Very happy this is getting a CD release.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #372 on: September 04, 2021, 03:26:40 PM »
It's amusing to me that it's an EP, but it's almost 37 minutes long.  By comparison, some "albums" like Reign In Blood are only 29 minutes long, some even much less. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: September 04, 2021, 04:35:43 PM »
Even by today's standards, 45 minutes for an album is common and it's not far off that.

That riff in Nothingness and the Devil is so simple but so fucking amazing.  The guitar tones here are ridiculous.

Also, it sounds like Sylvain is taking most of the solos here, that's a good move IMO.  He has copped the raw deal in terms of solos but I think his playing is much more creative than David's.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #374 on: September 04, 2021, 11:25:31 PM »
David is an amazing songwriter, as he has written some of the greatest tunes on the recent Soilwork albums. A Whisp of the Atlantic epic was all he's idea, for example. He is a capable guitar player also, but I think he is a better songwriter than a he is a guitarist.

Sylvain on the other hand, is an amazing lead guitar player!

Can't wait for the next album!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #375 on: September 10, 2021, 10:59:24 PM »
Act Of Denial showed up today. This is a brutal record from start to finish. Just doesn't let up. I'm enjoying it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2021, 07:55:52 PM »
Finally found a copy of Whsip on CD.  This EP is incredible, and the production is amazing.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2021, 10:17:25 PM »
Yeah they certainly hit a peak with Whisp, love the epic title track.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #378 on: October 08, 2021, 02:07:52 AM »
Whisp is really good!

I hope the new album hits similar highs as Whisp and Verkligheten! I'd love to hear more epics from Soilwork!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: October 08, 2021, 05:08:51 AM »
Even by today's standards, 45 minutes for an album is common and it's not far off that.

That riff in Nothingness and the Devil is so simple but so fucking amazing.  The guitar tones here are ridiculous.

Also, it sounds like Sylvain is taking most of the solos here, that's a good move IMO.  He has copped the raw deal in terms of solos but I think his playing is much more creative than David's.

Well don't I look like an idiot.  In the credits it's says all guitars by David Andersson.  :lol :facepalm:

I was right about him coping a raw deal then at least haha.  I can hear it now that it's David but there's still some elements in what he's doing like he's almost channeling Slyvain.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: May 10, 2022, 05:16:49 AM »
New Soilwork song coming on the 13th.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #381 on: May 10, 2022, 07:22:50 AM »

Yeah, I read about this too!

Hopefully the song kicks ass, and we get some info about the new album..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: May 10, 2022, 04:16:11 PM »

Yeah, I read about this too!

Hopefully the song kicks ass, and we get some info about the new album..

Atlantic is a tough act to follow.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #383 on: May 10, 2022, 10:22:26 PM »
I'm hoping the new direction is closer to A Whisp of the Atlantic than to Verkligheten.  I initially bemoaned the loss of Dirk and feared that their later career resurgence had already come to an end, but AWotA was surprisingly great (have I watched too many State Farm commercials?).  I'm still not sure Bastian has his finesse and creativity, but it's more auspicious now than it was for me in '19. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #384 on: May 12, 2022, 01:07:15 PM »
It's already out on YT Music, definitely a hint of Atlantic in the overall sound, the full version is 5:46, while the 'single edit' is 3:53.