Author Topic: Soilwork Appreciation  (Read 49274 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Soilwork Appreciation
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
So another new song "Long Live the Misanthrope" is out today on Swedish Itunes. I heard the sample and it sounds absolutely killer. Can't wait for the whole thing.

Fuck yeah, can't wait to listen to this tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »
So another new song "Long Live the Misanthrope" is out today on Swedish Itunes. I heard the sample and it sounds absolutely killer. Can't wait for the whole thing.

Fuck yeah, can't wait to listen to this tonight.
It's up on Youtube now. Awesome song, love the chorus.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
Can't wait to listen after work, this is going to be an amazing album me thinks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 02:31:20 AM »
New song is killer, this album is going to be incredible.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 09:59:21 PM »
I've found the new songs to be pretty good, so you could say I'm excited for it.
I love how energized this band is, The Panic Broadcast is one of my exercise albums, just because it really gets the adrenaline pumping  :metal

Offline adace

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 04:16:49 AM »
So I had a listen to the new album, and it's just excellent. There's really no filler on it which is an amazing feat considering that it's a double album. Hats off to the band for this. :hefdaddy :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 04:30:18 AM »
Sounds great, seriously can't wait for it.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 07:58:06 AM »
a double album?

holy shi*  :corn

I like the last one as well. It was def a good workout album for sure and I really like Stabbing the Drama as well. Looking forward to listening to the new one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »
There's 4 songs out on youtube, they are incredible.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 07:44:35 AM »
I just stumbled upon my first review of TLI and 5 out of 5 was the verdict with words like and i quote "The Living Infinite is by far Soilworks best album"!

Pffhh damn Soilwork, they always aim low!

But seriously...I MUST HAVE DIS ALBUM!  :omg:

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2013, 06:23:33 AM »
The guitar riffs/play on The Living Infinite is fucking stellar!  :metal

I can't get the chorus in Vesta out of my head!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:45:04 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »
The last time I had any interest at all in Soilwork was, 'Natural Born Chaos', even then I thought that was a little too polished for me.
I haven't bothered with them at all since.
So with word of mouth, reviews and a good buzz about the new album, I decided to take the plunge.
For $19.99 for a Nuclear Blast release and a double CD at that (their CD's here in Australia are generally the most expensive) I had a good feeling about it.

I got home put the CD on my stereo and fuck me, sounds amazing, fantastic production and great songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2013, 03:23:36 AM »
Not thinking we would get it here on the release date, I ordered it online and I should get it sometime this week, but I saw it too today for $20.  :facepalm:  Could be listening to it now, but oh well.  Agree gazin, $20 for an album this length from Nuclear Blast here in Australia is stellar.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 04:17:45 AM »
I ordered my copy two days ago but i had a sneak peak at Spotify!  :blush

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2013, 04:20:54 AM »
What did you think?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2013, 04:43:02 AM »
So far it's awesome.  :metal Let The First Wave Rise and Vesta are the ones that floored me first but i've only scratched the surface because it's alot of songs, it really feels like a monumental task to listen to the album and it's somewhat weird to have 20 new songs from a non-prog band thrown at you and it dosen't get better when your realise the lack of fillers. #Firstworldproblem  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2013, 05:14:37 AM »
Yeah, 20 songs is a lot to digest, and if they are as quality as people are saying, it will take some time to really get into it.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2013, 01:23:52 AM »
Not thinking we would get it here on the release date, I ordered it online and I should get it sometime this week, but I saw it too today for $20.  :facepalm:  Could be listening to it now, but oh well.  Agree gazin, $20 for an album this length from Nuclear Blast here in Australia is stellar.

Actually JB rip off had it on sale 2 days before the official release date.
Where abouts in Oz are you?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2013, 02:00:45 AM »
I bought it for 188 kr ($29,25) online including shipment. Thought that was pretty cheap for a double album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 02:40:10 AM »

Actually JB rip off had it on sale 2 days before the official release date.
Where abouts in Oz are you?

JB can go both ways in regards to prices IMO.  I'm in Brisbane.

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2013, 11:10:50 AM »
I've only listened to Natural Born Chaos a couple of times and it's finally starting to grow on me. Cool stuff.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »
NBC is a melodic death metal masterpiece.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2013, 08:19:08 PM »
So, this new album is really good. It takes some serious balls to do a double album these days, and these guys absolutely fucking nailed it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »
On the way to dropping my dad off at airport I put The Panic Broadcast on as it was in the player. Now my dad has never been a fan of extreme metal, vocals usually do it in for him, but despite the vocals he really enjoyed Soilwork!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2013, 11:04:49 PM »
i can't believe there isn't one dud on this entire double album. it flows extremely well — they really took care with the sequencing. and Strid's hitting notes i didn't think he'd ever attempt! they've seriously outdone themselves this time. A+

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 02:10:04 AM »
i can't believe there isn't one dud on this entire double album. it flows extremely well — they really took care with the sequencing. and Strid's hitting notes i didn't think he'd ever attempt! they've seriously outdone themselves this time. A+
Ending of Let The First Wave Rise! Ahhh yeaa!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 03:08:26 AM »
Still waiting for this.  :facepalm:  I'm so eager to take a listen.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 10:32:22 AM »
I do wonder why they choose to put Memories Confined as the second track and not This Momentary Bliss? Nothing wrong with the song but Spectrum Of Eternity is such a energetic song and going from SOE to MC drags it down for me. I feel TMB would have worked better but that's just a thought from me.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2013, 12:56:46 PM »
3 hours later and many frustrating turn arounds I have the album and am back home!
Didn't think a best buy would be so hard to find!
Man what an album  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 05:20:51 AM »
Man, just got this tonight, this is definitely a big one.  I don't think I'll even worry about disc 2 for a while, disc 1 is a lot to take on right away, definitely like what I'm hearing but.  Seems like quite a bit of variety in the songs, good stuff.

I do wonder why they choose to put Memories Confined as the second track and not This Momentary Bliss? Nothing wrong with the song but Spectrum Of Eternity is such a energetic song and going from SOE to MC drags it down for me. I feel TMB would have worked better but that's just a thought from me.

After my first listen, I agree.  I think Memories should have been more in the middle of teh disc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2013, 05:05:51 AM »
Okay, I've managed to listen to the first disc a few times over the weekend, and it's pretty incredible.  Not a single filler and consistent, yet some great variety within the tracks.  The guitar work just fits, and some songs need the shred, other just a quick melody line and that's it.  I'm really impressed that the guys just don't add guitar work to be self indulgent.  They wrote the songs and gave them exactly what they needed, and Speed sounds insane.

Fuck, this is only the first disc, I haven't even heard the second disc yet.  Great value for the price too.  About time a band did a double album and not this release one album and then release one 4 months later so you pay double.  Soilwork obviously don't take their fans for granted.  Looking forward to getting into the second disc.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2013, 05:42:46 AM »
Yea i have to agree on the guitar work, very solid stuff and the solos are some of their best work yet.

Some highlights:

1. I really dig the simple verse riff on Tongue.
2. The chorus on Vesta.
3. As a drummer i can vouch for Dirks talent behind the drums, insane stuff! (side note: check out his other band Scarve, even more insane!)
4. Spectrum Of Eternity may be their best song in their entire catalouge.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2013, 05:59:15 AM »
Also, the instrumental section of Tongue is mindblowing and something the band have never really done before.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »
LOVE these guys. Have a 5 hour car trip coming up this week, plan on getting it for the drive. Can't wait.  :metal
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »
LOVE these guys. Have a 5 hour car trip coming up this week, plan on getting it for the drive. Can't wait.  :metal

You heard it yet?

Looking forward myself to putting on disc 2 tonight.  I think I have a good grasp on disc one so disc 2 here I come.

After only disc one, this is the best album since Figure Number Five, maybe even Natural Born Chaos.