Author Topic: TSF rethink  (Read 13547 times)

Offline Martinman300

Re: TSF rethink
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »
And what is that who ho ho from labrie at the end all about?! that is lame, especially the way he just trails off the last note as if he can't be arsed to sing it.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »
The only part I don't like about this song is the outro. Reminds me too much of Octavarium.

Impossible.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 07:38:30 AM »
Good song. The ONLY really bad thing about is the keyboard solo, it just doesn't end. I seriously black out when it's on.

I like the song as well and I agree that the keyboard solo is the worst
thing about it. I honestly don't find Jordan's soloing over such riffs very
convincing in most cases - to me he often sounds out of his element
and the TSF solo is a good example that this hasn't really fundamentally
changed during his ten years with the band. I wish they'd get away from
this and feature his soloing over sections with more harmonic movement -
he sounds so good when he's soloing melodically over things like the
ending of Crossing Over (Rudess Morgenstein Project, 1997) and
sadly it's really not something that you hear from him in DT.

I agree.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2010, 09:05:26 AM »
And what is that who ho ho from labrie at the end all about?! that is lame, especially the way he just trails off the last note as if he can't be arsed to sing it.
You know, the WOOOOOOOAH parts first appeared on I&W, so it's not exactly entirely new... :P

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »
I have to say when i first heard the song i didn't think much of it. But now i frickkin love it. The intro is just  :metal :metal :metal Guitar solo is amazing too and "I am responsible" part is just awesome.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 11:33:17 AM »
I love the whoa ho hos on i&W and awake, cos he sings with som much energy, but here its not as good IMO

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
The riffs under the keyboard solo are so good I don't even pay attention to what Rudess is doing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »
I actually really like the keyboard solo. Sure it has some typical Rudess random crazy noises going on, but most of it is really :metal. Plus, as anitogoon said, the riffs under it are awesome, and when mixed with the solo, it all sounds fucking badass.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »
I like the keyboard solo as well.  But it's nothing compared to JP's solo in that song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
This will win over a lot of people live. I consider it the heaviest song in the AA Suite
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2010, 07:37:11 AM »
I find it kinda silly to be honest. It's like a song written by a DT fan. It's not clever or original. It's just corny and childish in my opinion. I mean I predicted the ending years ago. When I heard it I was like "Really?". It makes no sense because it's like Mike's back to step 1 and is an alcoholic again. It's just one of those things I can imagine a 14 year old DT fan to do "to be prog and creative".

With that said, I think I'll cut out the ending of this song I'm writing. I bet people would find it exciting and original once I tell them it's intentional.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2010, 08:09:41 AM »
This will win over a lot of people live. I consider it the heaviest song in the AA Suite
I think This Dying Soul is definitely heavier. But I also wonder why they haven't played TSF live yet, it's bound to be AMAZING, perfect live closer (actually I've been wondering if TSF wouldn't work better as the ending of BC&SL instead of The Count, have to give it a try some day).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »
I think This Dying Soul is definitely heavier. But I also wonder why they haven't played TSF live yet, it's bound to be AMAZING, perfect live closer (actually I've been wondering if TSF wouldn't work better as the ending of BC&SL instead of The Count, have to give it a try some day).

No it wouldn't. To me, I see TSF as MP recollecting those past AA Steps, summarizing and knowing he has fufilled his duties to continue onto the last step, which is why it's pretty much the only newish sounding step. I know people had high expectations for this last song, but if you go in expecting something you'll most likely be dissapointed. It's  :metal :metal, plus I also like what they did to the themes
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »
Well, conceptually you have a point, but simply music-wise I think it would work even better. The intro has an obvious "this is the BIG ending" feel to it, and the whole ending is really monumental, I can just see it as the closing track that way. And also, getting more into details - The Glass Prison opened Six Degrees, so it would make sense for The Shattered Fortress to end BC&SL. :P

Offline darkshade

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
Well, conceptually you have a point, but simply music-wise I think it would work even better. The intro has an obvious "this is the BIG ending" feel to it, and the whole ending is really monumental, I can just see it as the closing track that way. And also, getting more into details - The Glass Prison opened Six Degrees, so it would make sense for The Shattered Fortress to end BC&SL. :P

i know this is an old thread, but i felt i needed to add to it, rather than start a new one

i understand what you mean about "this is the big ending" and all, and it is, especially when you listen to the suite as one piece. the problem with ending the album with TSF is it goes against the Black Clouds AND Silver Linings concept. the first four tracks are dark and heavy, with the last 2 being lighter, more melodic, but still dark at times.

part of me wants to think that TSF also closes out the last series of albums with all the darkness and heaviness; going along with the Suite as well, and TBOT and TCOT begin a new, lighter, more proggy series of albums (or at least the next one). i think the next album will be more in line with TCOT, 8V, Blind Faith, SDOIT, etc. basically BC&SL is the transition from the darker side of DT to the lighter side (or at least less dark) side of DT. theyll probably still be heavy (TCOT has its moments) but im hoping for more prog! and theyll probably ease up on the epics too

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »
While you may accidently be right, I think you're overthinking it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »
I find it kinda silly to be honest. It's like a song written by a DT fan. It's not clever or original. It's just corny and childish in my opinion. I mean I predicted the ending years ago. When I heard it I was like "Really?". It makes no sense because it's like Mike's back to step 1 and is an alcoholic again. It's just one of those things I can imagine a 14 year old DT fan to do "to be prog and creative".

With that said, I think I'll cut out the ending of this song I'm writing. I bet people would find it exciting and original once I tell them it's intentional.

:|

Offline darkshade

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2010, 01:33:32 PM »

with what, the BC&SL concept?

probably, it's just i like to think about the band's music a lot. 2 points to me if what i predict is right  :hat

Offline MS394

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »
I like the keyboard solo as well.  But it's nothing compared to JP's solo in that song.

Exactly;  I'm personally a big fan of JP´s solo in this song, it´s like the perfect combination of bluesy awesomeness and shreddy goodness, classic Petrucci  :tup. Lots of emotion too; at the beginning, the guitar literally sounds like crying wails :hefdaddy

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
It's a very complicated solo...one of his harder solos to play, very nice work by him... :tup

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »
I think the song is fine the way it is, and it also has one of JP's best solos ever.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2010, 05:11:38 PM »
Agree with dblagnt66! he seems like a wise man too! :D

Offline pianoman

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2010, 08:35:24 AM »
Good song. The ONLY really bad thing about is the keyboard solo, it just doesn't end. I seriously black out when it's on.

I guess it's just because I'm mainly a keyboardist, but I think Jordan's solo is nothing short of awesome! I think it's one of his best, that keeps me interested in the song. I'm not a big fan of wankery, but it fits with the awesome riff in the background. Yeah, there are a few solos I am not a fan of (CM, AROP) because they're nothing but wankery to me.

I just don't understand......     

THE HATE FOR THIS AWESOME KEYBOARD SOLO!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2010, 08:40:54 AM »
Don't like it.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2010, 08:43:54 AM »

probably, it's just i like to think about the band's music a lot. 2 points to me if what i predict is right  :hat

I honestly don't understand your point about it somehow not fitting the BCSL theme.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2010, 09:56:35 AM »

I guess it's just because I'm mainly a keyboardist, but I think Jordan's solo is nothing short of awesome! I think it's one of his best, that keeps me interested in the song. I'm not a big fan of wankery, but it fits with the awesome riff in the background. Yeah, there are a few solos I am not a fan of (CM, AROP) because they're nothing but wankery to me.

I actually think it's a good keyboard solo, as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »

I actually think it's a good keyboard solo, as well.
I think it's one of Jordan's best solos!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »

I honestly don't understand your point about it somehow not fitting the BCSL theme.

the song does, but ending the album on a darker song would go against the Silver Linings aspect of the album, thus why it ends with TCOT. (and TBOT, which is a lighter song too, is before it)

TSF ends the Black Clouds portion of the album, understand?  :biggrin:

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2010, 11:42:13 AM »

the song does, but ending the album on a darker song would go against the Silver Linings aspect of the album, thus why it ends with TCOT. (and TBOT, which is a lighter song too, is before it)

A Rite of Passage/Wither don't seem to dark to me.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »

i dont know what constitutes dark or heavy for you, but AROP is heavy, with riffs everywhere. Wither is definitely a darker ballad than say, Another Day?

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2010, 12:09:51 PM »

i dont know what constitutes dark or heavy for you, but AROP is heavy, with riffs everywhere. Wither is definitely a darker ballad than say, Another Day?
As I recall, Wither is about having Writer's Block while Another Day is about Petrucci's dying father....

And AROP never came across to me as being dark. Wasn't it about Masonry or something?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2010, 12:29:09 PM »
I think he meant more musically than lyrically. Though neither song is really dark on either ground.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2010, 01:47:08 PM »

No, actually. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2010, 01:50:05 PM »
I think he meant more musically than lyrically. Though neither song is really dark on either ground.

That was my point. If TSF ended the "Black Clouds" section, that would imply that A Rite of Passage/Wither would be dark. Which apparently they aren't.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »
Well, and the fact that there aren't separate black clouds and silver linings "parts" to the album.