Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209243 times)

Offline BelichickFan

Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #2065 on: April 26, 2021, 01:29:50 PM »
As for Edguy I'm pretty sure I've never listened to an Edguy album more than once.  It just never did anything for me.

Theater of Salvation  :metal

By FAR the best thing Sammet ever did and my favorite power metal album of all time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2066 on: April 26, 2021, 04:17:00 PM »
As for Edguy I'm pretty sure I've never listened to an Edguy album more than once.  It just never did anything for me.

Theater of Salvation  :metal

By FAR the best thing Sammet ever did and my favorite power metal album of all time.

That is indeed a classic power metal album.

As for Edguy, I hope they are not finished.  Big fan.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: April 26, 2021, 04:48:17 PM »
I never got into Edguy so I've got no personal issue if they just disbanded, but as far as I know, they are officially on hiatus and it certainly seems like Tobi could do both but my guess is since Avantasia are more popular, that's where his attention is and I can't blame him both from a personal and logical perspective.  I do feel bad for the fans who like Edguy a lot.  I'd be pretty upset if a favorite musician/band changed focus.

I just hope I can actually see Avantasia live again.  I list their NYC show (almost from 5 years ago today) as one of my all time favorite concerts.  This made me go back to watch my clips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKX-ityao94 They are SUCH a good live band.  The Worcester show from last tour was also really good, but hard to replicate the first time seeing a band live so while amazing, it doesn't rank as high as an all time favorite concert.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2068 on: April 26, 2021, 05:30:22 PM »
I feel for the other 3 guys in Edguy.  At least Felix got the Avantasia gig.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2069 on: April 27, 2021, 07:50:35 AM »
Yeah, that's a bummer.  Maybe I'll revisit some of the Edguy material.  I don't recall disliking it.  I just never really gave those albums a lot of my attention.  That may have only been bad timing.

wolfking, what would you recommend as a good place to start with Edguy if I want to get reintroduced to the group?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2070 on: April 27, 2021, 07:54:01 AM »
Basically the Edguy / Avantasia situation is a bit like the Savatage / Trans Siberian Orchestra one. The "other" band, the project that started to be a more diverse and collaborative effort grows so much in popularity that eats away time and resources for the original band, to the point that it becomes the only band commercially viable.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #2071 on: April 27, 2021, 08:45:31 AM »
what would you recommend as a good place to start with Edguy if I want to get reintroduced to the group?
Right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbuLKlhgung

My personal favorites from that album are "Wake Up the King" and "The Unbeliever" although the title track is the epic of the album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2072 on: April 27, 2021, 04:11:57 PM »
Basically the Edguy / Avantasia situation is a bit like the Savatage / Trans Siberian Orchestra one.

That's an interesting comparison. I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2073 on: April 27, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »
what would you recommend as a good place to start with Edguy if I want to get reintroduced to the group?
Right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbuLKlhgung

My personal favorites from that album are "Wake Up the King" and "The Unbeliever" although the title track is the epic of the album.

Babylon is a textbook definition of power metal if you ask me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2074 on: April 27, 2021, 04:16:40 PM »
That's a great song.

Been ages since I've heard it, but I didn't think the rest of Theater Of Salvation measured up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2075 on: April 27, 2021, 04:18:14 PM »
That's a great song.

Been ages since I've heard it, but I didn't think the rest of Theater Of Salvation measured up.

I can definitely see that. 

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
I've been listening to The Scarecrow a whole lot in the past week or so, and it's an album that just keeps getting better and better for me with every listen. I want to check out more Avantasia albums because I'm really liking this one, but at the same time, The Scarecrow is just keeping me so occupied that I can't simply go and listen to their other albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've been listening to The Scarecrow a whole lot in the past week or so, and it's an album that just keeps getting better and better for me with every listen. I want to check out more Avantasia albums because I'm really liking this one, but at the same time, The Scarecrow is just keeping me so occupied that I can't simply go and listen to their other albums.

It's a wonderful album that's aged very well.

Check out Ghostlights and The Metal Operas if you like the power metal thing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Scarecrow is definitely a top Avantasia album, enjoy it  :metal But once you are ready, do move on.  They have lots of awesome albums that I'm sure you will enjoy. 

Offline 425

I've been listening to Avantasia myself a lot recently. The Scarecrow has never been one of my favorites, though. I just always felt like it fell off the in the second half—I think mainly because I'm not at all into The Toy Master.

I have finally been giving The Wicked Symphony its due, though, and I'm really enjoying that one. It's probably my third favorite after Ghostlights and The Mystery of Time (I'm very much into the "third phase" for this band).

What are folks' thoughts on Angel of Babylon? I've never gotten around to it because universal consensus says it's a weaker entry, but I'm thinking it might be nice to finish the trilogy. How much weaker do people think it is than the previous two, and would you say it's worth it anyway?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Worth listening to if only for Death is Just a Feeling.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
What are folks' thoughts on Angel of Babylon? I've never gotten around to it because universal consensus says it's a weaker entry, but I'm thinking it might be nice to finish the trilogy. How much weaker do people think it is than the previous two, and would you say it's worth it anyway?

If you think The Scarecrow gets weaker in the second half, wait until you hear Angel of Babylon. :P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

If you think The Scarecrow gets weaker in the second half, wait until you hear Angel of Babylon. :P

:lol true

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
As someone who only got into Avantasia in the last year or so I think Angel is the weakest album - in fact in places it feels more like an Edguy album.  However it's still worth checking out because it has one Stella track in 'Promised Land' which is worth it alone, one of Tobias best songs period.  Besides that the first 4 tracks are all solid too good as is the final track.....but tracks 5 - 9 are all a bit ermmm yeah, not so good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
As someone who only got into Avantasia in the last year or so I think Angel is the weakest album - in fact in places it feels more like an Edguy album.  However it's still worth checking out because it has one Stella track in 'Promised Land' which is worth it alone, one of Tobias best songs period.  Besides that the first 4 tracks are all solid too good as is the final track.....but tracks 5 - 9 are all a bit ermmm yeah, not so good.

Yeah, I agree with this.  Album starts off good and just kind of loses it.  I think it's likely my least favorite as well.

Offline 425

Yeah, I agree with this.  Album starts off good and just kind of loses it.  I think it's likely my least favorite as well.

I'm gonna do it because it sounds like there's at least half a good album there, including a couple of different tracks that people are calling can't-miss, but I will consider myself warned. :lol Thanks, folks!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's definitely worth checking out though if you want to keep exploring Avantasia.  Who knows, maybe you will enjoy it more than others. 

Offline 425

I've been into Avantasia for a while, the impetus now is mainly that I've usually focused on the last three albums (well, it was last two when I got into them, since that was before Moonglow came out), and now I'm becoming more interested in the earlier era. For whatever reason, when I first listened to Wicked Symphony a few years ago, I couldn't get into it, so between that and finding The Scarecrow a bit uneven, Angel wasn't really a consideration. Now that I've gotten into TWS, my interest in that era has grown.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2089 on: February 23, 2022, 09:04:34 PM »
Nice. Looking forward to the new album. Some good stuff on Moonglow but not one of my favourites.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: February 24, 2022, 03:50:46 AM »
Nice. Looking forward to the new album. Some good stuff on Moonglow but not one of my favourites.

Easily the weakest Avantasia album.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2091 on: February 24, 2022, 04:57:13 AM »
Tobi checks in...

https://bravewords.com/news/tobias-sammet-says-new-avantasia-album-is-one-of-my-strongest-albums-ever

For those who follow him on social media, he's been "checking in" since a long time, and he's very enthusiastic and optimistic about the new album.

He was kinda feeling burnt out from all the Edguy / Avantasia cycles, he didn't flat out say it but you can guess that the pandemic has been a blessing in disguise for him and he took all his time to work on new music.

He's also becoming in his answers more and more honest about the Edguy situation, once again not direct verbatim confirmations but you can put two and two together and realize his burnout with the band and how he's happier doing things alone at his own pace. Edguy right now has to be considered on hiatus and who knows when he and the other guys will feel like working together again....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2092 on: February 24, 2022, 05:16:54 AM »
Tobi checks in...

https://bravewords.com/news/tobias-sammet-says-new-avantasia-album-is-one-of-my-strongest-albums-ever

I'd love it if someone was actually honest and said "it's not going to go down as my greatest ever album, but this is is still gonna be awesome".  Like fuck... does anyone ever say their latest release isn't "one of my best ever"?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2093 on: February 24, 2022, 05:17:50 AM »
Tobi checks in...

I'd love it if someone was actually honest and said "it's not going to go down as my greatest ever album, but this is is still gonna be awesome".  Like fuck... does anyone ever say their latest release isn't "one of my best ever"?

DT probably should have taken note of this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2094 on: February 24, 2022, 05:26:19 AM »
The new DT is awesome.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2095 on: February 24, 2022, 05:52:09 AM »
The new DT is awesome.

I'm definitely in awe of it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2096 on: February 24, 2022, 10:37:01 AM »
Tobi checks in...

Is it wise for a business to downplay their own product?

Music is a product and you need to sell it. This is how you market things by saying it's the best and hyping the hell out of it.

Also, Musicians have no way of knowing if an album will become their best selling album of all time. There are times when the new album ends up becoming something spectacular where it does become their best of all time. But these take time as well to come to fruition as being considered the best (insert band name) album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Melphina

« Reply #2097 on: February 24, 2022, 11:31:11 AM »
When Stratovarius's last album came out Timo Kotipelto was like "yeah it's a good album" and then had to come back out later and clarify that he thinks it's an excellent album to reassure fans who were paranoid that he wasn't confident in the album because he didn't say it was their best thing ever  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2098 on: February 24, 2022, 02:50:57 PM »
Tobi checks in...

Music is a product and you need to sell it. This is how you market things by saying it's the best and hyping the hell out of it.

Also, Musicians have no way of knowing if an album will become their best selling album of all time. There are times when the new album ends up becoming something spectacular where it does become their best of all time. But these take time as well to come to fruition as being considered the best (insert band name) album.

Errr.....Avantasia are not the type of band that will dramatically sell more albums by the creator coming out and saying it's the best thing ever.  That's just ridiculous, they aren't some manufactured pop outfit for the masses.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: February 24, 2022, 03:03:13 PM »
Tobi checks in...

Errr.....Avantasia are not the type of band that will dramatically sell more albums by the creator coming out and saying it's the best thing ever.  That's just ridiculous, they aren't some manufactured pop outfit for the masses.

Maybe not sell more, but potentially sell less by not saying it.

I do not care for when artists say their latest is the greatest, but it's hard for me to say they shouldn't say it.  I just accept it as promotion/marketing.