Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209284 times)

Online MirrorMask

Invincible, strangely, was played after Alchemy, but he was sooooo good. Like listening to the record.

I found it too weird, but I assume Tobi considered that introducing him with a ballad was not powerful enough, and so he switched the order of the songs. You have to give a proper entrance to the singers, you can't have Jorn Lande coming out for Lucifer as his first song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea I figured the same when I saw the setlist.  Which is killer and it's nice to see no songs were dropped for the US leg this time around  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
That does make sense, yeah.

Also - Promised Land came out in 2007, so I was 16 when I first heard it, and that was probably at my absolute pinnacle of power metal obsession. That song is still nothing but pure delight from start to finish for me and to hear it live was just TOO F'ING COOL!! *imitates Jorn scream* :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Made it to Worcester for the show tongiht  :metal :metal took 90 minutes more than my GPS initially said, terrible traffic through connecticut which made me super annoyed as I didn't have time to stop at one of those, uhm green shops, anyway.  It was nice to pull into my hotel parking lots and see all sorts of band tshirts, this lobby might be fun after the show  :lol (it's a short walk to the venue so perfect spot for the out of towners to spend the night).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Made it to Worcester for the show tongiht  :metal :metal took 90 minutes more than my GPS initially said, terrible traffic through connecticut which made me super annoyed as I didn't have time to stop at one of those, uhm green shops, anyway.  It was nice to pull into my hotel parking lots and see all sorts of band tshirts, this lobby might be fun after the show  :lol (it's a short walk to the venue so perfect spot for the out of towners to spend the night).

Oh the show is tonight. I totally forgot. I would've gone if Kiske was touring and if the new album didn't blow.

Have fun!! It's actually a great place to see a show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Have fun!! It's actually a great place to see a show.

Good to hear, I have a front row balcony seat so should be an awesome view.  And the new album doesn't suck, at all, but it is more standard Avantasia.  3 hours with all those singers though... Im drooling.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Have a blast cram, I know you will!  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gazinwales

Moonglow is pretty decent, it certainly dosen't blow at all.
I saw them last week in Sydney and honestly I didn't miss Kiske or even wish he was onstage.
The show was just that good, easily in my top 5 gigs ever.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's a ME problem. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
TAC is to Moonglow what I am to Mystery of Time. I feel your pain, brother.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Honestly, a lot of it has to do with the vocalists. I think Tobi is a great songwriter, but I'm not a fan of him, vocally. I think he's much improved, and all due respect to him, but I just don't like his voice.

Mystery Of Time has healthy doses of Kiske, plus Biff Byford, and Joe Lynn Turner. They appeal to me greatly.

I've only heard Moonglow once right when I got it. I should probably give it a second spin, but I honestly have no real desire to.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Byford and JLT do nothing for me, so that makes sense.  :lol

When I was at the gig on Tuesday, I realized Tobi sounds way better than he has in a long time. There was this period from around 2009 to 2013, roughly, where I was afraid he was running himself ragged with how much he was touring and recording and pushing himself, but I think sharing the stage with so many other singers - and letting them take over for entire songs - has really helped preserve his voice live. He sounds refreshed and energetic. Hell I think he sounded better on Tuesday than he did when I saw him with Edguy 10 years ago, although back then he hit some extraordinarily high notes quite often.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well that was an awesome experience, I'm pretty beat and traffic killed me.  I'll write more another time, but I'll just say amazing concert that met all my expectations. 

and when I left the hotel this morning, I got in the elevator with Miro and Herbie  :metal Looked like crew and some of the "not stars" stayed at the same hotel and were packing up outside heading to the airport to go to Mexico.  Spoke to Miro for a bit as he smoked a cig, told him I loved his old work with Kamelot and spoke about how the crowd didn't really show up last night (place was not filled at all) but he said he loved it regardless and didn't even seem to understand that power metal isn't very popular in the US

also

Avantasia - The Books of Shallows LIVE @ Worcester Palladium MA 5/24/19

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad you had a blast, cram!!! That's so cool you got to talk to Miro.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually went on youtube and that video showed up in my feed! :metal

The reason no one was there was because Kiske wasn't there. Just saying. That place was PACKED for Helloween last year.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I actually went on youtube and that video showed up in my feed! :metal

The reason no one was there was because Kiske wasn't there. Just saying. That place was PACKED for Helloween last year.

Nice and yea, they didnt even sell tickets for the last 10 rows of the balcony, and the rest of it was only half full.  The pit on the floor was hardly full. It was a fun active crowd totally into it, just not that many people overall sadly. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Chicago show was PACKED even without Kiske. 1400-something capacity venue, wouldn't be surprised if over 1000 people were there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They obviously thought he was touring. Doesn't surprise me..dumb Midwesterners. :lol

The TACs went to Chicago a few years ago. We have a family picture of that trip in our kitchen.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
They obviously thought he was touring. Doesn't surprise me..dumb Midwesterners. :lol

It's on like Donkey Kong, you east coast heathen.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Come at me brah!

Pikachoose your fate!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol That moment when you realize TAC is more hip to Pokemon than any television series in the last 25 years.  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Anyway, to expand further on my Avantasia experience now that I am home and rested

The road trip suuuuckkkked in terms of the drive, insane amounts of traffic and a huge bloody looking bird shit hit my car about 2 hours in, but I didn't want to stop at a gas station to clean it because my GPS just kept going up in time.  Well, I made it with good enough time regardless, but a frustrating start.  Never the less, it only got better from there.  The venue was maybe only 1/2 full if you consider they didn't sell the back of the balcony, the remaining was half full and the floor was packed up close but had plenty of room.  I felt bad for the band who traveled so far to play here.  I ended up running into some friends who I've met at other shows in NYC, including Avantasia 3 years ago, so it was nice seeing this group road tripping and bitching about the traffic too.

I got to my seat and it turns out its not assigned seating on the balcony, but general admission for the first three rows (which my ticket was for apparently although it said row A).  Whatever, it wasn't full but the front row was, either way, I endd up sitting dead center without anyone next to me.  It was fine, although kind of a dumb scenario.  Maybe it's because it wasn't sold well, they'd rather have people up front than all spread out? 

The show was perfect essentially, they sounded great.  I can't say a single negative thing about their musicianship and performance.  Even when the singers are singing say, Hansi's part, sure it's not what I expect from the album, but it was still really awesome and well done.  The show just seemed to go on and on.  I wish I had done this earlier though, but eventually I just went down onto the floor and I enjoyed the show from there much more.  THe people were REALLY into the show, and you couldn't feel that from upstairs.  My only regret was not doing this earlier. 

After the show, since my hotel was a couple blocks down the street, I saw a group of people waiting outside the back entrance of the venue so decided to chill.  Ran into my concert friends again and we all BSed for like an hour as we watched the band slowly come out.  Got to talk to Sascha, but others I just mostly watched if they interacted with the group.  None of the main singers really came over to the group, just wrapped heads in towels and into the vans.  However, at the end, Tobi did come out last and came over very briefly with a few people surrounding him.  It was kind of crazy to see his entourage, all speaking german, just like pushing him essentially.  He did take one picture with one group, I had my handed extended for a fist bump, he put his out to do it and his entourage pushed him away, he looked almost dead honestly.  It was a surreal experience. 

Some pics:

From the balcony:

From the floor:

Tobi (and look at Bob sitting in the fan  :lol ):

and of course my video:

Avantasia LIVE @ Worcester Palladium MA 5/24/19

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also during that show Bob said it was his last one of the tour with Avantasia, so I checked and it looks like Geoff sung Mystery of a Blood Red Rose in Mexico, I wonder how that went (and they didn't perform Lavender).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #1984 on: September 09, 2019, 07:33:32 AM »
Sporting my Avantasia t-shirt today and I just randomly remembered this picture of Chad and Amanda and I'm laughing right now. :lol

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1985 on: September 09, 2019, 07:38:38 AM »
The fence!! :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1986 on: September 09, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »
 :lol  Fence or no fence, at least I did get to meet her.  You're all jealous, admit it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: September 09, 2019, 12:09:12 PM »
What the hell  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1988 on: September 09, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »
You're all jealous, admit it.

I'm on the fence about that.

:badpunemoticon:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1989 on: September 09, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
:lol  Fence or no fence, at least I did get to meet her.  You're all jealous, admit it.

Spin, spin, spin.  She says "Fence, for MY protection."  You say, "ribbed, for HER pleasure."  Who should be believe?  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1990 on: September 09, 2019, 12:29:36 PM »

Spin, spin, spin.  She says "Fence, for MY protection."  You say, "ribbed, for HER pleasure."  Who should be believe?  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1991 on: September 09, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »
I heard she bought a bag of peanuts to feed him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1992 on: September 09, 2019, 01:43:23 PM »

You got her autograph too right.......

.......on the restraining order.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1993 on: September 09, 2019, 02:16:16 PM »
You're all jealous, admit it.

I'm on the fence about that.

:badpunemoticon:

I'm usually pretty resistant to puns but hahahaha :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1994 on: September 09, 2019, 03:03:10 PM »

No need to take ofFENCE mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.