Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 212108 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #1890 on: March 20, 2019, 12:50:51 AM »
I just assumed it was a pretty well known 80's hit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1891 on: March 20, 2019, 03:16:01 AM »
At least here in Germany it is. You can still hear that song once or twice a week on radio.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1892 on: March 20, 2019, 06:21:09 PM »
Wasn’t the original “Maniac”  from the movie Flashdance? Pretty sure it was. In any case, I thought it was pretty gross even way back then. The inclusion of the cover version of Moonglow is a head scratcher for me. I could understand as a bonus track... in any case, not a real big deal for me as the rest of the album is absolutely stellar!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1893 on: March 26, 2019, 04:43:43 AM »
So, tour starts tomorrow. I will be seeing the fourth date on the tour this sunday  :metal

So, saturday I already have a concert, then dayliight savings kick in and we'll sleep one hour less, and then sunday I have a three hours gig. I pity future myself Monday morning  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1894 on: March 26, 2019, 08:13:15 AM »
I'm curious to see the setlist

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1895 on: March 26, 2019, 08:29:45 AM »
I don't want to know and I won't be reading this thread until monday, but I would assume:

- Opening with Ghost in the Moon, their shows always start with Tobi solo
- Every singer actually present gets their Moonglow song, and Invincible and Alchemy will be played back to back
- There's Geoff Tate so probably we'll hear Seduction of Decay too
- Minimal number of Kiske songs, maybe he'll not have a proper "replacement" and, say, Eric Martin sings Reach Out for the Light and Ronnie Atkins sings another one
- An oldie from The Metal Opera part II, I remember Tobi making a post about how Seven Angels is cool and all but there are also other songs, adding "not The Final Sacrifice, that's a throat killer"
- The new female vocalist will sing the title track
- The usual suspects for the classics

The problem with making an Avantasia setlist is that you can't really just play 20-25 random songs, you have to take in consideration all the singers and space them out, so you're somehow limited... we could say that the Ayreon universe show did that, but there were so many singers to being with, here they're 4-5 so you have to pace them properly....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1896 on: March 26, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »
Yea, that's why I am so curious because it's pretty difficult to arrange all the singers and still play the songs they want to play (and us fans want to hear), plus to see what older songs they play and swap up from last tour. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1897 on: March 26, 2019, 10:02:03 AM »
3 hours of The Seven Angels please
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1898 on: March 26, 2019, 11:11:50 AM »
So, saturday I already have a concert, then dayliight savings kick in and we'll sleep one hour less, and then sunday I have a three hours gig. I pity future myself Monday morning  :lol

This rocks and sucks at the same time. :lol I have a string of concerts planned on June 9th, 10th and 11th. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I'm looking forward and also not looking forward to that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1899 on: March 28, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »
Well that's a pretty epic setlist, but there's a song in there I think people might not be happy about  :lol Honestly just still boggles my mind they are even playing it too.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/avantasia/2019/mestska-sportova-hala-presov-slovakia-7b93b21c.html

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1900 on: March 28, 2019, 09:04:31 AM »
Maaaan that is an epic setlist. Including the song that'll trigger everyone. I CAN'T WAIT FOR MAY!!  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: March 28, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Not to raise this debate again, but four songs from Ghostlights (including Master of the Pendulum) and nothing from The Mystery of Time? The hell? Otherwise alright setlist, don't mind seeing Maniac live tbh. Lavender sucks but hey, it's the new album tour, I hope they'll shelve it after this one. The pre-Mystery picks are very predictable, but they're good songs so I'm fine with that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1902 on: March 28, 2019, 09:40:39 AM »
I used to HATE Maniac back in the '80s.  It isn't a "bad" song, but it can be irritating.  And the fact that it was played CONSTANTLY really drove up the irritation factor.  But enough time has gone by, and the cover is actually pretty good, so I don't mind it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1903 on: March 28, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
I like it as a cover song, I don't like it as an album track, I'll hold off judgement until I see it live, I do think it is a fun song and maybe comes off well live.  I just kind of would have rather them pull out an original tune, maybe a deeper cut or something instead. 

I was also surprised by the lack of Mystery of Time

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1904 on: March 28, 2019, 10:05:47 AM »
The lack of Mystery love warms the cockles of my heart. It's as if Tobi read my posts. Hell yeah. :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1905 on: March 29, 2019, 11:00:15 AM »
It looks like Tate is getting a decent amount of songs - Twisted Mind, Alchemy, Invincible and Avantasia.  So far, this is the best video of Alchemy I've found.  Hopefully we'll get some better ones as the tour goes on.  Geoff sounds pretty good here - his big "We're gonna shove it down their throats" section is around 3:30.

Alchemy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BJe-yer4PI

Jorn and Tobi are so great together on stage.  I love watching them sing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1906 on: March 31, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
I didn't want to watch videos and spoil myself for the live show (besides seeing the setlist, that I couldn't help myself) but decided to check out Moonglow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKRene0GaA

She sounds really good even though this audio is not that good.   :metal  I've come around to enjoy this song now that I'm past the point of comparing it to Nightwish, it definitely works well which I figured it would

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1907 on: April 01, 2019, 02:37:55 AM »
I'VE SEEN THE CONCERT, ALL KINDS OF SPOILERS FOLLOW

Man, what a show!!! by now the "surprise" effect of the Avantasia ensemble is gone, so you know what you're gonna get: 3 hours of music, singers coming and going, you can somehow predict the setlist in broad strokes, but hey, even having seen it already twice (and each time every three years anyway) doesn't take anything from the sheer magnitude of this glorious musical event!!!

Stage design was probably the best yet; some very nice and eye-candy physical decorations, with the Burtonesque trees from the cover and lanters, and a giant screen to change the backdrop (Iron Maiden would have used actual backdrops).

Intro is Beethoven's Hymn to Joy, and Ghost in the Moon starts with the riff of when the song kicks in - Tobi still sings the very beginning, but adding the riff before what in the album version is just Tobi and piano alone makes for a more bombastic start of the show, good call.

I was wondering what they would do with Book of Shallows... turned out just a duet with Ronnie Atkins, and one of the female vocalists (I didn't know there were two!) sang the Petrozza parts, she's a mean screamer that one! she was fitting and sweet for Moonglow but like Alyssa from Arch Enemy she can turn the aggressive vocals on.

Geoff Tate was good, his songs came out quite nicely. Oliver Hartmann KILLED IT on Reach out for the Light, he should have gotten all the Kiske songs!

About Maniac... first of all, it was a moment when I was walking around the venue to find a better spot, so I didn't really pay too much attention :lol but while we all agree, I guess, that it should have never been on the album and definitively it shouldn't be played live, it's a fun and short rocking song that in a live setting comes out well. I mean, it's weird that they played it, but when you're actually there, you can go along with it and survive it I guess.

On the other hand, I was SO GLAD that they found room for Master of the Pendulum, that song is great and catchy and it went down with a blast live. I actually didn't notice that they didn't play any songs off The Mystery of Time, would have loved to hear The Great Mystery again for example.

The ending was as classic ad it can get, everyone waving hands during Farewell, and the final joint ensemble of Sign of the Cross, it's always great to see the seemingly endless line of singers announced and coming on stage one by one, and everyone at the end jumping along to that stupidly and irresistibly catchy snippet of The Seven Angels.

It was a marathon and it didn't help having switched to daylight savings time and also having another concert the night before, but who cares, these are events to live for :metal if you like Avantasia and you already saw them, you know what you're gonna get so go if you can, it happens once every three years and as we've seen with Kiske not everyone's presence is granted so enjoy it while it lasts!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1908 on: April 01, 2019, 07:53:36 AM »
Thanks for the review MM, sounds like it was an amazing show! I just have one quibble:

while we all agree, I guess, that it should have never been on the album and definitively it shouldn't be played live

Speak for yourself, Maniac rules  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1909 on: April 01, 2019, 08:24:55 AM »
Well, then you'll have a blast seeing that song live  :D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: April 01, 2019, 11:50:39 AM »
I'm sure it'll be fun live, been absolutely loving Ghost in the Moon, that song is just such a blast.  I'm really salivating thinking of the concert in May, definitely my most anticipated band to see this year for me, and that's with Iron Maiden and Dream Theater on my list this year.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1911 on: April 07, 2019, 03:41:23 AM »
I'm sure this has been done in the past, but as I was listening some Avantasia, I had an urge to rank their 9+ minute epics. Especially now since there is the new album out.

1. The Scarecrow
2. Savior in the Clockwork
3. The Wicked Symphony
4. The Seven Angels
5. Ghost in the Moon
6. Stargazers
7. The Raven Child
8. The Great Mystery
9. Let The Storm Descend Upon You
10. The Tower

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1912 on: April 07, 2019, 05:25:18 AM »
The Scarecrow
The Seven Angels
The Tower
Savior in the Clockwork
Let the Storm Descend Upon You
The Wicked Symphony
The Great Mystery
The Raven Child
Stargazers
Ghost in the Moon
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1913 on: April 07, 2019, 08:36:40 AM »
Savior in the Clockwork
The Scarecrow
The Raven Child
Ghost in the Moon
The Seven Angels
The Wicked Symphony
Stargazers
The Tower
The Great Mystery

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: April 07, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
1. The Seven Angels
2. The Wicked Symphony
3. The Scarecrow
4. Ghost In The Moon (this song is just amazing and I can see it hitting top 3)
5. Stargazers
6. The Tower
7. Let The Storm Descend Upon You
8. The Raven Child
9. Savior in the Clockwork
10. The Great Mystery

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1915 on: April 07, 2019, 09:44:00 AM »
The Scarecrow
Saviour in the Clockwork
The Seven Angels
The Raven Child / The Wicked Symphony
The Tower
Stargazers
The Great Mystery / Ghost in the Moon

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1916 on: April 08, 2019, 07:45:46 AM »
I can only divide them in very super bestest half and second half, don't think of these as completely precise rankings:

The Scarecrow
The Great Mystery
The Seven Angels
The Wicked Symphony
-----
The Raven Child
Ghost in the Moon
Stargazers
The Tower
Savior in the Clockwork

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1917 on: April 18, 2019, 01:52:56 AM »
The last track "Heart" always reminded me of something and I couldn't put my finger on it. This morning while listening to it in the car it hit me.

This sounds like a Journey track, not any song in particular but that style is absolutely Journey imo. Imagine Steve Perry singing it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1918 on: April 25, 2019, 09:54:39 PM »
I had a similar experience the other day when listening to ‘Saviour in the Clockwork ‘. Reminded me of something, but couldn’t put my finger on it. It then clicked that it and DT’s ‘Moment of Betrayal’ from The Astonishing have an uncannily similar chorus. Which is cool as I like both songs  :metal

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1919 on: April 26, 2019, 12:20:14 AM »
One week until I will see Avantasia live for the first time.....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1920 on: April 26, 2019, 01:00:08 AM »

Brace yourself for something mindblowing  :metal

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1921 on: April 26, 2019, 03:04:39 AM »

Brace yourself for something mindblowing  :metal

Oh I do..... haven't even seen Geoff Tate live before despite them being huge favorites up til and including Promised Land.

I think this is the year for mindblowing for me.... will also get to see Ayreon live for the first time in September.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1922 on: April 26, 2019, 03:09:50 AM »
Hope you'll have a blast! My turn is in eight days, hopefully no one loses their voice or falls from the stage at your gig.  :biggrin:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: April 26, 2019, 06:23:25 AM »
One month for me  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: April 26, 2019, 07:08:30 AM »
3.5 weeks for me. First time ever, and 10 years since I last saw Tobi live. Gonna hopefully meet several friends I haven't seen since Helloween last year (or earlier). Can't freaking wait. Just wish Kiske was with them but at least I saw him with ween :)