Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209256 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
In regards to Jorn—and let me say I love Jorn's voice—I think Tobias have gone a little too safe with Jorn after The Scarecrow. I felt that from The Wicked Symphony onwards, Jorn was more like a given on Avantasia albums, and then the time had come to record The Mystery of Time, and Tobias totally had Jorn in sights, but then Jorn said "hey, I can record the studio vocals but I won't be there for the tour". Tobias then had to find other singers for that album, and I thought that was a much needed breath of fresh air for Avantasia; for I can't imagine Jorn performing anywhere on TMOT except maybe Invoke the Machine.

Then Jorn was back for Ghostlights, and as far as I'm concerned, Lucifer notwithstanding, even though Tobias cut down his participation for the actual vocal duties, that album was Avantasia by numbers, and while for other bands that would've been sufficient, I've got higher standards for anything Tobias is releasing, because he himself set the bar at its highest. And, well, I know that Ghostlights is the most critically acclaimed Avantasia album. I just hope Tobias doesn't give a shit about that, and that he will write and record whatever he wants.

I'm kinda rambling. I'm not saying that I don't want Jorn on Moonglow, I'm saying that I want Tobias to maybe explore some new grounds with this album, or at least to not stick to the tried-and-true formula he used on some previous album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think it goes without saying that we want to see the band continue being themselves without repeating themselves.  Kind of the same with Catley, but I guess it applies to Jorn too, just that.... Jorn is just soooo good that I'd almost rather have him to something similar than not have him at all.  Wheras Catley is a little more disposable to my ears. 

Something about seeing Jorn live too (Catley didn't make the NA dates) that he has such power in his vocals and delivery.  I was blown away.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh yeah, I loved seeing Jorn live (he wasn't there for TMOT tour, so it was a treat for Ghostlights tour, that's for sure). Catley also didn't make Russian dates, so we're in the same boat there, Eric Martin stepped for Bob for our gig.

Online MirrorMask

Bob Catley live is awesome.

And now I remember Tobi on FB saying something on the lines of "Well, when I didn't work with Catley when it wasn't Edguy?" in reply to a question about him, maybe those were not the exact words but he implied that it was kinda a given teaming up with Bob, so I assume he will be again on the new album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
fuck

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
??

At least it's better then hearing he's on the next Queensryche album..

He was fine on Ghostlights.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I thought he sounded pretty awful on Ghostlights; his track is the only one on the album I always skip. I'd rather he be on the next Queensryche album, since I don't really listen to Queensryche.

Oh well. Hopefully Tobi only gives him one song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Tate was passable on Ghostlights, hopefully one song again is enough.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:33:13 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Yo, hold up, Seduction of Decay is one of the best songs on Ghostlights.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tate was passable on Ghostostlights, hopefully one song again is enough.

I knew Tobi would do a great job with him, and I thought he got as much out of Tate as he could. I was fine with it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yo, hold up, Seduction of Decay is one of the best songs on Ghostlights.

You and me have a very different definition of "best"

:iagree:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Okay jingles, gotta know your fave GL songs now  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Let the Storm Descend Upon you was my favorite track from 2016.  After that, Ghostlights, Lucifer, Unchain the Light, Restless Heart & Obsidian Skies.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Let the Storm Descend Upon you was my favorite track from 2016.  After that, Ghostlights, Lucifer, Unchain the Light, Restless Heart & Obsidian Skies.

Nice. That's me too, except replace RHOS with Seduction. Pendulum is close behind.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Haunting is an Alice Cooper mashup of Steven/This House Is Haunted/Might As Well Be On Mars. Tobi should've just brought Alice in to sing it.

The title track is my favorite track off Ghostlights.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Nice. That's me too, except replace RHOS with Seduction. Pendulum is close behind.

I agree with the bolded.  That would be the next ranking tune.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Polarbear

Honestly, Tate sounded better on Ghostlights than any of the post Now Frontier Queesryche albums. Still not great, but better. Problem was, that Seduction of Decay sounded like a B- side filler. Hopefully Tobi gives him something better to work with this time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea, Tate was fine, just was singing on one of the lesser songs from the album IMO.  One song is enough on the next album for me.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Seduction Of Decay is one of the better songs imo and Tate was solid. But to be content with a solid performance by one of the leading metal singers of the past is actually kinda sad.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Seduction Of Decay is one of the better songs imo and Tate was solid. But to be content with a solid performance by one of the leading metal singers of the past is actually kinda sad.

Yeah, but it was as good as he'd done in almost 20 years.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's pretty close to what my favs would be too I'd say.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I am listening to TMOT, and it feels weird listening to it in the midst of summer and 100 degree weather.  I so associate this album with winter.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I am listening to TMOT, and it feels weird listening to it in the midst of summer and 100 degree weather.  I so associate this album with winter.

Same. I often associate albums with weather and seasons, but this is the only Avantasia album that screams 'winter' to me. Scarecrow makes me think of summer, but none of the others have associations like that for me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Same. I often associate albums with weather and seasons, but this is the only Avantasia album that screams 'winter' to me. Scarecrow makes me think of summer, but none of the others have associations like that for me.

Yea agree with both albums/seasons although I never really thought of until now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Each of those two album covers may influence this.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1357 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
Tobi has slowly been revealing the guest singers for MoonGlow (maybe this thread title needs to change?) and so far here is the listing (from Facebook):

One of the funniest and most soulful singers I have ever shared the stage with. Mr Big’s Eric Martin - will be on the MOONGLOW ALBUM!

After Kreator’s Mille Petrozza, Geoff Tate, Magnum’s Bob Catley, Candice Night and the striking viking Jornus Brutus Landus the next addition to the MOONGLOW album line up (album out February 1st).

So far two new voices and the normal supporting cast

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1358 on: October 01, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »
And they announced the show in Moscow, too. Gonna be my third Avantasia show. Definitely getting my ticket this week.  :metal

Pretty sure Candice will be featured on some redundant ballad though. Last tune with Sharon den Adel was not impressive at all.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: October 01, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
Ummm, Mille is a big WTF choice, but okay, I'm hesitantly on board with it. At least Taters is back (Seduction of Decay rules), and no Jorn = likely another Mystery of Time so thank god he's in it.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1360 on: October 01, 2018, 01:13:20 PM »
I love the idea of having Mille Petrozza.  The rest are all fine by me!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: October 01, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »
I love the idea of having Mille Petrozza.  The rest are all fine by me!

I'm really curious how he uses him.  Kreator was pretty cool when I saw them earlier this year, but I feel like Tobi not only makes fun of Kreator a lot, but also those types of vocals.  I wonder if it's going to be like a Tate and he really makes him work with Avantasia.

Pretty sure Candice will be featured on some redundant ballad though. Last tune with Sharon den Adel was not impressive at all.

I thought the same thing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: October 01, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »
I'm expecting Mille to be on a song that's something like a cross between The Final Sacrifice and Invoke the Machine... it'll definitely be interesting.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1363 on: October 02, 2018, 01:11:50 AM »
I'm expecting Mille to be on a song that's something like a cross between The Final Sacrifice and Invoke the Machine... it'll definitely be interesting.

Yeah, kinda like having Ripper on Scales of Justice.

Candice will do a ballad for sure, I hope that Bob Catley gets something else other than "final uplifting and ballad-ish song" this time.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1364 on: October 02, 2018, 04:01:56 AM »
Pretty excited that Tobi got Candice onboard for this. Her voice can shatter mountains, she is so good. Hope she get's something decent to sing!

Eric Martin is good, and Petrozza is a weird left field choice. Shaping up to be an interesting album..