Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209410 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Please please please let there be a collab with Bruce Dickinson. That would be insanely brilliant.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I will squeal with joy if he ever gets Bruce to guest star in Avantasia but I'm not holding my breath. But even Bruce couldn't have saved The Mystery of Time from being a big ol' turd, so hopefully the next Avantasia is more like Ghostlights.  :biggrin:

Also I grow saltier with every passing year that Avantasia has overshadowed Edguy so much. Edguy is nothing more than a fallback from Avantasia these days, and that annoys me...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Please no Bruce, and I don't really care for much Edguy, so more Avantasia works just fine for me.

Offline MirrorMask

Also I grow saltier with every passing year that Avantasia has overshadowed Edguy so much. Edguy is nothing more than a fallback from Avantasia these days, and that annoys me...

Well, they were always alternated, an Edguy cycle, and then an Avantasia cycle. But now supposedly a greatest hits with only five new songs and a short tour count as an Edguy cycle.

He also said he won't be on stage this year, so don't expect the album to be out anytime soon.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Well, they were always alternated, an Edguy cycle, and then an Avantasia cycle. But now supposedly a greatest hits with only five new songs and a short tour count as an Edguy cycle.

He also said he won't be on stage this year, so don't expect the album to be out anytime soon.

I suppose I'm irrationally salty because it was initially "Avantasia isn't coming back!" then they came back. Then it was "Avantasia is just a side gig!" until Tobi started being more prolific with it than Edguy. Now it's, like you said, just a greatest hits with a few new songs, which if you don't count that as a 'studio' release then we're going 4 years now without a new album. Avantasia's had 4 albums (and apparently a 5th in the works) since 2010... Edguy has had 2. Grumble grumble, rabble rabble, I'm just grumpy.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Id be upset too if I liked Ed Guy more than Avantasia, but I don't so this makes me super happy.

I'd love to see Bruce take a part with Avantasia, but I have no expectations of that happening.  I would expect a similar cast as usual, maybe more Tate honestly since it seems him and Tobi are buds now.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I suppose I'm irrationally salty because it was initially "Avantasia isn't coming back!" then they came back. Then it was "Avantasia is just a side gig!" until Tobi started being more prolific with it than Edguy. Now it's, like you said, just a greatest hits with a few new songs, which if you don't count that as a 'studio' release then we're going 4 years now without a new album. Avantasia's had 4 albums (and apparently a 5th in the works) since 2010... Edguy has had 2. Grumble grumble, rabble rabble, I'm just grumpy.

:getoffmylawn:

Id be upset too if I liked Ed Guy more than Avantasia, but I don't so this makes me super happy.

:iagree:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:33:48 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The Mystery of Time is one of their best albums, whereas Ghostlights was just mostly boring. I'm optimistic for the next one though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Bah. My opinions on Tobias Sammet and Kamelot are clearly in the minority here  :lol :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Mystery of Time is one of their best albums

It's amazing. My favorite easily.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Bah. My opinions on Tobias Sammet and Kamelot are clearly in the minority here  :lol :biggrin:

Nah, with TMOT it's like 50/50 I think. Some of us here love it, some prefer Ghostlights.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Polarbear

I have never been disappointed with a Avantasia release, hopefully this new one won't be an exception. And for the record, I prefer The Mystery of Time over Ghostlights.

As to who might appear on this new album, probably the usual suspects. I would also place my bets on Andi Deris appearing. According to this one interview, Deris and Kiske have become good friends during the Pumpkins United tour. I wouldn't be surprised if Kiske pulls a few strings with Tobi, since he is surely going to be part of it.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
I could be wrong, but I think I read that Kiske is contracted exclusively to Helloween, so maybe he won’t be part of the next Avantasia album.

It’s very close between TMOT and Ghostlights. Ghostlights shades it because of Jorn. The song Lucifer also adds extra bonus points. I absolutely love it.  :metal

Offline gazinwales

I doubt if Kiske is contracted to anyone, but given that Helloween and Avantasia are on the same label, Nuclear Blast, I wouldn't have thought that being on the next Avantasia album would be an issue.
If anything I would say NB encouraging him to be on it, as this can be a major selling point in the album promo.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
From Facebook....
New AVANTASIA work in progress. Creative break in England! It's shaping up nicely. Have a great day everyone. -T

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I like Ghostlights more than TMOT but TMOT is fantastic, really awesome album.  Ghostlights is just a tad better IMO.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
For me, Ghostlights has more highs, but also has more lows.  TMOT is more consistent, but the 'highs' of Ghostlights make outweigh the lows making it the slightly more preferred album for me - but I do hit the skip button more than a few times.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I think I like Ghostlights and TMOT equally, both are really good. My favorite is still The Scarecrow, but the fact that it was my introduction to Avantasia may play a part in rating it higher than the rest.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

For me The Mystery of Time has the best opener (Spectres) and the best closer (The Great Mystery). Ghostlights wins all over basically everything else (but the ballads are both me).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I like Ghostlights and TMOT equally, both are really good. My favorite is still The Scarecrow, but the fact that it was my introduction to Avantasia may play a part in rating it higher than the rest.

Or the fact that it is the best them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's tough, but I'd go Ghostlights.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Or the fact that it is the best them.

I hated that album when it first released... was not Avantasia at all, but then again everyone was expecting Metal Opera style of music... I love it these days but still don't like What Kind of Love and Carry Me Over.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ghostlights
TMOT
Scarecrow

The trifecta of amazing Avantasia albums.  The rest are good, but don't come close to these three for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
If this is Ghostlights-level awful, I'm not interested.  But if it is even half as good as TMOT, I'm sure I'll like it. 

I've been meaning to check out their back catalog.  Listening to Scarecrow now, and liking what I hear so far.  I may have to pick this one up.

EDIT:  Wow, I'm really digging Scarecrow.  I need to get this.  The Toy Master is really cool.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:43:42 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
EDIT:  Wow, I'm really digging Scarecrow.  I need to get this.  The Toy Master is really cool.

Alice!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Alice!! :metal

Really awesome song, I'd love to see Alice perform with Avantasia

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
The Toy Master is the perfect song for Alice Cooper. Deliciously creepy.

The Scarecrow (song) is one of their very best, IMO. Maybe even my favourite Avantasia song. I’m not sure what “they put a spoke right in your wheel” means, but I’ll let it slide..  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Death Is Just A Feeling would've been perfect for Alice Cooper instead of having Jon Oliva barf all over himself trying to impersonate Alice Cooper.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Man, for all the complaints I have about Scarecrow, the title track is a god damn masterpiece. Jorn does a great job in the beginning but comes back at the end to let everyone know who the real man in charge is. She'll better off to cry CONTRITE TEEEEAAAAARRRRYEEAHHHHS :metardica: :2metal:

bosk, does that mean you've never heard the MOs? Dude. Go play Seven Angels like, yesterday.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
What is MOs?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Metal Operas Pts 1 & 2

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Aye. I prefer Pt. 2 to 1 personally. Not sure how well they've aged particularly for someone who's never heard them but they're two of the defining albums of that late 90s, early 2000s super power metal style (my fave).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Well, I was listening to Scarecrow, and then Wicked Symphony came on next.  That was pretty cool as well.  Then Ghostlights came on next.  I vomited all over my keyboard.

Offline MirrorMask

Death Is Just A Feeling would've been perfect for Alice Cooper instead of having Jon Oliva barf all over himself trying to impersonate Alice Cooper.

I think Jon Oliva simply did evil Jon Oliva with that song. He did what he does when he wants to be creepy. Listen to him impersonating the devil on TSO's "Mephistopheles" and "Misery".