Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209247 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1225 on: September 13, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »
To add to my prior post about Ghostlights:  I am listening now just because it was the next up in my playlist and was reminded of one more reason I don't really care for this album.  Draconian Love just came out, and it is such a laughably bad song that I can't believe Tobi thought it was a good idea to include it on the album as anything but a joke interlude.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1226 on: September 13, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
To add to my prior post about Ghostlights:  I am listening now just because it was the next up in my playlist and was reminded of one more reason I don't really care for this album.  Draconian Love just came out, and it is such a laughably bad song that I can't believe Tobi thought it was a good idea to include it on the album as anything but a joke interlude.

That song is awesome.  I'm a big fan of the Finnish style of metal (i.e. Sentenced/Poisonblack/To Die For) where that is a very popular sound, so it may explain why I love it so much.

The chorus in that song is huge, and I love that they changed the vocals and recorded them an octave lower to give it more of that gothy sound.

Laughably bad on that album is the blood red rose song.  Ugh.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1227 on: September 13, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
That's a funny way of spelling The Haunting, guys.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: September 13, 2017, 01:23:11 PM »

One of my favorites from the album.  Song is soooo catchy.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1229 on: September 13, 2017, 01:30:35 PM »
Draconian love is awesome! liking or at the very least being used to that kind of sound like Grappler pointed out could help, sure, but I find the song a very accomplished experiment in that style and with a bombastic chorus that was a blast live.

And The Haunting is great as well, maybe it's redundant since there's already Death is Just a Feeling, but I love it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: September 13, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »
I enjoy the Haunting much more than Death is Just A Feeling

But yea, that chorus in Draconian Love  :metal :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: September 13, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »
Hated Draconian Love the first time I heard it. Now it's one of my go-to songs to play while I shower. Or Seduction of Decay... More like SUDuction of Decay.  :lol

I'll show myself out...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1232 on: September 13, 2017, 01:50:21 PM »

:dunno:  Okay, well, I guess all I can say is, okay...  I mean, even when I strongly dislike something, I can reasonably step back from it and appreciate that there are aspects that others can find suit their individual tastes.  But even allowing for personal opinions, this one is just a headscratcher for me.  I just don't find anything in it that I can latch onto and say, "Yeah, somebody with different tastes could absolutely like this."  I just don't find anything even slightly redeeming in anything about this song.  But, hey, tastes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1233 on: September 13, 2017, 01:50:53 PM »
More like SUDuction of Decay.  :lol

I'll show myself out...

:lolpalm:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: September 13, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »

:dunno:  Okay, well, I guess all I can say is, okay...  I mean, even when I strongly dislike something, I can reasonably step back from it and appreciate that there are aspects that others can find suit their individual tastes.  But even allowing for personal opinions, this one is just a headscratcher for me.  I just don't find anything in it that I can latch onto and say, "Yeah, somebody with different tastes could absolutely like this."  I just don't find anything even slightly redeeming in anything about this song.  But, hey, tastes.

And that's cool, I mean, I feel the opposite, like "how could you not like this ultra catchy sing a long chorus?"  but that's music and we all have our own tastes.  There's definitely a different feeling to that song than anything else in their discography so I don't think it's crazy to think someone might not like this song compared to the rest of their music.  To each their own.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: September 13, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
bosk, it's cool, I feel that exact same way about a lot of the songs on Mystery of Time and Angel of Babylon, half due to lyrics, the other due to the sound just not fitting within my personal boundaries of what Avantasia should sound like. Mystery of Time is especially offensive in the lyrics department:

"We must finalise the giant
To level off the void and zeroise the will
The tongue of nations brought in line
Reason occupied: the God-machine oh
A splendid steaming dram will tower to the sky"

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1236 on: September 13, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »
I find it best not to delve into the lyrics too much. They're all a bit "Eurovision", but I think there's a certain wonky charm in that. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: September 13, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »
I know I'm posting a lot and this is off topic but I love your username Logain. WoT kicks ass.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1238 on: September 13, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »
I know I'm posting a lot and this is off topic but I love your username Logain. WoT kicks ass.

Cheers dude. Flattery of course will get you everywhere  :lol

There is a WoT topic somewhere if you want to jump in to that. i started it, so that normally guarantees it turns to tumbleweed within 10 posts, but, whatever..  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1239 on: September 13, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »

I'm pretty much with you Jer.  The best thing I can say about Draconian Love is that I can tolerate it, and I don't hit skip every time I listen to the album.  Ghostlights is a tale of extremes for me - 1/2 I absolutely love; the rest ranges from tolerable to skipable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1240 on: September 13, 2017, 03:54:48 PM »

I'm pretty much with you Jer.  The best thing I can say about Draconian Love is that I can tolerate it, and I don't hit skip every time I listen to the album.  Ghostlights is a tale of extremes for me - 1/2 I absolutely love; the rest ranges from tolerable to skipable.

To elaborate further...and I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but...  Remember in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 when Taserface is about to die and does his "remember the name...Taserface" monologue, and Ayesha tries to keep straight-faced, but is unable to suppress the involuntarily giggle?  (by the way, someone needs to make a .gif of that)  I have that reaction to this song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1241 on: September 13, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
What is Guardians Of The Galaxy and who is Taserface?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: September 13, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
What is Guardians Of The Galaxy and who is Taserface?

I don't know either.  Unless it's some Gloryhammer style metal band, I'm not interested.

I think Draconian Love is pretty good and IMO the whole album is wonderful from start to finish.  One of Tobi's best works IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1243 on: September 13, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »
I think Draconian Love is fine, but the chorus is overused.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: September 23, 2017, 05:26:34 AM »
Great Edguy show in Cologne yesterday. Considering that I'm not a huge fan of Edguy and that I only knew a few songs from the setlist, I liked it a lot. The crowd was singing along to almost every song (except Love Tyger). Also Tobias is apparently way more talkative when he's speaking in German. Not that I understood anything he was saying. :lol

Support band was The Unity, a new band with Henjo Richter on guitars and Michael Ehre on drums. They were pretty good too, I ended up buying a CD and getting it signed by their singer after the show.

Anyway, both the band and the crowd seemed to have a lot of fun, great atmosphere all around.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1245 on: September 23, 2017, 06:07:02 AM »
Also Tobias is apparently way more talkative when he's speaking in German. Not that I understood anything he was saying. :lol

I remember seeing a Wacken streaming and since he was talking german, he said in english "To those who don't speak german, did you find my jokes funny anyway?"  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: September 23, 2017, 07:30:52 AM »
In '09 Edguy were playing up in Chicago after the show got moved like an hour and a half away because the previous venue they were supposed to play at shut down. There were like 200 people max at the show. He was talking at some point about the 'dedicated fans' in the audience and I raised my Tinnitus Sanctus shirt. He noted it and said, "Oh you bought the shirt did you? That'll help a lot with the ticket sales"  :lol :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1247 on: September 23, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
I'm sure an Edguy show would be a lot of fun. I'd love to see either them or Avantasia, but I don't think either of them have been to Ireland yet.

I always think of Edguy as an outlet for Tobi's cheeky schoolboy humour. Avantasia is his more "serious fantasy" side.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: September 24, 2017, 04:57:57 AM »
I saw Edguy on the Hellfire Club tour in a small club where you could literally relax and sit at a table 15m away and watch the band up close.  There was like 150-200 people there, they were incredible.  Small intimate venue and not many people but still put on an arena like show, it was wonderful.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: September 24, 2017, 07:33:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w10mBlaKWVE - 3 Live Songs from Wacken (The Scarecrow, Reach for the Light, Runaway Train)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: September 24, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
Runaway Train is such a good song. Definitely one of my favorite Avantasia tunes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1251 on: September 24, 2017, 11:34:33 AM »
Love Runaway Train.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1252 on: September 24, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
I'm sure an Edguy show would be a lot of fun. I'd love to see either them or Avantasia, but I don't think either of them have been to Ireland yet.

I believe this was from Edguy's US debut at ProgPower III.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItTwZt8LUw

Love the crowd sing-a-long during the first handful of minutes.   FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1253 on: September 25, 2017, 02:44:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w10mBlaKWVE - 3 Live Songs from Wacken (The Scarecrow, Reach for the Light, Runaway Train)

Well, that was a a pleasant way to spend the first 30 mins of work on a Monday morning!

Great video. Jorn Lande is just such a consistent live performer. Nails it every time! Both Sascha and Oliver are great guitarists - love the solo trade-offs in The Scarecrow.

Love the crowd sing-a-long during the first handful of minutes.   FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: September 25, 2017, 05:32:02 AM »
Never understood the love for Runaway Train at all.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
From Facebook....
New AVANTASIA work in progress. Creative break in England! It's shaping up nicely. Have a great day everyone. -T

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Online MirrorMask

He was always hinting at that in previous posts, he became more and more revealing lately. The only doubt was wether it was Edguy or Avantasia but it has been clear for some time it was Avantasia. Excellent confirmation anyway!!!  :metal

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal :metal