Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 210150 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Me too - sounds great!

Offline MirrorMask

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds good!

Here's the whole tracklist for the compilation:

https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/tontraeger/cd/2cd-dvd/edguy-monuments-digibook.html

That's a disappointing tracklist.  Only 6 songs pre (including) Mandrake.  WTF?  Appreciate the 6 new/unreleased tracks, and the DVD will be worth the price alone.

New song is solid, but damn that tracklist is shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/avantasia/2017/z7-konzertfabrik-pratteln-switzerland-43e4d75b.html

Setlist from Avantasia's first show this summer.  Not terribly different from past setlists, just one new song with Geoff.  It appears he also sung on Avantasia, but no other songs (besides Sign of the Cross)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr’che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxXeRvln2A

Geoff Tate appears with Avantasia doing "Seduction of Decay." I have to say, he sounds pretty good. The 2:05-2:11 note sounds like real good late 90s early 2000s Tate. Not super high, but real good. He sounds good overall.

Although, at the 6:20 mark, can someone confirm that its a piped in high note? It seems weird. Tate is singing, and then a high note comes in and it sounds piped in, but then Tate obviously finishes said high note. Can't figure out if that's a little keyboard patching in vocal magic, or if Tate actually hits that note. It doesn't quite sound like him.

But honestly, I thought this was good, and builds on my thoughts from this past spring when I saw him acoustically. Looks like a good show. I would catch it if local. Tobi really puts together a solid band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr’che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxXeRvln2A

Geoff Tate appears with Avantasia doing "Seduction of Decay." I have to say, he sounds pretty good. The 2:05-2:11 note sounds like real good late 90s early 2000s Tate. Not super high, but real good. He sounds good overall.

Although, at the 6:20 mark, can someone confirm that its a piped in high note? It seems weird. Tate is singing, and then a high note comes in and it sounds piped in, but then Tate obviously finishes said high note. Can't figure out if that's a little keyboard patching in vocal magic, or if Tate actually hits that note. It doesn't quite sound like him.

But honestly, I thought this was good, and builds on my thoughts from this past spring when I saw him acoustically. Looks like a good show. I would catch it if local. Tobi really puts together a solid band.

I found that same clip last night and only watched Seduction of Decay and was surprised.  Geoff sounds pretty good, about the same as the record.  He sounds good on the chorus of Avantasia too, singing with Tobias. 

Have fun trying to catch them local - Avantasia came to the US last year for the first time ever and only played in New York and LA, I believe, with one other show in Canada.  Glenn can't even get them for Progpower since it costs too much.  If I'm not mistaken, it took the combination of 3 promotors to get them for the two US shows.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Have fun trying to catch them local - Avantasia came to the US last year for the first time ever and only played in New York and LA, I believe, with one other show in Canada.  Glenn can't even get them for Progpower since it costs too much.  If I'm not mistaken, it took the combination of 3 promotors to get them for the two US shows.

Well, honestly, I think they are too big of a band for ProgPower.  They fit the setting, but they would command a crowd much bigger than progpower IMO.  I was completely surprised by how much support they got in the NYC show.  Packed crowd and everyone singing along.  I really haven't seen much power metal shows in NYC to have that sort of turn out and support.  It was easily one of the best concerts I've ever been to.  It really sucks they aren't a full time thing though because they've become a favorite band of mine after that concert.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Toronto show was a dud.  The venue they picked didn't help.  My guess was 800 people ... tops.  Really can't see them coming back to NA anytime soon.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline MirrorMask

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Anyone picked up Monuments yet?

I got it on iTunes earlier this week. Overall, i think it's pretty good value for £10. I'm not familiar with their earlier stuff, but this compilation seems to have a good broad sweep of their albums. There's some good tracks I'd never heard before, like Holy Water / Out of Control.

I like the new songs ok. Probably Open Sesame is the weakest of them.

I've still to check out the digital booklet, but that involves hooking up the phone to iTunes, waiting on iTunes to download a massive update cos I haven't opened it in 6 months, and a bit of messing about to get the booklet itself.

Why can they not make these digital booklets automatically appear in iBooks once you've purchased the album? Come on Apple, sort it out!  :P

Offline Lowdz

Mine arrived last Friday.
The new songs are enjoyable.
Played the DVD yesterday and it's fine. Not keen on the old aspect ratio and obviously it's not in high definition, but the audio is fine.

Maybe not the choice of tracks I'd have chosen, a bit too weighted to the new album and the Superheroes ep, but it's a good package.

Offline Dream_Theater01

However, Tobias said on FB he's busy with Edguy anniversary tour now, and he's also composing new music these days, so we shouldn't hope for a DVD anytime soon.

I wonder if he's composing for Avantasia or Edguy.  Did he mention that?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
His latest update around this stuff on FB was on the 9th August:

https://www.facebook.com/avantasia/posts/10155245309973889

He seems deliberately vague on whether he's working on new Edguy, Avantasia, or possibly something different?

Offline Lowdz

Enjoyed the Avantasia live stream from Wacken last week. It's up on YouTube if you missed it.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Enjoyed the Avantasia live stream from Wacken last week. It's up on YouTube if you missed it.

Do you have a link? I started watching one last week, but looks like it was taken down.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah... having trouble finding it.  There's a few songs here/there, but can't find the whole thing.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Yeah it's been taken down. Sorry chaps 🙁

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah it's been taken down. Sorry chaps 🙁

:getoffmylawn:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1209 on: September 08, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »
Been a fan of Avantasia for many many years. What is everyone's favorite album? Back in my day there were only 2 Avantasia albums, but the times, they have changed...

1. Ghostlights
2. The Wicked Symphony (this may reclaim #1 though)
3. The Scarecrow
4. Metal Opera Pt. 2
5. Metal Opera Pt. 1
6. Angel of Babylon
7. Mystery of Time

1-2 are amazing. 3-5 are really good but the MOs haven't aged too well in my opinion. 6 has a few good songs, the rest I forgot about. 7 is, overall, the only Avantasia album I dislike.

Oh, and how could I forget, Edguy!

1. The Savage Poetry - king of the catalogue
2. Space Police - giving TSP a run for its money
3. Mandrake
4. Hellfire Club
5. Rocket Ride
6. Theater of Salvation
7. Tinnitus Sanctus
8. Age of the Joker - ugh
9. Vain Glory Opera - shoot me, but ugh
10. Kingdom of Madness - ugh
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1210 on: September 08, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »
I picked up Momunents and think the selection of tracks is absolutely terrible as I've stated before.  Haven't checked the DVD but saying all that, the five new songs are bloody fantastic.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: September 08, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »
I picked up Momunents and think the selection of tracks is absolutely terrible as I've stated before.  Haven't checked the DVD but saying all that, the five new songs are bloody fantastic.

Ahh I'm the opposite. I think the selection of tracks is pretty good overall - could be way better though - but the new tracks disappoint me greatly. Which is your favorite?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: September 08, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »

Ahh I'm the opposite. I think the selection of tracks is pretty good overall - could be way better though - but the new tracks disappoint me greatly. Which is your favorite?

It's a flip of a coin.  Open Seseme has a great hook.  Landmarks and The Mountaineer are both classic Edguy sounding to me.  I know the track list has the hits and all, but there is just so much missing.  Only one track from Mandrake blows my mind.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: September 08, 2017, 09:08:08 PM »
I think that goes to show how far removed from power metal - or Edguy's roots, by and large - Tobias Sammet is these days. He's so much more rock oriented than power metal that I'm very surprised by the lack of Mandrake representation. But that's just my opinion. Maybe he had something else in mind. :) I don't understand the inclusion of the B sides or Eternal Wayfarer (c'mon, man - if you're gonna go with newer epics, choose Behind the Gates to Midnight World! that main riff is HEAVY!). But that's Tobi...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1214 on: September 12, 2017, 09:18:12 AM »
Been a fan of Avantasia for many many years. What is everyone's favorite album?

I only have the last two.  The Mystery of Time got really rave reviews, so I bought it as a blind purchase and really enjoyed it.  I got Ghostlights when that one came out and was pretty disappointed with it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: September 12, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »

I only have the last two.  The Mystery of Time got really rave reviews, so I bought it as a blind purchase and really enjoyed it.  I got Ghostlights when that one came out and was pretty disappointed with it.

That's a shame! What didn't you like about it? For me, Mystery of Time defines the worst aspects of Avantasia and what it's become; Ghostlights is a proper return to form, mostly. The lack of Jorn Lande on MoT and including more over-the-hill vocalists was a huge disappointment for me.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1216 on: September 12, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
I'd have Ghostlights at #1, but probably TMoT at #2. I do agree about it suffering from the lack of Jorn, but I do love most of the songs on there.

At number 3 I'd have The Scarecrow. The title track is one of the best things they've ever done, but for me the rest of the album doesn't quite match up.

The Wicked Symphony and Angel Of Babylon are good, but not great IMO.. There aren't too many standouts on those two albums for me..

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: September 12, 2017, 10:38:59 AM »
I'd have Ghostlights at #1, but probably TMoT at #2. I do agree about it suffering from the lack of Jorn, but I do love most of the songs on there.

At number 3 I'd have The Scarecrow. The title track is one of the best things they've ever done, but for me the rest of the album doesn't quite match up.

The Wicked Symphony and Angel Of Babylon are good, but not great IMO.. There aren't too many standouts on those two albums for me..

I feel the same, would have the same top three and feel TWS and AoB are lacking.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1218 on: September 12, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »
The Wicked Symphony / Angel of Babylon should have been a single album. I like that the two albums exists, and to hear those 22 songs (well, maybe just Crestfallen and especially Alone I remember I don't care for), but a single album would have been killer.

Still, the initial run of TWS from the title track to Runaway train is absolutely terrific. After that put the best songs off AOB (basically the first half and Journey to Arcadia, give or take) and you have a monster album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: September 12, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
Yea, if I could mix and match those two albums, you'd end up with one really good album. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1220 on: September 12, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »
but probably TMoT at #2. I do agree about it suffering from the lack of Jorn, but I do love most of the songs on there.

It's because of the lack of Jawn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1221 on: September 12, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »

That's a shame! What didn't you like about it?

I don't know that I can say it is any specific thing.  It just doesn't grab me, and I don't find the songs to be very memorable for me, which is pretty much the opposite of TMOT.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1222 on: September 12, 2017, 02:11:04 PM »
...and not enough Kiske!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1223 on: September 12, 2017, 11:38:48 PM »
I came to know Avantasia with Scarecrow and that's still my favorite. After that The Wicked Symphony, The Mystery Of Time and Ghostlights constantly battel for second place, I like all of them almost equally. Angel Of Babylon would be fifth. I haven't heard the two Metal Opera records.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:58 AM »
I think that goes to show how far removed from power metal - or Edguy's roots, by and large - Tobias Sammet is these days. He's so much more rock oriented than power metal that I'm very surprised by the lack of Mandrake representation. But that's just my opinion. Maybe he had something else in mind. :) I don't understand the inclusion of the B sides or Eternal Wayfarer (c'mon, man - if you're gonna go with newer epics, choose Behind the Gates to Midnight World! that main riff is HEAVY!). But that's Tobi...

Eternal Wayfarer is the weakest ballad Tobi has done with Edguy, can't believe that's on here.  Putting that in over The Pharoah is just unreal.  I don't mind Holy Water but Spooks and Opera shouldn't be here.  The demo from the Savage Poetry is crap.  Oh Love Tyger shouldn't be on here.  Lavatory and Superheroes are there, fuck, that's enough.  Save Me, 929 and Rock of Cashel are just awful picks.