Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209499 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1155 on: December 23, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »
I can see the Christmas thing with it.

I don't get associating Ghostlights and awful though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1156 on: December 23, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »

Me neither. The only volumes I'm not huge on are the Angel of Babylon and Wicked Symphony. Not played them as much as the others.

Have to say I've never bothered with the stories in any of them. The first album put me off bothering with them  :biggrin:

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1157 on: December 23, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »

Me neither. The only volumes I'm not huge on are the Angel of Babylon and Wicked Symphony. Not played them as much as the others.

Have to say I've never bothered with the stories in any of them. The first album put me off bothering with them  :biggrin:

This is pretty much my view as well. For me, there's a noticeable dip after The Scarecrow with AoB / TWS, then a jump back up TMoT and Ghostlights. Not that those two were terrible, just not as memorable.

(BTW - The Scarecrow - what a song!!)

Avantasia has been the discovery of 2016 for me. I just love the bombastic high energy, combined with good melodies and the guest vocalists.

I don't pay much attention to the story, and as a native English speaker, the lyrics can be a bit "wonky" at times  :D, but somehow that's part of the charm.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: December 23, 2016, 06:57:55 PM »
For me, there's a noticeable dip after The Scarecrow with AoB / TWS, then a jump back up TMoT and Ghostlights. Not that those two were terrible, just not as memorable.

Exactly how I feel as well.  Some good songs on AoB/TWS but those albums as a whole are a notch below the three really good Avantasia albums.

Ghostlights > TMoT > The Scarecrow >>>> everything else by Avantasia

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1159 on: December 24, 2016, 04:36:37 AM »
I think the AOB/TWS combo being slightly less impressive than the rest is the general overall view, with me also.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1160 on: December 24, 2016, 07:55:42 AM »
I think the AOB/TWS combo being slightly less impressive than the rest is the general overall view, with me also.

Certainly not with me. I think The Mystery of Time is clearly the weak point in the Avantasia catalog.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: December 25, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »

Certainly not with me. I think The Mystery of Time is clearly the weak point in the Avantasia catalog.

Well there you go.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1162 on: December 25, 2016, 08:27:19 AM »
I'm a new Avantasia fan but I feel pretty confident in saying Ghostlights is the best and every thing else is almost as good and pretty much tied for 2nd.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1163 on: December 26, 2016, 04:32:22 AM »
Ghostlights IMO has aged very very well so far.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1164 on: December 26, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »
I listened to it today, I still love it  :metal far superior to The Mystery of Time, which still is good and has one of the best things ever came out of Tobias Sammet, The Great Mystery.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: December 26, 2016, 05:06:05 PM »
Tobi just knows how to write a good epic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1166 on: December 26, 2016, 05:22:31 PM »
Tobi just knows how to write a good epic.

....and get the most out of his guest vocalists. Cases in point would be JLT on TMOT and Tate on Ghostlights.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #1167 on: December 26, 2016, 07:32:43 PM »
I know! I can hardly believe it's Tate singing on that song!

I'll have to take bosk's recommendation and listen to TMOT as a Christmas album soon. Though I'm not sure if it works in Florida. :P

Listening to Ghostlights right now. This might be my AOTY for 2016. This has actually been a very strong year IMO, but Ghostlights belongs right up near the top of the heap. There isn't a song on here I don't like (though Babylon Vampyres is a cut below the rest IMO). A Restless Heart and Obsidian Skies is an awesome closer.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1168 on: December 27, 2016, 03:28:16 AM »
A Restless Heart and Obsidian Skies is an awesome closer.

While a good stand-alone song, it suffers too much from having come after The Story Ain't Over and, well, many closing songs with Bob Catley. If it was the first of its kind I would have liked it more, but it gives me a "been there, done that" feel. Still I like it, though.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: December 27, 2016, 03:38:22 AM »
A Restless Heart and Obsidian Skies is an awesome closer.

While a good stand-alone song, it suffers too much from having come after The Story Ain't Over and, well, many closing songs with Bob Catley. If it was the first of its kind I would have liked it more, but it gives me a "been there, done that" feel. Still I like it, though.

When I first heard it, I laughed at the similarities between the two.  As time goes by though, I'm finding myself liking Restless Heart more than Story.  At first I was like WTF, but now the comparisons don't matter to me at all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: December 27, 2016, 04:12:40 AM »
Definitely a lot of similarities there but it has to really bothered me.

Ghostlights is my album of the year

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1171 on: December 27, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »
I want Tobi to focus more on Edguy. I like Avantasia, bit nowhere near as much as Edguy.. Edguy are in my top.3 bands actually. I actually think they were on the verge of being much bigger but then he put all his effort into Avantasia. Some were saying the next Maiden. Idk about that though, because that requires cracking the North American market. Helloween came much closer to that in the early 90s. But still, Edguy is an awesome metal band and we need more of that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1172 on: December 27, 2016, 10:13:34 AM »
Ghostlights is my biggest disappointment of the year.  If this was the first album I ever heard from them, I would not have become a fan.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1173 on: December 27, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »
I want Tobi to focus more on Edguy. I like Avantasia, bit nowhere near as much as Edguy.. Edguy are in my top.3 bands actually. I actually think they were on the verge of being much bigger but then he put all his effort into Avantasia. Some were saying the next Maiden. Idk about that though, because that requires cracking the North American market. Helloween came much closer to that in the early 90s. But still, Edguy is an awesome metal band and we need more of that.

The Edguy / Avantasia situation reminds me a bit of the Savatage / Trans Siberian Orchestra one. One was the band that started as the dream of young and hungry musicians, and the other is the one that made all the money.

The difference is not so striking between Edguy and Avantasia of course, but I've *never* seen Edguy play the same venue in Italy that Avantasia play, and if they did, they used the minor stage (the venue is multifunctional so stages can be rearranged). I don't think Avantasia's success blocked Edguy's one, nor I feel that Tobi is saving himself for Avantasia, and I think Edguy has just the right, realistic level of exposure. If more success comes their way, I'm all for it of course!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: December 27, 2016, 01:57:13 PM »

And Avantasia had a fantastic and well attended show in NYC this year so they are trying to crack the US market.  For Edguy, they are too striaght forward power metal (from what I've heard, I don't own an album just watched youtube videos since nothing really stuck with me) and that type of music sadly only has so much appeal whereas Avantasia, although power metal as well, have a lot more to offer to reach more audiences. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
So from Tobi's FB, Geoff Tate is going to be performing with Avantasia at their few shows this summer. 

Online MirrorMask

So they'll swap at least a song for Seduction of Decay, I assume?

I wonder which other songs Tate will inherit, since the "original cast" is almost all there and only Kiske's songs are up for grabs...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
So they'll swap at least a song for Seduction of Decay, I assume?

I wonder which other songs Tate will inherit, since the "original cast" is almost all there and only Kiske's songs are up for grabs...

Well a couple of the singers aren't doing all the shows like Eric Martin so maybe he'd sing his parts for the shows he's not there.  I do wonder if they'll perform some other songs besides Seduction of Decay.  I hope so.

Online MirrorMask

Well, I could see him as a good Eric Martin replacement... regardless of how his voice is nowadays, I can picture him in my head singing What's Left of Me.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
I'd love to see these guys live, especially with Jorn singing the likes of The Scarecrow and Lucifer. Hopefully the Wacken show will be shot for TV and we'll get to see that at some stage.

I can see them maybe going safer with the setlist, and staying away from Kiske-heavy tracks like Ghostlights.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I'd love to see these guys live, especially with Jorn singing the likes of The Scarecrow and Lucifer. Hopefully the Wacken show will be shot for TV and we'll get to see that at some stage.

I can see them maybe going safer with the setlist, and staying away from Kiske-heavy tracks like Ghostlights.

Avantasia filmed the Prague show in 2016 for a future DVD release.    :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Oh sweet, thats awesome.  Also their previous Wacken concert is on youtube and very good quality.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Cool!  :tup
I've watched the recent Wacken one, but I didn't know about the Prague filming. Will have to look out for that..

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Giggity.  I was not aware of this.  Now I'm all warm down there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
However, Tobias said on FB he's busy with Edguy anniversary tour now, and he's also composing new music these days, so we shouldn't hope for a DVD anytime soon.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
However, Tobias said on FB he's busy with Edguy anniversary tour now, and he's also composing new music these days, so we shouldn't hope for a DVD anytime soon.

Party pooper!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Party pooper!

I wouldn't expect it soon either just because I'd be seeing more news about it for hype... but I got to think it comes out in 2018 when Avantasia is on hiatus even if Tobi is busy with other things.  Holding off on that release doesn't help anyone.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'll look forward to some new Edguy stuff.  The new greatest hits package should be good.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ooh, I like that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol