Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209268 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds great , even with the turd-herders  :lol

And if Ronnie's facial expressions stood out then Jorn must've had his fibre that morning  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, Jorn just looks powerful and evil with his facial expressions. Ronnie looks exactly like Chad described. You can even see it at the photos. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry - I can't equate Jorn and evil after that Hydra vid  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry - I can't equate Jorn and evil after that Hydra vid  :lol

I haven't seen that one. Care to provide a link?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I posted it recently in the hard rock/metal thread for a laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iklrkshmm5g

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Hahaha. All I've got to say here is wow. :lol

Must've missed it in the thread, because I saw the whole "covers" discussion but didn't see this vid.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chad, those Kiske pics are  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Don't you live near NYC TAC?  You should have went.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how awesome that show was.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm 25 miles south of Boston.  Leaving the wife and kids to travel for a concert does not work in the TAC house.   ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

As am I.  My friend and I kept texting yesterday saying how great it was.  I almost feel like DT this weekend will be a let down because it's not going to match the intensity and powaaa of that show  :metal (and letdown is an exaggeration here, definitely pumped for DT).

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm 25 miles south of Boston.  Leaving the wife and kids to travel for a concert does not work in the TAC house.   ;D

Sometimes you have to make "The Final Sacrifice" :neverusethis:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol found the crowd shot from the NYC show that Avantasia took and posted on FB.  I made this to share with my friends who are lame and love metal but never go to concerts.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
New "live" music video of Draconian Love

https://youtu.be/hGYfpDCBJ4A

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I only need the original image. :D

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline NotePad

I've been listening to the Ghostlights album a lot lately. Despite a few songs I think are kind of lame, like Draconian Love, there's some really great stuff. Babylon Vampires and Ghostlights are amazing songs. Some people claim Avantasia and Edguy aren't as power metal anymore. But they've just expanded their sound into something more unique.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Nick's circle is covering my head.

It's probably for the best anyway.

Offline NotePad

I'm just not a huge fan of Ghostlights. I love the title track and Babylon Vampires, but nothing else stands out too much. I'm a huge Edguy fan though and I'm glad that he'll probably focus more on them now.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I've actually found that Ghostlights didn't end up having a lot of lasting power for me. I don't feel the urge to spin it as a whole, and if I want some modern Avantasia I go either for The Scarecrow or The Mystery of Time. That said, Lucifer and Ghostlights (the song) are still excellent.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I still listen and love it.  Still album of the year for me and their best IMO.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The title track is my song of the year, but the two FW epics are giving it a serious run. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've actually found that Ghostlights didn't end up having a lot of lasting power for me. I don't feel the urge to spin it as a whole, and if I want some modern Avantasia I go either for The Scarecrow or The Mystery of Time. That said, Lucifer and Ghostlights (the song) are still excellent.

I sort of agree, but just thought the other day that I hadn't listened to it in a while.  I'm going to spin it and see how it stands up now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1142 on: September 01, 2016, 12:29:54 PM »
I've been introduced to Avantasia / Edguy only recently, but I can't stop listening to Ghostlights - great album!! Some cracking songs on there (Lucifer, Let The Storm Descend, Isle of Evermore are early favs). Tobias Sammet definitely knows how to write a catchy tune!!

It's too early for me to say which band I prefer. Will have to revisit the vote in a month or two..

What's the general consensus on how Ghostlights ranks in the Avantasia discography??

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1143 on: September 01, 2016, 12:37:50 PM »
What's the general consensus on how Ghostlights ranks in the Avantasia discography??

My personal favorite, but generally I'd say it was very well received, but maybe not the best for most.  You could probably read through the last few pages here to read reactions.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1144 on: September 01, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »

My personal favorite, but generally I'd say it was very well received, but maybe not the best for most.  You could probably read through the last few pages here to read reactions.

Yeah, I took a quick skim through, and it seems like most folks like it, but for a few their initial enthusiasm tailed off. I'll probably just work my way through the albums from newest to oldest and see what stands out for me.  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1145 on: September 01, 2016, 04:14:27 PM »
I'm not really digging Ghostlights either.  I very rarely find myself listening to it, and when I do, it is generally seeing it in my playlist and work and going, "Oh yeah, I haven't listened to that in awhile.  Maybe I'll give it a spin."  I enjoyed The Mystery of Time a lot more. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1146 on: September 01, 2016, 07:24:24 PM »
  I enjoyed The Mystery of Time a lot more. 

As do I. TMOT really opened me up to Avantasia. Of course large doses of Kiske, Biff Byford, and the long lost JLT really helped carry me through it.

I will say that the Ghostlights title track is a TAC Top 5 Track Of The Year.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: September 04, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
Both albums are great, but I'd probably come back to TMOT more I think.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1148 on: September 05, 2016, 12:44:23 AM »
I still like Ghostlights a lot but my favorite remains The Scarecrow
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1149 on: September 05, 2016, 04:47:39 AM »
I've been listening to TMOT quite a bit over the last few days. It's really excellent as well, and close to call, but I think Ghostlights just about shades it for me.

Spectres is a brilliant song to open with. I also liked the production on TMOT - it seemed a little softer, and the balance with the orchestral elements was great.  :tup

Next stop: The Wicked Symphony

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1150 on: December 23, 2016, 08:44:16 AM »
Not sure why I ever made this association in my mind, but The Mystery of Time has become somewhat of a "Christmas-time" album for me, so I have been listening to it quite a bit again lately.  I am reminded that, despite how awful Ghostlights was, TMOT is just an all-around outstanding album.  Not sure if that album was just "lightning in a bottle" for me, but I hope they can recapture that vibe at some opint in the future, because I just love it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: December 23, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »
I definitely associate The Mystery of Time with winter, and I've been spinning it a lot the last two weeks.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1152 on: December 23, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »
how awful Ghostlights was

LOL

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1153 on: December 23, 2016, 12:30:24 PM »
Way to miss the entire point of my post.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1154 on: December 23, 2016, 12:46:29 PM »
No, I got it. I disagree. I think we've had this discussion before? Or maybe I discussed it with someone else, I dunno. Anyway, I find TMoT to be largely a bland album by Avantasia standards. It pretty much does what the last three album did, except with lower-tier vocalists, less inspired songwriting, and most egregiously, no Jorn Lande. I really like Sleepwalking, and Black Orchid is good, but that's about it. The solo on The Watchmaker's Dream is good, but the rest of it where you have to listen to the guy painfully fail to hit the notes really isn't.

I'm probably coming across as overly harsh here. I definitely don't hate the album, it's a nice enough listen, but overall it feels like Tobi took the meat of Avantasia and replaced it with some tofu-based substitute, like in some weird alternate universe where Avantasia albums are cheeseburgers, TMoT was that lousy 'veggie-burger' that vegans would eat and pretend that they somehow actually liked it.

And I really loved Ghostlights. Might be my favorite. It's pretty close to The Wicked Symphony, anyway.