Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 210235 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
It's pretty impressive. If you're seeing them live soon, you're definitely in for a treat.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The setlist from the DVD show is damn massive.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/avantasia/2016/forum-karlin-prague-czech-republic-43f03b93.html

Im not checking because I've been avoiding the setlist spoilers, but for a 3 hours show, I would expect it to be a lot of songs.  Is this set any different than what they have been playing?

See... I'm the opposite.  I like to be 'prepared' for what I'm in store for.  Surprises are nice sometimes I guess, but I like to know what I'm in store for.

To each their own.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's pretty impressive. If you're seeing them live soon, you're definitely in for a treat.

One month in NYC! Can't wait.

The setlist from the DVD show is damn massive.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/avantasia/2016/forum-karlin-prague-czech-republic-43f03b93.html

Im not checking because I've been avoiding the setlist spoilers, but for a 3 hours show, I would expect it to be a lot of songs.  Is this set any different than what they have been playing?

See... I'm the opposite.  I like to be 'prepared' for what I'm in store for.  Surprises are nice sometimes I guess, but I like to know what I'm in store for.

To each their own.

I used to be like that also because I found it heard not to resist the urge, but I noticed I enjoy the concerts more not knowing. 

Offline MirrorMask

I can finally come back to this thread, which I skipped to not get the setlist spoiled (surprises forevah  :metal)... man, what a maraton!!! three hours and a half of music, and excellent performances from everyone involved. The nicest thing about Avantasia is that it's a big family, everyone is a team player and nobody tries to steal the scene.

Tobi was great, basically flawless, and all the singers were great.  Kiske is obviously unbelieavable, but everyone else was at the top of the game, like the eternal Bob Catley or Jorn Lande whose performance was absolutely stellar!

It's hard to complain about a 24 songs, 200 minutes setlist but yeah, it's a pity there wasn't even more variety since last time around. I can understand not doing Master of the Pendulum because Marco Hietala wasn't thee, but when you have Kiske, Catley and Lande and you don't play Runaway Train... gaaah, what a missed opportunity! still, an amazing and superb show, something absolutely worthwhile to watch and a monumental effort from everyone involved.

A show absolutely to not miss, not this time around nor whenever they will do it again!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRUdwSWALS0

Michael Kiske..Oh My!! :hefdaddy

I need a cold shower..and new pants!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I'm stunned that Runaway Train isn't on the set list!   >:( :sadpanda:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
First Bobless setlist:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/avantasia/2016/barba-negra-music-club-budapest-hungary-33f044ad.html

So no new songs, apparently they just pushed all Bob songs to the end and had Martin perform then.

Since I'm seeing them tomorrow, I will be able to confirm this for sure.

Personally I think Restless Heart followed by A Story Ain't Over with only one song in-between isn't such a good choice.

Edit: looks like some edited it and took out the former.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:29:16 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Restless Heart and Story Ain't Over is the same song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
The Story Aint Over seems to be performed solely by Tobi which is pretty cool.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The Story Aint Over seems to be performed solely by Tobi which is pretty cool.

Yeah. I suppose it works amazing as a set closer too.

I wish Lost in Space wasn't played as a part of encore though. I don't think it's such a good song, and it's absolutely not the best choice for the encore in my opinion. But Tobi seems to like it, so hey, whatever.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I like it  :-\
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline MirrorMask

If at all, The Story ain't Over should be the encore song, you have the catchphrase ready to introduce it... "Well, do you want more? good, 'cause the story ain't over"  ;D

I know they're killing themselves each night with 200 minutes of music, but I wish they'd use Spectres as first encore, being an opener and all. Just Lost in Space and then the final song after 3 hours seems a bit unbalanced.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
If at all, The Story ain't Over should be the encore song, you have the catchphrase ready to introduce it... "Well, do you want more? good, 'cause the story ain't over"  ;D

I know they're killing themselves each night with 200 minutes of music, but I wish they'd use Spectres as first encore, being an opener and all. Just Lost in Space and then the final song after 3 hours seems a bit unbalanced.

:lol

When I thought about the setlist, before this tour began, I thought they were going to play Spectres as the show opener and then follow up with MoaBRR.

Offline MirrorMask

Me too. They used Twisted Mind as an opener for both the Scarecrow tour, and the following one when The Wicked Symphony was out, not using the title track instead, so I figured they would have went the same route, open with the song that starts the story of the latest saga, since Tobi sings it by himself anyway. Too bad they didn't use it in the encore, I would have gladly swapped it with The Watchmaker's Dream.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, so, I posted some bits of info regarding Moscow show in my roulette thread, but I'm posting the most interesting tidbits here with my impressions overall.

I came early to the show, an hour and a half before the doors were opened, and I didn't intend to storm the first row or anything - last time I did that three years ago on the TMOT tour I somehow ended up at the edge of a moshpit (on Avantasia show, for real), so this time I decided I'll come early anyway but find a more comfortable position, get to the merch stand while they didn't sell out anything, drink a beer or two at the bar, this kind stuff. My friends who were attending this gig showed up at ~19:35 (the gig was to begin at 20:00) and they found a huge line at the entrance, they only got into the venue at ~20:25 and the show started five minutes after that. So I'm glad I arrived early and I've got a glimpse of Kiske as he sauntered past us in the bus. He looked at the window, smiled, threw the horns up and we all cheered. :biggrin:

Merch stand was fantastic this time (unlike the Steven Wilson show, where they had only one shirt with HCE album cover in front and only two shows in Russia on the back); four different T-shirts, lots of Avantasia vinyls, lots of special editions of their albums too - I saw gold edition of The Metal Opera, deluxe box with TWS / AOB, new album earbook, The Flying Opera 2CD+2DVD edition - quite a great selection overall and I would've picked something out of these if I hadn't have them all already. :biggrin: Sometimes it's painful to be a fan of a certain band. I did grab a Ghostlights T-shirt though (and proudly wore it at work today :D ), and since they also some other albums by the singers participating in the show, I grabbed Dracula - Swing of Death and City of Heroes for quite a cheap price, about $7 or so.

So the show started at ~20:30 and immediately I was amazed how great the sound was. The 2012 TMOT tour show took place at the same venue, and the sound was alright at best. This time the only thing I couldn't hear in the mix were keyboards, but I stood on the opposite side of them so I guess that was to be expected. Guitar, bass, drums and most importantly, vocals were all audible and not very loud, so I didn't even wear my earplugs.

The beginning of the show was somewhat dull regarding the overall audience - three new songs and two from TMOT and obviously not the audience favourites. I loved both Ghostlights and Unchain the Light, and I like Invoke the Machine a lot, but The Watchmakers' Dream mostly fell flat. Before The Scarecrow, Tobi said that whenever they played the very first notes off this song on this tour, the crowd went nuts, and that's exactly what happened in Moscow. :lol I never saw The Scarecrow with Jorn live (on TMOT tour they played it with Ronnie), and naturally I went nuts too. Lucifer didn't draw such a big reaction as The Scarecrow - I guess people were unfamiliar with the new album - but I lost my shit on that heavy part where Jorn starts to sing. I think people actually backed off a few steps because I headbanging and singing and all that like a madman (well I did that during The Scarecrow too :lol ). Jorn is a beast indeed, I can't believe how powerful his voice is live. That was the first time I saw him live and just wow.

I really liked how receptive the audience was (despite the lack of enthusiasm for some new songs), much better than three years ago. Everyone cheered and sang and screamed, and when Tobi went on to introduce Jorn between The Scarecrow and Lucifer the crowd were chanting "Tobi! Tobi!", Jorn fondly look at Tobias and said "hey, it seems you've got a lot of friends out there", the crowd laughed and switched to chanting "Lande! Lande!". As far as I could tell, Jorn looked a bit perplexed and happy at the same time. :biggrin:

I also really liked Herbie Langhans on the lead vocals - this should come as no surprise since I love Beyond the Bridge - but his voice really shined with power when he sang those few lines on The Wicked Symphony, and then he employed that deep voice mode on Draconian Love, which, as far as I can tell, was the audience favourite new song. The "hey hey hey" part was obviously a highlight, everyone screamed it at top of their lungs. As much as I disliked this tune at first (I didn't even learn the lyrics for the verses!), it's a perfect live song. Hopefully it stays in the setlist if they will play any more tours in the future. I think more songs could use Herbie as the lead vocalist. I think he should've sung Twisted Mind instead of Eric, for example.

I also finally got to hear Stargazers live! Last time Avantasia were in Moscow, they too came on stage late and they cut a few songs from the setlist (three or four). I don't exactly remember which songs they cut, but I distinctly remember one of them was Stargazers, because I was so looking forward to hear it and didn't get it. And now I got it, and with Jorn on board no less. Incredible experience, and the ending was just as mindblowing as on the studio version.

Tobias spent a lot of time talking and interacting with guest vocalists and audience between songs, and there were some funny moments too. Before Avantasia (the song), he took a few minutes to chat with Kiske regarding how he was glad Michael decided to sing on Metal Opera despite his reluctance to perform metal at that time, spent some time introducing the next song, saying it was so great and it was one of the first (I think the second) he heard Kiske perform for this project, hyping it up and finally introducing it... only to forget the words in the very first verse. :lol Some people from the audience, me included, started to sing, but Tobi just stood there and after a few seconds he said "Damn, I forgot the words!".  :lol Well, it happens, and I'm surprised it didn't happen on Lost in Space - he seems to mix the first and second verses on this song quite often.

There were some small lyrics screwups that were quite unnoticeable ("You break me just to make me" instead of "I've borne from my devotion" on The Great Mystery), but these went fine except I probably looked like an idiot when I mouthed the right line and Tobi sang the wrong one, haha. Regarding other vocalists, Ronnie was Ronnie, great performance without obvious flaws; Kiske, Jorn, Amanda and Herbie kicked ass; Eric Martin was very hit or miss. I'm kind of biased because I don't like Eric Martin at all, be that Mr. Big or Avantasia, but on some songs he did well, like Dying for an Angel, and on some songs he sounded off as hell, like The Great Mystery. I know the song wasn't written by him and Tobi wanted to play it anyway, but I wish they swapped it for, say, Another Angel Down (or Devil in the Belfry) with Jorn, or something from Metal Opera with Kiske, or I dunno, States of Matter with Herbie or whatever. The Great Mystery ended up being somewhat a letdown of the evening, and I actually like the studio version a lot.

I also thought that having both Dying for an Angel in the end of main set and Lost in Space in the encore was very underwhelming - probably because I want more metal in my Avantasia concert - but the audience went crazy for both songs, so I guess I know nothing. The Story Ain't Over is a brilliant set closer though, even without Bob. Tobias nailed the song and it was one of the highlights for me.

They also started to play Sign of the Cross as the last song and after the bombastic intro Tobias started singing Heaven and Hell over that bass line. He said something along the lines "that's the secret of the songwriting... you take something from here, something from there... and the rest from Black Sabbath." :lol I don't know if they did it on the rest of the tour, I haven't watched any videos from the tour, but I found that hilarious.

So overall, fantastic show and should they come to Moscow again (Tobi promised they'll return if the next tour will happen, just like he did in 2012 and he was good on his promise that time), I'll be certain to see them again. One of the best live acts I had a pleasure to see.

Offline MirrorMask

Well, your experience sounds like mine, only we italians were definitively crazier and more wild! I didn't see any difference of reaction between old and new stuff, and yes, the "Hey hey hey" part is an highlight of Draconian Love live, the whole song went down a storm.

Never thought about it but yes, Herbie should have played Khan's parts on Twisted Mind.

I didn't get the Heaven and Hell thing, I guess their stage banter is mostly improvized, which is good. Being in Italy they played a verse of a famous italian pop song, Felicità, so I guess they improvise based on where they are  :lol before Avantasia he just said "this is the title track of... well, what is this song title track for Michi?" "It's the title track of the band".  At a point he said that Kiske asked him why he gives him those high songs to sing, and Tobi replied: "Because you can"  :biggrin:

Before Lucifer he told a story I recognized from an interview, that on a tourbus at night they were all drunk and hammered and Jorn instead was singing a beatufiul folk tune, and no one stopped him partly to not piss him off, and partly becaue it was beautiful, Tobi got the idea to make him sing a piano ballad from that.

A pity you didn't enjoy The Great Mystery, with Catley it was beyond amazing!!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
A pity you didn't enjoy The Great Mystery, with Catley it was beyond amazing!!!

I know it was! I saw it in 2013 and it was amazing. :biggrin:

And yep, we also got that Lucifer story after the crowd calmed down.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice writeup Ruslan.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Cool concert reports, sounds like an awesome experience and I'm a little bit jelly.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good stuff Ruslan.  Unfortunately we will never see them out here - he seems to think he could manage an Edguy gig out here so hopefully that will happen.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
5 days until I see them.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Good stuff Ruslan.  Unfortunately we will never see them out here - he seems to think he could manage an Edguy gig out here so hopefully that will happen.

Tobi said on the Hellfire Club tour in Brisbane that they would be back on the next tour.  I'm still waiting.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
5 days until I see them.

One week till NYC!  :metal :metal

Offline NotePad

Haven't bought Ghostlights yet, but what I've heard is pretty impressive and a lot like their earlier stuff plus the more modern production. I'm looking forward more to a new Edguy album though. I think Tobi is listening more to people's demands for a style more like Theater of Salvation and Vain Glory Opera. I'd like another Hellfire Club, the perfect mix of old and new. I just wish he'd focus more on Edguy.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Holy Jesus's balls that show was amazing.  My throat, ears, and feet still hurt from last night.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Had a great listen to Ghostlights yesterday.
Just want to give a :clap: to Tobi for two things.
1. Getting what he got out of Tate. That's one of my favorite songs on the album. Great writing and direction.
2. The title track us amazing and features Kiske on top of his game,but there's little Tobi going toe to toe with his idol and completely holding his own. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Holy Jesus's balls that show was amazing.  My throat, ears, and feet still hurt from last night.

What an amazing show.  Surprised by the turn out, the crowd participation, and the performance.  The show was well over 3 hours long with no intermission.  It seemed like they didn't want to stop playing.  Amazing set list.  Really sucked to not have Bob, but was pleasantly surprised by Eric's performance in those songs.

Before the show, I was pregaming in my hotel room with my buddy and as we are walking pretty drunk to the concert I realize I left the tickets in the room  :facepalm: . So as we get back to the hotel we notice a limo chilling outside and we joke to each other that we should take the limo... on our way down my buddy says let's offer some money for a ride... 60 bucks and we ended up with a nice limo ride through times square! 

Well anyway, seats were awesome and that venue is really cool, had AMAZING sound.  Not too loud and everything was clear.  The people seemed awesome at the show, everyone I talked to was super nice and friendly.  I got into the mosh pit for a bit which was tons of fun and also surprising to even see.

My clips from the evening
https://youtu.be/hKX-ityao94

Lost in Space
https://youtu.be/3E-l1aQgTOo

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Nick and I were right up front, and I agree with the sound being right, I didn't use my ear plugs because I didn't need them.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I obviously haven't heard them in NY, but it seems they've got the sound right for all shows. I absolutely enjoyed their sound in Moscow and didn't use the earplugs too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Besides my own ears hearing it, the video clips with my phone have perfect sound too which never happens with that phone, proof they did an amazing job.  Major props to the sound guy... Iron Maiden should take note.

Still can't get over how good that concert was.  Best show and Ghostlights best album of the year for me so far.  :metal :metal

Offline NotePad

Finally got Ghostlights. Pretty standard Avantasia. I like how Tobi always gets Kiske to sing the most classic Helloween-style sounding songs. I also would've loved a song with both Tate and Kiske singing.

But I'm really disappointed that Tobi doesn't push himself to go as high as he used to.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok... so my 'review' of the experience on Wednesday, which was mostly hit, but somewhat of a miss too.  And as you read, it will surely seem like I've got a lot to dislike, but it's just that the things I disliked take some explaining.  Most of my gripes are with the venue. Being a true seated concert venue (with a seating capacity just under 1200 - no balcony), I was expecting an awesome show.  Topped off with a front row ticket, 2 seats left of dead center, I was totally jazzed for it to be best concert experience ever.

The Bad
The audience speakers were positioned a few feet behind me (not literally behind me, but 'behind' the line where the sound was directed at the people in the first row or two), so I couldn't hear all that I should have.  Because I was standing right against the stage (which was only waist-high), I was so close that I could actually hear Felix/drums, not the drums over the sound system.  And because he was just left of where I was, for the first 20-30 minutes, that was dominating everything I heard in my left ear - it took about 20-30 minutes for me to get my 'equilibrium' balanced.  Because of the position of the speakers (and no stage monitors), and dominance of the drums, I barely heard any of Sascha's solo's, and a lot of times had trouble hearing the vocals - a lot of times, I could hear their actual voices instead of hearing it through the sound system.  In one regard, that was kinda cool, but in another regard, not having the full band experience was a drag.  It was like listening to the drums/bass mixed at 10; guitars at 7; vocals/keys mixed at 4.  It was such an unbalanced sound.

Second, the two drunk turd-herders right beside me.  One dipshit thought this was his night to have a private conversation with any band member at anytime.  He was so goddamn loud the whole theater could hear him shouting out random shit, trying to talk with anyone on stage he could, asking Jorn to do a Deep Purple cover, demanding Edguy songs... total douche-waffle.  Towards the end of the night, Tobi said "shut the fuck up, I'm talking".

Lastly, no merchandise.  I can only assume that they didn't want to go through the hassle of paying/claiming whatever duty/taxes or whatever to bring it in, so there was nothing.  I had brought $200 and was fully prepared to get as much as I could.   >:(

The Good:
It was 3:20 of Avantasia!  That alone was enough to compensate for the above. Plus, if I was any closer (as you'll see below), I would've been dry-humping with them.  I'm guessing that Tobi is a bit of a germaphobe, as he used some lame excuse about the monitors giving feedback if they got too close to the front of the stage with their mic's.  Well, everyone else came out and gave hi-fives and fist-bumps at some point.

Random observations:
Jorn is an absolute fucking beast.
The whole band looked like they were having a ton of fun, despite this being the smallest crowd on this tour so far (or so Tobi said) and thus I assume the smallest crowd they've ever played for - probably about 700-800 if I had to guess.
Why does Ronnie look like he's pinching out a steaming loaf with every stanza he sings?
Amanda... god damn, Amanda.  Holy christ she is fucking hot - plus sized or not.  She had her parents there, and I could see her little baby off-stage.
Eric... holy shit was I impressed with him.  He's dorky, and looks like a wax figure, but damn if he didn't have the 2nd most powerful voice - I could routinely hear his actual voice.
Kiske... what a voice; what range.  He puts everything into it.
Tobi's mic went out partway through Mystery of a Blood Red Rose.  Lost almost a full verse

Despite the bad parts, it was an excellent show, and an awesome experience.  Got the setlist too.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:32:57 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, really cool photos Chad. Sucks to hear about the drunk guy and the mix.

Double sucks to hear about merchandise - we had the same thing on Steven Wilson's concert, I ended up ordering his 2016 Tour shirt (with the Raven album cover on it) from his official store. We had a lot of merchandise on Moscow Avantasia show as I said - various T-shirts, loads of special editions of the band's albums, even the CDs from artists solo discographies and all that. Shame you didn't have the same opportunity.

Still, sounds like you had a lot of fun so I guess that's what really matters in the end.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Random observations:
Jorn is an absolute fucking beast.
The whole band looked like they were having a ton of fun, despite this being the smallest crowd on this tour so far (or so Tobi said) and thus I assume the smallest crowd they've ever played for - probably about 700-800 if I had to guess.
Why does Ronnie look like he's pinching out a steaming loaf with every stanza he sings?
Amanda... god damn, Amanda.  Holy christ she is fucking hot - plus sized or not.  She had her parents there, and I could see her little baby off-stage.
Eric... holy shit was I impressed with him.  He's dorky, and looks like a wax figure, but damn if he didn't have the 2nd most powerful voice - I could routinely hear his actual voice.
Kiske... what a voice; what range.  He puts everything into it.

Pretty much agree with all of these observations.  Sucks your seats lead to some bad sound (and you can't always dodge the assholes at concerts, a reason why I made the point in my review of how awesome the people were).  But also, you had a good time so that's what matters. 

I hope their experiment with NA was a success and they do come back whenever that may be.