Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209518 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1050 on: February 29, 2016, 06:57:31 AM »
As an American, I think it is pretty cool.  For these typs of contests all we have is the pop music.  We never get to see a metal band take the main stage so I think it is cool to see.

As much as I love Marco, that video of Take On Me is pretty bad  :lol

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1051 on: February 29, 2016, 07:16:19 AM »
But to see that one metal band in contests like these you have to endure another 10 to 20 more or bad (sometimes atrocious) performances.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So hey, the first show is tonight. Time flies!

I didn't think of the setlist a lot, but as I said somewhere before regarding epics, I'm thinking they'll play the new one (obviously), The Scarecrow (now that Jorn's on board) and Runaway Train (since they have all singers for this, Catley, Lande and Kiske). Not sure if the length of the show will allow this, but I also hope they'll play Saviour in the Clockwork with Tobi, Jorn, Ronnie and Michael on vocals. This should be awesome.

Out of the new songs, besides the epic I'm sure they'll play Seduction of Decay (I think I recall Tobi said so in one of the interviews), Draconian Love (since Herbie is on tour with them; I also hope they'll dig something like The Toy Master for him to sing), Ghostlights (they totally should do it), Mystery of a Blood Red Rose and maybe Lucifer (I hope so). I think they should leave A Restless Heart and Obsidian Skies out, this song is kind of generic, better play The Story Ain't Over if you're at it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
Can't wait to see the setlist!  Flying all the way down to London to see them for the first time on Tuesday.  So excited to finally see Michael Kiske live :D :D :D

Was really disappointed that they didn't play When Clock Hands Freeze on the last tour so they had better roll out Ghostlights this time.  Also really hope they play The Tower again, really want to see that live.  Safe to assume the standards like The Scarecrow, Runaway Train, Another Angel Down, Promised Land, Farewell and the like will be played.  Three hour show so plenty of time to fit stuff in :)

I do wonder though, if they do Seduction of Decay who will sing it live?  Maybe Herbie or just Tobi on his own?  Would also be pretty nice to see Ronnie and Jorn singing together on a song :metal

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I wish they played When Clock Hands Freeze, great song. The Tower would be amazing too, never saw it live before.

Seduction of Decay... I'm thinking either Herbie or Eric Martin. Ronnie and Jorn could do something like Twisted Mind - last time Ronnie and Eric did it by themselves without Tobi.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Ronnie and Jorn could do a perfect rendition of Lucifer.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
Thinking about it, I can imagine Jorn and Tobi sharing Seduction of Decay.  I think Jorn would fit Geoff Tates parts pretty well.  Will be gutted if they don't do Lucifer

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Tobi's parts on that blend really well with Tate's to the point that there are parts where you have to listen closely to tell who is singing (and that is not meant to be an insult to Tobi at all).  So just in terms of them being able to replicate it well without Tate, I wouldn't think I would be a problem.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So there's this setlist, not sure how right it is but it seems legit:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/avantasia/2016/huxleys-neue-welt-berlin-germany-bf0819e.html

I'm relieved to see The Scarecrow and Lucifer in the middle of the set. Glad they also played both Ghostlights and Unchain the Light. No Runaway Train, but I was kind of ready for this - instead we get The Wicked Symphony and Stargazers again, and no Saviour in the Clockwork. And The Great Mystery again. That's unfortunate. Cool to see The Watchmakers' Dream up there though.

Also, no Seduction of Decay and they played both Restless Heart and The Story ain't Over, that's kind of meh. And Lost in Space for an encore? Almost any song from the setlist would've been better.

I'm torn about this setlist. On one hand, so many great songs, but that's a given when you talk about 3-hours-long Avantasia show, and I know I will be crazy about most of them on the show. On the other hand, well, I'm still underwhelmed somehow.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
It's certainly a very safe set imo.  Not disappointed by any means but was hoping for a bit of a change-up from the last tour instead of most of the same with a few new ones chucked in. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty good set IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This album rivals the Scarecrow, it's amazing.  Album of the year so far for me.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
Hooooly shit what an amazing show.   Tobi on amazing form,  nailed everything his voice was very strong indeed.   Jorn - What a beast he is to behold live,  videos don't do him justice,  they really don't.   Kiske - words just can't describe him.

The whole band and every vocalist was just stunning.   The whole show had an amazing atmosphere,  so much singing and enthusiasm from the crowd.   Going to be hard for me to top this live experience.

The set was great,  same as other nights but the song order just works.   Highlights being Lucifer,  Scarecrow,  Reach out for the light and twisted mind.   I've always thought twisted mind was a bit bland but holy crap it works well when your in the crowd,  absolutely brilliant with everyone singing along.

If anyone is on the fence about going to an Avantasia gig,  DO IT!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Lucky bugger!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This album rivals the Scarecrow, it's amazing.  Album of the year so far for me.

I've only given it a couple of spins. After listening to DT non stop until the Anthrax/Redemption releases, there just hasn't been much time. I'm revisiting Megadeth's Dystopia this morning and then I think I'll give the Avantasia a few days of exclusivity.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Kwyjibo

It's very early in the year but wolfking might be right. Ghostlight will at least be a serious contender for album of the year. Although I'm not sure what to make of the new DT yet.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's very early in the year but wolfking might be right. Ghostlight will at least be a serious contender for album of the year. Although I'm not sure what to make of the new DT yet.

I'd rate Ghostlights over TA.  Both are great, but Ghostlights has all the hooks to catch you whereas TA takes a lot of dedication to start to appreciate the hooks because it doesn't smack you in the face like all of those catchy chorus's.  GL is my album of the year so far, easily.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
After having a nice listen to Ghostlights I would like to say that this is a great album.  Personally, I'm in the TA camp, but that doesn't diminish Ghostlights at all.

A few thoughts..
- I kind of jokingly said that this album needs more Kiske, but 1 song and a call in a chorus is not enough. He is a MAJOR draw to this project for me, and frankly I need more on the next album.
- Not sure I could get through an entire album of Jorn or Atkins, but they are both excellent on this. Love Atkins on the Title Track.
- Oh and after Savior In The Clocktower being my track of the year, the Ghostlights Title Track is mine for this year so far. I would have to be blown away by something else to have this unseated. That chorus is too much. Amazing.
- Lucifer is an awesome tune
- I love what Tobi did with Tate and The Seduction Of Decay is excellent. If Tobi could write and produce Tate's next album, I'd be all over it. If I fell asleep in 1995 and woke today and heard this song, I'd be very happy. He doesn't have nearly the depth that he used to have, but it is a great performance, given his "limitations".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, and nothing against Dee Snider. I do LOVE his voice, but The Haunting would've been great with Alice Cooper. Personal preference, but it's basically an Alice song anyway. It's certainly a song in the Alice style. Not only is the piano betoween the verses a rip on Steven, but the vocal lines in the beginning jumped out at me as being very close to This House Is Haunted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNCqjsXrC_8

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, this album definitely needs more Kiske. I'm watching the live performance of a title track from Berlin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxmXLoKPLqs) and damn, I have no idea how he manages to pull off all those notes every night. This is incredible.

It's also funny how he forgot Jorn's lyrics on the song. It was like he began to sing and then turned to Tobi with "Wait, why am I even singing this? Where the hell is Jorn?" expression. :lol

The new album is indeed great, but at this point I think it's unlikely it will beat either The Scarecrow, TMOT or Metal Opera pt. 1 for me. Definitely better than the other three though. Middle of the pack and that equals great for a band like Avantasia. Might be album of the year too, depends on what else comes out this year.

Online Kwyjibo

Kiske is great on this as always but the two tracks he's on are my least favorite of the record so far, doesn't mean they are bad though.

And reagrding The Haunting, I immediately thought this could also be sung by Alice Cooper (or even Ozzy) and it would fit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Definitely could use more Kiske, Jorn and Aitkins if you ask me.  I'd like to hear Catley on a heavier number too for once.

IMO, you can't compare this to TA, it's like judging shit and gold.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
From FB:
WE'RE FILMING THE SOLD OUT PRAGUE SHOW TONIGHT!
And: Dates in München, Gießen & St. Goarshausen have been added to the tour! Due to public demand we have been confirmed for a few more summer dates, check the flyer below! Langen was great yesterday, sold out! THANK YOU! Prague is sold out as well tonight: 4,000 Czech AVANTASIANS… You are absolutely amazing! We're getting ready for the show. Here's a look into the men's dressing room! wink emoticon Tobi

That's awesome they are filming the show

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I'll be all over the DVD if they will release it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Giddy-freaking-up!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just watched the Flying Circus the other night and still really loved it, I'm all over this one too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just watched the Flying Circus the other night and still really loved it, I'm all over this one too.

The Flying Circus has shit video quality, that is my only problem with it and a reason I hardly watch my blu ray so I would much rather a new one that is well done, as well of course with the new songs. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The Flying Circus has shit video quality, that is my only problem with it and a reason I hardly watch my blu ray so I would much rather a new one that is well done, as well of course with the new songs.

I actually thought that when I was watching it.  I love it it and all but I did question the quality at times.  I don't really care but I never noticed it when it was released to be honest.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I actually thought that when I was watching it.  I love it it and all but I did question the quality at times.  I don't really care but I never noticed it when it was released to be honest.

I guess it's all about timing, I'm a relatively new Avantasia fan so I bought that blu-ray less than a year ago and watching that after watching other concert blu-rays such as DT's and IM's I was let down a lot in terms of quality.  Not that it takes away from the performance, but it does make it harder to watch.  If i had watched that when it was released I might have felt differently.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's probably the hype of when I got it on release.  As things age you are able to disect it more.  As you say, doesn't detract from it, but I agree it's quite noticeable.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Do you mean The Flying Opera: Around the World in 20 Days?  Just watched/listened to some of that on my flight home last night.  Still love it... essential DVD (as I stated in my Top 50).

Sure, video quality is gonna be shyte when compared to BluRay.  Just like HD vs SD is shit.  Technology improvements and such.  Still a fantastic concert.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Do you mean The Flying Opera: Around the World in 20 Days?  Just watched/listened to some of that on my flight home last night.  Still love it... essential DVD (as I stated in my Top 50).

Sure, video quality is gonna be shyte when compared to BluRay.  Just like HD vs SD is shit.  Technology improvements and such.  Still a fantastic concert.

I have it on blu-ray  :biggrin:  But yea, I think I get your point and yes, still a fantastic concert.  Certainly not trying to take anything away from that.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The setlist from the DVD show is damn massive.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/avantasia/2016/forum-karlin-prague-czech-republic-43f03b93.html

Im not checking because I've been avoiding the setlist spoilers, but for a 3 hours show, I would expect it to be a lot of songs.  Is this set any different than what they have been playing? 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I'd say it's a big compilation of everything they've played on the tour so far.  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd say it's a big compilation of everything they've played on the tour so far.  :lol

Not sure how to take this, as in maybe they are rotating setlists or its the exact same but regardless, I will let my imagination run with it.   :lol