Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209511 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1015 on: February 09, 2016, 11:31:06 AM »
Nice!  :metal

Online MirrorMask

Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1016 on: February 09, 2016, 11:44:13 AM »
Awesome!!!  :metal listening to the album right now for the record  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1017 on: February 09, 2016, 12:53:45 PM »
That is absolutely awesome Ruslan!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: February 09, 2016, 01:20:59 PM »
It is indeed!

Just finished my first listen and it might be indeed as good as The Scarecrow and The Mystery of Time if it grows on me a bit. So far I think it's better than The Wicked Symphony if only because it's got much more superior flow, but still not quite on the level of the former two.

The highlights for me are Seduction of Decay (Tobias did an amazing job writing melodies for Tate, great song overall), Ghostlights (well I was fawning over this song even before the album came out), Babylon Vampires (kickass all the way through), Lucifer (whoever said this was a piano ballad? I wish it went for at least three or four minutes more. Such potential in this song) and Unchain the Light (this song could use TAC-approved recipe with more Kiske included).

Honestly, this album seems great but it must be the first Avantasia album I'm not instantly praising the epic. I think I've got to digest this one, I didn't appreciate it much. Same goes for Master of the Pendulum.

The Haunting and the Catley track is about what I expected. One is quite good remake of Death is Just a Feeling (not Amadeus Awad album), and the second is a typical Catley sings Avantasia track. Mystery of a Blood Red Rose is in the same category I think.

The biggest disappoinment after the first listen is Draconian Love. I didn't like this track at all. I love Herbie's vocals - The Old Man and The Spirit is in my Top 10 albums of all time - but this track... it just wasn't up my alley at all. I hope it'll grow on me on the next listens, but after the first spin it's somewhere down there with, um... I don't even know what, Crestfallen and Blowing Out the Flame or something like that, those Avantasia tracks I have no desire to listen to.

So, well, this album could be as good as The Scarecrow and The Mystery of Time, and given my enormous love for those two, it's quite a high praise from me. I think it just needs a few more listens. I'm really glad I've bought this huge deluxe edition.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: February 09, 2016, 01:47:36 PM »
That boxset is awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: February 09, 2016, 02:25:56 PM »
Nice write up, I can see how one might not like Draconian love, but it's so damn catchy.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1021 on: February 10, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
DL is by far my fave track on the album, killer tune.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: February 10, 2016, 12:37:15 PM »
Apparantly from an interview, Tobi thought it could have been the single but the record company pushed MoaBRR.  I get it, but DL is so much better IMO and it's really poppy and catchy.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1023 on: February 15, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »
Only a month and a half in, but this has got to be my favorite album of the calendar year so far. Let the Storm Descend Upon You, Seduction of Decay and Draconian Love are my three favorites at the moment, but I quite enjoy all of them.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1024 on: February 20, 2016, 08:55:02 AM »
My slightly overkill double compilation for an hypothetical Avantasia show.

I always make compilations that last 90 minutes and counting, since it's the time of a round trip to work, but with so many Avantasia albums and (long) songs I felt the need to go double and make a 3 hour "show", since I organize most of my compilations as if they were setlists. Of course 3 hours is the playing time so a real show would take a lot more (pauses, introductions, extended endings etc) so you'd have to trim a song or two (or three or four), but this is my fantasy setlist that I planned loosely based on how the singers would appear - and that I listen over two days during my round trips at work:

SET 1

Spectres
Twisted Mind
Mystery of a Blood Red Rose
Prelude
Reach Out for the Light
Wastelands
In Quest For
Runaway Train
Shelter from the Rain
The Haunting
The Scarecrow
Master of the Pendulum
Promised Land
Draconian Love
Where Clock Hands Freeze
Ghostlights
The Mystery of Time

====INTERMISSION====

SET 2

The Wicked Symphony
Angel of Babylon
Babylon Vampyres
What's Left of Me
Let the Storm Descend Upon You
Your Love is Evil
Farewell
The Toy Master
Death is Just a Feeling
Lost in Space
Dying for an Angel
Avantasia

======== encore:

The Seven Angels
The Story ain't Over
Sign of the Cross
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: February 20, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »
Nice, I'm really excited to see what songs they pull out this tour since I will actually be able to see them, plus for NYC Bob Catley won't be there so it makes things different and I wonder how they will pull it off.  In an interview Tobie said he didn't think about this yet.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1026 on: February 21, 2016, 02:34:18 AM »
To me Catley and Kiske are the only irreplaceable singers, and Jorn Lande to an extent. The other songs can work well with any generic "metal singer", but I hardly see anyone else singing Bob Catley's songs. Kiske was replaced by Andrč Matos when he was still in his "I'm singing metal but I'm not performing it live" phase, but now that he has Unisonic and that he takes part in Avantasia tours, replacing him would be very difficult.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: February 21, 2016, 08:25:48 PM »
My first two listens of this album were kinda meh, but on my third listen, and this album is fucking brilliant.  Very long, but really really great.  Lucifer is one of the best things Tobi has ever done.  It could have been made into a long epic though.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: February 22, 2016, 01:10:00 AM »
My first two listens of this album were kinda meh, but on my third listen, and this album is fucking brilliant.  Very long, but really really great.  Lucifer is one of the best things Tobi has ever done.  It could have been made into a long epic though.

My thoughts are along these lines too. After the multiple listens the album grew on me big time. Lucifer is probably my favourite song now too, shame it ends so quickly.

I still can't get into Let the Storm Descend Upon You though. Must be my least favourite Avantasia epic so far. I hope it'll click with me soon, but it didn't happen yet.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: February 22, 2016, 04:25:15 AM »
I think Let the Storm is absolutely epic.  I liked that one on the first listen, but that's getting better too.  Amazing chorus.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: February 22, 2016, 04:54:52 AM »
Very pleased with this album after my third full listen.

At first I thought the Haunting and Seduction was a bit of a slow point, but really enjoy both of those songs now.  Dee sounds great.  Tate is okay, but I still think he sounds like shit really, but Tobi did well considering what he had to work with.

Sascha's guitar work this time around is much more enjoyable.  I have never really been a fan of his style, it's very wanky, but his solos are structured really well and never really ramble off for the sake of it like they have in the past.  Kulick I have decided is a monster guitarist, and Hartmann is solid with his leads too.

Needs more Ronnie and Jorn IMO, but the variety of singers is really nice.  Marco's Nightwish inspired song is a highlight, and Mason is a surprisingly great addition too.  There's some pretty typical Avantasia moments on here like Babylon and Unchain the Light, but somehow they are still quite fresh.  Draconian Love at first I thought was shit, but now I love it too.  The Story Ain't Over is a great closer too.

Incredible album.  Tobi has outdone himself, best since Scarecrow, at least.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1031 on: February 22, 2016, 05:16:14 AM »
I think Let the Storm is absolutely epic.  I liked that one on the first listen, but that's getting better too.  Amazing chorus.
It's one of my favourites, currently.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: February 22, 2016, 06:03:14 AM »
There's some pretty typical Avantasia moments on here like Babylon and Unchain the Light, but somehow they are still quite fresh. 

This is kind of how I feel.  I don't think this album is anything really different or stands out much compared to the rest of the albums.  Sounds like typical Avantasia, but the songs are just done "better" and the vocalists all seem to "fit" with the songs.  That's why I think it is their best release, not by much, just a smudge better than TMoT and The Scarecrow for me.

I think I may be the only one who likes Lucifer the way it is.  It's perfect.  I think if it were longer we wouldn't be sitting here saying how epic it is once the guitars get rolling in that song.  Jorn is such a beast on it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: February 22, 2016, 01:26:42 PM »
Yeah, it's fine and was written that way for a reason.  Kulick slays on that one too.

The bonus track is really good too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: February 22, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »
Yea, I like the bonus track, a nice little song with all of the staple Avantasia singers.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1035 on: February 22, 2016, 02:56:07 PM »

I still can't get into Let the Storm Descend Upon You though. Must be my least favourite Avantasia epic so far. I hope it'll click with me soon, but it didn't happen yet.

I fell on the opposite end of the spectrum, that song was an instant click for me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: February 22, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »

I fell on the opposite end of the spectrum, that song was an instant click for me.

Same.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: February 22, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »

Same.

Yup, same here.  I wouldn't rate it as high as some of the other Avantasia epics, but that intro instantly hit me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: February 22, 2016, 03:55:20 PM »
I love how the main riff is a reprise of The Great Mystery.  I was quite happy because that riff was one of my fav parts on TMOT, and I always wished Tobi utilised it further in that song, but now I finally got my wish.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #1039 on: February 26, 2016, 04:17:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX7EIBXVXJM

Ended up third place in the German Eurovision entry contest with the cut down version of Blood Red Rose.  Disappointed as would have been nice to see them at the contest but still my least favourite song from the album, would have been cool to see them try with a more metal song for the lolz :P

On the plus side at least i'm going to see them in London after scrapping my trip to see DT last week. :D  Ridiculously excited!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: February 26, 2016, 05:38:10 AM »
Wow, Amanda on piano.  Sounded fairly good even without the real ending.  Not even close to the best song on the album (I rank it as the worst song) so no surprise to me they didn't win (besides the genre of music this is), but still very cool to see them try and it was a solid performance.  Hopefully they got a few new fans from the exposure.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1041 on: February 26, 2016, 07:20:56 AM »
Taking part in the European Song Contest isn't exactyl tr00 for metal bands :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1042 on: February 26, 2016, 08:15:37 AM »
So far, this album isn't really clicking for me.  TMOT was an impulse buy after I saw it ranked very highly on some "album of the year" lists and heard very favorable reviews.  That one clicked instantly for me.  This one just isn't grabbing me.  Granted, The Astonishing is dominating my play list right now, along with the 3-hours of so of music I need to re-learn for a gig in early May, so I haven't listened to this one as much.  I'm not writing it off, but it just isn't hitting the way TMOT did.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: February 26, 2016, 08:22:21 AM »
It has really grown on me a lot. Besides the roulette entries, this album and new Headspace is pretty much what I'm spinning now constantly. This album is excellent. I trashed Draconian Love before, now I think it's quite good. Catchy as hell.

I just noticed that TGM riff Kade was talking about in the epic. Wow, this record just keeps getting better and better in a good way.

I still think TMOT is slightly better, but it was excellent and quite difficult to top in my book.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: February 26, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »
I still think TMOT is slightly better, but it was excellent and quite difficult to top in my book.

Topped it for me, but only by a smudge.  I think this album has the best guest vocalist/usage of any of their albums.  Everything just seems to fit and even my own negative attitude towards some of the guests when they were announced has caused me to eat crow.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1045 on: February 26, 2016, 08:56:05 AM »
I will also say that, while Seduction of Decay is a standout, it reminds me very much of A Dead Man's Words, which constantly sends me off into long rants inside my own head about so much that frustrates me to no end about that era of Queensryche.  :rant:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1046 on: February 26, 2016, 11:41:32 AM »
Seduction Of Decay is a great track but Tate's performance, while better than I feared, isn't really up to par. There are several moments where he sounds a little off key, and his phrasing is sometimes odd.

Makes me wonder how the song would sound with another singer.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: February 26, 2016, 04:31:02 PM »
I think I like this new one better than TMOT already.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1048 on: February 29, 2016, 04:13:29 AM »
Yeah, it is a really good album overall. I can see this becoming my favourite Avantasia disc (as I have stated before, most albums at least have a few songs that do nothing for me, this one is really consistent).

Taking part in the European Song Contest isn't exactyl tr00 for metal bands :biggrin:

Well, it is not unprecidented for metal artists to attempt to be there. Here is Marco, Tony Kakko and co. doing a metalized Take on Me, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRE5nICkEEo Don't know if this counts as "true metal" though  :lol But Mystery of a Blood Red Rose is basically Meat Loaf, of which some songs are absolute pop classics over here.

Also, Norway had this contribution, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCDPWsBtOaI, which absolutely is metal (starts 1:04 in). Gotta love scandinavian countries for this, given the usual material I see at Eurovision  :P None of them were at the actual contest, however.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:19:43 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1049 on: February 29, 2016, 06:54:29 AM »
I was just making fun of it. The european song contest and it's preliminaries in Germany are an event that I absolutely can't take serious because of the music, the people involved, the people who watch this regularly, the people who vote, the people who hype this etc.

This may be different in other countries but in Germany it's mostly a joke, so I'm always surprised when anyone wants to take part in it without being forced.

And Tobi's "Vote For Metal" official trailer features some of the finest metal musicians in Germany but also some of the most embarrasing and awkward metal-wannabees (Martin Kesici I'm looking at you).