Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209462 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #980 on: February 02, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »
I wasn't crazy about Ronnie on Invoke the Machine, he wasn't bad or anything, but he was the one name of the guest vocalists that I was not excited about.  I mostly didn't like his work on the other Avantasia songs he sung at Wacken (specifically Jorn parts, so maybe that is why).  However, I think he is really good on this album. 

His lines on Unchain the Lights

How could you choose
With your head in the noose
With no time to lose

are fucking awesome, he also is really good on LtSDUY so I take back my disappointment in him being on the record.

Got to say, a big reason why I love this album is all the guest vocalists are well used.  They seem to have the correct voices/styles for the parts.  Really loving Robert Mason as well on Babylon Vampyres.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #981 on: February 02, 2016, 04:02:50 PM »
Marco is from Nightwish, and Herbie is from a band called Seventh Avenue which I don't know.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #982 on: February 02, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »
Cram, you are all over this, bro. Cool!

Marco is from Nightwish, and Herbie is from a band called Seventh Avenue which I don't know.

Thanks!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: February 02, 2016, 04:04:30 PM »
BTW, who are Herbie Langhans and Marco Hietela? I'm not familiar with them.

Marco is the bassist/male vocalist from Nightwish, I love him so much.

I am not familiar at all with Herbie, but he is great on Draconian Love and since he is touring with them, I'm thinking it's likely we get that song live.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #984 on: February 02, 2016, 04:05:13 PM »
I love how Marco's song is titled Master of the Pendulum, and totally has a Nightwish vibe to it.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #985 on: February 02, 2016, 04:13:16 PM »
BTW, who are Herbie Langhans and Marco Hietela? I'm not familiar with them.

Marco is the bassist/male vocalist from Nightwish, I love him so much.

I am not familiar at all with Herbie, but he is great on Draconian Love and since he is touring with them, I'm thinking it's likely we get that song live.

Herbie on Draconian Love sounds a bit like McCoy from Fields Of The Nephilim.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: February 02, 2016, 05:19:23 PM »
Cram, you are all over this, bro. Cool!

While everyone was eating up The Astonishing, I had that on hold due to a "respectful" request by my friend to wait and listen with him the first time, so I've just been going all out with this album and since I really loved it, I haven't been able to stop listening

I love how Marco's song is titled Master of the Pendulum, and totally has a Nightwish vibe to it.  :lol

Yup,the song fits him so well.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #987 on: February 02, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
Herbie is also known for his fantastic performance on Beyond the Bridge's The Old Man and the Spirit.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #988 on: February 02, 2016, 09:10:30 PM »
I don't like Ghostlights. It's too generic. In my opinion the power metal genre is pretty much dead. Nothing original comes out anymore. If you know of a recent power metal album that is original, please tell me, I'll be happy to listen to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: February 02, 2016, 09:26:38 PM »
If you are wanting your power metal to be original then I think you'll never be happy.

Tobi produces some of the most epic, freshest power metal out there IMO also.

Saying that, I've been listening to Gloryhammer's latest and it's really quite fresh, but definitely not original.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #990 on: February 02, 2016, 09:47:45 PM »
Saying that, I've been listening to Gloryhammer's latest and it's really quite fresh, but definitely not original.

I'll check it out anyway. Thanks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #991 on: February 02, 2016, 10:17:31 PM »
How can Power Metal be generic?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #992 on: February 02, 2016, 10:26:34 PM »
I'll double down on Gloryhammer--I really like that flavor of power metal.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #993 on: February 02, 2016, 10:53:07 PM »
I go through amazon.com.  It's a lot cheaper than amazon uk.

I don't think there is a lot of difference.
I've found shipping is generally faster from the UK.
But if they don't have the stock  ;D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #994 on: February 02, 2016, 10:54:36 PM »
Can't recommend Gloryhammer enough, first album was killer, best power metal I'd heard for quite a few years.
The new one might be equally as good, just haven't played it enough..

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #995 on: February 03, 2016, 04:33:33 AM »
Ghostlights is a wonderful album. My early impression was that after track 7 the album took a dramatic dive in quality, but I've come to appreciate Lucifer, Babylon Vampyres and also Unchain the Light, even though it can be swapped with Dweller in a Dream and no one would notice the difference.

The letdowns for me are Isle of Evermore and the closing song. The first one is very bland and generic, I don't mind that it's not a traditional power metal ballad (I love the broadway-ish The Haunting and the gothic, hey-hey-heyish Draconian Love), it's just that the song itself is forgettable, I would have welcomed a strong song in that style.

Also, A Restless Heart and Obsidian Skies doesn't live up to its wonderful title. It doesn't hold a candle against The Story Ain't Over (whose chorus inspired this one), Journey to Arcadia (Another saga closing song) and The Great Mystery (The closing one of the previous album, but then again The Great Mystery is one of Tobi's greatest songs ever so it's kinda hard to top that one).

All in all a gorgeous album, better than its predecessor, and a worthy chapter in Avantasia's never failing history!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #996 on: February 03, 2016, 12:45:35 PM »
So I've listened to Ghostlights a few times now and I just want to say...

Will you heed the token..

Seriously, this album is GREAT!

Loving it immensely.

I'll say this. Tobi is an amazing songwriter. I was late to the Avantasia party, but his work on these albums is very impressive. Chad, you are so right when you made this comment:
While I'll have to take your word on the Nightwish vibe, your point is well taken. Tobi does an awesome job of putting his guest singers in an excellent position with his song choices. Even Tate, who I did say right away that Tobi would get Tate's best, sounded very good. That's a good song that sounds kind of Ryche-ish at times.

I have to believe that their is competition amongst the guests. Between what Tobi got out of Tate, and God only know how he got what he did out of old JLT, you can tell that they are proud and reaching. Heck, even Kiske seemed to have raised his game for Ghostlights (if that's even possible).

Damn, there is some great guitar work on this. Babylon Vampyres, in particular, is smoking.

Yes, Mask, Isle Of Evermore has "skip" written all over it, but all in all...

... a Great album!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: February 03, 2016, 12:49:25 PM »
Agreed about the guest singers, I really don't have a single complaint about any of the guest vocalists on this album, they all seem to fit the part.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #998 on: February 03, 2016, 01:05:05 PM »
I'm very much looking forward to spinning this (yet again) and following the lyrics.  For Doc's benefit on which characters are which vocalists:

Aaron - Tobi
Temptation - Jorn
Magician - Atkins
Scientist I - Robert Mason
Nightmare - Dee Snider
Scientist II - Tater
Mystic - Kiske
Eclipse - Herbie
Watchmaker - Marco
Muse - Sharon
Spirit - Catley

@ Tim... Nightwish fans will get my comment moreso than you (being not-so-experienced), as there are two songs on Nightwish's 2007 album (Dark Passion Play) he pulled the song title from - Master Passion Greed, and Poet and the Pendulum.  You might dig Master Passion Greed - which features Marco as the sole lead vocalist - at the time, I think that was the first song he took sole lead on.

Tobi does do a masterful job of writing melodies (lyrical and musical) that suit the vocalist.

Isle of Evermore has it's place - even if I'm not a big fan at all of Sharon's voice/style.  It's not bad, but it just doesn't have any ... oomph.  I would've gladly taken Tobi's previous ladies - Amanda or Cloudy - over Sharon.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #999 on: February 03, 2016, 01:54:56 PM »
I love Sharon's voice, but found Isle of Evermore to be rather underwhelming, especially since I think Tobi generally writes excellent ballads.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1000 on: February 03, 2016, 02:04:31 PM »
@ Tim... Nightwish fans will get my comment moreso than you (being not-so-experienced), as there are two songs on Nightwish's 2007 album (Dark Passion Play) he pulled the song title from - Master Passion Greed, and Poet and the Pendulum.   

Ahh I get it! That's cool.

Maybe on the next one, Kiske gets a track called Keeper Of The Pink Chameleon! ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1001 on: February 03, 2016, 03:28:33 PM »
I love Sharon's voice, but found Isle of Evermore to be rather underwhelming, especially since I think Tobi generally writes excellent ballads.

Indeed, but lately he's been lacking a bit in that. Sleepwalking and Isle of Evermore are among the weakest songs off the last Avantasia chapter(s), and also Alone in Myself on Edguy's Space Police wasn't that great.

Anyway, he makes up for it with excellent epic songs and power metal anthems so I'll give him a pass on that  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1002 on: February 04, 2016, 04:26:34 AM »
Not particularly an Avantasia fan, but I figured I'd check the new album out anyway.

Only on the first song so far, which is pure Meat Loaf. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: February 04, 2016, 04:32:08 AM »

Indeed, but lately he's been lacking a bit in that. Sleepwalking and Isle of Evermore are among the weakest songs off the last Avantasia chapter(s), and also Alone in Myself on Edguy's Space Police wasn't that great.

Anyway, he makes up for it with excellent epic songs and power metal anthems so I'll give him a pass on that  :D

Alone in Myself was the first ballad from Tobi that I was disappointed with.  Everything he did before that was magic, although I agree Sleepwalking wasn't his best either.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: February 04, 2016, 10:15:28 AM »
I'm still waiting for my copy and damn, I ventured in this thread by mistake, so anyway.

I'm not a big fan of Edguy so I don't know on that front, but I'll say Tobi hasn't written a great Avantasia ballad since In Quest For. The only one I liked from The Scarecrow onwards was What Kind of Love (and, well, if you count Runaway Train and The Great Mystery - which I don't - these two are great too).
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1005 on: February 04, 2016, 10:18:52 AM »
I like the ballads on TMOT.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: February 04, 2016, 10:21:26 AM »
Oh right, I forgot about What's Left of Me. This one is pretty excellent. I stand corrected.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: February 04, 2016, 10:55:34 AM »

As do I.  I have no problems with the Avantasia ballads include Isle of Evermore. It's not great, but it's not bad IMO.

And Lucifer is amazing if you ask me, but that is more of a power ballad.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: February 04, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »

As do I.  I have no problems with the Avantasia ballads include Isle of Evermore. It's not great, but it's not bad IMO.

And Lucifer is amazing if you ask me, but that is more of a power ballad.

I dunno, Sleepwalking, Carry me Over, Cry Just a Little, The Edge and Blowing out the Flame are very mediocre for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: February 04, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »
Carry Me Over is an awesome song if you ask me, I really enjoy Sleepwalking and The Edge... the other two aren't my favorites.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1010 on: February 04, 2016, 11:54:04 AM »
Love Carry Me Over as well! and I totally forgot about What's Left of Me, that's great as well. So is The Edge. Blowing Out the Flame is a bit less good but still enjoyable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: February 04, 2016, 12:41:12 PM »
I really like The Edge.

Still amazes me that The Story Aint Over was a b-side.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1012 on: February 04, 2016, 12:54:48 PM »
i'm surprised that there isn't more love for Isle of Evermore around here.

I thought it was quite good, and Sharon is a one hell of singer!

Also i haven't been able to get the chorus of Draconian Love, out of my head. It's really good!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: February 04, 2016, 01:48:28 PM »
I really like The Edge.

Still amazes me that The Story Aint Over was a b-side.

True, I can't believe that either, great song!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: February 09, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »
Alright, finally got this bad boy in the mail...

What's in the box: an 3CD-earbook with the lyrics and loads of photos, a signed card with Mr. Sammet's photo, a Nuclear Blast news and mailorder maganize - too bad the news are in German - oh well; a laminate pass with exquisite Avantasia ribbon which will be a welcome addition for my work permit, the bonus 10" vinyl with Mystery of a Blood Red Rose on side A and Draconian Love on side B (the vinyl came outside the boxset with a note from NB apologizing for that and explaining it was due to some pressing delays), two posters - one on more thick paper and of higher quality (on the right) was inside the box, another one (on the left) was included outside the box with the vinyl; and a certificate saying I'm the 940th owner out of 1000. :lol

I've got a few threads to get up on DTF, but after that I'm all prepared for listening to this for the first time.

(I couldn't find a Ghostlights beer, unfortunately.)