Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209206 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Damn, looks like this has been pushed back a week here in Australia. I was actually looking forward to getting this today more than DT.  :lol

Dude... seriously.... how many times do I gotta tell you?  Spotify is your friend.  Do you want me to listen to the fuckin album for you too!?!?!   :D

As we all hoped, Tobi got the absolute most out of Tate.  His track sounds good - Tobi was wise to keep him low in the register.  Very well written melodies for Tater, and I'm wouldn't be surprised if there was some production "assistance".  Great album on the first listen.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Draconian Love, wow. Probably my favorite song so far. :metal

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Still haven't heard the whole thing but so far Draconian Love stood out and Tate was listenable.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online MirrorMask

Just heard it.

Wow, what an album. Absolutely amazing work, probably better than The Mistery of Time. Let the Storm Descend Upon You is gorgeous, some reviews called it bloated and glued together, I feel it's very cohesive and time flows by. The Haunting could have been - and probably is - another attempt at writing Death is Just a Feeling, but it's AWESOME! Can't take the chorus off my head! Seduction of Decay is good, Ghostlights is unbelieavable, Draconian Love is another one that I've seen criticized in reviews but it's very convincing and not a cheap attempt at goth metal at all, and Master of the Pendulum has probably the best chorus of the entire album.

A bit of a letdown are Isle of Evermore, nothing special, and the closing song, it's good but it feels like the same old closing Catley song, The Great Mistery was on a whole other level as far as Catley songs go, but all in all this album is wonderful! can't wait to hear it again and again, I guess that for a while I will listen only to this and The Astonishing  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm holding off on the Astonishing until tomorrow to listen with my friend, so I listened to Ghostlights this morning while reading the lyrics for the first time and really enjoyed it much more. I've already listened a bunch now.

My early song rankings:

Unchain the Light
Let the Storm Descend Upon You
Draconian Love
Babylon Vampyres
A Restless Heart and Obsidian Skies
Lucifer
Master of the Pendulum
The Haunting
Isle of Evermore
Seduction of Decay
Ghostlights
Mystery of a Blood Red Rose

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
First listen now, sounds good :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Polarbear

I used to listen a lot of Avantasia around the time The Scarecrow came out. I need to catch up with their later albums!

Anyway, Ghostlights sounds good! Draconian Love might be my favorite Avantasia song, and Geoff Tate did a surprisingly good job in the Seduction of Decay.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Full judgment is a long way off, but one listen in this is already clearly more memorable than The Mystery of Time.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online MirrorMask

Full judgment is a long way off, but one listen in this is already clearly more memorable than The Mystery of Time.

I think so as well, even though The Mystery of Time has at least two absolute masterpieces (Spectres and The Great Mystery).

Anyway, while I resisted and didn't hear a single note of The Astonishing, I heard the two previewed songs and the teaser, and now - at least for the first time - I feel weird while the parts of the songs I already knew come up, they feel disjointed from the rest of the song... especially the chorus to Master of the Pendulum which is way happier than the rest of the song. This shows that if you're a fan of the band and you reasonably assume you'll enjoy the record, a full unspoiled listening experience is always best!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I think so as well, even though The Mystery of Time has at least two absolute masterpieces (Spectres and The Great Mystery).

Anyway, while I resisted and didn't hear a single note of The Astonishing, I heard the two previewed songs and the teaser, and now - at least for the first time - I feel weird while the parts of the songs I already knew come up, they feel disjointed from the rest of the song... especially the chorus to Master of the Pendulum which is way happier than the rest of the song. This shows that if you're a fan of the band and you reasonably assume you'll enjoy the record, a full unspoiled listening experience is always best!

The two singles are my least favorite tracks on the album

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #955 on: February 01, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »
that really isn't Geoff Tate singing, is it?

how can he manage to suck on his own material and yet sound amazing on this?
that really isn't Geoff Tate singing, is it?

how can he manage to suck on his own material and yet sound amazing on this?

I'm guessing a big part of it is the fact that he is working on somebody else's project rather than his own, which means that for once, he is not recording in an environment where nobody present will tell him his parts aren't cutting it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #956 on: February 01, 2016, 07:19:28 AM »
Also, I wouldn't describe Tate's performance as anything approaching "amazing," except maybe in comparison to his own material. He's passable, but nothing particularly noteworthy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: February 01, 2016, 03:23:04 PM »
Fuck, the release date on JB's site (Australia) is now the 12th.  Screw it I'm ordering from Amazon I think.

EDIT: Amazon don't have just the 2cd edition ffs.

Has anyone got the live cd, is it worth it?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:30:21 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #958 on: February 01, 2016, 03:32:26 PM »
As we all hoped, Tobi got the absolute most out of Tate.  His track sounds good -  .

I knew he would!

Just now have given Ghostlights a listen, mostly as background music. Sounds good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: February 01, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »
Fuck, the release date on JB's site (Australia) is now the 12th.  Screw it I'm ordering from Amazon I think.

um... yeah, I think so.  Spotify it and decide for yourself.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: February 01, 2016, 04:32:39 PM »
or purchase the 1CD version and download the live tracks (I think I will do this, was hoping the digital download of the live album would be available)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018RZO154?ie=UTF8&keywords=avantasia&qid=1454369504&ref_=sr_1_2&s=dmusic&sr=1-2-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #961 on: February 01, 2016, 05:03:14 PM »
Ghostlights is awesome.  I'm going to do my damnedest to get to the NYC show now.

My only complaint is that nowhere in the book does it say which singer sung which parts.  I know when Jorn Lande is singing, but some of the others I'm not familiar with enough.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:08:17 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:40 PM »
Ghostlights is awesome.  I'm going to do my damnedest to get to the NYC show now.

My only complaint is that nowhere in the book does it say which singer sung which parts.  I know when Jorn Lande is singing, but some of the others I'm not familiar with enough.

Nice, hope you make it to NYC, I am so pumped for that show!

I noticed they list the singers on this lyric site and it seems like it's correct

https://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/avantasia/ghostlights.html#1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #963 on: February 01, 2016, 05:13:34 PM »
If it wasn't mentioned earlier, I will indeed be at the New York show as well.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #964 on: February 01, 2016, 06:39:02 PM »
It's official.  I will come.  I will see.  I will kick ass.  NYC bitches!

I know who is singing on each track, but I hate piecing together who is which character.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: February 01, 2016, 08:46:31 PM »
or purchase the 1CD version and download the live tracks (I think I will do this, was hoping the digital download of the live album would be available)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018RZO154?ie=UTF8&keywords=avantasia&qid=1454369504&ref_=sr_1_2&s=dmusic&sr=1-2-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0

Most probably will do this.

um... yeah, I think so.  Spotify it and decide for yourself.

I actually did this this morning with 2 tracks.  The live tracks sound fine but I don't really need it on cd.  I forgot there was a bonus studio track though on the 2cd edition.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: February 01, 2016, 08:53:21 PM »
I really enjoy the bonus track.  It's nothing special, but has kiske and jorn on it and if its got those guys its generally going to be kick ass.

Seems like it should have been the second to last track on the album though given the context of the song and story of ghostlights.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: February 01, 2016, 09:21:44 PM »
I really enjoy the bonus track.  It's nothing special, but has kiske and jorn on it and if its got those guys its generally going to be kick ass.

Seems like it should have been the second to last track on the album though given the context of the song and story of ghostlights.

Damn, I might just hold out for the 2cd version.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: February 02, 2016, 05:04:45 AM »
@ Doc... www.metal-archives.com lists which guest vocalist is on which track.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #969 on: February 02, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »

Indeed they do:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01855N1NO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d1_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=01TBK0GQ02DDSVH9BJXF&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577048407&pf_rd_i=desktop

Why the delay?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: February 02, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »
I go through amazon.com.  It's a lot cheaper than amazon uk.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: February 02, 2016, 02:06:10 PM »
Lucifer is one of the best new power ballads I have heard in a long time.  Fuckin Jorn is so damn amazing and powerful on that.  I can't say it enough about how happy I am to have Jorn on this album and to get the chance to see him live.  He is easily my favorite of the guest singers and his songs are always some of my favorites from the albums.  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: February 02, 2016, 02:18:28 PM »
Jorn is indeed a beast.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #973 on: February 02, 2016, 02:37:54 PM »
I've listened to this once, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to pass TMOT. I plan on digging deep on it tomorrow.

First impressions.
1. Not enough Kiske
2. Too much Tobi
3. Felix is a good drummer for sure, but Russel Gilbrook's drumming on TMOT was beastly. and sounded so much stronger (not Felix's problem).
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: February 02, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
I've listened to this once, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to pass TMOT. I plan on digging deep on it tomorrow.

First impressions.
1. Not enough Kiske
2. Too much Tobi
3. Felix is a good drummer for sure, but Russel Gilbrook's drumming on TMOT was beastly. and sounded so much stronger (not Felix's problem).

too much tobi?  I'm not sure I noticed any more or less of him.  He only has one song that is just him, MoaBRR.

I think Ghostlights may go down as my favorite Avantasia album, but the difference between it and TMOT is not much. (in terms of my opinion on the albums)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:53:57 PM by cramx3 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: February 02, 2016, 02:48:21 PM »

First impressions.
1. Not enough Kiske
2. Too much Tobi

It is his project Tim.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #976 on: February 02, 2016, 02:59:53 PM »
 :lol

Yeah I know that.

In general, I am not a huge fan of his voice. I actually thought he was very much improved on TMOT and thought he sounded real good. Again, it's only my first casual listen, but I feel like he regressed.

But I'll dig in tomorrow, so it can all change.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: February 02, 2016, 03:55:15 PM »
Everything is 'not enough Kiske' for Tim.

Tobi is no more or less (quality or quantity) here than any other Avantasia album, imo.

Not enough Ronnie is what there isn't enough of!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: February 02, 2016, 03:56:20 PM »
I love Ronnie, he has become one of my fav vocalists over the last couple of years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #979 on: February 02, 2016, 04:00:19 PM »
I love Ronnie, he has become one of my fav vocalists over the last couple of years.

I actually like him in small doses here. Not sure I could get through an entire PM album.

Everything is 'not enough Kiske' for Tim.

:lol

And yes, there's that.

BTW, who are Herbie Langhans and Marco Hietela? I'm not familiar with them.