Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209503 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I like how we all frequenters can agree on something.

It's rare  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Scarecrow and Wicked Symphony are both amazing. Angel of Babylon is slightly less amazing.

The Mystery of Time is ok, with a few really good songs.

The Metal Opera exists.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Savior In The Clockwork was my Track Of The Year for 2014.

Great tune!

Love towards the end where Biff and Kiske go back and forth. Gives me chills.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Scarecrow and Wicked Symphony are both amazing. Angel of Babylon is slightly less amazing.

The Metal Opera exists.

Slide Wicked Symphony over to the "slightly less amazing" tier and I basically agree with this.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wicked has been picking up for me.  I initially was only a fan of about half the album, but the rest has been growing on me as I've been listening to the catalogue a lot lately in prep for Ghostlights.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The Metal Opera exists.

Agree with the first line, but not at all with the second two.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Got an e-mail from Nuclear Blast informing me that my order has been shipped.

I'll avoid this thread until my copy arrives. I think I'll stay away further spoilers, I want to experience this album reading this huge earbook with a nice pint of beer and definitely a huge satisfied smile on my face. See you there in a few weeks. :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

The Metal Opera exists.

Right with ya Kade

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
The Metal Opera Pt. II has 'The Seven Angels'

Ergo, the argument is invalid.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The Metal Opera exists.

Right with ya Kade

I'll admit that TMOT too quite a lot of listens for it to grow on me.  At first I was underwhelmed but now I think it's amazing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online MirrorMask

Bought the new album along with The Astonishing! There was only the 2 CD version, not that I don't mind... tomorrow I will listen to both! can't wait! curious also to see the video... I guess I'll watch it exactly once not really caring for videos anymore, hehe!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
So now that it is out, I will express my views...

I LOVE THIS ALBUM.  Another A+ in my book.

hey hey hey

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Listening right now.  Jorn is nailing it - as usual.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm so glad that Jorn is back, he really is a beast.  The parts where he comes in are just so powerful.

Offline ErHaO

Great first impression after two full spins and some song repeats (+many spins of the two released songs).

It is early offcourse, but I think this may become my favourite Avantasia album. I really like Avantasia as a whole, but most albums have several tracks that do nothing for me. It is one of those artists I frequently listen to, but only to a personal selection of songs, rather than full albums. This one, however, definitely grabbed me as a whole, it will be interesting to see if it is a stayer, but the "first love" factor is there!

Also, for those who didn't grab the edition with the live disc, the live disc is included on Spotify/Deezer! I will check that out soon too.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
It's really a shame this album came out today, because I'm all in Astonishing mode right now and can't get around listening this one until after a couple of days.  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I watched the music video, am I the only one who finds it odd that all of their videos show the band as a three piece plus maybe a guest singer?  The music just never seemed to be what I am watching (keyboards, multiple guitars, backing vocals that are just visually missing).  I understand they have a hard enough time getting everyone together so I'm sure that is the reason, but I just find it odd to see.

Anyway, Draconian Love is amazing.  A very different sounding song for them, but so fucking awesome.   :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
It's really a shame this album came out today, because I'm all in Astonishing mode right now and can't get around listening this one until after a couple of days.  :lol
Exactly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Exactly.

I'm only finishing disc 1 now, but nothing has made me go, OMG, MUST LISTEN TO THIS OVER AND OVER. So Avantasia will be on later tonight.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
MYSTERY OF A BLOOD RED ROSE

Oh man, this is so catchy already, and I love this track a lot more than on my first listen already (back when the album wasn't out yet) - this bodes well. :metal

Could have done without the mandatory modulation for the last chorus though.

Offline ErHaO

Yeah, I've been in DT mode for most of the day, but during travelling and sports (running/cycling) this album was an excellent listen. Lot's of catchy hooks and the whole thing paces really well.

The most surprising vocal performance for me is by Herbie Langhans on Draconian Love. Every now and then I listen to Sinbreed and Seventh Avenue, so I was expecting him to unleash his gritty powermetal vocals here, but this is really awesome and insanely catchy. It gives me bit of a "guilty pleasure pop song" vibe in a good way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The most surprising vocal performance for me is by Herbie Langhans on Draconian Love. Every now and then I listen to Sinbreed and Seventh Avenue, so I was expecting him to unleash his gritty powermetal vocals here, but this is really awesome and insanely catchy. It gives me bit of a "guilty pleasure pop song" vibe in a good way.

Yes! So true. This was the song that really stood out on my first listen.

Offline Lowdz

First listen now. Loving it so far. Draconian Love is different but I like it. Toby been listening to some Nightingale?

Offline T-ski

that really isn't Geoff Tate singing, is it?

how can he manage to suck on his own material and yet sound amazing on this?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, looks like this has been pushed back a week here in Australia. I was actually looking forward to getting this today more than DT.  :lol

First listen now. Loving it so far. Draconian Love is different but I like it. Toby been listening to some Nightingale?

This excites me.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Because he doesn't understand/accept the limits of his voice? So when he ends up being his own creative director, it goes to shit.

Also rubbish songwriting.

Halfway through, highlights so far include Let the Stomr Descend On You, Ghostlights and Draconian Love. The vocals of DL are absolutely great, especially in the chorus.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah that's true, and cause he's ego is bigger than the sun, he still thinks he can do whatever the fuck he wants and thinks it's amazing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Listening now.

Offline gazinwales

Damn, looks like this has been pushed back a week here in Australia. I was actually looking forward to getting this today more than DT.  :lol

This excites me.

Yes it has, Utopia didn't even get their import versions in.
Pretty shit for us Aussies fans, even though I already have some promo files.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I see Utopia have the new Primal Fear at $37!  :eek

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Finished my first listen, and I liked it. I'll have to listen to it a few more times, but it was definitely a good album, and I could see it ending up on the "slightly below The Scarecrow"-tier for me.

Offline gazinwales

Yeah must be import and not local release.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Let the Storm Descend Upon You was amazing, and it is so awesome to have Jorn back. On The Haunting now, which is fantastic, and I think I might even like it better than Let the Storm etc. :lol

edit: On the Tate track now, let's see how this goes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Unchain the Light is my favorite