Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209538 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think it's one of the best, if not the best Kiske-fronted power metal track from post Metal Opera material. As much as I liked The Mystery of Time, both Where Clock Hands Freeze and Dweller in a Dream were good, but nothing more. And Wastelands I don't like at all.

This song just clicked with me instantly. Huge improvement over MotBRR in my opinion.

Agreed with all of the above. 

Online MirrorMask

I wanted to wait but I couldnt resist and I heard it, it's awesome! for whatever reason I always imagined throughout the choruses that more vocals could be added at the end to round it up, I was actually fully expecting at the end something more, even just repeating twice "Blinding my eyes, get me out of this place". Aside from this, the song is golden!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it's good, but I obviously don't hear what you guys are hearing yet.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Finally pre-ordered this and DT, should have them both on release day  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I think I'm gonna buy this one. That song is good straightfoward power.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I know this info is out there for me to find, but just trying to get the quick answer:  Is there a special edition of this, or only standard?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know this info is out there for me to find, but just trying to get the quick answer:  Is there a special edition of this, or only standard?

There is another edition with a live CD and instrumental CD.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Sweet.  If they have it, I will likely pick that version up.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

There is a 2CD digibook, a 3CD earbook, some vinyls I guess and a deluxe edition boxset. I've ordered it and it contains 3CD Earbook, poster, signed photo, lanyard laminate pass and a certificate I think. I don't remember what exactly was in there because apparently it's no longer available at Nuclear Blast so I'll just have to wait until it arrives.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just went with the standard CD, I'd like the live album but didn't see the option on amazon.  I don't think it is that important since I have their live blu-ray anyway and the wacken concert is on youtube in good quality.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I hope I can get the 2cd.  I'd love the live concert to be honest.  The 3cd is so damn overpriced.

Offline gazinwales

Not just the pointless 'Karaoke' CD you also get a 48 page book.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/browse/metal/ghostlights-deluxe-earbook-edition/929289/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not just the pointless 'Karaoke' CD you also get a 48 page book.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/browse/metal/ghostlights-deluxe-earbook-edition/929289/

Not worth the extra dosh in my book.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just noticed the earbook version on amazon is $60, yikes.  Totally not worth that price for the live CD and kareoke CD.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm not going with a super expensive package.  But when I head to the local music shop on Friday, I will see what they have and decide accordingly.  Not a "mega-fan" of this band, but I discovered them when TMOT came out and I heard some positive reviews and made a blind purchase, and I really enjoyed that album.  I haven't gone back and explored the back catalog yet, but probably will at some point if this album is as good as the last one.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm not going with a super expensive package.  But when I head to the local music shop on Friday, I will see what they have and decide accordingly.  Not a "mega-fan" of this band, but I discovered them when TMOT came out and I heard some positive reviews and made a blind purchase, and I really enjoyed that album.  I haven't gone back and explored the back catalog yet, but probably will at some point if this album is as good as the last one.

Good lord man, get on the back catalogue.  While some of us differ on which era is better (Metal Opera vs Scarecrow Trilogy), no one disputes that it is all A+ material.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I plan to.  But I'm not in a hurry either.  There is no shortage of good music in my life, and only so much time to listen to it.  Patience, my friend.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I ordered the deluxe edition box especially because it had a huge book. I love stuff like this. Don't really care about karaoke CD.

Oh, and a poster, it will come handy at my working place, I still have some space on my wall there.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Good lord man, get on the back catalogue.  While some of us differ on which era is better (Metal Opera vs Scarecrow Trilogy), no one disputes that it is all A+ material.

Agreed.  This is good stuff here, TMOT is a great album IMO.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

Disputed. I mean, it's all really good, but I don't think I'd give any one album an A+.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'd give TMOT an A+.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
The thing with Avantasia is that, although they have made some amazing music, it all feels too safe. They all share this big power metal spirit that, although I don't have big issues with that fact (I love some cheesy power metal in my life) I don't feel any of those albums are adventurous enough to earn an A+. Sure, there's great music throughout, but it wouldn't hurt Tobi to expand his musical horizons in next Avantasia releases.

I'm kinda on Nick's boat with this one.

:dammitnick:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd give TMOT an A+.

Me too, as well as The Scarecrow.  Those are two masterpiece albums if you ask me.  The rest of their albums have amazing tracks, but also stuff that doesn't interest me.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd give TMOT, The Scarecrow and The Metal Opera pt. 1 an A+.

Hence why I'm going all-out for this one.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks to Nick and Lalo for dropping in on the discussion just to shit on my comment  :biggrin:.  Let me clarify...

No one that regularly posts in this thread disputes it's A+ material
OR
No one disputes it's all at least A- material.

Perhaps I was too generous on my grade, or overzealous at who pays attention to this thread.   :P :-*
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
It's okay, Chad.  Your point is taken, and your poetic license acknowledged.  Bottom line: "the back catalog is really good."  Got it.  :tup

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Thanks to Nick and Lalo for dropping in on the discussion just to shit on my comment  :biggrin:.  Let me clarify...

OR

Perhaps I was too generous on my grade, or overzealous at who pays attention to this thread.   :P :-*

Ai Ai, Chad! You know I love you.  :millahhhh  :-*

MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

OR

Ai Ai, Chad! You know I love you.  :millahhhh  :-*

For sure, and the feeling is mutual.  BTW... I'm gonna use some Inner songs for a few upcoming roulette's.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
That's amazing. Keep me informed!  :D
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
:lol I follow many threads, even if I don't often post in them.

Personally, I find Avantasia consistently really good, and nothing bad, they just haven't made that masterpiece yet, imo.

Scarecrow, Wicked, and Babylon, all As.

First two albums, A-

TMoT, B or B+.

But yes, the underlying point of the catalog being worth exploring is absolutely true. :D

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'll just drop one tidbit before moving on:  Listening to Savior in the Clockwork.  Man, that riff at about 6:00, and then the quiet part after the solo. and then the slow build that brings back a variation on said awesome riff...  :squee:  That has to be my ultimate favorite moment on this album.  And Savior and Black Orchid are definitely my two favorite songs.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Savior in the Clockwork is one of my favorite Avantasia songs.

Experiencing it live was an absolute highlight for me.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
And Savior and Black Orchid are definitely my two favorite songs.

Same here. Biff Byford rocks on this album.

Anyway, Nick, Angel of Babylon is like C or something. :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Savior is probably my favorite song by them, just above The Scarecrow.  It's a large reason why I find both those albums to be amazing, they both have that awesome epic track.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Savior is probably my favorite song by them, just above The Scarecrow.  It's a large reason why I find both those albums to be amazing, they both have that awesome epic track.

Once again, true. My two favourite Avantasia songs. :tup

I like how we all frequenters can agree on something.