Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209205 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #805 on: December 25, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »
New sampler from Ghostlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZqqlJ7lkJM&feature=youtu.be

I'm pleasantly surprised that Tate doesn't sound terrible.  Kiske is fantastic, as usual.  Everything else sounds good enough to pick this up on release day.

I said Tobi would get the best Tate had. I'm not surprised. And that Kiske clip just gave me goosebumps. I literally have chills.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #806 on: December 25, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »
Let the Storm... has a wonderful chorus, Master of the Pendulum's one is even better! The two Kiske songs are obviously great, I love in the title track (it must be the title track, the first Kiske clip Unchain the Light is mentioned) the faster part of the chorus with Tobi singing... Tate's song sound also good.

Boy we're in for a major treat!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: December 25, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
Sounds really fresh and inspired, this could possibly be classic, sounds wonderful.

Tate doesn't sound great, but he sounds passable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #808 on: December 25, 2015, 07:44:39 PM »
I'm looking forward to this far more than I am the new DT album. They both release on the same day and if a situation should Arhys where I have both of them on hand to listen to, I'm putting on Ghostlights first.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: December 25, 2015, 08:08:08 PM »
I'm looking forward to this far more than I am the new DT album. They both release on the same day and if a situation should Arhys where I have both of them on hand to listen to, I'm putting on Ghostlights first.

I'm looking forward to this and Primal Fear more than DT.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: December 25, 2015, 08:38:24 PM »
I haven't even preordered new DT yet. New Avantasia excites me so much more it's not even a contest.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #811 on: December 26, 2015, 09:41:16 AM »

I don't have any particular preference but damn it will be a drag to work all day, have only the evening free, and decide wether to listen to a 130 minutes album or a 70 minutes one. And I will see both bands live 3 days apart, in March!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #812 on: December 29, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »
Wow, is the new Avantasia out? I haven't been paying attention to this sort of thing.

I just heard the samples and I was surprised to hear something similar to the Metal Opera and classic Edguy. Didn't expect that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #813 on: December 29, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »
Wow, is the new Avantasia out? 

January 29th.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #814 on: December 29, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
It has been published by mistake on Spotify, then taken back.

Enough for people to do what people do in these cases, I won't bother since the quality will not even be that great.

One month of waiting, same for DT!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: December 29, 2015, 04:12:42 PM »
I wasn't crazy about the single, but those samples are really awesome and have gotten me really anticipating this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: December 29, 2015, 09:12:18 PM »
I just heard the samples and I was surprised to hear something similar to the Metal Opera and classic Edguy. Didn't expect that.

I don't hear that at all.

Offline gazinwales

If anyone has any questions for Tobi, I am doing a phone interview with him on Friday night, hit me up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ask him about trying to get Meatloaf to sing on the new song.

And ask if he thinks he's getting closer to getting Dickinson any time soon haha.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
When is he announcing the rest of the tour dates?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
When is he bringing Avantasia to Australia?

He promised on the Edguy Hellfire Club tour he would be back in Brisbane and I'm still waiting haha

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Why was Tate necessary? Was Todd LaTorre not available?  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gazinwales

He promised on the Edguy Hellfire Club tour he would be back in Brisbane and I'm still waiting haha

The answer to that is when an AU promoter books the venue's  ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
About Meatloaf: I think Tobi asked him to participate and Meatloaf's management just said no, simple as that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The answer to that is when an AU promoter books the venue's  ;D

It would be interesting to see how much interest there would be in an Avantasia Australi tour.  I think it would surprisingly get a lot of people there.

About Meatloaf: I think Tobi asked him to participate and Meatloaf's management just said no, simple as that.

I think this really was a poor play by Meatloaf and his management.  It could have opened him up to a new audience.

Offline gazinwales

I was thinking the same thing myself, what size venue's could Avantasia potentially play in Australia?
I really think that they would need to be playing decent sized venue's that would warrant and justify them coming here.

The Enmore Theatre here in Sydney capacity is around 2,000 people.
That would be the minimum size venue and Nightwish are playing their on Saturday night and it is not sold out.

Offline gazinwales

Despite the shittiest sounding mp3's I've ever heard, the album is pretty good.

Needs a few more listens, but the Tate song (Seduction Of Decay) is my fave song.
The rest has it's moments, the title track is perhaps just a little on the, generic power metal fast songs by the numbers.
Of course Jorn sounds mega as per usual, but the real surprise is the very gothic sounding 'Darconian Love' this would be the strangest Avantasia song yet, but it works.

Offline Lowdz

For those of you old enough to remember this, I wouldn't mind some Draconian Love...  :heart

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Despite the shittiest sounding mp3's I've ever heard, the album is pretty good.

Needs a few more listens, but the Tate song (Seduction Of Decay) is my fave song.
The rest has it's moments, the title track is perhaps just a little on the, generic power metal fast songs by the numbers.
Of course Jorn sounds mega as per usual, but the real surprise is the very gothic sounding 'Darconian Love' this would be the strangest Avantasia song yet, but it works.

Sounds good.  I'm fine with the generic power metal stuff too.

There was a couple of strange songs on AOB so Darconian Love must be interesting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
For those of you old enough to remember this, I wouldn't mind some Draconian Love...  :heart

Biddi-biddi-biddi-biddi, indeed!  :eyebrows:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was thinking the same thing myself, what size venue's could Avantasia potentially play in Australia?
I really think that they would need to be playing decent sized venue's that would warrant and justify them coming here.

The Enmore Theatre here in Sydney capacity is around 2,000 people.
That would be the minimum size venue and Nightwish are playing their on Saturday night and it is not sold out.

Yeah, I think they would be stuck for venues.  Nothing really up here in Brisbane either.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
If you build it, they will come

Offline gazinwales

I'm still buzzing from the phone interview with Tobi.
Hell of a nice bloke too, it was like talking to an old mate wile having a beer.
I had 16 questions prepared but we barely got through 6, our allotted time went over by almost 10 minutes.

Tobi's final comments were that we'd see him with Edguy downunder again, NOT Avantasia.
We just don't have the market and the cost of bringing the whole show down here would prohibit
any Avantasia tour in the forceable future.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Any mention of coming to the US?

Offline gazinwales

No idea, why would I ask him this  :o ?
At a wild guess I think the same would apply to the USA as Australia and all the other small
markets around the world.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm still buzzing from the phone interview with Tobi.
Hell of a nice bloke too, it was like talking to an old mate wile having a beer.
I had 16 questions prepared but we barely got through 6, our allotted time went over by almost 10 minutes.

Tobi's final comments were that we'd see him with Edguy downunder again, NOT Avantasia.
We just don't have the market and the cost of bringing the whole show down here would prohibit
any Avantasia tour in the forceable future.

Yeah, as we thought, this totally makes sense.  I'm happy to go and see Edguy again though, they put on an amazing show last time.  Hopefully they come to Brisbane though.  Seems bands just like to do the Melbourne and Sydney shows lately.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
No idea, why would I ask him this  :o ?
At a wild guess I think the same would apply to the USA as Australia and all the other small
markets around the world.

No idea you would either  :biggrin: Just in the same boat as you guys

Offline gazinwales

If bands are not being booked for Brisbane, then the local promoters don't have any confidence in you Queenslanders  ;D
BTW heard from a very good source last night, full Sabaton tour in July.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If bands are not being booked for Brisbane, then the local promoters don't have any confidence in you Queenslanders  ;D
BTW heard from a very good source last night, full Sabaton tour in July.

Yeah, actually some turnouts for concerts over the years I've been too have been quite underwhelming.  Edguy had like 200 people tops.

I'm not that big on Sabaton either.  They are one of those bands that I should and want to like but nothing I've heard really grabs me at all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Their songs sound too similar. Fun band but its hard to get really into them IMO.