Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209513 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #770 on: December 10, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »
Didn't Tobi say he was going for a Meatloaf approach and feel with this song?

Going to listen now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #771 on: December 10, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »
This song is really great IMO.  I'm not a Meatloaf fan but know his hits, but still I don't see the big Meatloaf reference here.  There's a section of the verse that's taken from Gamma Ray's Armageddon.  Maybe they took that from Meatloaf.  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #772 on: December 10, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »
I really like the song.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #773 on: December 10, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
This song is really great IMO.  I'm not a Meatloaf fan but know his hits, but still I don't see the big Meatloaf reference here.  There's a section of the verse that's taken from Gamma Ray's Armageddon.  Maybe they took that from Meatloaf.  :lol

Backing vocals in particular are a huge vibe from the Loaf, as well as the melodies in general.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: December 10, 2015, 03:48:10 PM »
Yeah I sorta hear it and can see why people would say that.  But there's nothing totally ripping him off or anything to me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #775 on: December 10, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »
As a meat loaf fan (sometimes) I definitely hear the big man in this and could picture his voice on it as I was listening. Nice song. Hoping for better on the album though.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #776 on: December 10, 2015, 04:47:07 PM »
I'm a massive Meat Loaf fan and I can definitely hear that style in there, definitely a huge Steinman influence going on here. Really like the song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: December 10, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »
I think this song is really stellar.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #778 on: December 11, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »
From MR Forum:

It was actually written with the intention Meat Loaf sang it ... but his management didn't even let him hear it (see Tobias interview in new Fireworks, out next week)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: December 11, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »
Interested to see that interview as to why he didnt sing this song, its clearly a meatloaf inspired song so it sucks Tobi couldnt get who he wanted on this.

As for the song, its good, but really not something that is getting me hyped about this album. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #780 on: December 12, 2015, 06:29:11 AM »
One thing I am going to miss from The Mystery Of Time is Russell Gilbrook's drumming. I thought it was stellar and really carried that album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: December 17, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
Got this in my inbox:

SUPER LIMITED DELUXE EDITION - 3 CDs & large 68-pages hard cover book!

The new album GHOSTLIGHTS will also be available in a super limited special edition including a 68 pages book with dozens of unseen pictures. The edition contains 3 CDs:

DISC 1 - the original CD + bonus track "Wake Up To The Moon" (sung by Michael Kiske, Jorn Lande, Bob Catley, Ronnie Atkins, Robert Mason and Tobias Sammet
DISC 2 - a live CD mainly recorded in 2013 and 2014
DISC 3 - full of instrumental versions.

The SUPER LIMITED DELUXE EDITION will be a sought after collector's item - check it out here

I'm all over this like a Cougar on a wounded chicken.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: December 17, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »
I don't care about instrumental versions or fancy books anymore.  I'll probably stick with the 2CD.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: December 17, 2015, 09:18:40 PM »
This must be the same edition I ordered from NB.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #784 on: December 17, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »
I think the whole purpose of Avantasia, having the different singers, defeats an instrumental CD of being any real use.
I am not interested in the live CD either.
So I will get the vinyl picture disc and Japanese regular version with the obligatory bonus track.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: December 18, 2015, 04:24:38 AM »
Yeah, an instrumental version makes no sense to me at all.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: December 18, 2015, 06:12:52 AM »
Yeah, an instrumental version makes no sense to me at all.

Agreed... I wasn't so much interested in that as I was the picture book.  But €45 + shipping from amazon.de turns me off.  If it comes available on amazon.com, I'll reconsider.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: December 18, 2015, 07:51:09 AM »
Im more interested in that bonus track than anything else

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #788 on: December 18, 2015, 07:59:35 AM »
Instrumental versions of songs have only belated value. Why would one buy an album, listen to it, and then listen to the same album without the vocals while it's all still new? only when you know the songs inside out you can use the instrumental versions to concentrate more on the actual music and / or for some karaoke fun.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: December 20, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
From Avantasia FB:

EUROPE, ASIA, AMERICA - more shows & countries tba soon!

Feels like Christmas drawing near: New album gets best reactions in my entire career (see below) and we'll bring this juggernaut around the world. Confirmed so far: Russia, Hungary, Spain, Italy, Japan, Brazil, England, France, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Sweden, Germany & MANY MORE COUNTRIES TBC SOON

Well, whoever complained they never come to NA, I think it may finally happen on this tour.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: December 20, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
That would be awesome!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #791 on: December 20, 2015, 02:55:21 PM »
https://metalitalia.com/articolo/avantasia-lo-studio-report-di-ghostlights/

Lenghty italian studio report plus there's an interview with Sasha Paeth.

If you want have some fun with Google translator, here are the essentials:

Mystery..... well we all have heard it.

Let The Storm Descend Upon You is a complicated track, it looks like it may be about to end twice or thrice and then restarts again, heavy mid-tempo, it speeds up afterwards. Lot of details and vocal duels.

The Haunting has Dee Snider, but it's more in style with dark Alice Cooper, not Twisted Sister. Tobi wanted someone scary but not too much, a sinister approach that was not overly dangerous. Bluesy guitars.

Seduction Of Decay started as a tribute to Zeppelin's Black Dog, it evolved into something heavier and more sinister, Tate sings low and those tones suits him well. There are orchestrations with violins, there's somehow of a reminder of Suite Sister Mary.

Ghostlights is Kiske's song 'cause "no one else can sing high like him", classic power metal anthem.

Draconian Love is somehow gothic, mixes goth rock, soft Moonspell and power metal. Very low vocals by Herbie Langhans 'cause Tobi couldn't go that low.

Master Of The Pendulum is heavy and hard, both Tobi and Marco Hietala play evil characters. Riff is heavy as Edguy's Mysteria.

Isle Of Evermore is a new-age-ish ballad with Sharon. Described as a "bitter ballad".

Babylon Vampyres is a heavy song that showcases the guitar players, there are three solos, one is right at the beginning. It's all about the guitar work here it seems.

Lucifer is a ballad written for Jorn's voice, it's a piano piece. It ends when it seemed it could start into something heavier.

Unchain The Light is another power metallish song, the other one more in style with old Avantasia and Edguy, Kiske is in here as well.

A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies is the classic Catley song, Tobi's part in it makes it heavier. Worthy closer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: December 20, 2015, 03:39:26 PM »
From Avantasia FB:

Feels like Christmas drawing near: New album gets best reactions in my entire career (see below) and we'll bring this juggernaut around the world. Confirmed so far: Russia, Hungary, Spain, Italy, Japan, Brazil, England, France, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Sweden, Germany & MANY MORE COUNTRIES TBC SOON

Well, whoever complained they never come to NA, I think it may finally happen on this tour.

I know I complained and am hoping they do, but that's not confirmation just yet of anything for N.A.  America could just as easily be S.A. which they are playing in Brazil.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #793 on: December 20, 2015, 04:02:33 PM »

Ghostlights is Kiske's song 'cause "no one else can sing high like him", classic power metal anthem.

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: December 20, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »
From Avantasia FB:

I know I complained and am hoping they do, but that's not confirmation just yet of anything for N.A.  America could just as easily be S.A. which they are playing in Brazil.

Yeah, I agree. However, I think I remember Tobi saying they'll play at least few shows in NA this time. I'll try to find the interview when I get home.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:58:50 PM by Evermind »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: December 20, 2015, 09:41:16 PM »
Those song descriptions sound good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: December 21, 2015, 05:32:45 AM »
From Avantasia FB:

Yeah, I agree. However, I think I remember Tobi saying they'll play at least few shows in NA this time. I'll try to find the interview when I get home.

oH realllyy.... not that would start to raise hopes. Hoping for a NYC date then.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: December 21, 2015, 05:41:32 AM »
Those song descriptions sound good.

Agreed.  It even sounds like the Tater song might be tolerable.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: December 23, 2015, 08:58:16 AM »
Alright, this is the interview I was talking about.

https://youtu.be/pXSOOLfvoNc?t=21m6s (from there until about 23:15)

Tobias says they'll probably do two shows in the US, one at the east coast and one at the west coast. He says they're also going to play in Canada.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: December 23, 2015, 09:05:49 AM »
I would hope the one east coast show is in NYC, that would be amazing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: December 23, 2015, 10:01:01 AM »
He says they're also going to play in Canada.

:fistpump:

He did seem pretty impressed with the crowd in Quebec City a couple summer's ago, and suggested they would return.

10/10 show... would fly to Quebec again.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #801 on: December 23, 2015, 04:08:30 PM »

Not saying it's 100% yet, but my magic 8-ball says that is indeed the likely scenario. ;)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: December 23, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »

Not saying it's 100% yet, but my magic 8-ball says that is indeed the likely scenario. ;)

Dont tease!  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: December 25, 2015, 08:12:33 AM »
New sampler from Ghostlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZqqlJ7lkJM&feature=youtu.be

I'm pleasantly surprised that Tate doesn't sound terrible.  Kiske is fantastic, as usual.  Everything else sounds good enough to pick this up on release day.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: December 25, 2015, 08:24:27 AM »
I love it! Had chills a few times during these four minutes.

Not too sold on Let the Storm Descend Upon You chorus (I assume this was the chorus), I imagined it to be more heavy and in-your-face, but it's more anthemic instead. I'll wait until I hear the whole song though. Everything else was mindblowingly fantastic if you ask me.

I don't regret ordering the super deluxe edition at all. This album is going to be so fucking awesome.

Edit: oh, and I've read on FB Herbie Langhans will join the band on tour. Guess that means Draconian Love is in the setlist, and I hope he'll do some lead vocals on other songs too, like Ronnie Atkins and Eric Martin did Twisted Mind without Tobias on the previous tour, not just providing backing vocals and singing on one song like Thomas Rettke on the same tour.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 08:54:56 AM by Evermind »