Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 210157 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #735 on: November 16, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »
Yeah, for the regular CD or digibook edition I would be inclined to wait for Amazon pre-orders too. I doubt they'll be selling the deluxe though, it's probably a strictly limited edition seeing how they give out the certificates and so on.

Anyway, I already knew I would be dropping a lot of money for this one, so yeah, the price is about what I expected.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gazinwales

Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #736 on: November 16, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »
It will not be on Amazon, it's a NB Mailorder exclusive.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #737 on: November 22, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »
https://www.stormbringer.at/storys/293/avantasia-ghostlights-track-by-track.html

German track by track review. Google translate does a decent job after all, you get the overall meaning.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: November 22, 2015, 09:46:28 PM »
He's saying he didn't like TMOT much, so I'll take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: November 23, 2015, 03:45:29 AM »
He's saying he didn't like TMOT much, so I'll take his opinion with a grain of salt.

I don't know how you could be a fan and not like that album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: November 23, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »

Ugh yea, seriously.  That album is amazing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #741 on: November 23, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »
It's not bad, but definitely low-tier Avantasia.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: November 23, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »

I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt too.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #743 on: November 23, 2015, 12:44:17 PM »
Well, but if he likes the new album while not being warm to The Mystery of Time, those of us who like the album should enjoy it even more!

They can't be that terribly different in style, same songwriter and same story / mood overall, it can't be different like The Metal Opera and The Scarecrow.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #744 on: November 23, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »

I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt too.

You'll take that fucker without any seasoning and you'll LIKE it. :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: November 23, 2015, 04:43:02 PM »
TMOT was a big grower I found.  I was rewarded though with multiple listens.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #746 on: November 23, 2015, 06:25:22 PM »
I missed a lot of the prior discussion, and there are more pages to read through than I have time, so forgive me if this has been asked:  Is this one a continuation of the story in TMOT?  I assume it is, but I'm not really a long-time fan of the band and do not follow them that closely.  (I only discovered them with TMOT and have not delved into their other material)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: November 23, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »
I have no idea actually.  I just assumed it was a new story.  I never followed TMOT story though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #748 on: November 23, 2015, 06:31:57 PM »
I thought Tobi mentioned that TMOT was the first in a trilogy. And no, there is no link. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: November 23, 2015, 06:33:17 PM »
That's cool then.  I should revisit TMOT and try and follow the story then.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #750 on: November 23, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
I thought Tobi mentioned that TMOT was the first in a trilogy. And no, there is no link. ;D

This I recall as well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: November 23, 2015, 09:29:32 PM »
I thought this should be a second part of the story, but seeing how some titles are not really TMOT-esque, I'm not sure.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: November 24, 2015, 09:01:28 AM »
I dont recall in any of the news updates on this album, there being any mention of the story for this album.  You would think Tobi would say that if it was the case?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: November 24, 2015, 09:57:02 AM »
I dont recall in any of the news updates on this album, there being any mention of the story for this album.  You would think Tobi would say that if it was the case?

I don't know, there's this quote:

The original is back! EDGUY frontman Tobias Sammet has returned to the studio to work on the new chapter of AVANTASIA. The sequel to the successful latest album "The Mystery Of Time" will be called "Ghostlights" and is scheduled to be released in early 2016.

The bolded, especially "the sequel" makes me think it's the second part of the story. With the band like Avantasia where every album is a concept one you just don't call something "the sequel" if it's not a continuation of the story unfinished.

Anyway, the news from Avantasia FB!

New single MYSTERY OF A BLOOD RED ROSE

Christmas is drawing near, and I got my "Nutcracker suit" on already! If you listen to the TOBIAS SAMMET ROCKSHOW on RadioBob (radiobob.de) on DEC 9th, 21:00 German Time you will get a world-exclusive pre-listening of the new Avantasia tune.

On December 11th it'll be available from iTunes officially.

Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose is a song I originally wrote with Meat Loaf in the back of my mind - but for some reason the collaboration didn't happen, so I did the song myself. The choirs alone took more than 40 hours to arrange and record - for a 4 minute song!!! That pretty much says it all. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing and 'More is more'! Have a great day! - The nutcracker aka Tobi

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #754 on: November 24, 2015, 11:19:44 AM »
This bit from the track by track

"Geoff Tate's vocals are slightly distorted and carry a slightly mysterious touch to the outside."

Made me  :biggrin: but then I realised it's an avantasia album he's ruining and I was  >:(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #755 on: November 24, 2015, 11:34:53 AM »

I don't know, there's this quote:

The original is back! EDGUY frontman Tobias Sammet has returned to the studio to work on the new chapter of AVANTASIA. The sequel to the successful latest album "The Mystery Of Time" will be called "Ghostlights" and is scheduled to be released in early 2016.

The bolded, especially "the sequel" makes me think it's the second part of the story. With the band like Avantasia where every album is a concept one you just don't call something "the sequel" if it's not a continuation of the story unfinished.

True, but sometimes news outlets use the terms "sequel" or "follow-up" very loosely in place of "the next album after..."  I think you are right, but just saying, it isn't NECESSARILY clear.

This bit from the track by track

"Geoff Tate's vocals are slightly distorted and carry a slightly mysterious touch to the outside."

Made me  :biggrin: but then I realised it's an avantasia album he's ruining and I was  >:(

Yeah, but at the end of the day, maybe having some distortion or other effects on Geoff's vocals will make them more palatable.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #756 on: November 24, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »
I always had the impression this was part 2 of 2, not of a trilogy... for sure it will be the continuation of the Mystery of Time storyline, but I'm pretty sure it will end here.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #757 on: November 24, 2015, 12:49:16 PM »
Tate uses that  distorted approach a lot and it doesn't help on his bands albums.
It's a pretty big indication that even tobi couldn't get anything decent out of him.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: November 24, 2015, 12:53:38 PM »
The word sequel does imply it follows up on the story, I must have just missed that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: November 24, 2015, 02:53:27 PM »
I'm sure Tobi did what he could with Tate.  He wouldn't ruin his project if a singer wasn't up to it, he'd make them listenable.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #760 on: December 10, 2015, 05:27:17 AM »
New song
https://youtu.be/PjRq72ZBZxs

Not too bad at all even though it sounds a bit like Meat****

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #761 on: December 10, 2015, 05:55:53 AM »
Meatdick? Meatarse? Meatcunt? I'm not sure what it is you're saying.

Not a bad song.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #762 on: December 10, 2015, 06:31:55 AM »
Glad i'm not the only one that thought it :D  As soon as I first heard it I thought "Oh god, he's gone full Meatloaf".

Not that that's a bad thing, but...it's not exactly inspiring.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #763 on: December 10, 2015, 06:32:59 AM »
Bat Out Of Hell Part 8!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: December 10, 2015, 06:48:16 AM »
He's gone back to basics with a Meat and Taters approach .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: December 10, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »
Bat Out Of Hell Part 8!

Yep. The song is alright, but I'm counting on something more original on the rest of the album.

Also, this must be the weakest opener of Avantasia album so far for me. Tobi was always great with openers, I mean, Reach Out for the Light was outstanding, The Seven Angels is :hefdaddy , Twisted Mind is harsh, in your face and perfectly fitting for the trilogy's theme, The Wicked Symphony is fantastic, Stargazers is very good and has an epic Jorn ending, Spectres is dramatic and awesome. Mystery of a Blood Red Rose? Well, it's alright but I don't think it's as good as any of these songs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #766 on: December 10, 2015, 09:12:13 AM »
I had forgotten that this thread even had a poll.   I guess I'll have to vote for Avantasia.  I've never heard Edguy, but that is just too dumb a name for a band to be taken seriously.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: December 10, 2015, 09:50:14 AM »
Speaking of band names, I sometimes happen to wear my Avantasia TMOT tour t-shirt in the office and three people have already mixed up Avantasia with Anastasia (a female name quite popular in Russia), asking a question along the lines "who is this Anastasia girl?"

Offline NotePad

« Reply #768 on: December 10, 2015, 10:52:31 AM »
I seem to remember Kiske is only singing on one song? That's oddly disappointing, considering my distaste towards him.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: December 10, 2015, 10:54:29 AM »
I seem to remember Kiske is only singing on one song? That's oddly disappointing, considering my distaste towards him.

You remember wrong, I think Kiske's on two. :angel: