News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st

Started by wolfking, March 19, 2010, 04:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

cramx3

That would be amazing if they got some of those top notch high profile singers at some point, but I don't see it, hence it's only his wishes. 

bl5150

Let's see if he can get Tate to sound good before he attempts Meatloaf  :rollin

wolfking

Quote from: bl5150 on November 11, 2015, 02:56:05 PM
Let's see if he can get Tate to sound good before he attempts Meatloaf  :rollin

Well played.  :lol

He has mentioned Dickinson every time an album comes along too I've noticed.  I remember him saying he has always been super jealous of Arjen for getting Bruce on board on Migrator.

Kwyjibo

And Arjen always replied that he was super jealous because Tobias got Alice Cooper for The Scarecrow.

wolfking

Quote from: Kwyjibo on November 11, 2015, 11:00:53 PM
And Arjen always replied that he was super jealous because Tobias got Alice Cooper for The Scarecrow.

Yeah, that's it, true.  I remember that also.

Nick

Quote from: wolfking on November 12, 2015, 02:34:05 AM
Quote from: Kwyjibo on November 11, 2015, 11:00:53 PM

Yeah, that's it, true.  I remember that also.

It's almost like they did an EP together founded on this very thing...

https://smile.amazon.com/Elected-Ayreon/dp/B0016IV1SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447395097&sr=8-1&keywords=ayreon+elected

:p

wolfking

cramx3

QuoteGHOSTLIGHTS ARTWORK AND TRACK LIST REVEALED
AVANTASIA's outstanding 7th album, »Ghostlights«, will be released worldwide on January 29th, 2016 via Nuclear Blast. Today, Tobias proudly presents the cover and announces the tracklists as well as the various formats, in which the upcoming record will be available.
The opus features guest appearances of Dee Snider, Geoff Tate, Marco Hietala, Sharon Den Adel, Michael Kiske, Ronnie Atkins, Bob Catley, Jorn Lande, Bruce Kulick, Robert Mason, Herbie Langhans, Oliver Hartmann and Sascha Paeth.
The record contains twelve songs and was produced by Tobias and Sascha Paeth in Gatestudio Wolfsburg, Germany. Paeth is responsible for engineering and mixing »Ghostlights«, too. Mastering was done by Michael Rodenberg.
The instrumentalists on »Ghostlights« are the following:
Sascha Paeth - rhythm guitars, lead guitars, bass, additional keys
Michael Rodenberg - orchestration, keys
Tobias Sammet - additional keys and bass
Bruce Kulick - lead guitars
Oliver Hartmann - lead guitars
Felix Bohnke - drums
CD
01. Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose 3:51
02. Let The Storm Descend Upon You 12:09
03. The Haunting 4:42
04. Seduction Of Decay 7:18
05. Ghostlights 5:43
06. Draconian Love 4:58
07. Master Of The Pendulum 5:01
08. Isle Of Evermore 4:28
09. Babylon Vampyres 7:09
10. Lucifer 3:48
11. Unchain The Light 5:03
12. A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies 5:53
2 CD DIGIBOOK
CD 1
01. Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose
02. Let The Storm Descend Upon You
03. The Haunting
04. Seduction Of Decay
05. Ghostlights
06. Draconian Love
07. Master Of The Pendulum
08. Isle Of Evermore
09. Babylon Vampyres
10. Lucifer
11. Unchain The Light
12. A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies
13. Wake Up To The Moon (Bonus Track)
CD 2 (Bonus Disc - AVANTASIA live)
01. Spectres
02. Invoke The Machine
03. The Story Ain't Over
04. Prelude
05. Reach Out For The Light
06. Avantasia
07. Whats Left Of Me
08. Dying For An Angel
09. Twisted Mind
10. The Watchmakers' Dream
11. Another Angel Down
3 CD DELUXE EDITION BOOK
(incl. 68page photo book ca. 28,5 x 28,5cm)
+ CD 3 (Karaoke Version of CD 1 w/o bonus track)
01. Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose
02. Let The Storm Descend Upon You
03. The Haunting
04. Seduction Of Decay
05. Ghostlights
06. Draconian Love
07. Master Of The Pendulum
08. Isle Of Evermore
09. Babylon Vampyres
10. Lucifer
11. Unchain The Light
12. A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies

wolfking

Amazing cover.

I'll probably stick to the 2CD edition, gotta have the live cd.

cramx3

wolfking

January 29th is gonna be a good day.  This, Primal Fear and Serenity.

Kwyjibo

Yeah, the live disc seems like a good addition, the karaoke version probably only for the Tate track.

bl5150

Quote from: Kwyjibo on November 13, 2015, 04:34:14 AM
Yeah, the live disc seems like a good addition, the karaoke version probably only for the Tate track.

:lol

That's thoughtful of Tobi - so everyone can do their own improved version of the Tate track.

Shadow Ninja 2.0

Love the artwork! It looks like a return to the Wicked Trilogy style.

Evermind

I'm extremely excited about this (especially about Let The Storm Descend Upon You track) and I'll probably get the 3CD earbook. My birthday is 19th February, so it'll be kind of a birthday present for me from myself. :lol

I'm not sure about some track names, like Babylon Vampires or Lucifer. Well, as long as the music is good.

Also, guest appearance by Herbie Langhans? I don't recall that being announced before. I love his performance on Beyond the Bridge album.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Shadow Ninja 2.0

gazinwales

I made a wallpaper with a Ghostlights theme along with the other NB Avantasia releases.
If anyone wants a full size with custom size (please specify) resolution, PM me.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

MirrorMask

Lovely cover! Surely, it beats over that blue and yellow thing, but damn if it's good!

Stoked for this release, just as for anything Avantasia related!

wolfking

gazinwales

MirrorMask

The Metal Opera part I and II  ;)

Incidentally, while I'll never deny the huge awesomeness those albums are filled with, while growing up I found my musical tastes changed and steered away from pure power metal, so while I'll always praise songs The Seven Angels, Sign of the Cross, Avantasia and the likes, I find myself more aligned with the more "mature" and eclectic direction Tobi took Avantasia in, so I don't really "miss" the Metal Opera... having a lot of fun should I happen to hear those songs live or otherwise? hell yes, but going back to listen to them instead of the more recent albums? no. Can't remember the last time I spinned from start to finish the Metal Opera, while from time to time I still enjoy immensely the Scarecrow album and its successors.

wolfking

Quote from: gazinwales on November 13, 2015, 03:38:10 PM
I am?
Which one are you talking about?

Just the first two bro, it's all good.  Just having a laugh.

I do get what Mask is saying though.  Even though I love the first two, I'm happy where Tobi is taking the band.

cramx3

Quote from: MirrorMask on November 13, 2015, 03:48:48 PM
The Metal Opera part I and II  ;)

Incidentally, while I'll never deny the huge awesomeness those albums are filled with, while growing up I found my musical tastes changed and steered away from pure power metal, so while I'll always praise songs The Seven Angels, Sign of the Cross, Avantasia and the likes, I find myself more aligned with the more "mature" and eclectic direction Tobi took Avantasia in, so I don't really "miss" the Metal Opera... having a lot of fun should I happen to hear those songs live or otherwise? hell yes, but going back to listen to them instead of the more recent albums? no. Can't remember the last time I spinned from start to finish the Metal Opera, while from time to time I still enjoy immensely the Scarecrow album and its successors.

I kind of feel this way as well.  The straight power metal is often hit or miss for me.  The first two albums are good, but its the stuff that came after that really gets me going.

Evermind

So, Jorn sings on three tracks, Michael Kiske, Ronnie Atkins and Robert Mason are on two songs each, and other musicians got only one track to sing. Tobias is on all songs of course.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

cramx3

Quote from: Evermind on November 14, 2015, 01:03:24 AM
So, Jorn sings on three tracks, Michael Kiske, Ronnie Atkins and Robert Mason are on two songs each, and other musicians got only one track to sing. Tobias is on all songs of course.

Nice, sounds about right for what I would have guessed and not much different than the past

wolfking

Tate would have been pissed when he found out he was only on one song and Jorn got three.  :lol

I'm very happy Ronnie gets an extra track.  I'd love to hear Catley a bit more though.

Evermind

Quote from: wolfking on November 15, 2015, 02:41:54 AM
Tate would have been pissed when he found out he was only on one song and Jorn got three.  :lol

I'm very happy Ronnie gets an extra track.  I'd love to hear Catley a bit more though.

:lol

I'm a bit tired of Tobias using Catley to sing on the last track on the past two albums (AoB and TMoT) - and on this one too. Shelter from the Rain was a welcome exception from this rule on The Scarecrow, and the song ended up being fantastic.

Does anyone know if Catley will join the tour again? Tobi got Kiske and Jorn on tour, and if they got Catley, I'm hoping for Runaway Train return to the setlist.

MirrorMask

Please yes! I'd love to hear Runaway Train, missed it on the Mystery of Time tour...

Evermind

Indeed! I also hope they'll play The Scarecrow (the song) again, since they have Jorn with them. I've heard it on TMoT tour with Ronnie, but I want to hear the proper version live. This song is too good to leave it out of the setlist.

In fact, I'll settle for these three epics: The Scarecrow, Runaway Train and the new one. If we get Saviour on the Clockwork again along with these three, that will be even better.

cramx3

Quote from: Evermind on November 15, 2015, 04:37:02 AM
In fact, I'll settle for these three epics: The Scarecrow, Runaway Train and the new one. If we get Saviour on the Clockwork again along with these three, that will be even better.

This would be epic.  Those are possibly my favorite songs by them.

wolfking

Evermind

jingle.boy

I will wait until it's on Amazon.  Not inclined to drop $28 CAD on a 2-CD set + NB's shipping costs.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on Today at 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!