Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209261 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
That would be amazing if they got some of those top notch high profile singers at some point, but I don't see it, hence it's only his wishes. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Let's see if he can get Tate to sound good before he attempts Meatloaf  :rollin
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Let's see if he can get Tate to sound good before he attempts Meatloaf  :rollin

Well played.  :lol

He has mentioned Dickinson every time an album comes along too I've noticed.  I remember him saying he has always been super jealous of Arjen for getting Bruce on board on Migrator.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
And Arjen always replied that he was super jealous because Tobias got Alice Cooper for The Scarecrow.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And Arjen always replied that he was super jealous because Tobias got Alice Cooper for The Scarecrow.

Yeah, that's it, true.  I remember that also.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

Yeah, that's it, true.  I remember that also.

It's almost like they did an EP together founded on this very thing...

https://smile.amazon.com/Elected-Ayreon/dp/B0016IV1SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447395097&sr=8-1&keywords=ayreon+elected

:p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
How could I have forgotten that?  :facepalm:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
GHOSTLIGHTS ARTWORK AND TRACK LIST REVEALED
AVANTASIA's outstanding 7th album, »Ghostlights«, will be released worldwide on January 29th, 2016 via Nuclear Blast. Today, Tobias proudly presents the cover and announces the tracklists as well as the various formats, in which the upcoming record will be available.
The opus features guest appearances of Dee Snider, Geoff Tate, Marco Hietala, Sharon Den Adel, Michael Kiske, Ronnie Atkins, Bob Catley, Jorn Lande, Bruce Kulick, Robert Mason, Herbie Langhans, Oliver Hartmann and Sascha Paeth.
The record contains twelve songs and was produced by Tobias and Sascha Paeth in Gatestudio Wolfsburg, Germany. Paeth is responsible for engineering and mixing »Ghostlights«, too. Mastering was done by Michael Rodenberg.
The instrumentalists on »Ghostlights« are the following:
Sascha Paeth - rhythm guitars, lead guitars, bass, additional keys
Michael Rodenberg - orchestration, keys
Tobias Sammet - additional keys and bass
Bruce Kulick - lead guitars
Oliver Hartmann - lead guitars
Felix Bohnke - drums
CD
01. Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose 3:51
02. Let The Storm Descend Upon You 12:09
03. The Haunting 4:42
04. Seduction Of Decay 7:18
05. Ghostlights 5:43
06. Draconian Love 4:58
07. Master Of The Pendulum 5:01
08. Isle Of Evermore 4:28
09. Babylon Vampyres 7:09
10. Lucifer 3:48
11. Unchain The Light 5:03
12. A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies 5:53
2 CD DIGIBOOK
CD 1
01. Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose
02. Let The Storm Descend Upon You
03. The Haunting
04. Seduction Of Decay
05. Ghostlights
06. Draconian Love
07. Master Of The Pendulum
08. Isle Of Evermore
09. Babylon Vampyres
10. Lucifer
11. Unchain The Light
12. A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies
13. Wake Up To The Moon (Bonus Track)
CD 2 (Bonus Disc - AVANTASIA live)
01. Spectres
02. Invoke The Machine
03. The Story Ain't Over
04. Prelude
05. Reach Out For The Light
06. Avantasia
07. Whats Left Of Me
08. Dying For An Angel
09. Twisted Mind
10. The Watchmakers' Dream
11. Another Angel Down
3 CD DELUXE EDITION BOOK
(incl. 68page photo book ca. 28,5 x 28,5cm)
+ CD 3 (Karaoke Version of CD 1 w/o bonus track)
01. Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose
02. Let The Storm Descend Upon You
03. The Haunting
04. Seduction Of Decay
05. Ghostlights
06. Draconian Love
07. Master Of The Pendulum
08. Isle Of Evermore
09. Babylon Vampyres
10. Lucifer
11. Unchain The Light
12. A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Amazing cover.

I'll probably stick to the 2CD edition, gotta have the live cd.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea the live CD is a really nice addition to the album

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #711 on: November 13, 2015, 04:29:14 AM »
January 29th is gonna be a good day.  This, Primal Fear and Serenity.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #712 on: November 13, 2015, 05:34:14 AM »
Yeah, the live disc seems like a good addition, the karaoke version probably only for the Tate track.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: November 13, 2015, 05:36:21 AM »
Yeah, the live disc seems like a good addition, the karaoke version probably only for the Tate track.

:lol

That's thoughtful of Tobi - so everyone can do their own improved version of the Tate track.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #714 on: November 13, 2015, 06:30:32 AM »
Love the artwork! It looks like a return to the Wicked Trilogy style.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: November 13, 2015, 08:08:07 AM »
I'm extremely excited about this (especially about Let The Storm Descend Upon You track) and I'll probably get the 3CD earbook. My birthday is 19th February, so it'll be kind of a birthday present for me from myself. :lol

I'm not sure about some track names, like Babylon Vampires or Lucifer. Well, as long as the music is good.

Also, guest appearance by Herbie Langhans? I don't recall that being announced before. I love his performance on Beyond the Bridge album.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:41:29 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #716 on: November 13, 2015, 09:28:36 AM »
Whoa, I didn't even notice that. Awesome! :metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #717 on: November 13, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »
I made a wallpaper with a Ghostlights theme along with the other NB Avantasia releases.
If anyone wants a full size with custom size (please specify) resolution, PM me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #718 on: November 13, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »
That's very cool, Gaz!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #719 on: November 13, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
Lovely cover! Surely, it beats over that blue and yellow thing, but damn if it's good!

Stoked for this release, just as for anything Avantasia related!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: November 13, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »
You're missing the best two albums on that wallpaper though.  ;D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #721 on: November 13, 2015, 04:38:10 PM »
I am?
Which one are you talking about?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #722 on: November 13, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »
The Metal Opera part I and II  ;)

Incidentally, while I'll never deny the huge awesomeness those albums are filled with, while growing up I found my musical tastes changed and steered away from pure power metal, so while I'll always praise songs The Seven Angels, Sign of the Cross, Avantasia and the likes, I find myself more aligned with the more "mature" and eclectic direction Tobi took Avantasia in, so I don't really "miss" the Metal Opera... having a lot of fun should I happen to hear those songs live or otherwise? hell yes, but going back to listen to them instead of the more recent albums? no. Can't remember the last time I spinned from start to finish the Metal Opera, while from time to time I still enjoy immensely the Scarecrow album and its successors.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: November 13, 2015, 04:56:27 PM »
I am?
Which one are you talking about?

Just the first two bro, it's all good.  Just having a laugh.

I do get what Mask is saying though.  Even though I love the first two, I'm happy where Tobi is taking the band.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: November 13, 2015, 05:04:40 PM »
The Metal Opera part I and II  ;)

Incidentally, while I'll never deny the huge awesomeness those albums are filled with, while growing up I found my musical tastes changed and steered away from pure power metal, so while I'll always praise songs The Seven Angels, Sign of the Cross, Avantasia and the likes, I find myself more aligned with the more "mature" and eclectic direction Tobi took Avantasia in, so I don't really "miss" the Metal Opera... having a lot of fun should I happen to hear those songs live or otherwise? hell yes, but going back to listen to them instead of the more recent albums? no. Can't remember the last time I spinned from start to finish the Metal Opera, while from time to time I still enjoy immensely the Scarecrow album and its successors.

I kind of feel this way as well.  The straight power metal is often hit or miss for me.  The first two albums are good, but its the stuff that came after that really gets me going.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: November 14, 2015, 02:03:24 AM »
So, Jorn sings on three tracks, Michael Kiske, Ronnie Atkins and Robert Mason are on two songs each, and other musicians got only one track to sing. Tobias is on all songs of course.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: November 14, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »
So, Jorn sings on three tracks, Michael Kiske, Ronnie Atkins and Robert Mason are on two songs each, and other musicians got only one track to sing. Tobias is on all songs of course.

Nice, sounds about right for what I would have guessed and not much different than the past

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: November 15, 2015, 03:41:54 AM »
Tate would have been pissed when he found out he was only on one song and Jorn got three.  :lol

I'm very happy Ronnie gets an extra track.  I'd love to hear Catley a bit more though.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: November 15, 2015, 04:46:08 AM »
Tate would have been pissed when he found out he was only on one song and Jorn got three.  :lol

I'm very happy Ronnie gets an extra track.  I'd love to hear Catley a bit more though.

:lol

I'm a bit tired of Tobias using Catley to sing on the last track on the past two albums (AoB and TMoT) - and on this one too. Shelter from the Rain was a welcome exception from this rule on The Scarecrow, and the song ended up being fantastic.

Does anyone know if Catley will join the tour again? Tobi got Kiske and Jorn on tour, and if they got Catley, I'm hoping for Runaway Train return to the setlist.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 05:07:52 AM by Evermind »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #729 on: November 15, 2015, 05:31:33 AM »
Please yes! I'd love to hear Runaway Train, missed it on the Mystery of Time tour...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: November 15, 2015, 05:37:02 AM »
Indeed! I also hope they'll play The Scarecrow (the song) again, since they have Jorn with them. I've heard it on TMoT tour with Ronnie, but I want to hear the proper version live. This song is too good to leave it out of the setlist.

In fact, I'll settle for these three epics: The Scarecrow, Runaway Train and the new one. If we get Saviour on the Clockwork again along with these three, that will be even better.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: November 15, 2015, 07:02:11 AM »
In fact, I'll settle for these three epics: The Scarecrow, Runaway Train and the new one. If we get Saviour on the Clockwork again along with these three, that will be even better.

This would be epic.  Those are possibly my favorite songs by them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: November 15, 2015, 09:33:05 PM »
I never really rated Runaway Train.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: November 16, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »
Pre-orders are up on Nuclear Blast page. I think I'll be getting this one.

https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/tontraeger/cd/buch-cd-cd/avantasia-ghostlights-earbook-deluxe.html

Will place the order tomorrow.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #734 on: November 16, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
I will wait until it's on Amazon.  Not inclined to drop $28 CAD on a 2-CD set + NB's shipping costs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion