Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209468 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New Edguy - Space Police
« Reply #595 on: September 20, 2015, 04:48:10 AM »
I liked it better than Angel of Babylon, but still put it behind Scarecrow and Wicked Symphony.

And I know Kade will go with TMO.

Probably.  It's close though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Avantasia Only! Edguy can go die in the corner
« Reply #596 on: September 20, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »
If Avantasia went out an toured, I would prefer to see the old crew.  But since that isn't happening and one-off shows =/= tour, I'd like to see some new voices brought in.

But IIRC, one of the things people have complained about the last Ayreon album was the singers.  I can see Tobias' point of view.  You have Marshawn Lynch, just run the damn ball for the TD.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Avantasia Only! Edguy can go die in the corner
« Reply #597 on: September 20, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
If Avantasia went out an toured, I would prefer to see the old crew.  But since that isn't happening and one-off shows =/= tour, I'd like to see some new voices brought in.

But IIRC, one of the things people have complained about the last Ayreon album was the singers.  I can see Tobias' point of view.  You have Marshawn Lynch, just run the damn ball for the TD.

Or run it in OT on 4th down and get stuffed?   ;)

My only complaint with Arjen (ever), was with 01... too many vocalists - none had a chance to shine.  Theory of Everything was just fine - I like Marco, Scabbia and Squadrani were excellent, Mills was a nice surprise, and nothing needs to be said about Tommy's awesomness.   Whetton's contribution was just ok.

I'm hopeful Tobi has something new and interesting up his sleeve.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: October 02, 2015, 04:28:04 AM »
From Avantasia FB:

DEE SNIDER OF TWISTED SISTER JOINS AVANTASIA!

'We're Not Gonna Take It', 'I Wanna Rock', 'The Kids Are Back'... There's hardly any Rock fan around the globe who isn't familiar with the big hits of Rock icons TWISTED SISTER, whose frontman Dee Snider is going to appear on the new AVANTASIA album 'GHOSTLIGHTS' (out on January 29th). Besides Tobias Sammet, vocalists who have been confirmed for the new chapter of the Metal Opera are Geoff Tate (ex-Queensryche, Operation Mindcrime), Jorn Lande, Bob Catley (Magnum) and Michael Kiske (ex-Helloween, Unisonic). More singers are going to be announced soon.

Tobias comments: "I've always been a fan of Twisted Sister and Dee Snider in particular. He is entertaining, flamboyant, energetic, loud, tongue in cheek, colourful and mean! When I was young, I remember that he was the kind of character that I wanted to be. A crossing between peacock, jackal and Bugs Bunny. I loved it! On "Ghostlights" Dee is gonna be a ghost, and what a ghost he is. Great performance. And I kindly ask our webmaster to put a link to Twisted Sister's 'We're not gonna take it' because that is the video that says everything about what Rock'n Roll is about in my book! Dee, welcome to the Avantasia family!"

I'm not familiar with the man. Are those good news or bad?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #599 on: October 02, 2015, 05:12:15 AM »
From Avantasia FB:

DEE SNIDER OF TWISTED SISTER JOINS AVANTASIA!

'We're Not Gonna Take It', 'I Wanna Rock', 'The Kids Are Back'... There's hardly any Rock fan around the globe who isn't familiar with the big hits of Rock icons TWISTED SISTER, whose frontman Dee Snider is going to appear on the new AVANTASIA album 'GHOSTLIGHTS' (out on January 29th). Besides Tobias Sammet, vocalists who have been confirmed for the new chapter of the Metal Opera are Geoff Tate (ex-Queensryche, Operation Mindcrime), Jorn Lande, Bob Catley (Magnum) and Michael Kiske (ex-Helloween, Unisonic). More singers are going to be announced soon.

Tobias comments: "I've always been a fan of Twisted Sister and Dee Snider in particular. He is entertaining, flamboyant, energetic, loud, tongue in cheek, colourful and mean! When I was young, I remember that he was the kind of character that I wanted to be. A crossing between peacock, jackal and Bugs Bunny. I loved it! On "Ghostlights" Dee is gonna be a ghost, and what a ghost he is. Great performance. And I kindly ask our webmaster to put a link to Twisted Sister's 'We're not gonna take it' because that is the video that says everything about what Rock'n Roll is about in my book! Dee, welcome to the Avantasia family!"

I'm not familiar with the man. Are those good news or bad?

He's got a good, distinctive voice. Not a great range but  he can do sinister! Toby's summed him up well there. He's a better singer than Geoff Tate at this point.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: October 02, 2015, 05:15:56 AM »
I don't know what to think of that.  Never really checked any Twisted Sister and no idea what he sounds like these days.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: October 02, 2015, 05:43:27 AM »
What Paul said.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: October 02, 2015, 07:39:16 AM »
Cant say what he sounds like now, but he is one of the biggest names to be involved with Avantasia.  I like Twisted Sister, but yea no idea if he has anything left in the tank.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #603 on: October 02, 2015, 08:29:13 AM »
Guy is a rock legend. Not much of a Twisted Sister fan and I am not really familiar with their discography, but for a guy of his age (60), he is in an INSANELY good shape (also stage presence wise).

This was on Wacken this year, rock classics with an orchestra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvqHuPkTb8

And here he shows up during an Angra concert :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pbLKgmx54

And this is with him jumping around and all.

I am sure his voice works great in an Avantasia studio album! Not sure about Tate though...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:34:48 AM by ErHaO »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #604 on: October 02, 2015, 09:31:15 AM »
Dee Snider  :metal

Can't wait to hear his contribution.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: October 07, 2015, 10:59:42 AM »
Ronnie Atkins will be on the new album and on tour again, they've posted it on FB an hour ago:

RONNIE ATKINS (PRETTY MAIDS) TO JOIN AVANTASIA

Fans in Europe & Asia have already had the pleasure to see the Danish rocker on stage with the Metal Opera. Now the whole world is going to get their share of Pretty Maids vocal powerhouse Ronnie Atkins. Not only will he appear on AVANTASIA's new album, he will also join the massive all-star line up on stage around the globe during the GHOSTLIGHTS WORLD TOUR 2016. The European tour will start in March, tour dates in other parts of the world tba soon!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: October 07, 2015, 11:26:49 AM »
 :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #607 on: October 07, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »
Meh..I'd rather Tobi give another song to Kiske. Or Dee Snider for that matter.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #608 on: October 07, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »
Actually, I don't think I can name one musician that sounds like Kiske. Maybe that's because I'm a huge fan of his voice.

You guys really don't think Kiske and Tate sound similar? That's one of the main comparisons made to Kiske throughout his entire career. Sure they don't sound exactly alike, but very similar. And of course these days, Kiske's voice sounds much much better, but the similarity is still there. (I've also always kinda found Kiskes voice kinda bland and prefer Tate to him these days)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #609 on: October 07, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
(I've also always kinda found Kiskes voice kinda bland and prefer Tate to him these days)

THESE DAYS??? WUT?

Notepad, no offense bro, but how anyone with ears can prefer Tate to Kiske "these days" doesn't make any sense to me. If you preferred Tate to Kiske in 1988, then fine. But in 2015?

In their primes, sure their voices were comparable. They had amazing strength in their upper registers and were surprisingly strong in their lower ones. Along with James Labrie (I&W), Tate (O:M) and Kiske (Keepers Pt2) own the Three Best vocal performances I have ever heard.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: October 07, 2015, 03:25:19 PM »
I think (hope)Notepad meant that these days he prefers "classic" Tate over Kiske.

Someone else referred to Kiske as a "generic metal vocalist" the other day and I was waiting for Timbo Slice to swoop in and it never happened.  Very disappointed  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #611 on: October 07, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »
I think (hope)Notepad meant that these days he prefers "classic" Tate over Kiske.

Someone else referred to Kiske as a "generic metal vocalist" the other day and I was waiting for Timbo Slice to swoop in and it never happened.  Very disappointed  :lol

I obviously missed it! :lol

The problem with Kiske is that he's singing generic power metal. But anyone that thinks that his performance on a track like Night Of The Long Knives is generic needs help.

Obviously I have a lot to say on Kiske. And listening to Condition Human, I've been thinking a ton about Tate.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: October 07, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »
Ronnie Atkins will be on the new album and on tour again, they've posted it on FB an hour ago:

RONNIE ATKINS (PRETTY MAIDS) TO JOIN AVANTASIA

Fans in Europe & Asia have already had the pleasure to see the Danish rocker on stage with the Metal Opera. Now the whole world is going to get their share of Pretty Maids vocal powerhouse Ronnie Atkins. Not only will he appear on AVANTASIA's new album, he will also join the massive all-star line up on stage around the globe during the GHOSTLIGHTS WORLD TOUR 2016. The European tour will start in March, tour dates in other parts of the world tba soon!

Fuck yeah.  Ronnie's awesome.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #613 on: October 09, 2015, 11:57:11 AM »
What I mean is.......exactly what i said. I know its controversial, but its my preference. Ive always felt Kiske's voice was quite bland. And this is coming from a huge Helloween fan. Perhaps I just need to hear him trying something different.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #614 on: October 09, 2015, 12:44:34 PM »
What I mean is.......exactly what i said. I know its controversial, but its my preference. Ive always felt Kiske's voice was quite bland. And this is coming from a huge Helloween fan. Perhaps I just need to hear him trying something different.

You can buy these at Amazon!

;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: October 09, 2015, 05:08:01 PM »
I like the lolly ones covered in sugar.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #616 on: October 09, 2015, 05:11:17 PM »
I like the lolly ones covered in sugar.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: October 09, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »
WTF?!  :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #618 on: October 09, 2015, 09:37:18 PM »
and a lifetime of therapy sessions begins . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #619 on: October 24, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »
I wonder how much the new Avantasia will sound like their recent albums. I wonder if they'll go back to the Metal Opera sound ever.

And by sound I dont necessarily mean songwriting. Although that's obviously a huge part of it. I'm more of an Edguy fan but I know Avantasia's evolution is supposed to mirror Edguy's. I've been listening to the Edguy catalogue again and I think a lot of their new sound has to do with the production, not just the songwriting. Take 'Return To The Tribe' or 'Arcane Guild' or something like 'Nobody's Hero'. They have pretty much everything Edguy has been doing their entire career. To me those songs sound like straightforward power metal. They just don't have the eurometal production sound of their earlier stuff. I don't get people saying Edguy and Avantasia aren't power metal anymore. Everytime there's a new release people complain ablout it. Just an observation.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #620 on: October 24, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
(I've also always kinda found Kiskes voice kinda bland and prefer Tate to him these days)

THESE DAYS??? WUT?

Notepad, no offense bro, but how anyone with ears can prefer Tate to Kiske "these days" doesn't make any sense to me. If you preferred Tate to Kiske in 1988, then fine. But in 2015?

In their primes, sure their voices were comparable. They had amazing strength in their upper registers and were surprisingly strong in their lower ones. Along with James Labrie (I&W), Tate (O:M) and Kiske (Keepers Pt2) own the Three Best vocal performances I have ever heard.

Kiske and Tate shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath these days. One can still sing whilst one talks his way through albums. And I've never really liked the Kiske vibrato and at one time worshipped Tate.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #621 on: October 26, 2015, 11:59:42 AM »
Come on now, Tate is not that bad these days. Plus he's much older, keep in mind. I know the FU album he did was godawful and was blasphemy to release under the name Queensryche. But based on what I've heard from his new album The Key, not only do I like his voice, the music itself actually sounds really awesome. There's a reason he's going to be on the next Avantasia.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #622 on: October 26, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »
Apparently the new album will have narration.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: October 26, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »
Apparently the new album will have narration.

Something different.  This should be an interesting album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #624 on: October 26, 2015, 02:36:34 PM »
Come on now, Tate is not that bad these days. Plus he's much older, keep in mind. I know the FU album he did was godawful and was blasphemy to release under the name Queensryche. But based on what I've heard from his new album The Key, not only do I like his voice, the music itself actually sounds really awesome. There's a reason he's going to be on the next Avantasia.

I'm sorry but he is that bad these days. Did you hear the refs orcs of the classics on FU? Truly abysmal. He isn't even singing these days. He's talking his way through the album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #625 on: October 26, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »
I actually like Geoff Tates lower tone better.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #626 on: October 26, 2015, 05:43:02 PM »
I actually like Geoff Tates lower tone better.

But that's because he has no high tone!

In his prime, his low tone was indeed outstanding. I cannot believe this is the same guy. Doesn't seem real.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: October 26, 2015, 05:46:04 PM »
In his prime, his low tone was indeed outstanding. I cannot believe this is the same guy. Doesn't seem real.

That's the thing.  Listen to something like Take Hold of the Flames and then what he sounds like now and it's unreal.  Saying that, I don't care about him anymore and what he sounds like, I just hope he doesn't bring this project down.  He could very easily be the achilles heel of the album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #628 on: October 26, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »
I'll say this about Tobi though, he gets the best out of his guests.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: October 26, 2015, 05:55:56 PM »
I'll say this about Tobi though, he gets the best out of his guests.

We'll see about that.