Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209229 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New Edguy - Space Police
« Reply #560 on: September 14, 2015, 11:24:26 AM »
Kiske and Tate sound alike? I can't really see that, even if Tate weren't shit these days.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: September 14, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »
Actually, I don't think I can name one musician that sounds like Kiske. Maybe that's because I'm a huge fan of his voice.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #562 on: September 14, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »
It's more the case that they LOOK alike more than they SOUND alike.  At least until Tate goes all goth/cabaret.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #563 on: September 14, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »
It will be kinda weird having Kiske and Geoff Tate on the same album considering how similar they sound.

WHAT??? We are not in 1988!

I am somewhat interested in what Tobi got out of Tate. He has a knack of getting great vocal performances. Although Biff Byford still sounds great, his performance on Mystery Of Time is spectacular. Same for JLT.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #564 on: September 14, 2015, 11:52:05 PM »
At the time of the Keeper albums Kiske sometimes reminded me of Tate in those high soaring vocals but fact is, Tate's voice deteriorated fast after Empire and since at least 20 years there are no obvious similarities.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: September 14, 2015, 11:53:25 PM »
Anyone remember the talk in the late 80's/early 90's about a project that was to be called The Three Tremors featuring Tate, Dickinson and Halford in their prime?  That would've been something.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #566 on: September 15, 2015, 01:44:21 AM »
Anyone remember the talk in the late 80's/early 90's about a project that was to be called The Three Tremors featuring Tate, Dickinson and Halford in their prime?  That would've been something.

Yep, and I found this little interview from 2014:

https://demolishmag.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/the-three-tremors-halford-dickinson-tate/

I remember I was excited when I first heard about it, but now I'm not so sure if it would have been good, and not just because of Tate's current state of mind and voice. More often than not these supergroups can't live up to the expectations.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: September 15, 2015, 05:38:23 AM »

I remember this very well and looked like it was gonna happen.  There was even a promo pic for it;

Yep, and I found this little interview from 2014:

https://demolishmag.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/the-three-tremors-halford-dickinson-tate/

I remember I was excited when I first heard about it, but now I'm not so sure if it would have been good, and not just because of Tate's current state of mind and voice. More often than not these supergroups can't live up to the expectations.

Tate's voice around that time was still excellent IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #568 on: September 15, 2015, 03:51:13 PM »
I was excited by the idea at the time. And for Tate to say they had nothing in common musically? Hello. Priest, maiden, early Queensryche? Nah, not remotely similar.
I suppose at the time it was mooted RH was doing his industrial thing, Tate was turning QR to shit. Only BD was actually doing anything the fans of these singers wanted to hear.

I wouldn't want to hear this now. Only BD still has the pipes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: September 15, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »
I thought this project was around the year 2000 mark?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: September 15, 2015, 05:53:34 PM »
I thought this project was around the year 2000 mark?

Could be .......old age.  I thought it was closer to the peak of QR (early 90's) and also Halford for that matter - otherwise I likely wouldn't have cared. But I have been wrong - once.  ;D  And it was talked about for a loooong time so there is no real official date as such.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:20:32 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: September 15, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
The pic looks later than 1990.  I think it might have happened around the time of Halford's Insurrection album.  I think the only thing we got was The One You Love to Hate.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #572 on: September 16, 2015, 02:53:51 AM »
I'll assume it was around 2000 as they did this together that year :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me549HoI6gk

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: September 16, 2015, 05:16:20 AM »
I'll assume it was around 2000 as they did this together that year :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me549HoI6gk

Wow, good find, I've never seen this.  Incredible performance from all three too, especially Bruce, he's tearing shit up here, beast mode.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: September 18, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »
Quote from: Avantasia FB
BOB CATLEY OF MAGNUM JOINS AVANTASIA AGAIN!
After Geoff Tate, Michael Kiske & Jorn Lande, another guest vocalist is confirmed to appear on the forthcoming AVANTASIA album "GHOSTLIGHTS" (January 29th, 2016): Mr. BOB CATLEY.
Mainly known as the voice on masterpieces such as "On A Storyteller's Night" or "Wings Of Heaven" by British Epic Rock legend MAGNUM, BOB CATLEY has also made himself a name amongst AVANTASIA fans, having appeared on signature tracks such as "In Quest For", "The Story Ain't Over" or "The Great Mystery". Besides Jorn Lande, Michael Kiske and many more, Bob will also join AVANTASIA on the European tour that is going to kick off in March.

It's sounding more like an Avantasia reunion.  Three great vocalists, but what I want from outfits like FreeFall, Ayreon, Avantasia, Epysode etc...  is new voices, not just recycle the ones that have already been used.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: September 18, 2015, 09:48:56 AM »
Quote from: Avantasia FB
BOB CATLEY OF MAGNUM JOINS AVANTASIA AGAIN!
After Geoff Tate, Michael Kiske & Jorn Lande, another guest vocalist is confirmed to appear on the forthcoming AVANTASIA album "GHOSTLIGHTS" (January 29th, 2016): Mr. BOB CATLEY.
Mainly known as the voice on masterpieces such as "On A Storyteller's Night" or "Wings Of Heaven" by British Epic Rock legend MAGNUM, BOB CATLEY has also made himself a name amongst AVANTASIA fans, having appeared on signature tracks such as "In Quest For", "The Story Ain't Over" or "The Great Mystery". Besides Jorn Lande, Michael Kiske and many more, Bob will also join AVANTASIA on the European tour that is going to kick off in March.

It's sounding more like an Avantasia reunion.  Three great vocalists, but what I want from outfits like FreeFall, Ayreon, Avantasia, Epysode etc...  is new voices, not just recycle the ones that have already been used.

I agree with what you are saying, hopefully there are a couple new voices added in, but these three have been staples in Avantasia, I almost can't imagine them not being involved in some way.  And sadly, the one new voice, has been met with meh

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #576 on: September 18, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »
I don't mind at all having a lot of the previous vocalists back again, especially considering the really lackluster vocals on TMOT.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: September 18, 2015, 10:06:32 AM »
I don't mind at all having a lot of the previous vocalists back again, especially considering the really lackluster vocals on TMOT.

Does not compute.   :|

I agree, that Lande, Kiske, and Catley are staples on the mic of Avantasia, love all of their contributions, and think they're fantastic.  I just don't get what's with the slow roll of announcing them one at a time if it's just the same as before.  I'd be more intrigued (and would continue to be) if each announcement was something new.

What's next, announcing Amanda?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: September 18, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »

I agree, that Lande, Kiske, and Catley are staples on the mic of Avantasia, love all of their contributions, and think they're fantastic.  I just don't get what's with the slow roll of announcing them one at a time if it's just the same as before.  I'd be more intrigued (and would continue to be) if each announcement was something new.

lol I was totally thinking she would be the next announcement, but then again she did just like give birth recently so maybe she is not involved in this.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: September 18, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
That's what I figured too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #580 on: September 18, 2015, 11:35:57 AM »

Because suspense, and promotion.  He could throw another curveball like Geoff Tate.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #581 on: September 18, 2015, 12:07:44 PM »

Amanda would be awesome, I'd love to have her on another Avantasia song.

TMOT was just kinda milquetoast vocally. Tobi was good, as usual, but really no other standouts. I couldn't even distinguish between most of the singers. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: September 18, 2015, 12:15:57 PM »
TMOT was just kinda milquetoast vocally. Tobi was good, as usual, but really no other standouts. I couldn't even distinguish between most of the singers. :lol

Ronnie Atkins, JLT, Biff Byford, Eric Martin, Catley and Kiske... you had trouble distinguihing between these voices?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #583 on: September 18, 2015, 12:35:44 PM »
Ronnie Atkins, JLT, Biff Byford, Eric Martin, Catley and Kiske... you had trouble distinguihing between these voices?
No kidding!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: September 18, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »
I would say no to Ronnie Atkins, he was my least favorite.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: September 18, 2015, 04:07:17 PM »

All of this, big time.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #586 on: September 18, 2015, 04:12:40 PM »
Kiske and Catley are good. The rest could all be the same singer as far as I know. Honestly it was a pretty big letdown, considering the amazing vocal diversity on the preceding albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: September 18, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
I would say no to Ronnie Atkins, he was my least favorite.

Ronnie was fucking awesome, I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

I'm with Chad though, Tobi has to try and keep it fresh I think.  There's lots of singers out there that would sing with Avantasia given the chance I reckon.

Oh, TMOT was awesome too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #588 on: September 18, 2015, 05:00:38 PM »
Yes it was. One of my favorite albums this decade.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: September 18, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
Yes it was. One of my favorite albums this decade.

Wow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: September 18, 2015, 05:14:24 PM »
TMOT is a great album, it's up there on best albums of the decade for me too, but haven't put enough thought into where it would rank.  I really think its a masterpiece though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: September 18, 2015, 06:20:36 PM »
I liked it better than Angel of Babylon, but still put it behind Scarecrow and Wicked Symphony.

And I know Kade will go with TMO.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: September 18, 2015, 07:14:31 PM »
I liked it better than Angel of Babylon, but still put it behind Scarecrow and Wicked Symphony.

And I know Kade will go with TMO.

Its a toss up with Scarecrow for me, but Scarecrow was last decade  :biggrin: regardless its still tie between those two as my favorite Avantasia albums.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #593 on: September 19, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »
What's that? Could it be... rankings?!

1. The Scarecrow
2. Angel of Babylon
3. The Metal Opera Part 1
4. The Mystery of Time
5. The Wicked Symphony
6. The Metal Opera Part 2

Not a bad album in the bunch though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: September 19, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »

Not a bad album in the bunch though.

This is the only thing that is right with your post.  :neverusethis: