Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209305 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New Edguy - Space Police
« Reply #490 on: July 20, 2015, 04:51:14 PM »
Edguy jumped the shark with Hellfire Club.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #491 on: July 20, 2015, 04:54:52 PM »
Edguy is alright, Avantasia is incredible. Not really any comparison, in my opinion.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #492 on: July 20, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »

Space Police was really good - very cheesy lyrically, but overall really good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #493 on: July 20, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
Amen. I've not heard all the albums from either project (Scarecrow, Metal Operas and a few other bits and pieces here and there) but Space Police is easily my favorite of all.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #494 on: July 20, 2015, 05:41:57 PM »
I actually gave up on Edguy. Space Police is the first one that I did not even sample. maybe I should check it out. They just seem so goofy at this point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #495 on: July 20, 2015, 06:25:02 PM »
I will admit, Space Police is incredibly cheesy and goofy at times (lyrically, in particular), but I don't even care at this point.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: July 20, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »
Edguy is alright, Avantasia is incredible. Not really any comparison, in my opinion.

This. I tried Space Police after it got some good reviews on this forum. It was alright, but I don't think I revisited it ever since.

The Mystery of Time though, this one still gets listens from me quite often.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #497 on: July 21, 2015, 10:47:05 AM »
I actually gave up on Edguy. Space Police is the first one that I did not even sample. maybe I should check it out. They just seem so goofy at this point.

I really liked Space police but it's certainly got its share of goofiness. It's their best since Rocket Ride for me but I know that isn't necessarily a glowing recommendation. The ode to Steve Harris on the special edition is goofy but fun. It's worth a go TAC but prepare for those lyrics.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #498 on: July 21, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
. It's their best since Rocket Ride for me but I know that isn't necessarily a glowing recommendation.   
:lol
An oxymoron for sure!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #499 on: July 21, 2015, 11:03:18 AM »
Avantasia, without a doubt.  I like most Edguy, love some of it... but it's the same formula, and pretty standard power metal.  High end power metal mind you, but there's nothing that makes it stand out from the likes of Kamelot, Primal Fear, and a dozen other power metal acts I could rhyme off.

Avantasia on the other hand is where Tobi gets incredibly creative, takes risks, and is able to spread his compositional wings.  Avantasia is an automatic pre-buy.  I even flew to Quebec for a weekend to see them - surely wouldn't have done that for Edguy.

People used to say Edguy was gonna be the new Maiden. But with the rise of Avantasia, all the focus has switched away from Edguy. It sucks.
Edguy does more then just plain power metal these days. Hellfire Club mixes a lot of traditional metal elements into their music, comparable to Maiden and Priest, Accept too. That was the start of that element to their music. Then rocket Ride and AoJ had elements of 80s rock/metal and pop rock.
Take a look at their Space Police album. The Realms of Baba Yaga is a power metal song, but sounds like no other power metal I've heard before. I want to see more of this unique metal but with all his focus on Avantasia it doesn't happen as often anymore.
(I'm also not into the whole Opera album thing)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: July 22, 2015, 05:16:41 AM »

Err...not really, the quality just dipped.  Space Police was really good and a great return to form.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #501 on: July 22, 2015, 05:53:07 AM »

Err...not really, the quality just dipped.  Space Police was really good and a great return to form.

Not for me. The early albums were a bit naive and rough round the edges. It started to come together with Mandrake, Hellfire Club and Rocket Ride, then things slipped a bit with TS and AotJ (both better on recent replays than I thought at the time). SP was very good though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: July 22, 2015, 05:55:10 AM »

Not for me. The early albums were a bit naive and rough round the edges. It started to come together with Mandrake, Hellfire Club and Rocket Ride, then things slipped a bit with TS and AotJ (both better on recent replays than I thought at the time). SP was very good though.
  I agree..............although I never really gave Space Police much time to grow on me.  I would tend to grab Rocket Ride or Mandrake over the rest......or Avantasia.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:01:15 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: July 22, 2015, 06:04:14 AM »
While Hellfire and Mandrake SHOULD appeal to me more, Rocket Ride was always my go to Edguy album for reason also.  For some reason that slipped my mind when I posted my comment.  My comment would be valid for the two albums after Rocket Ride, which is what I was thinking of.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #504 on: July 22, 2015, 06:21:08 AM »
I have Rocket Ride, Hellfire Club, and Age Of The Joker. Maybe I should dig them out.

The thing is, I'm not in love with Tobi as a vocalist, but I prefer the earlier stuff where I felt he was at least serious.
My go to Edguy album is The Savage Poetry.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: July 22, 2015, 06:31:27 AM »
Savage Poetry is fucking great and underrated.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #506 on: July 22, 2015, 02:42:17 PM »
OK.
I take back what I said.

Had a great listen to Rocket Ride and Hellfire Club. Hellfire Club is way better than I remember.
My birthday is in September so once my Amazon GC balance improves, I'll order Space Police.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: July 22, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »
Not sure if anyone saw this, but Wacken's youtube channel uploaded 3 songs from their performance last year and its significantly better than the other youtube videos and the audio is actually solid, you can hear the vocalists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px6zHODp9As

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #508 on: July 22, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »
Not sure if anyone saw this, but Wacken's youtube channel uploaded 3 songs from their performance last year and its significantly better than the other youtube videos and the audio is actually solid, you can hear the vocalists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px6zHODp9As

Great... my Watch Later list just got a little longer.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: July 22, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »
I wish they did the whole concert like this, its very well done and the entire concert is amazing, just the audio feed was terrible.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: July 22, 2015, 04:12:23 PM »
I'll be checking this out later too.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #511 on: July 23, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »
Savage Poetry is fucking great and underrated.

The Savage Poetry, the 2000 rerecording, is in my opinion one of their best. It's different from  the newer stuff, but also different from. The other early stuff. The Iron Maiden influence is very obvious on that album, I love it! It's like a faster Maiden album. Actually it's the perfect mix of early Helloween and early Maiden, but also uniquely Maiden.

It bothers me that they seem to ignore TSP. They never play the songs live.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #512 on: July 24, 2015, 05:20:13 AM »
I have Rocket Ride, Hellfire Club, and Age Of The Joker. Maybe I should dig them out.

The thing is, I'm not in love with Tobi as a vocalist, but I prefer the earlier stuff where I felt he was at least serious.
My go to Edguy album is The Savage Poetry.

Vain Glory has that "Kiske through a vibrato pedal" vocals that I find very offputting. Some good songs on it though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: July 24, 2015, 03:19:57 PM »
Tobi really developed his vocals over the first few albums.  Check the original Savage Poetry if you haven't already for a laugh.  Vain Glory is a pretty good power metal album, some great tracks on it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #514 on: July 24, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
I will say that Tobi has really gotten better as he has matured as a singer. The Mystery Of Time is to me, his best all time vocal.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: July 24, 2015, 03:32:22 PM »
He's tried to stop sounding like Kiske with the vibrato which has really defined him as a singer now IMO.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #516 on: July 24, 2015, 03:34:58 PM »
He's tried to stop sounding like Kiske with the vibrato which has really defined him as a singer now IMO.

You know the first time that I heard him, I thought he sounded like Kiske Lite. He's not in Kiske's league, but you can tell how much he is influenced by him.
I've always thought of Tobi as a cross between Kiske and Bon Jovi.

There was a great interview a while back where Kiske basically credits Tobi with his return to hard rock.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: July 24, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
For me, one of the reasons I like Avantasia over Edguy is because I am not the biggest fan of Tobi's vocals.  He has a very distinct voice and many songs I do not have a problem with his vocals, but I think his voice sounds the best when its complemented by another voice.  All of his songs where he sings along with someone else are so much better IMO.  Maybe its a product of those songs being better, but for me its so consistent that I get the feeling I just think he isn't the greatest stand alone singer in terms of the sound of his voice, not talking about ability here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #518 on: July 24, 2015, 03:50:24 PM »
Yeah, I agree with what you say Cram. When he's the voice of a character, I can somehow deal with it a little better.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: July 24, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »

You know the first time that I heard him, I thought he sounded like Kiske Lite. He's not in Kiske's league, but you can tell how much he is influenced by him.
I've always thought of Tobi as a cross between Kiske and Bon Jovi.

There was a great interview a while back where Kiske basically credits Tobi with his return to hard rock.

That's a pretty fair description actually. 

And yeah, getting Kiske to sing on The Judas At the Opera I remember was a pretty big deal at the time.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #520 on: July 28, 2015, 12:22:20 PM »
Tobi's voice was amazing earlier in his career. I still think he's great and one of my favorites, but his voice changed drastically. His style back then was very much like Kiske, but unlike Kiske, Tobti had to manipulate his voice to sound like that. He was like Kiske but with so much more.

Hellfire Club was when his voice started changing. I actually think that album was his best performance. He did his high pitch stuff but also dark raspy stuff, which Kiske couldn't do if his life depended on it. I do wish Tobi would push himself vocally like he used to. I believe he's still capable of it by just doesn't attempt it.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #521 on: August 26, 2015, 03:59:28 PM »
Got an email from CD Japan yesterday, new Avantasia EP November 18th.
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MICP-40016

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: August 26, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »
Exciting.  I hope there's an album too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #523 on: August 26, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
He was like Kiske but with so much more. 

No offence but you are not even close on this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: August 27, 2015, 05:46:42 AM »
Got an email from CD Japan yesterday, new Avantasia EP November 18th.
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MICP-40016

Weird, not a single bit of info on that besides a date and band name, well and price.