Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209276 times)

Offline NotePad

Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New Edguy - Space Police
« Reply #420 on: May 06, 2014, 02:33:02 AM »
I still haven't heard it. But I'm expecting something similar to their lack 2 or 3 albums, which is good to me! But i HAVE heard Tobi compare it to Rocket Ride and MANDRAKE. Now, the last few albums have had a more, hmmmm, shall i say, 'obvious' sound? Meaning the melodies and structures are more easy to digest for the masses, there's more 'pop' elements. Like Superheroes, 2 out of 7, Rocket Ride etc. as opposed to How Many Miles, Vain Glory Opera, Golden Dawn etc..

Anyone know what I mean? Their last few albums have had less of that 'euro' power metal sound and style of their earlier stuff. So I'm curious, are there any songs on the new album that can be compared to the earlier stuff in that way? I realize it probably has the newer Edguy production sound and mix, with the guitars and the way Tobi has been sounding recently. But are any of the songs comparable to the earlier stuff in terms of structure? Is there still that Helloween sound to their music?

BTW, I think their best CDs are Rocket Ride, AoJ, and Hellfire Club. What was so great about Hellfire Club was that, at least to my ears, a classic full of classic sounding power metal. It had that Helloween influence, but also had a Maiden influence, even some Priest. But they have not continued in that direction, it seems.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #421 on: May 06, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
I still haven't heard it. But I'm expecting something similar to their lack 2 or 3 albums, which is good to me! But i HAVE heard Tobi compare it to Rocket Ride and MANDRAKE. Now, the last few albums have had a more, hmmmm, shall i say, 'obvious' sound? Meaning the melodies and structures are more easy to digest for the masses, there's more 'pop' elements. Like Superheroes, 2 out of 7, Rocket Ride etc. as opposed to How Many Miles, Vain Glory Opera, Golden Dawn etc..

Anyone know what I mean? Their last few albums have had less of that 'euro' power metal sound and style of their earlier stuff. So I'm curious, are there any songs on the new album that can be compared to the earlier stuff in that way? I realize it probably has the newer Edguy production sound and mix, with the guitars and the way Tobi has been sounding recently. But are any of the songs comparable to the earlier stuff in terms of structure? Is there still that Helloween sound to their music?

BTW, I think their best CDs are Rocket Ride, AoJ, and Hellfire Club. What was so great about Hellfire Club was that, at least to my ears, a classic full of classic sounding power metal. It had that Helloween influence, but also had a Maiden influence, even some Priest. But they have not continued in that direction, it seems.

I'm really not hearing much Mandrake tbh. Rocket Ride and Avantasia mainly. Not much Helloween either. Very good album though and I haven't been that impressed with the last 2.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: May 20, 2014, 06:27:02 AM »
Finally got my copy of this.  Listened to it just once and it's quite good.

Definitely no return to Mandrake or even Hellfire Club, as Paul said, some Rocket Ride and pretty much a continuation of the last two, but much better.

The opening 4 songs are stellar and I particulary like Do Me Like a Caveman.  The Amadeus cover is fantastic too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #423 on: May 21, 2014, 01:52:46 AM »
I'v also finally heard it and I really like it. It's a really cool album. I love the title track, it's kickass with a great chorus and that cheesy 'space-y' sound is also really cool! This is definitely a return to a more power metal-ish style. But I'm sure many will still not like that because it doesn't have that same style of their earlier albums, you know when they had the Keeper/Maiden sound to them. But the Space Police album is definitely Edguy getting back to their power metal roots. And Love Tyger is soo good! and I love that Def Leppard tribute bonus track. I also like that because i can hear a big Def Leppard influence on Edguy the past few years.

I do wish the Amadeus cover song wasn't on the album. It's good, but I'd rather something else. It should have been a bonus track, definitely. 

Rocket Ride is where Edguy finally found their sound IMO. They'll never make another album that sounds like Vain Glory Opera, and that's fine with me ;). But they're still making the best power metal out there!

BTW, who else thinks that the best early Edguy album is The Savage Poetry? (by early, i mean before Mandrake). Anyone else hear a huge Maiden influence on TSP?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: May 21, 2014, 05:31:14 AM »
New album is definitely very good, although for some reason I feel like there should be a couple more songs.  It feels a bit short. 

Sabre and Torch is definitely the highlight for me.  The title track is excellent, although to me, it feels like a reworked version of the Age of the Joker bonus track, God Fallen Silent.  The final track seems to much like Avantasia to be on here.  Not one of their best epics but decent enough. 

The bonus cd IMO is pretty shit.  England is entertaining enough and Tobi does a great Dickinson impression, but there's no reason to keep coming back to this song.  The same can be said about the Leppard song.  The achieved what they were going for but again, no lasting power.  The Space Police prog version is only different by Tobi doing a fucked up voice in the second verse, which I can't figure out what it's suppose to be.  I was never a fan of instrumental tracks either.

I do wish the Amadeus cover song wasn't on the album. It's good, but I'd rather something else. It should have been a bonus track, definitely. 

BTW, who else thinks that the best early Edguy album is The Savage Poetry? (by early, i mean before Mandrake). Anyone else hear a huge Maiden influence on TSP?

I actually think Rock Me Amadeus fits really nicely in here and they did a great cover.

The Savage Poetry is one of their best albums.  (The 2000 version anyway)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: May 22, 2014, 06:32:22 AM »
After a few more listens, this is actually really growing on me, a lot.

On first listen I though Baba Yaga was one of the weakest, now I think it's one of the strongest.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #426 on: May 22, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »

On first listen I though Baba Yaga was one of the weakest, now I think it's one of the strongest.

I love Baba Yaga!
I thought Caveman was a bit of filler at first but love it now. There's parts of Shadow Eaters I don't love, but certainly not a skipper. A great Edguy album. I haven't taken this album out of the car cd changer since I got it and that says it all. Nothing else this year has stayed in this long.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: May 22, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »

I love Baba Yaga!
I thought Caveman was a bit of filler at first but love it now. There's parts of Shadow Eaters I don't love, but certainly not a skipper. A great Edguy album. I haven't taken this album out of the car cd changer since I got it and that says it all. Nothing else this year has stayed in this long.

I'm finding that too.  It's something that can just go on repeat and you don't even think about changing the cd, that's a damn good sign.  Caveman was one of my instant favs, nice bit of melodic rock that one.  Even the closer which I thought was a bit underwhelming is growing into a wonderful track too.

Terrific album, definitely gonna make my top 10, perhaps even 5 at this rate.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #428 on: May 22, 2014, 10:20:50 PM »
I love the way he sings the lyrics 'Do me like a caveman' at the end of the verse right before the solo. I find it really funny for some reason. And yea it is definitely one of the best on there. And I agree that the album feels too short. I don't even know how many songs these albums have and am too lazy to look it up, but Rocket Ride and AoJ feel like very long albums with lots of songs, which IMO is good cuz i love those albums. And I love Space Police, but it does feel too short.
And I actually wish the Def Leppard song was on the album instead of Amadeus. But that might be because I love Def Leppard. That songs sounds like it's straight of something like Hysteria.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #429 on: May 23, 2014, 02:35:15 AM »
I love the way he sings the lyrics 'Do me like a caveman' at the end of the verse right before the solo. I find it really funny for some reason. And yea it is definitely one of the best on there. And I agree that the album feels too short. I don't even know how many songs these albums have and am too lazy to look it up, but Rocket Ride and AoJ feel like very long albums with lots of songs, which IMO is good cuz i love those albums. And I love Space Police, but it does feel too short.
And I actually wish the Def Leppard song was on the album instead of Amadeus. But that might be because I love Def Leppard. That songs sounds like it's straight of something like Hysteria.

It seems ok to me but I have burned a disc for the car with the two bonus tracks on. I love England. I crack up every time I hear the line "England, inventors of... Indian food".  :biggrin: And the Hysteria track is good too.
It hadn't occurred to me that it was a short album though.
And Love T-T-T-Tiger is an earworm of epic proportions.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: May 23, 2014, 07:00:20 AM »
The more I listen, I don't really have a problem with the length.  It's 54 minutes, but feels shorter, which is actually a good thing cause it means nothing is dragging.

And I actually wish the Def Leppard song was on the album instead of Amadeus.

No way.

It's funny, I'm loving every track but both the bonus tracks do absolutely nothing for me, weird.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #431 on: May 24, 2014, 01:25:32 AM »
I can totally understand why the def leppard song is a bonus track. I think it has the potential to be on the official album though if they made some adjustments and took away the super obvious Def Leppard homages. All i really meant was i enjoy it more then the Amadeus song. Amadeus isn't bad, but it's my least favorite. It's a very solid album. There's some straight-up power metal on it, hopefully enough to keep THOSE fans happy ;p

To add something about Savage Poetry, I'm talking about the re-recorded version. I know Hellfire Club seems to be considered their Maiden album by many, it even says something like this on it's wikipedia page, but I never got that. The Savage Poetry is their album that I feel is most like Maiden. Most of their early stuff sound VERY helloween inspired, including TSP, but it also sounds incredibly like iron maiden. Like a pre-XFactor Maiden except faster and with Helloween harmonies/solo's. Fuck that's a great album, i'm surprised people often mention Vain Glory and ToS as their best early work.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: May 25, 2014, 05:40:33 PM »
I'd take TSP over TOS and VGO anyday.

There's some straight-up power metal on it, hopefully enough to keep THOSE fans happy ;p

It's funny, I don't really think anything on the album classes as power metal.  There's lots of heavy metal, but I don't hear power metal.  I guess Edguy really have a good grip on their own style and sound now, it's tough to categorize.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #433 on: May 26, 2014, 02:03:15 AM »
I think the album is a lot heavier then their last album. As a whole it has more of an atmosphere. The thing is Edguy has their own unique sound these days. None of the songs sound like typical power metal like their early stuff and most other power metal band. They mix other sounds like 80s hard rock and such. The only song on SP i think sounds the closest to straigh forward power metal is Defenders of The Crown. But a lot of the other songs are power metal too, but mix 80s rock styles with it, but there's lots of double bass and speed and guitar harmonies etc. Like Baba Yaga, that's a fast, heavy, power metal song. They just have their own sound unlike any other bands like them.

And does anyone else think TSP sounds A LOT like Iron Maiden? It's crazy, i'm new to the album and i wasn't expecting such a sound so close to Maiden.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: May 26, 2014, 05:33:57 AM »
Speaking of Maiden, Tobi does his best Bruce Dickinson impression on Baba Yaga.  You can tell he was thinking about Bruce while recording that one.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #435 on: May 29, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
I think Tobi might actually be right. This might actually be their strongest album to dat ;p Every song is good. On all their albums there are songs that just never grew on me. But not on this album. They're all great.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #436 on: August 02, 2014, 02:37:13 PM »
Avantasia live RIGHT NOW from Wacken if anyone is bored on a Saturday night like I am :D

Kiske nailing it as usual. :) :) :)

https://www.wacken.com/en/woa2014/main-specials/woalivestream09/3sat-livestream

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #437 on: August 02, 2014, 05:48:58 PM »
I got this notice in my inbox, unfortunately I was out this afternoon. Hopefully it'll be online somewhere soon enough.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline NotePad

« Reply #438 on: August 03, 2014, 01:21:23 AM »
Didn't know Avantasia was touring again. I'm disappointed. The focus should be on Edguy touring because, first of all, they have a new album out. I LOVE Edguy, yet i have very little interest in Avantasia.

I also really hope there is another Edguy album  before another Avantasia album. It will be so disappointing to see that happen

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #439 on: August 03, 2014, 05:10:35 AM »
Two shows does not constitute a tour.  It's Whacken... they do it pretty regularly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: August 03, 2014, 05:11:39 AM »
It would probably be smarter for Tobi to pimp Avantasia these days over Edguy.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #441 on: August 03, 2014, 02:20:27 PM »
It would probably be smarter for Tobi to pimp Avantasia these days over Edguy.

And why is that? Space Police seems to be very well-received and charted very high in a few countries.

I could understand if there were people in Tobi's life pushing him to focus mostly on Avantasia. But Avantasia should at least take a few year hiatus. Edguy needs to be focused on. Edguy IMHO has the potential to be much bigger then they currently are. A lot of their recent material has strong commercial potential. And that's NOT A BAD THING. I love this band. Their newest record is probably in their top 3 albums.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #442 on: August 03, 2014, 06:41:44 PM »
I think you're the only guy I've ever encountered that prefers Edguy over Avantasia. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: August 03, 2014, 07:23:15 PM »
Edguy have sort of blown their momentum with the last few albums, even though the latest is one of their stronger efforts.  Avantasia on the other hand seems to keep going forward and upward.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: August 03, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
I'd probably be more likely to grab an Edguy album than Avantasia , but as wolfking noted I'm talking the Mandrake/Rocket Ride/Hellfire Club type stuff.   I find I'm getting sick and tired of the multi vocalist stuff.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: August 03, 2014, 07:30:21 PM »
I'd probably be more likely to grab an Edguy album than Avantasia , but as wolfking noted I'm talking the Mandrake/Rocket Ride/Hellfire Club type stuff.   I find I'm getting sick and tired of the multi vocalist stuff.

Yeah, I'd go for an older Edguy album too, but the Metal Opera albums I rank just as high.

I felt that way with the multi vocal stuff but I found the last album really grew on me over time and in retrospect was a big step up from Symphony/Babylon.  I think the next Avantasia album will be a true telling on whether this thing can keep going or not.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #446 on: August 04, 2014, 04:11:50 AM »
Didn't know Avantasia was touring again. I'm disappointed. The focus should be on Edguy touring because, first of all, they have a new album out. I LOVE Edguy, yet i have very little interest in Avantasia.

I also really hope there is another Edguy album  before another Avantasia album. It will be so disappointing to see that happen

Seriously, you'd take Edguy live over an absolute spectacular show like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-7fWJenLM8

Offline NotePad

« Reply #447 on: August 11, 2014, 02:09:13 AM »
I actually would. Partly because I'm MUCH more familiar with Edguy's music. Whereas I have only heard 2 or 3 albums by Avantasia.

I do think it would be really amazing to see guys like Kiske and Lande in the flesh. But other then them and Tobi, i wouldn't be drawn there by any of the other vocalist likely to take part.

I'd just prefer the Edguy experience. They're a band. (although i will say that watching the live Edguy DVD, i noticed Tobi was very much the focal point of it all. Unlike say a Maiden DVD for example, where the there feels to be more attention to members of then Bruce. But of course that's just the DVD.) I'd want to hear Space Police songs, Hellfire Club songs etc.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #448 on: August 11, 2014, 04:30:17 AM »
I've seen Edguy live a few times over the years and trust me, they are solid yet unspectacular.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #449 on: August 11, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »

Seriously, you'd take Edguy live over an absolute spectacular show like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-7fWJenLM8

Kiske kicks some arse on this.  :metal
And always great to hear Uncle Bob and Eric Martin.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:55:10 PM by Lowdz »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #450 on: August 11, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »
Kiske!! :heart
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gazinwales

« Reply #451 on: August 12, 2014, 12:31:44 AM »
My question about the Avantasia Wacken show is where was Jorn?
What could he has possibly been doing not to be there?
Recording another shitty plod along boring solo album?

Yeah great to see Kiske on the big stage doing what he does best.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #452 on: December 16, 2014, 11:19:14 AM »
Been listening to Wicked Trilogy recently. Dadgum these are great albums, not a weak song between the three of them.

Current ranking:
1. Wicked Symphony
2. The Scarecrow
3. Angel of Babylon

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2014, 11:25:39 AM »
Been listening to Wicked Trilogy recently. Dadgum these are great albums, not a weak song between the three of them.

Current ranking:
1. Wicked Symphony
2. The Scarecrow
3. Angel of Babylon

I dunno, I think at least half of Angel of Babylon is weak. TS and TWS are quite strong though, yeah, though the latter suffers because of the awkward flow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #454 on: December 16, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
Honestly the only songs on AOB that I'd consider less than great are Your Love Is Evil and Blowing Out The Flame. And eve those are pretty good.

Also I've never had a problem with TWS, I think it flows great.