Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209266 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New Edguy - Space Police
« Reply #350 on: February 17, 2014, 04:07:24 AM »
Bloody hell  ;D    it'll be interesting to see what he's done with that steaming pile.

You never heard that song before?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2014, 06:09:46 AM »
Bloody hell  ;D    it'll be interesting to see what he's done with that steaming pile.

You never heard that song before?

Nope - or at least didn't find it memorable enough that I remember it.   I see it peaked at No. 15 in Australia back when I was 11yo ............even back then I listened to not much but rock (or pop with a decent dose of guitar)  and not a great deal in the way of radio.  Even music video - the only non-rock MTv video I remember watching was by a very talented singer called Sabrina  :neverusethis:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:26:09 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2014, 06:10:40 AM »
It is indeed a cover of that song Chad. I think they'll do it justice  :biggrin: :biggrin: Could be good.

How do you know?

Tobi's Facebook feed I think. Or Melodicrock.com. Can't remember though I think it was Facebook.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #353 on: February 17, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
Does Tobias write all the Avantasia music and lyrics himself? I know with Edguy he writes pretty much everything himself, but only does the vocals on the albums and during live performances. Does he play guitar or bass on the Avantasia recordings and live shows?

And no, I'm not bored of Helloween. To me, Edguy and Helloween are by far the best European power metal bands, they stand out from all those generic sounding bands like Stratovarious and Dragonforce, with their cliche fantasy bullshit. And I guess Avantasia has a fantasy aspect to it, but I read where Tobi was explaining why it's not like all those other bands. Plus I have yet to actually listen to Avantasia.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: February 17, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »
Does Tobias write all the Avantasia music and lyrics himself? I know with Edguy he writes pretty much everything himself, but only does the vocals on the albums and during live performances. Does he play guitar or bass on the Avantasia recordings and live shows?

He writes everything for Avantastia and most of Edguy. Jens the guitarist writes a couple of songs with him mainly on the earlier albums.  Van Glory Opera has songs credited to Edguy as a band though, so I'm not sure how much involvement they did have on that album.  Although saying that, it was only Tobi and the two guitarists as the official members at the time so I guess that could be true.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: February 17, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
I think the only Avantasia song Tobi didn't write is Symphony of Life from AoB, and it's pretty much hated on their forum anyway.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #356 on: February 17, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
I never understood that, I love that song.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: February 17, 2014, 09:13:49 PM »
I don't mind it too. Cloudy Yang (I believe it's her) does great job on chorus and overall this song is like a breath of fresh air on the album. I don't know how this song is treated here at DTF, but I guess we'll see either now or in AoB survivor somewhat week later.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #358 on: February 18, 2014, 12:59:53 AM »
I noticed Tobi used to play the bass on their earlier albums, did he also play it live?

I remember hearing in the past a bit of criticism about Tobi's high vocals on early Edguy, but more in a joking manner rather than harsh criticism. I also read an interview where Tobi said what he didn't like about listening to earlier albums like Mandrake was because he hated hearing his 'vibrato'. I assume the 'vibrato' must be what he does, or did, when he would sing high like that, kind of like he was vibrating his voice (i know nothing about the technicalities of singing ;p ). Personally, I really enjoy his singing when I listen to something like Mandrake. The way he hit the high notes has a very 'epic' quality to it, kind of operatic sounding, like Kiske+opera ;p I'm very impressed with his singing when I hear that album. I know Kiske was a huge influence on him, and it can be heard very much on early Edguy. I don't remember Kiske doing the vibrato thing much though. I could be wrong.

Anyone else feel his singing on Mandrake was amazing?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: February 18, 2014, 01:03:53 AM »
I think he sings great on Mandrake......................Kiske has been known to overdo it on the vibrato too.  Possibly the only thing that ever annoys me a bit with either of those guys.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline NotePad

« Reply #360 on: February 18, 2014, 01:16:46 AM »
But Tobi doesn't do it anymore. At least not on recent Edguy. Too bad. I wonder if this has to do with him be worried about future live performances, not stretching his voice on studio albums. The thing is, they don't play all their songs live. Like I heard earlier, they have never played Golden Dawn live. That's one of their best songs IMHO, and i think many would agree.

But I remember watching a video of Edguys recent Wacken show and being very impressed by his singing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:01 AM »
Tobi came a long way with his vocals in the early days.  You guys should check the original recording of Savage Poetry, his vocals are laughable.

Also, didn't know Tobi didn't write Symphony of Life.  IMO, it's by far the worst Avantasia song.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #362 on: February 18, 2014, 04:14:23 AM »
I think he sings great on Mandrake......................Kiske has been known to overdo it on the vibrato too.  Possibly the only thing that ever annoys me a bit with either of those guys.

Vain Glory was the worst offender. i'd like it more without the wobbly vocals   :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: February 18, 2014, 04:29:58 AM »
Yeah, after Opera he really knuckled down his vocals and became an incredible singer.

I'm also really intrigued to hear this new material too.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #364 on: February 18, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
I love the newer edguy, and think he's still a talented singer, but sometimes I'm disappointed that he doesn't show his full range very often anymore. His vocals are incredibly on Mandrake. Back then and up until Hellfire Club he was very very often compared to Kiske and Dickinson. Maybe he doesn't want to always be compared to them anymore, so he's trying to just do his own thing. I can understand that. There are times where he does sound like those guys and others, but i think that in most of those cases that was what he was going for. But he has a very unique voice, very different from most others in the genre.

My favorite 'power metal' (and just metal) bands are Edguy, Helloween, Masterplan...yea, those are the ones i listen to most. And a huge factor in what makes them so great and have such unique sounds is the fact that they all have vocalists with very unique voices. They're not the typical high-pitched singers that is most common with bands like these.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #365 on: February 19, 2014, 01:49:58 AM »
You should check out Sabaton, they have a really good and unique sounding singer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: February 20, 2014, 04:24:54 AM »
2Cd edition;

01. Sabre & Torch
02. Space Police
03. Defenders Of The Crown
04. Love Tyger
05. The Realms Of Baba Yaga
06. Rock Me Amadeus
07. Do Me Like A Caveman
08. Shadow Eaters
09. Alone In Myself
10. The Eternal Wayfarer

Bonus disc track listing:

01. England
02. Aychim In Hysteria
03. Space Police (progressive version)
04. Space Police (instrumental version)
05. Love Tyger (instrumental version)
06. Defenders Of The Crown (instrumental version)
07. Do Me Like A Caveman (instrumental version)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: February 20, 2014, 04:28:12 AM »
I was hoping for a Do Me Like A Caveman bonus video  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: February 20, 2014, 04:32:39 AM »
I was hoping for a Do Me Like A Caveman bonus video  ;D

I'm sure Tobi has plenty of those self made on his private PC.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #369 on: February 22, 2014, 12:52:16 AM »
Tobi is an obvious player. He must get so much pussy, for starters, he's a rock star!

Anyways i was reading an interview with him where he was talking about how difficult the vocals on the earlier albums were. I don't think he's gonna go back to singing those high notes anymore, which sucks, because he has a voice that I actually really like the sound of when he hits those notes. As opposed to other singer's like kiske, who i just find bland no matter what.

Do other singers have this much trouble hitting high notes like that, like Golden Dawn (the best fucking song ever)? He made it sound like it was really really hard, which makes me wonder how difficult it must be for someone like Dickinson or Halford, or Kiske. I'd love to see him play some of those songs live, and see if he can do it. Like Golden Dawn. I mean, it seems like Edguy never play those older songs that require more out of his voice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: February 22, 2014, 02:59:29 AM »
Tobi could never sing Golden Dawn live. 

Offline NotePad

« Reply #371 on: February 22, 2014, 01:41:30 PM »
So in other words, Tobias Sammet is a very technical singer and not good live? From all the live Edguy footage Iv watched, they never play songs that would require reaching higher notes. And this disappoints me. I like comparing him to Kiske and Dickinson becuase it's well known those are his main influences as a singer. Those guys could reach the high notes during live shows, and still can. Taking that into consideration, it doesn't say much about Tobi. I fucking love Mandrake. I really really wish they played some of the Mandrake songs live. I'm sure he could do it if he put the effort into it.

Hell, look at Andi Deris. These days he has a lot of trouble singing Kiske songs, but they still play them and he gives them a shot. Sure, sometimes they come of terribly; Deris often sounds like he's going into a falsetto to get through stuff like Eagle Fly Free and March of Time. But he tries. I think Tobi is more consistent and has a lot more range than Deris. I'm sure he can do it. At the very least, he should do it for the sake of the fans.

More and more I'm starting to see why people regard Michael Kiske so highly.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #372 on: February 22, 2014, 01:45:13 PM »
...So it's good to play songs that you sound terrible doing? I'd just as soon have Tobi only sing songs he's actually capable of singing.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #373 on: February 23, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »
But he is capable of singing them.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: February 23, 2014, 12:55:46 AM »
Well, about Deris and old-Helloween stuff, I wish they stop trying to perform especially hard old songs. I looked March on Time on youtube (Wacken performance) and one of comments under the vid got it right, saying "Andi almost exploded singing this". It was quite awful and I very much wanted to turn it off.
So, I hope Tobi plays only the songs he can sing properly. If he feels he's able to do Golden Dawn, sure, go for it, but if he doesn't, I'm fine with it too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: February 23, 2014, 03:03:59 AM »
So in other words, Tobias Sammet is a very technical singer and not good live?

Umm.......no, I never said that.  I said he couldn't sing Golden Dawn live.  I didn't say anything about any other songs.  Golden Dawn is probably the hardest Edguy song vocally, and even he did have a go at pulling it off, I just don't think he could get there.  Tobi has lost a little range as he has gotten older, but no one can fault someone for that, it's just what happens. 

I saw Edguy on the Hellfire Club tour and it is still one of the greatest live vocal performances I've ever seen, Tobi did not miss a beat, and from what I could tell was hitting every single note of every song.  He doesn't sing like that anymore, but as I said that's just age and wear and tear. 

Offline NotePad

« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2014, 12:30:07 AM »
I didn't mean thats what you said, it was just one possible opinion i put out there.

And yea, Helloween needs to stop playing those old songs like March of Time live. Some of them are just downright horrendous. They play an awful lot of kiske and keepers stuff live still. I want to see them play more new stuff.

And i just really love Golden Dawn and am disappointed a song as great as that has never been played live.
Really looking forward to the new album. I'm so curious about it, they're recent stuff has really been splitting the fans. Part of me feels that it may be more like Hellfire Club this time. But at the same time, I think it will be more in the vein of AoJ or RR because those albums have a lot of variety, and Edguy clearly don't want to stick to one 'sound' anymore.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #377 on: February 24, 2014, 02:38:47 AM »
Helloween will always play the Keepers stuff, it classic and their fan base demands it.
Same as any band you care to mention, they play songs like Smoke on The Water, Number of The Beast, Pull Me Under and the can name many more.
The bands admit they get sick of playing them, but it's what the majority of fans pay to hear in concert, the classics, the standards etc.

Why do you care so much if a song hasn't been played live?
It's no big deal, move one and enjoy something else  :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #378 on: February 24, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline NotePad

« Reply #379 on: February 25, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »
This discussion started to make me wonder about Kiske at present and Unisonic and all that. Watching video's of recent Unisonic performances of stuff like I want Out and March of Time, and man Kiske can still hit all the notes he used to. The man is quite talented I must say. Sounds so natural for him and just amazing compared to recent (and even older) Deris performances of those same songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2014, 02:04:58 PM »
One thing Kiske has going for him is that there are not tons of miles on his voice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »
One thing Kiske has going for him is that there are not tons of miles on his voice.

Yeah, just what I was going to post.  Since leaving Helloween he hadn't done any live performances until Unisonic, so yeah he's been lucky to preverse his voice.  Deris is different but he's been gruelling it out since PC69, so well over 20 years, with little break.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: February 25, 2014, 08:46:11 PM »
Technically, he was on few tours with Avantasia, but of course singing a few songs every evening can't be compared with performing full two-hours setlist.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #383 on: February 26, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »
I compare Deris and Kiske, but I realize theyre voices are completely different in nature. Totally different. Look at Helloween's recent Wacken performance, Deris was very very bad. They played almost half Kiske songs at that show. There are so many newer song I would love to see them play, where the performance would likely be much better. I'd love to see them play "The Saints", "Salvation", "The Tune", that's just for starters ;) Meet me in the Helloween thread!

But yes, Edguy! Hope the new one is like Hellfire Club, but I also love Rocket ride, and Mandrake. So I guess I really like all Edguy, Age of Joker was amazing too! Tobias Sammet knows what great music is. I'd like to see the rest of Edguy get more credit though... The guitar work on Hellfire Club was amazing, but those guys aren't talked about by anyone.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: February 27, 2014, 03:49:09 AM »
Technically, he was on few tours with Avantasia, but of course singing a few songs every evening can't be compared with performing full two-hours setlist.

I'm pretty sure that was after Unisonic wasn't it?