Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209294 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome - I like both but on the whole prefer Edguy to Avantasia.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Really? That's unconventional.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If everyone was conventional life would be boring .......and there'd be no need for the word "unconventional" ;D    It's a close run thing  -as I said I do like both -  but as a general rule (all things being equal) I find that any weaknesses in an album are magnified for me when there's different vocalists all over the place. 

There's certainly Avantasia albums I like better than Edguy albums etc...  but overall Edguy would have slightly higher ratings.  I also have much more history/time spent listening to Edguy so there's always the chance that might change over time.  Might stick Wicked Symphony on now.  I do love Ripper's Scales of Justice.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:13:06 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

I didn't even bother with the last Edguy album. From what i heard it was firm in my mind that Toby was saving all his best material for Avantasia.
That said I'll give the new one when it comes a chance.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So a new Edguy album is in the works.

Quote from: Avantasia
TOBIAS & EDGUY WORKING ON A NEW ALBUM

This news has been a long time coming. Secretly Tobias and Edguy have sneaked into the studio to record the follow up to their chartbreaking 2011 album "Age Of The Joker" (eg. no. 3 in the German album charts). The band has issued the following brief statement from the studio:

“We have focused on what makes this band unique and recorded what we believe is going to be the strongest & heaviest album Edguy has ever recorded. We didn't waste any time with updates or distractions. There is no doubt, that this album is going to be the album Edguy will be measured against in the future. And it makes us proud to say that as a band that has been existing for over 22 years now, fully aware that the best is yet to come.“

The album is in the mixing process right now and will be out in April. Details will be revealed soon.

https://www.edguy.net/

This is one of the biggest statements I've ever read from a band.  I do hope they can find a return to form.  The last two have been average at best.

Not sure if I'd rank Edguy or Avantasia higher, they are both pretty different.  Although when I discovered Mandrake, Theater, Opera, Poetry and Hellfire, it's hard to top that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't even bother with the last Edguy album. From what i heard it was firm in my mind that Toby was saving all his best material for Avantasia.

There was no need to check the last one at all, pretty crap.

Offline Lowdz

There was no need to check the last one at all, pretty crap.

I didn't mind it, but it wasn't a strong album, but better than the one before it that had one decent song on it. Mandrake, Hellfire and Rocket Ride are all class.

Offline gazinwales

Yup agreed 100%.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I actually prefer Tinnitus over Joker.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
NEW EDGUY ALBUM "SPACE POLICE" OUT ON APRIL 18TH

On April 18th Edguy will release their tenth studio album "SPACE POLICE - Defenders Of The Crown". Last weekend some journalists had the chance to listen to the album for the first time and the press reaction was amazing. There are several good reasons to believe that this album is going to be one of the strongest and heaviest Edguy albums of all time. More details are going to be revealed soon.

Cool.  Now, everyone get their ass over to Polls/Survivor, and vote in the Avantasia survivor.  I know there are more than 5 fans here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Again with the 'strongest Edguy album' claims.  They are talking this up and now I'm expecting something pretty special.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New Edguy - Space Police
« Reply #326 on: January 28, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »
There may in fact be "several good reasons" but the album title ain't one of them! Space Police? Really? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: February 03, 2014, 03:32:00 AM »
We recorded a pure epic heavy EDGUY album, our record label demanded a heavy metal cover artwork, so who are we to not obey?! It's got 1. Monster 2. Daredevil Action Hero 3. Fantasy Space Scape 4. Is Hand Painted 5. Fire (coming out of the…) 6. …Weapon

"Now, not giving a shit and getting away with it: THAT is metal!"

Regarding the musical direction of "Space Police - Defenders Of The Crown", EDGUY previously said: "We have focused on what makes this band unique and recorded what we believe is going to be the strongest and heaviest album EDGUY has ever recorded.

"We didn't waste any time with updates or distractions.

"There is no doubt that this album is going to be the album EDGUY will be measured against in the future. And it makes us proud to say that as a band that has been existing for over 22 years now, fully aware that the best is yet to come."

Hmm....I have a bit of a feeling that this could actually be a return to form for Edguy.  Fingers crossed.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #328 on: February 03, 2014, 12:43:51 PM »
For someone with 22 years in the business that's a pretty bold dumb statement to be making about your next release. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #329 on: February 03, 2014, 01:48:19 PM »
Doesn't every band ever say that their new album is their best?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: February 03, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »
Doesn't every band ever say that their new album is their best?

Yeah, definitely not the first time a musician has said that.  Tobi has always been a bit over the top.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #331 on: February 03, 2014, 10:07:25 PM »
But of course it's going to the the best Edguy album ever.
Tobi is hardly going to say say is average or not as good as the last one.
I take all this stuff as standard promo hype.

It has to be better than the previous two though, doesn't it  :xbones?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: February 03, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »
It has to be better than the previous two though, doesn't it  :xbones?

If it isn't, this band is seriously in trouble.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #333 on: February 10, 2014, 12:55:57 AM »
New to Edguy. I think Mandrake is a great Classic power metal style album. Feels very much like Helloween. Tobi sounds like Kiske at times.

Hellfire Club is a cool album. It's true that after this, they got less power metal-ish. But Rocket Ride is still really good. But i think with Age of Joker, they went a little too far in that Rock/pop direction; still good though, and feels like Edguy and has the big chorus's, but, you know...... This Sammet guy must be a big Bon Jovi fan. I guarantee. I bet if he were to reveal what new music he's been listening too the last few years, there would be a big lack of Metal. I hear no Helloween or Maiden influence anymore.

Has any other details about this new one, Space whatever, come out yet? What do you expect from it musically?

And i hope in the future Tobi Sammet focuses mainly on Edguy. Avantasia has no interest in me. I really like all Edguy, but i feel that judging by fans opinions, he may have missed a chance here. Hellfire Club is very popular, but then he went on to Avantasia shit, then went back to Edguy with a whole new style of music. I have a feeling Edguy could have been a bigger band then they are ;(

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: February 10, 2014, 07:37:02 AM »
I'm completely 100% the opposite - I would rather have him focus totally with Sascha and Avantasia. I don't know Edguy much, but most people around here say THAT has totally gone to shit
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #335 on: February 10, 2014, 12:32:42 PM »
I'm completely 100% the opposite - I would rather have him focus totally with Sascha and Avantasia. I don't know Edguy much, but most people around here say THAT has totally gone to shit

I think you'd like Hellfire Club and Rocket Ride Chad. Last couple have not been up to much compared to those.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: February 10, 2014, 12:36:33 PM »

I think you'd like Hellfire Club and Rocket Ride Chad. Last couple have not been up to much compared to those.

Oh yeah, I did give Hellfire Club a run when I got them (from Kade I think) in my first roulette.  Good album, just didn't buy it for some reason.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #337 on: February 10, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
I really think edguy is great. I really enjoy age of joker, people are too hard on them. I'm excited about the new one, I hope tho that it has more "classic" edguy stuff in it. Iv yet to hear the album TS everyone hates so much, what's so bad about it?

I realize most of the negativity about their new stuff is coming from  metal heads. I'd like too see a return to full power metal on the new one but can't find any info on it. Btw aren't edguys album sales at their best right now? I heard that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: February 15, 2014, 04:56:37 AM »
On April 18th Edguy will release their tenth studio album "SPACE POLICE - DEFENDERS OF THE CROWN", followed by a world tour to kick off in Hamburg on September 19th. A few journalists already had the chance to give the album a listen and confirmed it's most probably the heaviest album Edguy have ever recorded ("One thing is for certain: this is definitely one of the best, if not THE best album of them ever, ever, ever" - Rock It Magazine, #80).

The track list of the album reads as follows:

1. SABRE & TORCH
2. SPACE POLICE
3. DEFENDERS OF THE CROWN
4. LOVE TYGER
5. THE REALMS OF BABA YAGA
6. ROCK ME AMADEUS
7. DO ME LIKE A CAVEMAN
8. SHADOW EATERS
9. ALONE IN MYSELF
10. THE ETERNAL WAYFARER

The album is also going to be available as a 2CD edition with 7 bonus tracks. More details about tourdates to be revealed during the next weeks at www.edguy.net

Not really sure what to think of those.  Rock Me Amadeus better not be a cover of Falco!  :lolpalm:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: February 15, 2014, 07:06:01 AM »
These track names made me laugh so hard.  :lol :lol :lol

Wow, Tobi, you never disappoint.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2014, 07:40:38 AM »
It is indeed a cover of that song Chad. I think they'll do it justice  :biggrin: :biggrin: Could be good.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #341 on: February 15, 2014, 07:43:11 AM »
I'd never heard that Rock Me Amadeus song before.

I'm now wishing I'd kept it that way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #342 on: February 15, 2014, 10:24:38 AM »
It is indeed a cover of that song Chad. I think they'll do it justice  :biggrin: :biggrin: Could be good.

There is no way.
Why do bands do this?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: February 16, 2014, 02:49:24 AM »

How do you know?

Offline NotePad

« Reply #344 on: February 16, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
If Rock Me Amadeous is the song I'm thinking of, then doing a cover is a very Edguy thing to do. I predict it will fit right in with songs from Rocket Ride and AoJ.

Does anyone else love the song Rocket Ride? Iv been listening to it non-stop. Personally, I really love what Edguy has been doing ever since Rocket Ride. I love the earlier more power metal-ish stuff like Mandrake, Iv said it many times but it's a straight-up homage to Helloween. The newer stuff mostly isn't as fast or power metal-ish, and Tobi doesn't sing as high (really wish he would), but it still sounds very much like Edguy. Except maybe Pandora's Box- a great song, but definitely has a Bon Jovi sound to it.

I can't wait for Space Police! I'm so so curious what it'll be like. More like Rocket Ride? Age of Joker? Or maybe it'll sound more like Mandrake this time. Does ANYONE have ANY information on it other then the 2 Quotes fom Tobias Sammet?!?!?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: February 16, 2014, 07:21:27 PM »
I always had a soft spot for Rocket Ride.  I like the variety of the album yet it never seems all over the place.  I know people don't dig it that much, but I really like it.  Actually, it's probably the album I most frequently visit from Edguy.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #346 on: February 16, 2014, 10:41:31 PM »
Falco's original Rock Me Armadeus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVikZ8Oe_XA

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: February 17, 2014, 12:00:39 AM »
Bloody hell  ;D    it'll be interesting to see what he's done with that steaming pile.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline NotePad

« Reply #348 on: February 17, 2014, 01:14:17 AM »
Yes, that song. It's actually not too surprising that they would do a cover of that particular song. I wouldn't be surprised if iti becomes the definitive version of the song for me. But i guess that's pretty hard to do with a song like that.

Fuck I'v been listening to Edguy a lot lately. I'm really looking forward to their new CD. I'm very curious to see what they've come up with this time. I think they're probably the most interesting out of all these quote-unquote European Power Metal bands. They still sound like power metal to me, they're are elements even on the last album, of course much less then they used to be. But even if they're no longer consider power metal, they are still a metal band. When I listen to their new stuff, it honestly sounds like metal, not hard rock.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #349 on: February 17, 2014, 03:20:31 AM »
So you finally got bored of Helloween?
Not even one Helloween comment  ??? shocked  ???
So if you like Edguy, then Avantasia is your next move  :metal