Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209267 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Definitely one of the better finds DTF has introduced me to.  Can't say much more than I already did here. https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35218.msg1557097#msg1557097

Enjoy the ride Bosk. You've got 6 fabulous albums to explore.  Incredibly, I was spinning The Metal Opera today, as I think I'm gonna start an Avantasia Survivor when I get home this weekend.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I wish I had a few more minutes yesterday to chat up the guy at the music store when I bought it.  I got to the counter and he gave me the somewhat standard question, "Did you find what you were looking for?"  I handed him the CD to ring up, and he looked at it and said, "OH YEAH YOU DID!"  :lol

He then asked me if I needed a bag, or if it was just going straight into the CD player in the car.  I told him the latter, and he offered to open it for me.  I accepted, a bit off balance by the question since I have NEVER been asked that before.  The guy was a pro, and removed both the plastic wrap and the stupid tape strip in like 2 seconds flat. 

I...I think I have a crush on the kid at the CD store now.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Listening this morning, and...wow.  This album could sneak into my top 5 of the year.  It is top 10 for sure.  I wouldn't put it above the new Dream Theater, James Labrie, Trivium, or Queensryche.  But I'm trying to figure out where it ranks among Fates Warning and Stryper, and may just be better than both.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Did you get the digi edition with the bonus tracks, or just there standard edition?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Standard.  That was all they had, and I didn't know there was a digi with bonus tracks (if I had known, I might have held out for that).  Are the bonus tracks any good?  If so, maybe I'll d/l them from Amazon.

Offline Lowdz

Definitely one of the better finds DTF has introduced me to.  Can't say much more than I already did here. https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35218.msg1557097#msg1557097

Enjoy the ride Bosk. You've got 6 fabulous albums to explore.  Incredibly, I was spinning The Metal Opera today, as I think I'm gonna start an Avantasia Survivor when I get home this weekend.

I better look out for that. Better bone up on Babylon and Symphony as they are the two I don't play as much.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Standard.  That was all they had, and I didn't know there was a digi with bonus tracks (if I had known, I might have held out for that).  Are the bonus tracks any good?  If so, maybe I'll d/l them from Amazon.

One song is Tobi's version of the song Death is Just A Felling originally with Jon Oliva from Angel of Babylon which is cool.  The other song The Cross and You is an awesome stand alone rocking track, definitely worth your time.

Offline Lowdz

One song is Tobi's version of the song Death is Just A Felling originally with Jon Oliva from Angel of Babylon which is cool.  The other song The Cross and You is an awesome stand alone rocking track, definitely worth your time.

Tobi quite often has these great bonus tracks. With Edguy they are often better than the album songs. I love Spooks In The Attic, dodgy lyrics aside.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
This album is literally dripping with cheese.  I think I need to change this emoticon code.  :avantasia:

:biggrin:

But extreme cheesiness or not, I have got the chorus of The Watchmaker's Dream stuck in my head and it won't get out!  ...and I think I like it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Arjen's solo on that song is probably my fav part of the album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This album is literally dripping with cheese.  I think I need to change this emoticon code.  :avantasia:

:biggrin:

But extreme cheesiness or not, I have got the chorus of The Watchmaker's Dream stuck in my head and it won't get out!  ...and I think I like it.

Joe Lynn Turner sounds great, no?

I never knew that "zeroise" was a word.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah, I never got into any bands he has been in.  But he sounds great. 

Who is the singer that sounds a lot like Russell Allen?  I'm still not able to pick out the different voices (partly because the album is still new, but also because I haven't really listened to any of these singers before, believe it or not)

I just can't get over how awesome this album sounds in general.  It does a lot of things that often turn me off musically.  But for some reason, it works on this album.  Overall, it really just hits me right between the eyes with a big wad of awesome.  That's the best way I can describe it.  :lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:03:12 PM by bosk1 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Who is the singer that sounds a lot like Russell Allen?  I'm still not able to pick out the different voices (partly because the album is still new, but also because I haven't really listened to any of these singers before, believe it or not)

Hmm....I wouldn't say anyone on this album really sound like Russell, but I think you are either thinking Ronnie Atkins or Biff Byford.

From wiki

Joe Lynn Turner (ex-Rainbow, ex-Yngwie Malmsteen) (on tracks 1, 2, 6, 10)
Michael Kiske (ex-Helloween, Place Vendome, Unisonic) (on tracks 4, 6, 9)
Biff Byford (Saxon) (on tracks 3, 6, 10)
Ronnie Atkins (Pretty Maids) (on track 7)
Eric Martin (Mr. Big) (on track 8)
Bob Catley (Magnum) (on track 10)
Cloudy Yang (on track 5)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I need to just figure out who voices each character, and then follow along the lyric sheet, I guess. 

EDIT:  Probably Biff.  Of the two you mentioned, only Biff sings on track #10, which I am listening to right now.  One part is 2:28-3:30, especially right at the 3:00 mark.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:21:56 PM by bosk1 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
To be fair as I said before, this album is the weakest when it comes to showing off the other vocalists.  Most of them do a amazing job but they don't really stand out at all for some reason.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
The concept for Metal Opera never interested me as its the usual, fantasy-ish Rock Opera.

The Wicked Trilogy on the other hand....is an excellent concept.

I probably won't care but how does those albuns sound?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The concept for Metal Opera never interested me as its the usual, fantasy-ish Rock Opera.

The Wicked Trilogy on the other hand....is an excellent concept.

I probably won't care but how does those albuns sound?

wut?  All albums are pretty amazing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Conceptually, I think the The Metal Opera I & II are pretty weak, but the music's really solid. They are more power metal, though, whereas the Wicked Trilogy is more hard rock, modern metal type stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

Conceptually, I think the The Metal Opera I & II are pretty weak, but the music's really solid. They are more power metal, though, whereas the Wicked Trilogy is more hard rock, modern metal type stuff.

I figured cause of the concept as that's what  Powee Metal is...and the Wicked Trilogy being more variety, others don't enjoy them.  As is all later albums from bands tend to be treated now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Lowdz

To be fair as I said before, this album is the weakest when it comes to showing off the other vocalists.  Most of them do a amazing job but they don't really stand out at all for some reason.

I found alot of the voices pretty similar this time round. Songs were great though and that saved it.
Concept wise, I never really thought about it as the initial story seemed like a load of bollocks to me. Not followed the story since that first album.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Hell yeah! Couldn't wait for it, thank you for running.

Also, I must say The Mystery of Time is probably my third favourite Avantasia album, right behind The Scarecrow and The Metal Opera pt. 1.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:02:14 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I found alot of the voices pretty similar this time round. Songs were great though and that saved it.
Concept wise, I never really thought about it as the initial story seemed like a load of bollocks to me. Not followed the story since that first album.

Me too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

Am I the only one who likes Wasteland?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
I very much doubt it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

Its actually my fav. Of the wicked symphony, so its why I asked as I think its way way better than other songs, besides the Scarecrow album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Bosk, surely you recognize Joe Lynn Turner from those early 80's Rainbow albums.  He's the guy that sang Stone Cold.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Bosk, surely you recognize Joe Lynn Turner from those early 80's Rainbow albums.  He's the guy that sang Stone Cold.

And even better, Yngwie's Odyssey album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Am I the only one who likes Wasteland?

Why would you say that?

Its actually my fav. Of the wicked symphony, so its why I asked as I think its way way better than other songs, besides the Scarecrow album.

Doesn't mean people dislike it at all, but I will say it's been overshadowed by other songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

And even better, Yngwie's Odyssey album.

In fairness, for some reason, JLT doesn't really sound like JLT on this album for me.  I don't know why, but he not as disctinct as normal.

Also, bosk, since your new found love for this album, I've gone back to it and been spinning it, and loving it actually.  I thought it was quite weak when it first came out, but time has let this thing grow nicely.  It's really well done, and could be better than both Wicked Symphony and Angel of Babylon IMO.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Also, bosk, since your new found love for this album, I've gone back to it and been spinning it, and loving it actually.  I thought it was quite weak when it first came out, but time has let this thing grow nicely.  It's really well done, and could be better than both Wicked Symphony and Angel of Babylon IMO.

Let's not get too crazy here.  AoB I could agree on. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Let's not get too crazy here.  AoB I could agree on.

I said could.  But the way it's going, there's a chance.  Mystery of Time feels more focused and complete.  WS and AOB always felt very scattered and random to me and lacked direction and consistency a little.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wolf you are right about JLT sound a bit different. I agree. I love how he sounds here. He's really pushing it.

This is easily better than AOB and I'm definitely taking it over WS.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Nope.  Never cared for Rainbow or Yngwie.  Hence my statement that "I never got into any bands he has been in." 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
So a new Edguy album is in the works.

Quote from: Avantasia
TOBIAS & EDGUY WORKING ON A NEW ALBUM

This news has been a long time coming. Secretly Tobias and Edguy have sneaked into the studio to record the follow up to their chartbreaking 2011 album "Age Of The Joker" (eg. no. 3 in the German album charts). The band has issued the following brief statement from the studio:

“We have focused on what makes this band unique and recorded what we believe is going to be the strongest & heaviest album Edguy has ever recorded. We didn't waste any time with updates or distractions. There is no doubt, that this album is going to be the album Edguy will be measured against in the future. And it makes us proud to say that as a band that has been existing for over 22 years now, fully aware that the best is yet to come.“

The album is in the mixing process right now and will be out in April. Details will be revealed soon.

https://www.edguy.net/