Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209536 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lowdz

Yeah, I listened to it a few of times leading up to the concert, and it just got better with every listen.  It's definitely Top 5 at the moment.  Not sure it will get to #1, but it's definitely one of the best so far.

#1 is reserved for Dream Theater! :D

I'm not even a huge Tobi guy (vocally), but even he sounds fantastic. What a great songwriter.

I like his voice usually, but on Vain Glory Opera his vibrato ruins the album for me. Amongst the awesome vocalists in the Avantasia fold he isn't out of place.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
*tackles everyone*

SHE'S MINE DAMNIT! MINE!!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I wasn't aware there was an Avantasia thread  :D

Saw them live 2 weeks ago, OMG THEY PLAYED THE SEVEN ANGELS HOW AWESOME CAN THAT BE?!

Seriously, though. Tobias Sammet does know how to put a good show. I wasn't extremely fan of the new record until I heard the new song live, Savior in the Clockwork particularly stands out. I thought the song was a classic 10 minute metal meh-ish song until I heard the thing live. The whole band and cast of singers are so passionate on stage that you can't help but to be drawn into that. Also, they recorded the Mexico City show for a live CD release, so it was said by Sammet halfway through the show.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Awesome! What was the whole setlist at the show you went to, if you remember?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
There really should be an Amanda Somerville Thread.

Speaking of Avantasia, I tried listening to Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2, and although I couldn't get through the whole thing, I reminded me of Avantasia. It's crazy how influential that album is, but sad that the originater of Power Metal sounds dirivitive.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Get Angel Of Babylon. It's not as good as Wicked Symphony or Scarecrow, but it's got it's fair share of awesome moments.

To TAC... ^this. And since its a 3-part saga, you kinda have to have it. Wolfking will disagree, but The Metal Opera can wait. It's not that it's bad, but it's like the chicks that finish 5th and 6th in a Miss Universe contest.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
I will admit, The Metal Opera has really grown on me since I first heard it (I really didn't like it all, then.), especially the songs with David DeFeis. But they are still (in my opinion) a step below the Wicked Trilogy.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Awesome! What was the whole setlist at the show you went to, if you remember?
Yeah, this is it:
1. Spectres
2. The Watchmaker's Dream
3. The Story Ain't Over
4. The Great Mystery
5. Prelude
6. Reach Out for the Light
7. Breaking Away
8. Scales of Justice
9. What's Left of Me
10. Promised Land
11. The Scarecrow
12. Shelter from the Rain
13. In Quest For
14. The Wicked Symphony
15. Lost in Space
16. Savior in the Clockwork
17. Stargazers
18. Twisted Mind
19. Dying for an Angel
Encore:
20. Farewell
21. Avantasia
22. The Seven Angels
23. Sign of the Cross

Friggin' long and amazing show. 3 hours 15 minutes, at least. This is going for a live CD, which is totally amazing.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
:omg:

I would cut off several limbs for that setlist. I wish they'd play What Kind Of Love, though. Amanda's amazing on that one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Get Angel Of Babylon. It's not as good as Wicked Symphony or Scarecrow, but it's got it's fair share of awesome moments.

To TAC... ^this. And since its a 3-part saga, you kinda have to have it. Wolfking will disagree, but The Metal Opera can wait. It's not that it's bad, but it's like the chicks that finish 5th and 6th in a Miss Universe contest.

I actually have it, as well as The Metal Opera. I'm going to be digging through them. For the most part, Avantasia has been one and dones for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That setlist is incredible.

And yes, Metal Opera part 1 all the way.  Ranking.

Metal Opera Part 1
Metal Opera Part 2
Scarecrow
Wicked Symphony
Mystery of Time
Angel of Babylon
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Pretty close to being the exact opposite of mine. :lol

Still, they're all really excellent albums.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I'm extremely fond of the Metal Opera albums because they bring a lot of memories from my middle school days, in which I was completely obsessed with this band. The newer albums (Except Angel of Babylon) rank higher nowadays, but The Seven Angels is still my favorite Avantasia song.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lowdz

Scarecrow

Metal Opera

Mystery Of Time- might go higher in time

Wicked Symphony

Metal Opera II

Angel Of Babylon

And I've got a soft spot for David Defeiss. Quite like some Virgin Steele, especially the House Of Atreus albums- if only they had ManOwaR's budget.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Daved was my fav part of Metal Opera 2.  Love his vocals and delivery.  I have a couple of Virgin Steele albums, they are pretty good, but I need to check their earlier stuff.

Offline Lowdz

Daved was my fav part of Metal Opera 2.  Love his vocals and delivery.  I have a couple of Virgin Steele albums, they are pretty good, but I need to check their earlier stuff.

The albums I've heard were let down by the production. Some were just poor. A bit of a Whitesnake vibe at times.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The production has seemed to improve over time.

So I ran through AOB last night.
Musically it is excellent.

First off, Jorn Lande is an incredible vocalist. And I mean that.
But I just don't connect with him. I feel the same about Russ Allen.
Getting out the flame suit here, but this album has too much Jorn.
If they took 2 or 3 songs from Jorn and gave them to Kiske, I would be a lot happier.

Also, Death is Just A Feeling is a great song, but what a giant piece of vocal suck ass. It's well known that I am not a Jon Oliva fan, but this is terrible.
This song was made for Alice Cooper. Not for someone trying horribly to sound like Alice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
I love Jorn, I wish there was more of him. :lol

And Death Is Just A Feeling is one of my favorite songs, so.... I suppose our tastes are very different. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm with the ninja. I love Jorn's voice, so I'm ok with lots of him. AoB is the weakest of the trilogy though, for sure. Despite a couple of standouts, it's pretty mediocre (relative to the other two)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have officially "cracked the code" for Avantasia on the trip to Disney.

More when I return.

The Metal Opera II.  :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Glad you are finally coming around, and saw/listened the way you always should have.  Just gonna leave these here though:

Also, If Tobias stuck to writing and not singing, I'd like Avantasia a LOT more!

Sounds like he's trying to be both Michael Kiske AND Jon Bon Jovi at the same time!

Nice! Avantasia with less Tobi and MORE KISKE! :tup :tup :tup

Seriously, for me, Vocally Tobi is easily the weak link in Avantasia and has really stopped me from getting into them.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
There really should be an Amanda Somerville Thread.

Speaking of Avantasia, I tried listening to Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2, and although I couldn't get through the whole thing, I reminded me of Avantasia. It's crazy how influential that album is, but sad that the originater of Power Metal sounds dirivitive.

If you find one of the albums that defined power metal and a band that Sammnet has spent a large part of his career emulating derivative of the work that came 15 plus years after it came out...you're doing it wrong.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Well, shoot.  New band discovered; more money out the door.  :emptypockets:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
YES! Avantasia is awesome. Which albums have you heard? Also, I must thank you for giving me a new emote. I had become concerned that the well was drying up, so to speak.

:emptypockets:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Thanks to the Metal Voice 2013 top 10 album list, I'm listening to the new one.  I'm about halfway through.  So far, Black Orchid was the song that tipped the scale for me. 

And don't worry about new emoticons.  I've added a few recently.  In fact, I just added another new one a few minutes ago.  ...not that anyone will find it before it is revealed (except the person who helped me create it).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Ah, Mystery Of Time is very good, but I'd say the three preceding it (The Scarecrow, The Wicked Symphony and The Angel of Babylon) are all better.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Holy crap solo and background riff in Savior In The Clockwork!  :panicattack: :2metal:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Ah, Mystery Of Time is very good, but I'd say the three preceding it (The Scarecrow, The Wicked Symphony and The Angel of Babylon) are all better.   

Offline Lowdz

Thanks to the Metal Voice 2013 top 10 album list, I'm listening to the new one.  I'm about halfway through.  So far, Black Orchid was the song that tipped the scale for me. 

And don't worry about new emoticons.  I've added a few recently.  In fact, I just added another new one a few minutes ago.  ...not that anyone will find it before it is revealed (except the person who helped me create it).

We have been trying to tell you for long enough  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Who has?  I don't remember anyone ever mentioning this band to me.

Offline Lowdz

Well maybe not directly depending on the threads you read (or don't). Kade and Chad have certainly fought their corner. But there again, you only just found Maiden...  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Holy crap solo and background riff in Savior In The Clockwork!  :panicattack: :2metal:

Bosk, Savior In The Clockwork my Song Of The Year!!

Like you, I also had my Avantasia epiphany with this album. I actually owned 3 of their albums before this came out, and while I thought they were OK, I just never "got" them. I'm also generally not a fan of the multi vocalist thing.

And while I liked early Edguy very much, They really lost me along the way. I'm not a huge fan of Toby's voice, as I feel he tries to be both Michael Kiske AND Jon Bon Jovi all at once, while not being either. But his vocals really stand out on Mystery Of Time.

Being a huge Kiske fan, I'm obviously drawn to him, but Biff Byford is perfectly cast, and the dusting off of old Joe Lynn Turner was a brilliant move, as he really delivers here.

Because of this album, this might be the first year where a Dream Theater released album is not my Album Of The Year.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Well maybe not directly depending on the threads you read (or don't). Kade and Chad have certainly fought their corner. But there again, you only just found Maiden...  :biggrin:

Yeah man.  I've actually been following this band since the first album.  I've followed Edguy too from around Theater of Slavation, so I know both bands well.  I've pretty much eaten up every single album.  Cause I've been with Tobi from the start of Avantasia, I still think the first album is the best, but all albums are pretty much on the same high quality level.  Mystery of Time was interesting for me.  I enjoyed it, but it was the only Avantasia album that really needed time for it to grow on me.  I think the guest musicians could have been utilised better, but I still go back to it now and really, it's a solid piece to be added to the discography.  I do miss Henjo and am not really a fan of Sascha too, but people like him so whatever, I'm cool.