Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 211094 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #2205 on: August 09, 2022, 05:11:49 PM »
Unfortunately I am not feeling the songs released thus far at all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2206 on: August 10, 2022, 08:01:12 AM »

I find them all good, but they aren't giving me the impression this album is going to be an album of the year contender.  None of them feel special to me.  Maybe I just need to listen more, but I don't want to wear the singles thin before the album release.  So I think I'm just lowing my own expectations a bit. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2207 on: August 10, 2022, 09:53:10 AM »

I find them all good, but they aren't giving me the impression this album is going to be an album of the year contender.  None of them feel special to me.  Maybe I just need to listen more, but I don't want to wear the singles thin before the album release.  So I think I'm just lowing my own expectations a bit.

Yeah, I agree with you - I like the songs, but they're just.... new Avantasia songs. Which is good, obviously, but 9 or 10 or whatever albums they are in.... they really need to be amazing to not just leave you the feeling of "yeah, just another Avantasia song".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Deathless

« Reply #2208 on: September 23, 2022, 11:48:36 AM »
Another new track was debuted today, "The Inmost Light" (featuring Michael Kiske) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnID23e0TSY

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2209 on: September 23, 2022, 12:47:07 PM »
Sadly, I have to copy and paste my comment. It's another Avantasia song with Michael Kiske, which is good because Avantasia is awesome, but on the other hand I miss the "woah that's why I fell in love with this band!!!" factor. Guess I'll forget about these songs until the album will be out and I can appreciate the entire work of art as a whole.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2210 on: September 23, 2022, 01:32:47 PM »
KISKE!!!!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2211 on: September 23, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »
Sadly, I have to copy and paste my comment. It's another Avantasia song with Michael Kiske, which is good because Avantasia is awesome, but on the other hand I miss the "woah that's why I fell in love with this band!!!" factor. Guess I'll forget about these songs until the album will be out and I can appreciate the entire work of art as a whole.

So another Wasteland, Shelter to The Rain, Ghostlights...March of Time.  :biggrin:

I typed that before I listened to it and I can't believe I was right.

It's funny though because I really love those songs and enjoy how Kiske fits those styles of songs, even if they sound similar, I still enjoy the hell out of the songs... This new song included.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2212 on: September 23, 2022, 05:37:09 PM »
That song was okay, even I it was very familiar.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2213 on: September 23, 2022, 05:42:01 PM »
I'm not the least bit excited about this album. None of the songs are anything special. Neither is this one really, but I've listened to Kiske sing a lot worse and loved it anyway because...it's him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2214 on: September 23, 2022, 05:56:14 PM »
I'm not the least bit excited about this album. None of the songs are anything special. Neither is this one really, but I've listened to Kiske sing a lot worse and loved it anyway because...it's him.

I hated the last one and this is shaping up more rehashed stuff.  I'll check it but not looking forward to it at all.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2215 on: September 29, 2022, 01:03:21 PM »
Yeah, I’m not enjoying this album at all so far. That song is everything I hate about power metal in one song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st
« Reply #2216 on: September 29, 2022, 04:44:21 PM »
I changed the thread title.  Let's see if that does anything......

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2217 on: September 29, 2022, 06:13:41 PM »

I hated the last one and this is shaping up more rehashed stuff.  I'll check it but not looking forward to it at all.

I actually really liked Moonglow. What made you hate it, compared to the rest...?

BTW, agreed that the singles for the new one so far did very, very little for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: September 29, 2022, 06:37:56 PM »

I actually really liked Moonglow. What made you hate it, compared to the rest...?

BTW, agreed that the singles for the new one so far did very, very little for me.

Can't put my finger on it.  Just felt boring and personally did nothing for me.  Maybe I'm just growing out of Avantasia as the new songs are okay but I haven't felt any need to revisit them.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2219 on: September 29, 2022, 08:39:52 PM »
This YouTube review of the album is in German with subtitles. The review wraps up with, “It's not a bad album. It has a terrific production, the cover and the graphic art are sublime. I like some songs very much, but others not, with other two that I totally dislike (Paper Plane and Arabesque).”

https://youtu.be/JHd0C9rorEA

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2220 on: September 29, 2022, 08:42:38 PM »
This YouTube review of the album is in German with subtitles. The review wraps up with, “It's not a bad album. It has a terrific production, the cover and the graphic art are sublime. I like some songs very much, but others not, with other two that I totally dislike (Paper Plane and Arabesque).”

I imagine going to the record store and picking this up and seeing a giant red sticker on the album..."It's not a bad album"  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: September 29, 2022, 08:56:19 PM »
 :lol Hopefully it says the sticker is removable too.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2222 on: September 30, 2022, 01:39:29 AM »

I don't take much from reviews, it's one person's opinion and nothing more.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: September 30, 2022, 02:31:20 AM »
I don't care for reviews either, but based on the released songs "it's not a bad album" seems plausible. Feels like it's going to be typical avantasia with the typical guests doing their same typical style songs for those guests. It won't be great and it wont be bad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2224 on: September 30, 2022, 04:32:29 AM »
Unfortunately, what I think it is for me is that the whole gimmick of the whole concept of Avantasia has run its course.

Maybe a whole new batch of singers would give it a shot in the arm.  Oh, and replacing Sascha with Henjo haha.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2225 on: September 30, 2022, 09:03:37 AM »
Anyone know what tracks Tate performs on? Been asking Tobi on FB, but he's not answering...

I'm tempted to cancel my preorder...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2226 on: September 30, 2022, 09:24:00 AM »
Unfortunately, what I think it is for me is that the whole gimmick of the whole concept of Avantasia has run its course.

Maybe a whole new batch of singers would give it a shot in the arm.  Oh, and replacing Sascha with Henjo haha.

I really liked the first single with Ralph Scheepers! I think it was a stellar song, and Scheepers is a fresh face to Avantasia so that also helped. I also liked the title track with Bob Catley. The other two did nothing for me!

A completely fresh roster of singers would be awesome. Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius would be a great addition. And Sascha is absolutely fine IMO. :biggrin:

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2227 on: October 18, 2022, 07:54:55 PM »
I have a chat with Tobias this Thursday! Your questions would be highly appreciated guys, except for "when will Edguy get back together?"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2228 on: October 19, 2022, 01:07:34 AM »
I have a chat with Tobias this Thursday! Your questions would be highly appreciated guys, except for "when will Edguy get back together?"

It's just you who realizes that it's not a good question, or you got actually warned to not talk about that?  :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 04:05:08 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2229 on: October 19, 2022, 04:03:23 AM »

It's just who who realizes that is not a good question, or you got actually warned to not talk about that?  :D

I think everyone asks him that, so I want to avoid it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: October 19, 2022, 04:14:33 AM »

It's just you who realizes that it's not a good question, or you got actually warned to not talk about that?  :D

That's the only thing I would want to ask him but I agree it's not a smart question.  I don't blame Rodrigo for avoiding it, I would too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: October 19, 2022, 10:06:51 AM »
I don't know how to phrase it nicely, but I'd love to know why he's got himself stuck using the same guest vocalists to do the same style songs each album.  But a more neutral question might be how do you decide on your guest singers?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2232 on: October 19, 2022, 10:22:15 AM »
To piggy back off of that, I'm sure he won't answer or even if it should be asked, but I'd love to know about the fees that the singers are paid and how that all works.
Like how much does Kiske charge to sing on a song.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2233 on: October 19, 2022, 11:36:11 AM »
To piggy back off of that, I'm sure he won't answer or even if it should be asked, but I'd love to know about the fees that the singers are paid and how that all works.

As we say in the military that is a 'need to know' and as fans we don't really need to know who gets paid what.
I wouldn't be asking that sort of question as an interviewer nor would I expect an answer from the interviewee.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2234 on: October 19, 2022, 11:53:20 AM »
Maybe one could ask how hard (or how easy) it is to get certain singers to sing on his records. That way he doesn't have to talk about money.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2235 on: October 19, 2022, 11:54:43 AM »

As we say in the military that is a 'need to know' and as fans we don't really need to know who gets paid what.
I wouldn't be asking that sort of question as an interviewer nor would I expect an answer from the interviewee.

Yes, and I acknowledged that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: October 19, 2022, 03:25:16 PM »
Ask him to kick Sascha out and give me a gig!  ;D  Or maybe piss him off and get Henjo back.

.........I don't actually expect you to ask that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2237 on: October 19, 2022, 03:28:48 PM »
I don't know how to phrase it nicely, but I'd love to know why he's got himself stuck using the same guest vocalists to do the same style songs each album.  But a more neutral question might be how do you decide on your guest singers?

It's a valid thought if you phrase it right.  How about;

"Avantasia has become a well oiled machine and seems to be firing on all cylinders with some of the guest vocalists you have almost cementing their roles and place within the band.  Have you had any thought on doing an album with all fresh new vocalists under the Avantasia name, or are guys like Kiske, Catley and Tate too much in the blood now of the Avantasia name"

Something like that but maybe not so wordy?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: October 19, 2022, 04:57:41 PM »
Yeah that's phrased much better and honestly I feel like it's a valid question.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2239 on: October 19, 2022, 05:23:30 PM »
Yes it is.