Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 210645 times)

Online NoseofNicko

I genuinely don't remember anything about it.

Maybe I have a bad memory but I don’t remember anything about 95% of the albums I’ve only listened to once.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
That's probably true for me too, but only if I've listened to it just once. If I like an album I'm going to listen to it more than once, which Mindcrime apparently never compelled me to do.

I don't know, after all this discussion maybe I'll give it another listen soon and then report back with my thoughts.

Offline 425

That's all cool and I totally respect what you are saying but Mystery of Time and Mindcrime are pretty much from the same genre. Just to clarify my post when I called Mindcrime one of the greatest albums of all time, I did mean in the genre of metal/hard rock music not all of music as I don't think it would be universally accepted to be the case. It isn't like trying to compare The Beatles Revolver album against Mindcrime etc..Where I am coming from is that if you love Avantasia, and I know that you also love Iron Maiden then I have a hard time understanding how you couldn't love Mindcrime.

My situation is probably different to yours, in that I heard Mindcrime pretty much on release day in 1988 and it basically changed my life. I appreciate that you aren't coming at Mindcrime in the same way, however I just feel that Mindcrime has a far superior depth of story, great lyrics, emotional impact, awesome vocals, guitar playing etc that The Mystery of Time doesn't have.

While they're in the same genre, generally speaking, I don't think they are all that similar stylistically. There's a different sound to those two albums. I also think Queensr˙che has a clearly different sound from Iron Maiden. And I just like Avantasia and Iron Maiden's sounds a lot better than Queensr˙che's.

The features you list for why you like Mindcrime better are totally valid reasons, but most of them are personal. For my own part, I don't love Tate's voice, even at his best. I think he's a talented singer, but the timbre of his voice isn't ever going to be my favorite. He might be more talented than, say, Tobias, but I'd rather listen to Tobias. And I'm not a big fan of the Mindcrime story. I don't tend to enjoy stories that focus on subjects like crime and insanity. So the story actually detracts from my enjoyment of the album.

It's hard for me to say more about the difference between these two albums without using classifications that make sense to me but may not make so much sense to others, but I'll give it a shot: I have a definite classification of two types of music that I call "warm" and "cold." I can't say exactly what makes something warm or cold, but I know it when I hear it. And, all things being equal, I vastly prefer warm music. Avantasia and Iron Maiden are both definitely warm. Queensr˙che is cold. So even though all three are metal with prog leanings, I consider them to have very different sounds.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Realm

Great response 425, all good. Looking forward to you joining in the Maiden top 75 countdown (hope you are), will be lots to discuss there I'm sure.

Offline 425

Thanks! I'll be involved in the Maiden thread for sure. I did my own personal Maiden countdown a couple of years ago, so I already have some sense of what my list looked like pre-Senjutsu.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, that's an odd title (thanks for sharing).  Not sure how I feel about it. But no release date yet or track listing?

As far as I can't tell, that is all the info so far.

On October 21st AVANTASIA’s ninth studio album »A Paranormal Evening with the Moonflower Society« will be released worldwide via Nuclear Blast Records.
The album's enchanting artwork has been painted by Swedish illustrator luminary Alexander Jansson.
»A Paranormal Evening with the Moonflower Society« is going to present eleven magical and powerful songs that feature numerous prestigious guest stars. The album’s track list reads as follows:
1. Welcome to the Shadows
2. The Wicked Rule the Night
3. Kill the Pain Away
4. The Inmost Light
5. Misplaced among the Angels
6. I Tame the Storm
7. Paper Plane
8. The Moonflower Society
9. Rhyme and Reason
10. Scars
11. Arabesque
Tobias Sammet: »From the first song ideas back in 2018 / 2019 to the production, orchestration, keyboards, arrangements, details, I have been personally involved so deeply in every little aspect and detail of this album, that you can’t get an album any more personal or closer to my vision than this one. I had the time, nothing else to do in the past two and a half years, it was a slow movement life with music and my Mysteryhausen studio serving as a portal to another world, full of music and quirky encounters with my muses, that kept me sane and hopeful. I am super proud of the album, some of my best songs, some of my most emotional and extreme vocal performances, some of the strongest guest performances ever. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome and when you’ll hear it, you will know why!«
The album was produced by Tobias with Avantasia guitarist Sascha Paeth, who’s also responsible for the powerful and timeless mix of the album.
Pre-Order is going to start soon, limited editions with goodies and autographs will be available at the offical band merchandise store. We’ll keep you posted!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Excited for this one. I hope a couple of the tunes Tate is on that his voice has continued the improvement we've seen live the past year. The guy has really had a bit of a vocal renaissance. No, it's not 1985 Geoff Tate, but it's nice to see him confidently going up there and hitting some iconic highs. Gives the songs the vocal dynamics they need.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Do we know who the vocal guests are yet?

Am I the only on that looks at this ridiculously long title and thinks that it is Jumptheshark-esque?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know about jumping the shark, but the title is a but ridiculous IMO

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Cool cover though, quite Tim Burton in style.

Offline The Realm

The title is ridiculous but I’m still looking forward to the album.

Offline MirrorMask

Just pretend it's called simply "The Moonflower Society", the rest is just a prefix  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone expecting something *not* ostentatious or pompous from Tobi is just setting themselves up for disappointment. Wait until we hear the lyrics for the self titled track!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Polarbear

Just pretend it's called simply "The Moonflower Society", the rest is just a prefix  ;D

This is what I'll be calling this album from now on..

If the album is quality, then I can look past the idiotic album title. First single was pretty great.

Looking at the song titles, "Misplaced Among the Angels" would have been a badass album title!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not bad.  I don't mind the 80's AOR vibes, and Catley still sounding great.  Jeez I've heard that chorus melody before though somewhere

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Good song

At what point does "featuring Bob Catley" no longer become necessary and the likes of him Jorn and Eric just become part of the band.  They are featured on most albums now and always tour with the band.   :lol just a thought

Offline Polarbear

Not bad.  I don't mind the 80's AOR vibes, and Catley still sounding great.  Jeez I've heard that chorus melody before though somewhere

What Wolf said!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
New song

https://youtu.be/pLZ_za4a-88

Dig it. A lot of passion in that tune. Very epic. Yeah, 80s AOR vibes, but that's okay. Agreed on on the chorus melody.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline 425

Someone on Reddit has posted a link to a store posting where the guests are listed. Can't confirm the accuracy of this because I haven't heard of the site before, so take it with a grain of salt, but here it is: https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstore/recordstore/A-Paranormal-Evening-With-The-Moonflower-Society-Limited-Edition-Mediabook-CD/7HWB0000000

1   Welcome To The Shadows   
2   The Wicked Rule The Night (feat Ralph Scheepers)   
3   Kill The Pain Away (feat Floor Jansen)   
4   The Inmost Light (feat Michael Kiske)   
5   Misplaced Among The Angels (feat Floor Jansen)   
6   I Tame The Storm (fear Jorn Lande)   
7   Paper Plane (feat Ronnie Atkins)   
8   The Moonflower Society (feat Bob Catley)   
9   Rhyme And Reason (feat Eric Martin)   
10   Scars (feat Geoff Tate)   
11   Arabesque (feat Michael Kiske, Jorn Lande)   
12   Paper Plane – Tobias’ Demo Version

If this is accurate, this seems like a very solid list. It'll be interesting to hear Floor sing Avantasia.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New song

https://youtu.be/pLZ_za4a-88

Dig it. A lot of passion in that tune. Very epic. Yeah, 80s AOR vibes, but that's okay. Agreed on on the chorus melody.

What Wolf said!

I'd have to listen but thinking Nightwish.....Amaranth?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
It'll be interesting to hear Floor sing Avantasia.

Color me excited!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's definitely a decent tune.

Also, these are tremendous projects by Tobi.

But I'm as interested in Avantasia mostly because of who the vocalists are.

Bob Catley is fine, but doesn't move the needle for me. Sheepers actually moves the needle backwards, and I could give a fuck about Eric Martin, honestly. I'd be interested in the Kiske tune, but he only has one, and shares another with Jawn.
I'm not familiar with Floor, but I'm curious to hear her, that's for sure.

I thought Tater was on this?..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

It's definitely a decent tune.

Also, these are tremendous projects by Tobi.

But I'm as interested in Avantasia mostly because of who the vocalists are.

Bob Catley is fine, but doesn't move the needle for me. Sheepers actually moves the needle backwards, and I could give a fuck about Eric Martin, honestly. I'd be interested in the Kiske tune, but he only has one, and shares another with Jawn.
I'm not familiar with Floor, but I'm curious to hear her, that's for sure.

I thought Tater was on this?..

425's song list has Tate on a song? Is this wrong?

1   Welcome To The Shadows   
2   The Wicked Rule The Night (feat Ralph Scheepers)   
3   Kill The Pain Away (feat Floor Jansen)   
4   The Inmost Light (feat Michael Kiske)
5   Misplaced Among The Angels (feat Floor Jansen)   
6   I Tame The Storm (fear Jorn Lande)   
7   Paper Plane (feat Ronnie Atkins)   
8   The Moonflower Society (feat Bob Catley)   
9   Rhyme And Reason (feat Eric Martin)   
10   Scars (feat Geoff Tate)   
11   Arabesque (feat Michael Kiske, Jorn Lande)
12   Paper Plane – Tobias’ Demo Version

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh shit I missed that. Thank you!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Solid list.  I could do without Eric Martin.  He offers nothing IMO.

Offline Polarbear

Yeah, solid lineup.

Two songs for Floor Jensen, which is awesome! Even Ronnie Atkins contributed, even though he is terminally ill. Going to be sad hearing he's song. :-\

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, solid lineup.

Two songs for Floor Jensen, which is awesome! Even Ronnie Atkins contributed, even though he is terminally ill. Going to be sad hearing he's song. :-\

His last two solo albums were really good, and had a few tear-jerkers on them.

Offline ErHaO

It seems this time around for the most part he has settled for a core crew of people he has worked with often. They are all good, so no complaints from me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
It seems this time around for the most part he has settled for a core crew of people he has worked with often. They are all good, so no complaints from me.

I dont want to sound like I'm complaining, but the lack of new guests is a bit upsetting. Floor is a great get so I'm excited for that, but using the same crew just makes me think these guys are just apart of the band at this point. I'm sure it'll be good.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #2202 on: August 09, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »

I dont want to sound like I'm complaining, but the lack of new guests is a bit upsetting. Floor is a great get so I'm excited for that, but using the same crew just makes me think these guys are just apart of the band at this point. I'm sure it'll be good.

I don't mind because they're the only ones who actually tour with him and sing the songs. Better to have songs sung with the actual people who will tour than not having the recorded vocalists sing the song they were picked to sing.

This is how Arjen based his Ayreon Universe Setlist by utilizing the singers strengths to see which songs they could do from other vocalists. Tommy was nervous because he had to sing Bruce Dickinson's parts and it's nerve wracking when people will compare you to the vocalist on the album, and in this case it was a legend like Bruce.

I find it funny though how you have Tobias utilizing his go to touring vocalists for this album, yet on the other hand Star One waa utilizing different vocalists and some didn't prefer Arjen using too many vocalists and not the "main crew".

I personally don't care because I enjoy these vocalists. I would like to hear more Herbie though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2203 on: August 09, 2022, 11:35:40 AM »
TOBIAS SAMMET'S AVANTASIA - Misplaced Among The Angels (feat. Floor Jansen) (OFFICIAL LYRIC VIDEO)

Nice song! although anyone could have sang Floor's part, she doesn't do anything out of the ordinary or that shows her Floorsome awesomeness, but the song is good.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2204 on: August 09, 2022, 04:04:55 PM »
Pretty good, straight ahead song. I like it.

The videos that have been released definitely have that Tim Burton feel to them, the new one more so. I prefer them without the lyrics though. When I’m reading them it makes me realise how wacky some of them actually are!  :lol

Better off not knowing, I think..