Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 211599 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #2100 on: February 24, 2022, 03:07:59 PM »
Tobi checks in...

https://bravewords.com/news/tobias-sammet-says-new-avantasia-album-is-one-of-my-strongest-albums-ever

I'd love it if someone was actually honest and said "it's not going to go down as my greatest ever album, but this is is still gonna be awesome".  Like fuck... does anyone ever say their latest release isn't "one of my best ever"?

Is it wise for a business to downplay their own product?

Music is a product and you need to sell it. This is how you market things by saying it's the best and hyping the hell out of it.

Also, Musicians have no way of knowing if an album will become their best selling album of all time. There are times when the new album ends up becoming something spectacular where it does become their best of all time. But these take time as well to come to fruition as being considered the best (insert band name) album.

Errr.....Avantasia are not the type of band that will dramatically sell more albums by the creator coming out and saying it's the best thing ever.  That's just ridiculous, they aren't some manufactured pop outfit for the masses.

Maybe not sell more, but potentially sell less by not saying it.

I do not care for when artists say their latest is the greatest, but it's hard for me to say they shouldn't say it.  I just accept it as promotion/marketing.

But I think as metal fans we're smart enough that we do know it's marketing and nothing more than that.  Avantasia has such a niche fan base I don't see how not saying would make them sell less albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2101 on: February 24, 2022, 03:12:42 PM »
Well, just look at Melphina's example.

I think a lot of people understand this, but a lot of people also don't.  Avantasia are fairly popular though, they definitely have fans that aren't music nerds like us.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2102 on: February 24, 2022, 03:21:50 PM »
Fair enough.  I'll live with that.  I wouldn't expect artists to not say it but can see where Chad was coming from. 

I think he just threw that out as simple thinking aloud type of random thought, not expecting it to get fully analysed.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2103 on: February 24, 2022, 03:30:41 PM »
Fair enough.  I'll live with that.  I wouldn't expect artists to not say it but can see where Chad was coming from. 

I think he just threw that out as simple thinking aloud type of random thought, not expecting it to get fully analysed.  :lol

But this is DTF! That's what we do. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2104 on: February 24, 2022, 03:32:22 PM »

But this is DTF! That's what we do. :lol

And we just fucking did!  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2105 on: February 25, 2022, 04:15:00 AM »

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2106 on: February 25, 2022, 09:32:57 AM »
Yup, we analyze and I agree with Chad too, I just try not to care too much but clearly I do!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

New Avantasia single tonight (typed for when the link to this image gets broke).

The Wicked Rule the Night - with Ralf Scheepers.

:2metal:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Definitely looking forward to the album and new song tomorrow  :metal

Offline Polarbear

Looking forward to this! :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Bam!  This came out of nowhere, good stuff.  Can't wait. Ralf!  :metal

Offline Melphina

Holy shit this song goes hard. Mysteria vibes. Tobi just doesn't run out of ideas. Sounds like Avantasia, but still sounds fresh. Ralf is a beast.  :metal

Offline The Realm

Really enjoyed the new song. Just one of those heavy rockers that Tobi does well even if the main verse riff is so generic sounding, the rest of the song is strong. Some wild vocals by Ralf and a surprisingly good guitar solo.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Looking forward to the album, but I am just not a Ralf guy. The song is solid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty good song actually, great chorus.  Hopefully this album is better than the last one.

I still hate Sascha's guitar playing though.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
I liked that.  Could actually be an Edguy track.

Offline Melphina

Pretty good song actually, great chorus.  Hopefully this album is better than the last one.

I still hate Sascha's guitar playing though.

Same. The lyrics are as bad as ever, too. Tobi has this strange habit of picking really uncommon words and they really stand out because they're never used in a poetic way and are usually not accompanied with other poetic, fancy word choices. Boscage. Maledictions. Homunculus. Phantasmagoria. Etc. Not a big complaint and I still think the song rocks but honestly I thought Tobi was a better lyricist 20 years ago - ouch - when Edguy was his main squeeze. Oh well.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Decent song, not the biggest fan of Ralf so maybe that's holding the song slightly back for me but it's a rocker for sure. 

I don't see any info about the album though?  The youtube description doesn't mention andalbum title or release date.

Offline Polarbear

https://blabbermouth.net/news/avantasia-announces-a-paranormal-evening-with-the-moonflower-society-album-drops-the-wicked-rule-the-night-single

Honestly, what a stupid album title IMO.. :lol

But the new song was great, so it shouldn't matter too much! ;D

Hopefully rest of the album holds up!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, that's an odd title (thanks for sharing).  Not sure how I feel about it. But no release date yet or track listing? 

Offline Polarbear

Yeah, that's an odd title (thanks for sharing).  Not sure how I feel about it. But no release date yet or track listing?

As far as I can't tell, that is all the info so far.

Offline Lowdz

Well I found that pretty average. If Rolf sang any higher I wouldn’t be able to hear him!

Offline ErHaO

The song reminded me of old school Tobias songs, but not a particularly strong one. It is fine.

Love the album title, it is exactly the type of jumbled word salad that embodies his style of lyrics.  :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Pretty good song. Lots of energy. I made the mistake of reading along with the lyrics. “Rechannelize”?? Is that even a word?  :D

I think I’ve come to terms with the fact that Avantasia lyrics just don’t make very much sense, so I just put them out of my mind and enjoy the music!

Looking forward to the album. I was disappointed with Moonglow, so I’m hoping this will be a return to form.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty good song. Lots of energy. I made the mistake of reading along with the lyrics. “Rechannelize”?? Is that even a word?  :D

I think I’ve come to terms with the fact that Avantasia lyrics just don’t make very much sense, so I just put them out of my mind and enjoy the music!

Looking forward to the album. I was disappointed with Moonglow, so I’m hoping this will be a return to form.

Tobi is just the master of tossing a word-salad.

Offline Lowdz

He’ll never beat the lyrics to Edguy’s England 😁

Especially “England, inventors of … Indian food”

Offline 425

Rechannelize is a perfect example of a Tobias word. He seems to enjoy just tossing prefixes and suffixes onto something and rolling with it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Space Police was a surprisingly fantastic album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Massively. By far the weakest Avantasia album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I found that pretty average. If Rolf sang any higher I wouldn’t be able to hear him!

Offline Lowdz

Sore point. I have a Rolf painting that used to be worth serious money - now it’s virtually worthless 🤬🤬🤬🤬

No excuse either - I had my specs on! 😁

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I thought he was much better on Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sore point. I have a Rolf painting that used to be worth serious money - now it’s virtually worthless 🤬🤬🤬🤬

No excuse either - I had my specs on! 😁

What a sad decline hey.

Stairway to Heaven was always hilarious.  Should have sent that to Reaper.  :lol

Offline Melphina

Pretty sure The Mystery of Time is the weakest album, has some of the worst lyrics too. IMO of course. Even Angel of Babylon at least has a couple good songs.  Moonglow freaking rules.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Mystery Of Time is my all time favorite Avanatsia album, but feel free to shit on it. :lol