Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 210395 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just realized, I met and talked to Robert Mason a couple weeks ago and totally didn't think to say I enjoyed him in Avantasia.  None of this hit me that he was the same guy on Ghostlights until last night  :lol  It all makes sense now as to why he commented on my Kamelot shirt too but man I think he would have really liked some random saying they enjoyed him on Avantasia.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
One week until I will see Avantasia live for the first time.....

How was it? My turn is tomorrow, so I'm curious. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
One week until I will see Avantasia live for the first time.....

How was it? My turn is tomorrow, so I'm curious. :biggrin:

Well..... it was totally and utterly mindblowing. So many singers and all of them great.
Wonderful, varied setlist that lasted for about 3 hours 15 minutes and not one minute of those was unneccesary.

Wish I was back there again....

https://m.facebook.com/martin.sandberg.334/albums/1791630160973044/?ref=bookmarks

So nice to see these singers.... had only seen Bob Catley before
And the musicians..... man.... they were amazing too

Bit tired now though as I worked today

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:11:14 PM by SwedishGoose »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Awesome  :metal and I must say, Jorn looks kind of funny with that hair and shirt  :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Just got back from my world being rocked. :metal I dallied a bit at the merch stand because I couldn't pass up the green Moonglow t-shirt (it looks so damn good and aside from the Heineken-Haken one, which is dark-green, I didn't have any green t-shirts at all), so I ended up being in the second row to the side instead of front center which I wanted to do; the result was I couldn't hear most of the guitar solos because drums were drowning them out. :lol But my spot was behind two short girls so at least I could see the stage pretty well. Almost caught a pick from Oliver at the end when he strolled to our side of the stage. Sascha was throwing picks out all night but not even once he threw it anywhere close to me, and I was at his side of the stage too. :lol Oh well.

The setlist... well, I knew it beforehand, and it's pretty good overall, but I still think the absence of anything from TMoT is a disappointment. Also Lavender isn't a good way to introduce Bob Catley, in my opinion. They also had two Ghostlights songs (Let the Storm... and Master of the Pendulum) almost at the end of the setlist and the crowd seemed a bit worn-out for these songs which weren't as famous as the other ones. Shelter from the Rain, even without Tobias, got a much better reaction. Once again I want to reiterate how good Herbie Langhans is. I even brought my Beyond the Bridge CD in case he would be in the crowd after the show, but no luck, or maybe I just didn't wait long enough.

Surprisingly, I didn't miss Kiske at all, but I saw them live with him twice, so there's that. There are enough singers as it is, and it was really interesting to watch Tate, for example—he said it was a long time since he visited Russia—and man, for all the slack he gets, I thought he was pretty great. The combo of Alchemy / Invincible was one of the show highlights, as was The Raven Child, The Scarecrow (although I couldn't hear the guitar solos at all, which kinda took away from the middle part), Lucifer and The Story Ain't Over. And of course it never gets old to sing along to the Metal Opera tracks. Avantasia was such a joy to sing once again (and true to his tradition to fuck up the lyrics either on this one or Lost in Space whenever he's playing here, Tobias started to sing the second verse right off the bat—which drew a half-puzzled reaction from Tate).

I loved the gig, although I've got to say, three hours of this is almost a bit too much. Then again, it's not like they're playing here every half a year. I'm just glad this didn't take place on a working day.

Worth saying this again: I fucking love this green t-shirt. Everyone should grab it if you get the chance. :lol

Online MirrorMask

I loved the gig, although I've got to say, three hours of this is almost a bit too much. Then again, it's not like they're playing here every half a year. I'm just glad this didn't take place on a working day.

I know the feeling. Let's see it this way: when the final song is over, we're all ready to accept that. After more than 3 hours I'm like "so this is the end... ok, guess I can live with that, no complaints from me"  :lol

Nothing of what you wrote surprised me, a sign that Avantasia are consistent and excellent show after show and that the ensemble is just a killer machine live  :metal it's a once in a three years experience to not miss for any reason!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol talk about a bad joke....

Avantasia

10 minutes until show time, and look what I just spotted in my dressing room... a segway for ladies?!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
 :lol

Less than one week to go! Tuesday will be fun. I hope there's some cool merch to buy, 'cause the shirts I've seen aren't doing much for me (I have way too many black band shirts with album art on them, I would really like bands to branch out or at least have one white shirt available - Sonata Arctica's been pretty good about having various color designs). Also really happy that TMOT is getting short changed on this tour, I know it's popular here but I'd be hesitant about even going if a lot of the set was filled with those songs.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Other than Lavender, the set is solid even without TMOT songs.  I can survive.  Next Friday is kind of like my first real time off of the year.  I took Friday off to drive to Worcester, hit up a legal marijuana store on the way  :hat and then get to see maybe my most anticipated concert of the year from the first row of the balcony.  Then I'm thinking of going to Queens to see Greta Van Fleet the next day, and then Monday is off for Memorial Day  :metal

Online MirrorMask

I wish you a fucking awesome weekend and the excitement from the Avantasia onslaght to last at least a week  :metal you won't be disappointed in them!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Less than one week to go! Tuesday will be fun. I hope there's some cool merch to buy, 'cause the shirts I've seen aren't doing much for me (I have way too many black band shirts with album art on them, I would really like bands to branch out or at least have one white shirt available - Sonata Arctica's been pretty good about having various color designs). Also really happy that TMOT is getting short changed on this tour, I know it's popular here but I'd be hesitant about even going if a lot of the set was filled with those songs.

Man, as I said, our show had a green all-over print Moonglow T-shirt which is beyond awesome, one of the best T-shirts I own. And I don't mean dark-green like the album cover, I mean it's pretty bright green with one sleeve darker than the other. It's great.

I also don't mean to sound like a broken record, but damn, at least one song from TMOT would've been nice. It's three hours of music, you can fit one song from that record for sure, especially since they have Atkins and Martin. I would've welcomed Invoke the Machine or What's Left of Me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Man, as I said, our show had a green all-over print Moonglow T-shirt which is beyond awesome, one of the best T-shirts I own. And I don't mean dark-green like the album cover, I mean it's pretty bright green with one sleeve darker than the other. It's great.

YES! That's the kind of thing I want. I really hope it's available.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Not the best lighting or quality but you can get the idea from these:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I might pick one up too, I'm also a fan of not all black tshirts.  I actually really like wearing navy blue, but never see band tshirts in those colors.  I can't say I wear much green at all though and not sure I'd want to, but I feel like as someone who almost never buys band shirts (they are expensive and I don't often wear them) I wouldn't mind supporting bands that need it (Avantasia needs support in the US) and that I feel deserve my extra money (on top of the amount of money I dish out for concerts and albums every year) which Avantasia also falls under.  But finding a shirt I actually like after all that criteria is met is difficult.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Same. Also I work out and the shirts just don't fit right anymore because they're never in an athletic/tapered fit. Get that huge empty space between my lower back/sides and the shirt itself. Makes me hope there's a flag or something for sale so I can waste my money on that instead  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Same. Also I work out and the shirts just don't fit right anymore because they're never in an athletic/tapered fit. Get that huge empty space between my lower back/sides and the shirt itself. Makes me hope there's a flag or something for sale so I can waste my money on that instead  :lol

And on the opposite spectrum, I'm fat so black actually works well for fat people.  I just don't like all my tshirts to be black, or even the majority.  Especially in the summer.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's too freaking hot. I'm not even fat and I'm miserable from May til October because of the warmth  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cut your damn hair, you freak. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Cut your damn hair, you freak. ;D

I smell envy  :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nah, you just smell. ;D

I'm kidding. Couldn't resist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
TONIGHT!!

Got off work early. Gym time, a couple  :hat for the road, and then it's AVANTASIA!!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
TONIGHT!!

Got off work early. Gym time, a couple  :hat for the road, and then it's AVANTASIA!!

Enjoy!  I wish I were going tonight too.   :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Hope its a great show. Really bummed that The Tea Party was the same night as Avantasia, because I really wanted to see the latter as well. Have a great time!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
You're going to have a blast  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well - apologies for blog-like post - that was without a doubt in my mind one of the greatest concerts I have ever experienced, and I was right up front for the whole thing, right in front of Sascha on the right. Both me and my regular concert-going best friend got picks from Sascha, and we all sang happy birthday to Herbie. Eric Martin called Geoff Tate the 'dark lord of Queensryche' to which Geoff just responded, "Wow. Really?"  :rollin Tobi asked if anyone wasn't from Chicago and most people in the audience seemed to raise their hands. He wished us all a good flight home tomorrow. I imitated Tobi and wore a headband for my beautiful hair.

Ran into an old ex who I don't think I'll ever be over, but thought I'd never ever see or talk to again since she moved to a different state. Apparently her love of the same old bands is there since she flew in for this one. The whole experience shocked/bummed me out so much that I spent half of Let The Storm... in a sad trance, but otherwise, I was going nuts. They only had shirts for sale which was a bummer but I ended up getting a Moonglow art shirt with the tour dates on the back. Yay.

It's 3:30 AM and I just got home... I'm sad they had nothing for sale other than shirts, but that just forced me to get one anyway, so I'm very happy. What a roller coaster evening. I think I'll go to bed now...

Online MirrorMask

Nice to see that wherever they go, the positive response is unanimous!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Kind of crazy about the ex thing, but seems like you otherwise had the awesome experience one would expect though

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Ran into an old ex who I don't think I'll ever be over, but thought I'd never ever see or talk to again since she moved to a different state. Apparently her love of the same old bands is there since she flew in for this one. The whole experience shocked/bummed me out so much that I spent half of Let The Storm... in a sad trance, but otherwise, I was going nuts. They only had shirts for sale which was a bummer but I ended up getting a Moonglow art shirt with the tour dates on the back. Yay.

You didn't miss much though. Now if it was a song from TMOT... :biggrin:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't mind so much zoning out of the dumb 'cut the gem until it's purified away' part but by the time the last chorus kicked in I was back in the game. I really, really love the main verse/chorus composition in that song, but that middle part and breakdowns around it drag it down a bit.

I'm just impressed they played four 10+ minute epics (Ghost in the Moon being over 10 with the extended intro). Unbelievable. And ending with The Seven Angels chorus :heart

EDIT: I just now realized the only 2 tracks they didn't play off Moonglow are Requiem For A Dream and Piper At The Gates of Dawn. Piper RULES and they had every singer there for it! :(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:26:20 PM by Kattelox »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Objectively, how was Tate?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity

Alchemy / Chicago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNtLpL8BmKk

I can't speak for Kat, since I sadly did not attend, but I'm sure he did his....vest.    :lol   He sounds pretty good to me in that video.  Maybe one of his better nights - his intro to Alchemy a few nights ago wasn't as good as this.  Nails the big note halfway through the song.  He's certainly starting to gain some weight though - that is definitely noticeable.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

So, I was rocking out pretty hard during Alchemy and the other songs he was on, but objectively speaking it's really hard to say he wasn't one of the best singers of the night. His voice was warm, vibrant, and smooth, and compared to the other singers, his voice was just... better, in most ways. Jorn was my favorite vocalist in the bunch, and his moments on stage were some of my favorites, but Geoff was just captivating whenever he was singing. Invincible, strangely, was played after Alchemy, but he was sooooo good. Like listening to the record.

I'll watch the vid Grappler shared soon; from the angle, I was on the other side in front of Sascha. Because I was so up front it was often hard to hear a couple singers very well, like Ronnie Atkins, who was damn near indecipherable, but I could hear every word Geoff sang clear as day. I really liked that.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks to you both. I skipped around a bit. He sounded good. The weight thing -- we all get old. I don't hold it against him. He turned 60 this year. He looks it. I'm glad he sounded pretty good though. there's some things technique wise I saw in that video which are much better.

Glad you had fun Kattelox. I wish I could have gone to the San Jose show. Just a concert conflict. Doesn't happen often. But I had been waiting five years to see Avantasia, and 20 years to see The Tea Party, so they won out.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't even think about that. 60?! He didn't look 60, but I think being bald and having some muscle helps with that. That's even more impressive. Wow. (Ralf Scheepers is 54 and he certainly doesn't look it. Lift weights, go bald, people!)

EDIT: Watching that video confirmed my thoughts last night - Tobias is on fire these days. Between, oh, 2010 and 2013 I was worried for his voice because it seemed like he wasn't giving himself any time to rest, and the recorded works were suffering as a result. But damn he sounded amazing last night. Guy's got it going on.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:32:55 PM by Kattelox »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Geoff sounds solid in that video, his performance Friday was kind of going to be the weighing bar to see if I catch his Operation Mindcrime show locally next month.  I've never been a big QR fan so not really a Geoff lover or hater, but I've pretty much mostly have only ever heard bad things about him and his live performance that made me not care to see him perform, but if he's doing well I think I might check out his show.