Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209280 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #1855 on: February 27, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »
They have a female backing vocalist, she'll take up Candice's role and sing Farewell as well (the part originally sung by Within Temptation's singer).

And Hansi will be covered by Ronnie Atkins (my first guess) or Eric Martin (second guess).

I'd love to see Herbie Langhans covering Hansi parts, but I'm fairly sure it won't happen, yeah.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1856 on: February 27, 2019, 03:39:05 PM »
Now that I think of it, maybe Herbie could replace Hansi in Book of Shallows, since it's a mix of singers already.... I assume Raven Child will go to one of the "main" singers, but Herbie could do little bits here and there, just like he did with Ghostlights where he sang the (very brief) Jorn part because it woudl have been anticlimatic for him to appear for just a couple of lines.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1857 on: February 27, 2019, 03:41:26 PM »
Nobody can replace Hansi but god keep Eric Martin and Ronnie away from his lines.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1858 on: March 05, 2019, 01:48:50 PM »
I'm up to the second last song of my first listen to this album and I have to say, I'm very, very underwhelmed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1859 on: March 05, 2019, 02:00:10 PM »
In fairness, you were also underwhelmed by El Dorado as I recall.  So I have my doubts about your ability to recognize awesomeness.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: March 05, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »
In fairness, you were also underwhelmed by El Dorado as I recall.  So I have my doubts about your ability to recognize awesomeness.

Fucking zing!!  That one came out of nowhere.  ;D

Still am underwhelmed by that poor excuse of an Iron Maiden song.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1861 on: March 06, 2019, 01:42:18 AM »
I'm up to the second last song of my first listen to this album and I have to say, I'm very, very underwhelmed.

Exactly how I felt on my first listen, it's grown on me quite a bit since but it's still middle of the road Avantasia.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1862 on: March 06, 2019, 01:53:03 AM »
I'm going to give Moonglow another go today. I haven't really listened to it since d/t came out and took over my life.  :)

My initial thoughts were "good but not great", and thinking I would definitely put it below Mystery and Ghostlights. We'll see how it bears up after a few more listens..

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1863 on: March 06, 2019, 02:05:35 AM »
I'd say that up until Alchemy the album does quite great, then it's all been there, done that with no big climax to look forward to.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1864 on: March 06, 2019, 05:15:20 AM »
Y'all are nuts, this is a high point for Avantasia.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: March 06, 2019, 05:26:45 AM »

But your opinion has mostly been opposite of the majority in this thread so this is just another example  :lol

I'd say that up until Alchemy the album does quite great, then it's all been there, done that with no big climax to look forward to.

This is really the problem with the album IMO.  The second half is all very average Avantasia and there's no big pay off at the end.  It climaxes with The Raven Child and Alchemy and doesn't come close to those highs again.  I do enjoy the back half, its solid Avantasia music, but none of it makes me think this is a high point for the band.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1866 on: March 06, 2019, 05:36:20 AM »
I'd say it's pretty strong until and including Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and the final four songs are a letdown. Also Starlight was kinda meh on the first listen.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: March 06, 2019, 06:28:43 AM »

But your opinion has mostly been opposite of the majority in this thread so this is just another example  :lol

I was an Avantasia fan before it was cool, damn it!!  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1868 on: March 06, 2019, 06:55:19 AM »

This is true and probably is a big reason why your opinion is so different since you were exposed to the band through their older music.  Ghostlights was the first release for me as a fan so I got into them due to their more recent output.

I'd say it's pretty strong until and including Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and the final four songs are a letdown. Also Starlight was kinda meh on the first listen.

Starlight has definitely grown on me, its still fairly average Avantasia but I am enjoying it much more than my first listen. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1869 on: March 06, 2019, 08:45:24 AM »

STOP SAYING THINGS I SO STRONGLY AGREE WITH!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1870 on: March 06, 2019, 09:14:05 AM »

STOP SAYING THINGS I SO STRONGLY AGREE WITH!

We're not so different, you and I...    :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1871 on: March 06, 2019, 09:20:47 AM »
:scw:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: March 06, 2019, 09:24:03 AM »
Them's fightin' pictures...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1873 on: March 06, 2019, 09:40:31 AM »
:lol  Anyway, I'm almost overwhelmed with the onslaught of good new music and good tours right now.  And Avantasia is right in the mix for all of that.  I honestly feel like I am underappreciating this album right now because I am focused on DT and NMB for the upcoming shows, and just haven't had a chance to give this album its due.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1874 on: March 06, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
:scw:

:rollin and wow that has it's own emote code  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1875 on: March 06, 2019, 11:55:38 AM »
Short for Shopping Cart Warrior.  :blob:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1876 on: March 06, 2019, 02:18:12 PM »

I guess this might make it tough for me with later Avantasia.  Each album I do love but has taken so long for me to warm to, especially the last 3.  This one may grow but a found Edguy just before Avantasia was even a thing and loved them both instantly, when the Metal Opera came out it was so exciting and fresh and I just feel less and less excited and impressed with each release. 

Tobi is just going through the motions here and we've heard everything before.  And Sascha's guitar solos are just repetivive, uninspiring and grating.  Everything here just feel like Tobi going 'meh.'  Heart was actually one of the ones I thought was a bit different and had a bit more though put into it.  Everything else is the same thing over again.  And the Maniac cover can just fuck off.

I'm hoping my view changes, but I'm just not interested in listening to it again right now.  I will come back to it.  That's what I did with the last 3 and it made me appreciate them more.  Tobi needs to work with a more talented guitarist.  Jens has always been solid enough but his solos just always miss the mark and are nothing spectacular, they just do their job, and Sascha is well, a hack.  If he worked with like a Romeo, Petrucci type guitarist, it would be amazing.  We saw how well him and Henjo worked together, but that's just my personal gripe.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: March 06, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »

Can't disagree more, but again I've only listened once.

Also wanted to say that the title track was fucking awful and is a Nightwish b-side.  And the melody at the start and around the 7 minute mark of The Raven Child keeps me from appreciating it like I should because it's a blatant rip of Maiden's When the Wild Wind Blows.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1878 on: March 06, 2019, 02:58:16 PM »
Saw a few U.S. dates, and I'm screwed. They are playing San Jose on May 17. I was all excited, and then realized...shit, I have a ticket to go see The Tea Party (who NEVER tours the states) on the same night in San Francisco. I'm going to the latter. But damn.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: March 06, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »
Saw a few U.S. dates, and I'm screwed. They are playing San Jose on May 17. I was all excited, and then realized...shit, I have a ticket to go see The Tea Party (who NEVER tours the states) on the same night in San Francisco. I'm going to the latter. But damn.

And Avantasia's only 2 previous shows in the US is less?  :biggrin:

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1880 on: March 06, 2019, 03:24:21 PM »

And Avantasia's only 2 previous shows in the US is less?  :biggrin:

Pretty close. Been a fan of The Tea Party for 20 years now. They played Buffalo, N.Y. once, a few years after that, and I wasn't able to make the 10 hour drive or whatever it was at the time (I was still on Long Island). And to my knowledge, on the west coast, they've never played here in those 20 years, except for Seattle once or twice. They've sorta just stayed in the Canadian and European markets.

But I get to see a huge band (they are pretty big in Canada) that I've loved for 20 years in a club that will probably end up having 100 people at most in the audience. As opposed to this gigantic rock opera where I'll be one of a couple thousand. Easy choice for me, but I do wish I could attend both.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1881 on: March 18, 2019, 08:38:21 AM »
I think Moonglow is a fantastic album, and I'm actually surprised with many saying it's only middle of the road Avantasia. It's big, bombastic and corny in parts - basically what we've come to expect. Hansi's tracks are awesome - the Raven Child is right up there with Wicked Symphony as possibly my favourite Avantasia track, Book of Shallows is one of the albums best and Tate is actually really good - I'm a big fan of Invincible. I personally think it blows Ghostlights out of the water - that was an album that for me, had heaps of promise and the songs were almost there, but many just missed the mark a bit.

The only thing I will say is that I'm still confused by the inclusion of Maniac. One, because it just doesn't seem to fit very well, and two, because even the original is a terrible song, so a cover is just a strange choice. Still, that's what playlists are for, so no biggie. In any case, having this come out almost at the same time as DoT was a treat for the ears  :tup

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1882 on: March 18, 2019, 11:29:14 AM »
I'm kinda liking Maniac (haven't heard the original), but I'm against covers on albums in general, and it just doesn't really fit on Moonglow.

I've been listening to this and yeah, there are some killer tunes and I like this more than Ghostlights. But there are like three or four forgettable songs (Starlight, Lavender, Requiem, Heart) which bring it down a notch. Still a good effort and should be fun to see some of the new material performed live.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: March 18, 2019, 11:50:42 AM »
Requiem rules. Most of the time I bag on Sascha but on that song I at least like the guitar melody and those quick little 16th notes he adds in. Requiem for a draaaaaaaaaaym :2metal:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: March 18, 2019, 12:00:31 PM »
I'm kinda liking Maniac (haven't heard the original), but I'm against covers on albums in general, and it just doesn't really fit on Moonglow.

I've been listening to this and yeah, there are some killer tunes and I like this more than Ghostlights. But there are like three or four forgettable songs (Starlight, Lavender, Requiem, Heart) which bring it down a notch. Still a good effort and should be fun to see some of the new material performed live.

I feel the same about Maniac, it's fairly fun power metal song that fits the Avantasia sound IMO, but as a cover it doesn't belong on the album and also it doesn't even fit musically.  I know I said it sounds like Avantasia, but I feel it would have fit on one of their older albums more so than Moonglow.  But I am not sure I'd consider Heart part of the album, at least not more than Maniac.  Somehow I feel Heart should be on the album and Maniac the bonus song.  Whatever, I've said this before here.

I have really warmed up to the album though.  It's problem is it starts stronger than it ends.  Requiem is a good song in my book, but it's not as good as what came earlier on the album and it's preceded by Lavender, which is my least favorite on the album. And then comes the Maniac Heart ending that makes no sense.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: March 18, 2019, 12:01:06 PM »
Requiem rules. Most of the time I bag on Sascha but on that song I at least like the guitar melody and those quick little 16th notes he adds in. Requiem for a draaaaaaaaaaym :2metal:

Fuck two babies
Fuck two babies
Let it all wash over me
Requiem for a dream

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: March 18, 2019, 02:37:09 PM »

Fuck two babies
Fuck two babies
Let it all wash over me
Requiem for a dream

Congratulations, my friend, you've managed to make me feel weird listening to this song now  :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1887 on: March 18, 2019, 04:10:14 PM »

Wow, really?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1888 on: March 18, 2019, 05:03:35 PM »
The only reason I know that song at all is because it was referenced in Tommy Boy.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: March 18, 2019, 05:49:58 PM »
The only reason I know that song at all is because it was referenced in Tommy Boy.

:lol same