Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 211525 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #1750 on: February 08, 2019, 06:14:17 AM »
Ghostlights has become my favorite Avantasia album.  It has an incredible lineup of singers and is their heaviest sounding album.  Not much else to add, since everyone above has covered the songs, and they just hit you left and right.  Draconian Love tends to be my favorite - I love the gothic sound of the song and then the chorus just knocks you off of your feet.

Moonglow has some potential to be just as good as Ghostlights with the lineup and songs released so far.   :metal

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1751 on: February 08, 2019, 06:54:17 AM »
Great album, there's not much I can add that others haven't already said. I love The Haunting, Pendulum and Draconian Love best. Even Tate sounds good (but is still only a shadow of his glory days).
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1752 on: February 08, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »
Here's my take on Ghostlights:  I treat it as if they released Seduction of Decay is a really cool single, with an hour's worth of bonus tracks that aren't worth listening to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1753 on: February 08, 2019, 08:08:00 AM »
Here's my take on Ghostlights:  I treat it as if they released Seduction of Decay is a really cool single, with an hour's worth of bonus tracks that aren't worth listening to.

:o ??? :tdwn :( :omg: :facepalm: :biggrin:

In that order.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1754 on: February 08, 2019, 08:10:19 AM »
:lol  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: February 08, 2019, 08:25:27 AM »
Yeah, I mean I don't like the album, but Seduction of Decay isn't the only good song there. I'm really curious about Tate's performance on Moonglow though!

But bosk likes Mystery of Time, so we're good.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1756 on: February 08, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
For me, the 'highs' are incredibly high, while the lows are just as incredibly low.

High:
Let the Storm Descend Upon You
Ghostlights
Master of the Pendulum
Babylon Vampyres
Lucifer
Unchain the Light
A Restless Heart and Obsidian Skies

Lows:
The Haunting
Seduction of Decay
Draconian Love

Somewhere in the mediocre/tolerable range:
Mystery of a Blood Red Rose
Isle of Evermore

FIGHTME!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1757 on: February 08, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
I really love the album and Draconian Love is a favourite. I like Mystery of a Blood Red Rose too but can’t unhear Meat Loaf singing it 😀

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1758 on: February 08, 2019, 02:56:54 PM »
I rarely say this about music, because OF COURSE liking music is entirely subjective.  But I have never understood what there is to like about Draconian Love.  I just find it so comedically bad on every level.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1759 on: February 08, 2019, 02:58:09 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: February 08, 2019, 02:59:21 PM »
Well, even though I don't really like it, it's incredibly fun to sing along to live. Also it's great to see Herbie swtiching from his back vocals role to the actual frontman, and he's pretty damn good at this. I wish he had a better song to sing on.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: February 08, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »
Y'all like Mystery of Time. You can't rag on Draconian Love when you like Watchmaker's Dream.   :lol :heart
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1762 on: February 08, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »

I cannot understand this at all. Tate sounds so bad on the track, like he's barely holding it together.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: February 08, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »
Y'all like Mystery of Time. You can't rag on Draconian Love when you like Watchmaker's Dream.   :lol :heart

Love both songs  :lol

Draconian love is just like a pop metal song so I can see why people wouldn't like it, add in the low vocals, and a kind of odd (although very catchy IMO) chorus.  I can see why people who enjoy metal would laugh at that song, however, I can't deny my love for it.  Just too catchy to not enjoy IMO.  Also Herbie is fantastic with his low vocals.  I wonder if he is going to sing other songs live since he is touring with them, but he may end up just doing the backing vocals.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1764 on: February 08, 2019, 05:13:28 PM »
Well, even though I don't really like it, it's incredibly fun to sing along to live. Also it's great to see Herbie swtiching from his back vocals role to the actual frontman, and he's pretty damn good at this. I wish he had a better song to sing on.

I get a Nightingale vibe from it. And it’s different.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: February 09, 2019, 12:36:23 AM »

Draconian love is just like a pop metal song so I can see why people wouldn't like it, add in the low vocals, and a kind of odd (although very catchy IMO) chorus.  I can see why people who enjoy metal would laugh at that song, however, I can't deny my love for it.  Just too catchy to not enjoy IMO.  Also Herbie is fantastic with his low vocals.  I wonder if he is going to sing other songs live since he is touring with them, but he may end up just doing the backing vocals.

As far as I remember from the last tour, he only sang this song and did backing vocals on the rest. He probably also sang a few lines on Sign of the Cross, but that's it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1766 on: February 09, 2019, 02:27:41 AM »
Only three words for you:

HEY HEY HEY  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1767 on: February 09, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »

As far as I remember from the last tour, he only sang this song and did backing vocals on the rest. He probably also sang a few lines on Sign of the Cross, but that's it.

Yup, thats what I recall too but Im wondering if he will do more lead singing on this next tour.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1768 on: February 09, 2019, 10:36:38 AM »
I'd love that, he's a great singer.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1769 on: February 09, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
He also did the minimal part of Jorn in Ghostlights, if we want to dot the i's. And I agree he should have an enlarged role in the next tour!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: February 09, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »
He also did the minimal part of Jorn in Ghostlights, if we want to dot the i's. And I agree he should have an enlarged role in the next tour!

I was so engaged in singing along to this song, I didn't even notice that! That's actually good to know.

I guess they'll grop Ghostlights for this tour now that Kiske's out, though.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1771 on: February 14, 2019, 06:22:08 AM »
Moonglow day tomorrow!

I must admit, my enthusiasm for it has been overshadowed by D/T, but I'm still looking forward to it. Hopefully there's some good stuff to be had.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1772 on: February 14, 2019, 06:34:24 AM »
My plan is to buy it tomorrow during lunch break, there's nearby one of those big elecronical stores, mainly for TVs, house appliances etc, that have also a multimedia section for games, DVDs and of course CDs.

It's the same tactic I used three years ago - bought on release day and during lunch break both Ghostlights AND The Astonishing, on the same day. This time around, three years later, we had to wait for both a little more....

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1773 on: February 14, 2019, 08:24:58 AM »
Mine is on pre-order from Amazon. Hoping at midnight I'll have an autorip available. If not, it won't be until later in the day when I hear it all.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1774 on: February 14, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
I've pre-ordered on iTunes, so I should be able to get a first listen on the way in to work tomorrow.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1775 on: February 14, 2019, 09:06:26 AM »
Listened to the leak. It's great.  :metal

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1776 on: February 14, 2019, 10:01:26 AM »
I'm only up to Book of Shadows and loving it.  Mille Petrozza is fucking awesome and Hansi is his usual amazing self.  I'm glad to see some new singers on this album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: February 14, 2019, 10:14:26 AM »
So excited to give this a listen soon  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: February 14, 2019, 10:21:01 AM »
Been a long wait, very eager to hear this. Hope it doesn't disappoint. Better be more like Ghostlights and not Mystery of Shit. :biggrin:

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1779 on: February 14, 2019, 10:27:39 AM »
HOLY SHIT.

Tate's vocals are incredible.  I never thought he'd sing this well ever again.  The songs that he's on blow Seduction of Decay out of the water.  Better songs and way better vocals.      :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1780 on: February 14, 2019, 11:35:02 AM »
HOLY SHIT.

Tate's vocals are incredible.  I never thought he'd sing this well ever again.  The songs that he's on blow Seduction of Decay out of the water.  Better songs and way better vocals.      :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

SERIOUSLY?

Wow. He's doing a show featuring ONLY songs from EP-Mindcrime this weekend in Germany. Its a good thing his voice is apparently in shape. If he's singing that well, I guess it is.

Looking forward to hearing the tunes he did on Moonglow tomorrow.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1781 on: February 14, 2019, 12:12:25 PM »
HOLY SHIT.

SERIOUSLY?

Wow. He's doing a show featuring ONLY songs from EP-Mindcrime this weekend in Germany. Its a good thing his voice is apparently in shape. If he's singing that well, I guess it is.

I don't know how Tobias gets these vocals out of him.   One's a ballad with some really good, soulful, strong vocals.  Reminds me of his Empire/Promised land/Q2K stuff.

Then a straight-up heavy rocker where Tate really cuts loose on some high notes.  Both of those are duets with Tobi.  I think they're stronger than the Re-Arrange You one, which was his last attempt at putting one on an album.  Then he's part of an ensemble song - it's a really cool sequence of songs on the album.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: February 14, 2019, 01:54:29 PM »
HOLY SHIT.

SERIOUSLY?

I don't know how Tobias gets these vocals out of him.   One's a ballad with some really good, soulful, strong vocals.  Reminds me of his Empire/Promised land/Q2K stuff.

Then a straight-up heavy rocker where Tate really cuts loose on some high notes.  Both of those are duets with Tobi.  I think they're stronger than the Re-Arrange You one, which was his last attempt at putting one on an album.  Then he's part of an ensemble song - it's a really cool sequence of songs on the album.

He hit a killer note on Re-Arrange You. Apparently that was a one-take too. LOL. But that was 13 years ago. Very cool. I am looking forward to Friday.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1783 on: February 15, 2019, 01:00:35 AM »
HOLY SHIT.

Tate F****** slays on this album!

Right now Alchemy is my favorite from the album. The album as a whole is a lot to take in, but I like it more than Ghostlights already!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1784 on: February 15, 2019, 02:18:05 AM »
Initial thoughts after the first listen:

Sounds good to me so far.  Alchemy is definitely the track that stood out to me most. I wasn't too keen on Moonglow as a standalone single, but I think it works well in its place in the album. I'll give it a few more listens in work today.

Maniac seems a strange choice to include. I like the version of the song and all, but it seems a little out of place.