Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 210826 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #1470 on: December 12, 2018, 05:41:11 PM »
My online research today on this, I found only an interview with Tate and he IS touring with Avantasia.

I need an answer on Kiske before I go crazy.  Someone with Social Media help a brother out!

This song is awesome, especially the last minute or so.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1471 on: December 12, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »
They are coming to Australia in May but not in my state.  I really need to do something to go and see them I think.   I'll wait for the official release of the song instead of waiting for a radio rip.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1472 on: December 12, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »
They are coming to Australia in May but not in my state.  I really need to do something to go and see them I think.   I'll wait for the official release of the song instead of waiting for a radio rip.

Come to the Worcester show! :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1473 on: December 12, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »

You know what, this would be something I would love to do at some stage, get on a plane and see a show with you guys or go to a DTF meetup.  Maybe do a tour and see all you lads and go to a show.  I can definitely afford it, it's not impossible.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1474 on: December 12, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »
My family has been bugging me to go to Hawaii. I told them if we go to there, then we're going all the way to Australia to see my two DTF buds.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1475 on: December 12, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »

You know what, this would be something I would love to do at some stage, get on a plane and see a show with you guys or go to a DTF meetup.  Maybe do a tour and see all you lads and go to a show.  I can definitely afford it, it's not impossible.

Do it!! That would be epic, although for coming across the globe for a show, I'd probably just recommend going to Progpower USA to get more bands out of it.  Unless you'd have bigger plans with traveling around the US on such a trip.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: December 12, 2018, 06:19:47 PM »
My family has been bugging me to go to Hawaii. I told them if we go to there, then we're going all the way to Australia to see my two DTF buds.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1477 on: December 12, 2018, 06:20:54 PM »

Do it!! That would be epic, although for coming across the globe for a show, I'd probably just recommend going to Progpower USA to get more bands out of it.  Unless you'd have bigger plans with traveling around the US on such a trip.

I've thought about it for a while.  Problem is I won't be able to get ample time off work for a trip that big.  I could quit my job, that would probably be worth it.  Progpower was definitely one I would have in mind.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1478 on: December 12, 2018, 06:23:55 PM »
Definitely a cool trip maybe not worth quitting your job over but something to consider doing if possible.  Would love to meet more DTF folk, including TAC if you make it to the Worcester show. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1479 on: December 12, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »
Definitely a cool trip maybe not worth quitting your job over but something to consider doing if possible.  Would love to meet more DTF folk, including TAC if you make it to the Worcester show.

I'm going if Kiske is going.  :lol

You must be on FB. Send them a message!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1480 on: December 12, 2018, 07:37:20 PM »
TAC, it would take you like two minutes to make a facebook account.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1481 on: December 13, 2018, 01:15:06 AM »
Like the Metal Operas were concept albums and pretty corny admittedly but at least the lyrics kind of made sense in the context of a real story with actual characters. Most of the lyrics between The Scarecrow and this could be swapped and the songs would thematically remain every bit as enigmatic and meandering. (Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy it, it's silly fun, the last couple minutes with Jorn are like The Scarecrow but maybe not as good as that particularly awesome passage)

I agree with this. I LOVE Avantasia, and I think that Dio teaches us that lyrics, if sung well with the proper passion and commitment, can mean much more than the actual words they're made of. But I love a good story and knowing that all the Avantasia album tell one, it's frustating to not get a grip about what the story are. I had to read it in an interview to understand that the protagonist of the Scarecrow trilogy ends up in an asylum for example.

Also, to make an example, wasn't Mystery of a Blood Red Rose intended for Meat Loaf? every singer is a character, if Tobi took over the song it means that the concept is so loose that a swap of singer, and therefore character, doesn't really mean that much. Imagine a scenario where The Astonishing had multiple singers, James playing the female parts because a female guest didn't work would have been a clusterfuck story-wise, but apparently this isn't an issue with Avantasia.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1482 on: December 13, 2018, 01:42:05 AM »
The story in The Scarecrow actually made sense, but I lost the plot in the next two albums. The Mystery of Time made almost no sense at all, and while Tobias said that Ghostlights was a TMOT continuation, to this day I honestly can't say it's a concept album at all. No idea what's going on there.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1483 on: December 13, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »
The story in The Scarecrow actually made sense, but I lost the plot in the next two albums. The Mystery of Time made almost no sense at all, and while Tobias said that Ghostlights was a TMOT continuation, to this day I honestly can't say it's a concept album at all. No idea what's going on there.

Agreed.

"word salad fiesta"   :rollin  You're spot on, but I kinda like his word jumbles.
I will bring uncertainty on a silver plate
Like a mantle piece
I will wipe out darkness

Love it!

Kade... if you come to the Worcester show, count me in.  :caffeine:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: December 13, 2018, 09:23:14 AM »

Agreed.

"word salad fiesta"   :rollin  You're spot on, but I kinda like his word jumbles.
Like a mantle piece
I will wipe out darkness

Love it!

As I said earlier, I know pretty much all of TMOT lyrics by heart. They don't make sense, but it's a lot of fun to sing along of them. :lol

Swinging blade of a lowering perpendicular is probably the most hilarious one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1485 on: December 13, 2018, 09:35:29 AM »
Digging through the Facebook posts on the Avantasia website.... It seems the belief is that Kiske is NOT part of this tour.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1486 on: December 13, 2018, 09:39:09 AM »
Digging through the Facebook posts on the Avantasia website.... It seems the belief is that Kiske is NOT part of this tour.

I found that Tobias often comments on the early replies (read the first ~30 minutes) after he posts something on Facebook, so if I catch one of his posts early in the coming days, I'll be sure to ask that, Tim.

Trying to send the personal message to the band page doesn't usually work in my experience. In fact I think the only one who ever replied to me when I did that was Arjen. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1487 on: December 13, 2018, 09:40:32 AM »
Thank you. There are multiple comments from fans regarding Kiske not being on the tour. Seems as if they know.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1488 on: December 13, 2018, 10:01:09 AM »
New single should be availaible.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: December 13, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
Not on Spotify for me yet, and not on the streaming platform I use. There is some unofficial version on YouTube but I'm not listening to that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1490 on: December 13, 2018, 10:18:27 AM »
There is some unofficial version on YouTube but I'm not listening to that.

A man of principle.

Not me! :lol  I listened and it's great!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: December 13, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »
I mean it's going to be up next morning anyway. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1492 on: December 13, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »
10 seconds in, I knew I was going to love this song.  :lol  The soft parts are really nice.  But I also love when it really kicks in like just before the 2:00 mark.  All in all, first impression is very positive.

I know Katt and I have very different takes on Avantasia, but for me, TMOT is where it is at for this band, and this song captures a lot of what I liked about that album.  Again, my history with Avantasia is limited.  I hadn't heard a note of them until I read a glowing review of TMOT that put it pretty high up in a top 10 albums of year list.  It sounded intriguing and I had some spare cash, so I bought it without hearing a note.  Loved it pretty much right off the bat.  I didn't really care for Ghostlights at all, except for the odd song here and there.  I'm not sure what it is, but it just didn't really take.  And Draconian Love really turned me off.  On further urging from you guys, I listened to Scarecrow and The Wicked Symphony online.  I seem to recall that I liked both fairly well.  I haven't bought them, but should probably get around to that.  But back to The Raven Child, it seems to fall in line with what I like about the band, so this song is a winner to me, at least after one listen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: December 13, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
10 seconds in, I knew I was going to love this song.  :lol  The soft parts are really nice.  But I also love when it really kicks in like just before the 2:00 mark.  All in all, first impression is very positive.

I know Katt and I have very different takes on Avantasia, but for me, TMOT is where it is at for this band, and this song captures a lot of what I liked about that album.

This sounds very promising, and my expectations for this song have just skyrocketed. I blame bosk if I dislike the song tomorrow.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1494 on: December 13, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »
:lol  :dunno:

Second listen reinforced what I typed above.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: December 13, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
I just listened to TMOT yesterday, still brilliant. If this is anything like TMOT I'm going to love it.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1496 on: December 13, 2018, 10:51:02 AM »
Gonna save my full reaction for tomorrow when "The Raven Child" is officially available, but holy sheet this just became my most anticipated album of next year!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1497 on: December 13, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »

Agreed.

Like a mantle piece
I will wipe out darkness

Love it!

As I said earlier, I know pretty much all of TMOT lyrics by heart. They don't make sense, but it's a lot of fun to sing along of them. :lol

Swinging blade of a lowering perpendicular is probably the most hilarious one.

Welcome to the aftermath of the incidents that made the towers fall... I can see and feel and know that I can't comprehend... etc

Compared with:

I've been fighting for my soul and sometimes it takes a toll
Hope one day you'll understand what it means to hold in hand
What we call a fantasy, but it's nothing but a key
To the world that now you're in that we call a wicked dream
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: December 13, 2018, 12:09:03 PM »
I've been fighting for my soul and sometimes it takes a toll
Hope one day you'll understand what it means to hold in hand
What we call a fantasy, but it's nothing but a key
To the world that now you're in that we call a wicked dream

I was saving it for some DTF karaoke, but here you go, try singing this to The Seven Angels final melody:

We have come to hear him sing, see the gift the savior brings
And the crowd is mesmerized, Lord Nafaryus arrives
Please don't stop on my account, tell us what've heard about
Brother worry not today, they will soon be on their way

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1499 on: December 13, 2018, 12:12:41 PM »
Welcome to the aftermath of the incidents that made the towers fall... I can see and feel and know that I can't comprehend... etc

I have no idea what it means, but I have always thought that lyric was awesome.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1500 on: December 13, 2018, 12:34:19 PM »
Not on Spotify for me yet, and not on the streaming platform I use. There is some unofficial version on YouTube but I'm not listening to that.

Yeah, shame on me, I saw an official italian webzine post it and I assumed it was the real deal... they just linked the radio rip version  :facepalm:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: December 13, 2018, 12:46:31 PM »

I have no idea what it means, but I have always thought that lyric was awesome.

Hey to each their own, I make no personal judgments on what people like :)

Evermind...  Awesome!!  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1502 on: December 13, 2018, 01:16:46 PM »
I mean, its meaning is comedically incomprehensible.  But it just rolls off the tongue in kind of a fun way.  And I have always found it kind of thought provoking, even though trying to figure out what it means ultimately just leads to me shrugging my shoulders and moving on.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: December 13, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »
I mean, its meaning is comedically incomprehensible.  But it just rolls off the tongue in kind of a fun way.  And I have always found it kind of thought provoking, even though trying to figure out what it means ultimately just leads to me shrugging my shoulders and moving on.  :lol

Oh yeah definitely. I think that's why it's so frustrating for me, but also because Tobi used to have legit lyrics that made sense all the time haha. The music itself is almost always awesome and I just wish the lyrics felt like they had the same amount of effort put into them.

I'm on my weekend right now so I'm gonna listen to TRC a few dozen times seems maybe I'll get used to them   :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: December 13, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »
Is it bad of me that I love this band so much, yet I've never followed any of the stories?  Anyone else in the same boat.  I love listening to them but I just don't have the energy to read along and followed the story for each album.