Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209500 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #1435 on: October 15, 2018, 07:59:39 AM »
https://bravewords.com/news/bravewords-exclusive-avantasia-new-album-the-most-diverse-avantasia-record-since-the-scarecrow

BraveWords scribe Carl Begai offers some insight on Moonglow:
"Simply put, Moonglow is the most diverse Avantasia record since The Scarecrow (released in 2008). The ebb and flow of the album is captivating in that you have no idea where the songs are going to go. In fact, the only predictable moment is 'Requiem For A Dream', which is Tobi's expected high- speed Helloween fanboy entry trading vocals with Michael Kiske (who does what he does best at a level nobody can touch). Other than that... the way Sammet and Paeth shaped the songs using Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian), Candice Night (Blackmore's Night), Mille Petrozza (Kreator) and Geoff Tate (ex-Queensryche) is pure ear candy and not what you're expecting of the singers. For example.... no, Ms. Night does not go Celtic or sappy ballad on Moonglow. And Tate... he should put Operation: Mindcrime on ice and join Avantasia full time, as the material lets his voice shine. He hasn't sounded this good in 20 years. No small wonder he appears on three tracks on Moonglow.

Lead track 'Ghost In The Moon' is Avantasia's gradiose Meatloaf-esque moment, clocking in around 10 minutes, in contrast to the crushing metal of 'Book Of Shallows' featuring Sammet, Ronnie Atkins (Pretty Maids), Kürsch, Petrozza and Jorn Lande. 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' is an equally rousing metal assault, while 'Invincible' and 'Alchemy' feature two sides of Tate back-to-back. Bets are on 'The Raven Child' becoming THE fan favourite on the record, which is Avantasia rock opera brilliance coupled with a Savatage-esque stomp that goes for miles. It doesn't feel like 11 minutes. As for the cover of 'Maniac'... yeah, well, to each his own."

Wow that's pretty interesting that the use of the singers is not what we are typically expecting of Avantasia.  Also, Tate on three tracks?  I wonder if that means he is going to tour with them.  Definitely sounds pretty cool, but doesn't really change my expectations for the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1436 on: October 15, 2018, 08:54:44 AM »
Touring with Avantasia would be a great move for Tate.  He is drawing fewer and fewer on his own, so he needs something outside the box to stay even somewhat relevant.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1437 on: October 15, 2018, 09:41:03 AM »
I didn't much care for "Seduction of Decay" on Ghostlights, but it was Tate's best vocal performance since the Promised Land days.

He just needs to surround himself with great songwriters and producers like Tobi, and abandon the Operation Mindcrime nonsense. I'm looking forward on what he brings to the table on Moonglow.

In general, I love the description of the album given by the BraveWords guy. Scarecrow is my favorite album from Avantasia, and the similarities he describes get's me excited. And Candice Night will not be featured in an obligatory ballad, but potentially gets to rock alongside Tobi and the rest?! Man! :metal

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1438 on: October 15, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
I don't know. I'll be very surprised if Candice is on a metal song, but I can see her getting a rocking track like Locked Within the Crystal Ball by Blackmore's Night.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1439 on: October 15, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
I didn't much care for "Seduction of Decay" on Ghostlights, but it was Tate's best vocal performance since the Promised Land days.

He just needs to surround himself with great songwriters and producers like Tobi, and abandon the Operation Mindcrime nonsense. I'm looking forward on what he brings to the table on Moonglow.

Agreed completely on all of this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1440 on: October 15, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »
Tate said somewhere that he was indeed touring with Avantasia next year. And I agree, it is a great move for him. Agreed on all the other comments regarding his vocal performance on Seduction of Decay, and letting go of the stupid Operation Mindcrime band moniker.

Happy he got three songs. Hopefully they all are standouts and his voice sounds as good as it did on Seduction of Decay.

Can't wait to hear the Kiske track. Stereotypical move or not for Tobi, the more Kiske, the better.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1441 on: October 15, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »
It says there's only one predictable moment and that's where I know this review is another that overhypes an upcoming Avantasia album. I can call half a dozen elements I'm 100% positive will be here.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: October 15, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »
It says there's only one predictable moment and that's where I know this review is another that overhypes an upcoming Avantasia album. I can call half a dozen elements I'm 100% positive will be here.

I think we would be foolish to believe their statement in the first place to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: October 19, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »
More shows in other territories tba next week!

:metal :metal

Come on New York City...

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1444 on: October 22, 2018, 02:37:57 AM »
Two Australian dates confirmed for May next year, Sydney and Melbourne.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: October 22, 2018, 05:25:02 AM »
Two Australian dates confirmed for May next year, Sydney and Melbourne.

Of fucking course.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1446 on: December 07, 2018, 08:06:26 AM »
I'm at work and I can't check but I saw an official link about a Nuclear Blast promo for the album. Go on YouTube and look for it people, now!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: December 07, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »
There's a promo with some audio from the album on facebook, sounds great from the clips

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1448 on: December 07, 2018, 08:14:28 AM »
First snippet was the same that was in the tour trailer from Alchemy, second one is a power metal song with Kiske and the third one sounds pretty great. Excited for this! :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1449 on: December 12, 2018, 08:08:15 AM »
Tonight at 21:00 in Europe Tobias will premiere on his radio show the new single - the ELEVEN MINUTES long "The Raven Child", with vocals from him, Hansi and Jorn, that will be released this Friday!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1450 on: December 12, 2018, 08:17:01 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: December 12, 2018, 08:17:37 AM »
 :metal damn that sounds epic

speaking of, I just purchased my ticket and damn was it expensive...

But I got a first row balcony ticket for the Worcester MA concert.  Looks like I got a road trip coming up in May.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1452 on: December 12, 2018, 08:21:26 AM »
But I got a first row balcony ticket for the Worcester MA concert.   

Ooh..I didn't know they were coming. Do we know who is touring in the band? The musicians? The vocalists?  KISKE???
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: December 12, 2018, 08:30:15 AM »
But I got a first row balcony ticket for the Worcester MA concert.   

Ooh..I didn't know they were coming. Do we know who is touring in the band? The musicians? The vocalists?  KISKE???

I'm not sure if it was announced but I'd imagine its the core crew including Kiske who usually tours with them.  But I was surprised I could just easily get that first row balcony ticket.  Go get one maybe youll get the seat next to me  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1454 on: December 12, 2018, 08:35:48 AM »
It should be: Tobias, Kiske, Geoff Tate, Jorn Lande, Eric Martin, Ronnie Atkins and Bob Catley, plus Amanda Sommerville on backing vocals.
Guitarists are Sascha Paeth and Oliver Hartmann.
Drummer is Felix from Edguy.
Bass player is a bass player.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1455 on: December 12, 2018, 08:49:26 AM »
It should be Kiske.....

Is anything official?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: December 12, 2018, 09:08:08 AM »
Yea I dont know if anything is official, you'd have to go through all his facebook posts to check because he mentions this stuff sometimes in a huge post but I'm too lazy to look.  But MirrorMask is likely correct.  Bob Catley was the only one who didn't perform in the US last year (and that was before Geoff had started performing with them).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1457 on: December 12, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »
Kiske is a deal breaker so I will have to do some research.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: December 12, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »
I saw someone post that Kiske might not be there because of his involvement in Helloween now, so definitely check out the information, Tim. Last two times I saw them, Kiske was on board, don't know if that's the case this time but I hope so.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1459 on: December 12, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »
Wow that would suck if he didn't do it, but I don't see any Helloween tour dates for 2019

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: December 12, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »
Wow that would suck if he didn't do it, but I don't see any Helloween tour dates for 2019

It wasn't official or anything, so that might be just someone shit-stirring. I can't imagine Avantasia on tour without Kiske.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1461 on: December 12, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »
Right, Cram, I went right to the Helloween page. Seems there are no tour dates and that they'll be working on a new album.

If any of my DTF friends social media would be willing to send a message or ask the question, I'd appreciate it. I have gone through Tobi's tweets from Avanatasia web site and ..nothing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1462 on: December 12, 2018, 04:00:22 PM »
I NEED TO KNOW!!!!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: December 12, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »
"The Raven Child" is... definitely a song. Just kinda chewing on it at the moment, not sure what I think yet.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: December 12, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »
"The Raven Child" is... definitely a song. Just kinda chewing on it at the moment, not sure what I think yet.

Is that good or bad?  :lol

Found it on youtube, maybe a leak? Listening now.

edit:

wow unbelievable song  :metal :metal :metal I love Jorn so much here and Hansi is as good as I expected. Audio is not great quality since I'm guessing this is a rip from the radio show.  Definitely looking forward to this even more and happy I got my ticket today.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:09:50 PM by cramx3 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: December 12, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »

Is that good or bad?  :lol

Found it on youtube, maybe a leak? Listening now.

It's probably the radio rip. In my opinion... not necessarily bad, just not memorable or noteworthy at all. Reminds me of The Mystery of Time, and it gave me the exact same feeling I had around Edguy's Age of the Joker: again, not necessarily bad but so far removed from the sound that I fell in love with that I'm just kinda left shrugging at this. Lately I've also grown far more critical of Tobi's Avantasia lyrics and there's not a single thing here that jumps out to me, it's just another word salad fiesta with a bunch of lines about waiting and not understanding and his mind and heart and seeing everything before his eyes etc: the now-quintessential Tobias Sammet rambling  :lol

Like the Metal Operas were concept albums and pretty corny admittedly but at least the lyrics kind of made sense in the context of a real story with actual characters. Most of the lyrics between The Scarecrow and this could be swapped and the songs would thematically remain every bit as enigmatic and meandering. (Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy it, it's silly fun, the last couple minutes with Jorn are like The Scarecrow but maybe not as good as that particularly awesome passage)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:17:15 PM by Kattelox »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: December 12, 2018, 05:13:05 PM »
I get a Mystery of Time vibe from this song too, fantastic album IMO

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1467 on: December 12, 2018, 05:30:41 PM »
I wonder if Hansi is touring with them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1468 on: December 12, 2018, 05:35:39 PM »
Listening to The Raven Child now. This song needs Bruce Dickinson. I like it!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: December 12, 2018, 05:36:35 PM »
I wonder if Hansi is touring with them.

I'd love it, but I doubt it.  He's got Demons and Wizards coming up plus I'm not sure how involved he is on this album to justify him touring it since he would probably have to then sing other parts for the older songs, although I think that would be so cool to see.