Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 210891 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Ghostlights - Jan 29!!
« Reply #1365 on: October 02, 2018, 05:31:06 AM »
I like the version of Mysteria with Mille. He's a much welcome addition IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v New album - Moonglow - Feb 1st!!
« Reply #1366 on: October 02, 2018, 10:23:49 AM »
Not-very-controversial opinion:  Black Orchid and Savoir in the Clockwork are two of Avantasia's best songs, and if there were a 10 foot tall :metal emoticon, I would post it right now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1367 on: October 02, 2018, 10:27:57 AM »
Not-very-controversial opinion:  Black Orchid and Savoir in the Clockwork are two of Avantasia's best songs, and if there were a 10 foot tall :metal emoticon, I would post it right now.

That... is super controversial imo. Ya'll new wave Avantasia fans trigger me so hard.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1368 on: October 02, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
I like Black Orchid a lot. Saviour in the Clockwork is definitely one of Avantasia's okayest songs.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: October 02, 2018, 10:34:12 AM »

Fan since The Scarecrow, I think both Black Orchid and Savior are their Top 10 songs, and Savior is actually Top 3. Love Biff on Avantasia.

Also I think TMOT is awesome and easily their best album since Scarecrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1370 on: October 02, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »
I must be taking crazy pills, or you all are. Savior's got arguably some of the worst lyrics in Avantasia's entire catalog! Half of them don't even say anything!

(Again, nothing wrong if anyone likes the song, I'm just baffled by the love for that album in particular with its dreadful lyrics being a huge sticking point)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1371 on: October 02, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
They're crazily fun to sing in the shower because of how nonsensical they are though. I think I know all the lyrics from TMOT by heart.

I don't know, the album just works for me. Unlike Ghostlights, which I thought was very formulaic and safe. For some reason I think Moonglow will be more in the same vein and I hope to be proven wrong.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1372 on: October 02, 2018, 11:13:17 AM »
That seems crazy, Mystery of Time feels like autopilot Avantasia to me. Whereas Ghostlights was really interesting and diverse. It helps that Ghostlights has (mostly) great singers where TMOT had a lot of fairly milquetoast vocalists, but I just think the compositions on Ghostlights were way more inspired. And I assume Tobi feels the same way, based on how he seemingly has no interest in the story of TMOT anymore.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1373 on: October 02, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »
Interesting take.  For me, TMOT sounds fresh and fun whereas Ghostlights feels uninspired and just "following the formula."  Not trying to bash Ghostlights.  But it has always just felt like a lesser work to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1374 on: October 02, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
I'm siding with Bosk and Evermind with this..

Ghostlights is good, but it feels like Tobi is going through the motions a little bit with that album. Still good songs there, but it feels like run of the mill Avantasia. Meanwhile TMOT felt like a breath of fresh air after The Wicked Symphony and Angel of Babylon, the latter of which felt very lackluster apart from the opening track "Stargazers".

Offline 425

« Reply #1375 on: October 02, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »
I think bosk and Evermind are right that TMOT feels less formulaic, but I'm with Shadow in liking Ghostlights better because I believe the songwriting is, on the whole, stronger.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: October 02, 2018, 01:59:41 PM »
I think bosk and Evermind are right that TMOT feels less formulaic, but I'm with Shadow in liking Ghostlights better because I believe the songwriting is, on the whole, stronger.

Yea, I would say they just one upped TMOT with Ghostlights.  Both feel very similar, but Ghostlights has the better group of songs overall but it's close.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: October 02, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »

I never really understood the love for Black Orchid.  Clockwork on the other hand is fabulous.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1378 on: October 03, 2018, 02:34:16 AM »
Big fan of Black Orchid. Clockwork is pretty good but not great.

I try not to pay too much attention to Avantasia lyrics. They have a few odd ones for sure. "They put a spoke right in your wheel" is something that always sticks out to me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1379 on: October 03, 2018, 07:02:38 AM »
IMO, TMOT is more consistent; Ghostlights' highs are higher, but the lows are also lower.  That said, I give the edge to Ghostlights.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1380 on: October 11, 2018, 08:04:19 AM »
AAAAAND after Vain Glory Opera, Hansi Kursch teams up again with Tobi!!! he's gonna star on Moonglow!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: October 11, 2018, 08:10:59 AM »
AAAAAND after Vain Glory Opera, Hansi Kursch teams up again with Tobi!!! he's gonna star on Moonglow!  :metal

Wow, now that is an awesome guest  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1382 on: October 11, 2018, 08:16:54 AM »
Who?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1383 on: October 11, 2018, 08:23:50 AM »
Blind Guardian's singer.

Don't know Blind Guardian? Listen to Imaginations from the Other side NOW  :metal  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: October 11, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »
That's great!

I wonder which guests would end up on one track only and which will be singing throughout the album. What I hope to hear on Moonglow is more interaction between the guests and fewer songs with "Tobi sings the first verse, guest singer sings the second verse, they both sing on the chorus" formula. Not sure this will happen except for the longer track (tracks?), but I'm pretty sure there will be enough stuff to like anyway.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: October 11, 2018, 10:33:45 AM »
That's great!

I wonder which guests would end up on one track only and which will be singing throughout the album. What I hope to hear on Moonglow is more interaction between the guests and fewer songs with "Tobi sings the first verse, guest singer sings the second verse, they both sing on the chorus" formula. Not sure this will happen except for the longer track (tracks?), but I'm pretty sure there will be enough stuff to like anyway.

In the facebook post, Tobi said "songs" when referring to Hansi so we can assume more than one for him, but not sure about the others.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1388 on: October 11, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
GREAT addition. Shaping up to be an incredible line-up. Hope the music and performances do the cast justice. I am sure it all will.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1389 on: October 11, 2018, 03:48:45 PM »
Great to hear Hansi is on several songs (since Tobi applied the word "songs"). His vocals work incredibly well for the genre. Candice Night is such a beautiful voice too, but I agree with others in hoping it is not just on the mandatory ballad. For the male vocalists I feel Tobi usually manages to get a surprising/top notch performance, whereas a lot of the female vocals tend to be more of the expected. Anyways, looks like we are getting a cool lineup!

That's great!

I agree. It is one of the major shakeups he could do to make the new album feel fresher.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:55:25 PM by ErHaO »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: October 12, 2018, 05:42:46 AM »
Hansi is a most welcome guest.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: October 12, 2018, 07:02:48 AM »

TRACKLIST AND ALBUM COVER OF NEW ALBUM MOONGLOW REVEALED!

Here is the official press release of The record label:

The wait is finally over! Tobias Sammet is pleased to announce the release of the upcoming AVANTASIA masterpiece »Moonglow« on February 1, 2019 through Nuclear Blast. Comprising 11 tracks, the new opus once again features several guest vocalists. This time round, Tobias worked not only with well-known faces such as Ronnie Atkins, Jørn Lande, Eric Martin, Geoff Tate, Michael Kiske or Bob Catley but also with new singers like Candice Night, Hansi Kürsch as well as Mille Petrozza who help to vitalize the new AVANTASIA record. Its cover artwork was created by Alexander Jansson.

Comments Tobias Sammet, "It's alive! After more than two years of hard work - and what felt like 71 overnight shifts back to back recently - we're ready to unleash »Moonglow« upon the universe. I believe it's the most adorned and detailed album we've ever produced. Not over ambitious, but there is a lot of love for detail in there. AVANTASIA is the ultimate playground for a musician's wildest fantasies to come true: Celtic elements, world music elements, big choirs, atmopsheric stuff, amazing guest vocal performances and of course all that wrapped up in what I consider to be the typical AVANTASIA sound. Someone in the music business just told me that the embellished nature of the sound makes it hard to market it, it doesn't fit in the contemporary musical landscape and "if you take a look around, no one really sounds like that." - EXACTLY! THANK YOU! I can't wait to release »Moonglow«, take my friends of the AVANTASIA family and hit the road for the big »Moonglow World Tour«."

»Moonglow« - Track Listing:

01. Ghost In The Moon
02. Book Of Shallows
03. Moonglow
04. The Raven Child
05. Starlight
06. Invincible
07. Alchemy
08. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
09. Lavender
10. Requiem For A Dream
11. Maniac
Bonus Track
12. Heart

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1392 on: October 12, 2018, 07:07:34 AM »
Diggin' the artwork!

Hope the album is everything Tobi is drumming it up to be..

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1393 on: October 12, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »
Cool artwork indeed! My favourite cover artwork of Avantasia is Mystery of Time. But I like this one a lot too.

Too bad Avantasia seems to have no love for the Netherlands (not enough fans here?), would love to catch them on tour but I don't think I will travel to see them.

Diggin' the artwork!

Hope the album is everything Tobi is drumming it up to be..

I don't follow him in interviews/social media, but isn't it normal for artists to hype up their newest work? Anyways, I absolutely love Ghoslights so anything of similar quality would be awesome.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: October 12, 2018, 09:26:21 AM »
Cool artwork indeed! My favourite cover artwork of Avantasia is Mystery of Time. But I like this one a lot too.

Too bad Avantasia seems to have no love for the Netherlands (not enough fans here?), would love to catch them on tour but I don't think I will travel to see them.

I saw Tobi posting on FB there will be no Netherlands shows because one of the German shows (or was it Belgium?) is very close to Netherlands and his promoters don't think there's a profit to play Netherlands because of that. He recommended you guys to travel to that German show (I don't remember which one and I suck at geography).

The artwork is fantastic! I'm going for the artbook/boxset if they will have it on pre-orders.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1395 on: October 12, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »
In my LIMITED experience with Avantasia/Tobi, he seems to ALWAYS plug his latest work as the best yet and  nothing less than a gift to all humanity.  :lol  And that's fine.  I find him to be a bit cocky in that regard, but not in a way that is offputting--more just being confident in his work and being a good salesman.  And the thing I have found in listening to his work is that, even if it doesn't fit my tastes and I don't like it, it is almost all undeniably well-crafted.  Based on his track record, I am confident this will be no exception. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1396 on: October 12, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »
He gives me the idea of having the enthusiasm of a kid, which may translate into giving the idea of the same old "My latest work is my best-est ever blah blah blah". He's truly passionate about his craft, he doesn't want us to believe he created a masterpiece - he's convinced in good faith of having done one.

Anyway, I love the album artwork and I'm giddy about this upcoming release :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: October 12, 2018, 12:50:22 PM »
While I follow him on facebook and agree he can be a bit cocky, he hasn't really ever pushed the limit in my eyes to the point where he is just annoying or too much.  He seems to hit the sweet spot of being cocky without being an asshole.  Also "I believe it's the most adorned and detailed album we've ever produced. Not over ambitious, but there is a lot of love for detail in there. " isn't really that bad of professing how good the new album is.  Many bands are much worse than that statement.

but the reality, I think he's earned it.  His track record with Avantasia has been fantastic and he's got a lot of reasons to be happy with his work.  I have faith that it will be a pretty awesome album.  Maybe not their best, but I really doubt it will be a clunker.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1398 on: October 12, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »
Now, time to play who's who - who do you think will get which song(s)?

Candice Night might get Lavender.
I hope Hansi is the piper at the gates of dawn is calling you its way (sorry, got carried away).
Maybe the success of Lucifer inspired Tobi to give another somber ballad to Jorn Lande - Requiem for a Dream maybe?
Mille Petrozza could be either the Raven Child or Invincible.
Ghost in the Moon if Tobi follows tradition is a song with either just him, or limited partecipation from others, which he can sing solo as a concert opener.
Another habit of Tobi is having the bigass epic as track #2, so maybe Book of Shallows gets a lot of singers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1399 on: October 12, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
The cover looks great. It's a Release Day purchase.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol