Author Topic: Nothing in Writing (new project from ex-Odd Logic)  (Read 1042 times)

Offline jammindude

Nothing in Writing (new project from ex-Odd Logic)
« on: August 07, 2022, 09:14:23 PM »
Don't ask me the reasons, because I don't really know.   

But Sean Thompson...the leader of Odd Logic...has put that project on hiatus and teamed up with Dan Blackson on drums and delivered a new project in a slightly more melodic/neo-progressive vein.

To my ears, it sounds *A LOT* like the first Odd Logic album Parallax Panorama, which is not a bad thing.  I always thought Sean had a great sense of melody.

I'm just giving it my first listen right now, and I absolutely love it.   I highly recommend it.  I hope you guys will consider supporting this project.   

The album is called New Lives for Rent and is available for $10 as a FLAC download here.

https://nothinginwriting.bandcamp.com/album/new-lives-for-rent

The physical CD's were supposed to come out first, but there was a delay due to a manufacturer error.   But if you still like CD's, you can order them via PayPal by contacting the band at NiWBand@mail.com and I believe the physical copies are also just $10 which includes free shipping if you live in the USA. 

The bands FB page is here: https://www.facebook.com/NiWband

It is less "metal" than the last two Odd Logic releases.   If I had to compare it to anything (I'm only 4 tracks in as we speak) it sounds like Sean is **REALLY** wearing his Enchant influence on his sleeve.     Enchant is one of his favorite bands, and we hit it off when I told him I thought he sounded like Ted Leonard.    He was so shocked that I even knew who that was that we became instant friends.   LOL

Anyway....PLEASE check these guys out.   Even though it's more neo-prog rock, I'm still totally digging it. 

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Nothing in Writing (new project from ex-Odd Logic)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 09:54:31 PM »
Is John Mitchell a part of this project too? :biggrin:

I only ask because he seems to have his fingers in every Neo-Prog project these days.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 11:57:02 AM »
Not familiar with him, but I’ll have to check him out since I’m digging more and more neo-prog lately.

I just got through my first spin, and I’m doubling down on the take that this is the best Enchant album you’ve never heard.

Maybe I’ll type up a full detailed review later this week once it has sunk in a bit more.

Offline jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 02:52:15 AM »
This album is fantastic, and I do agree that the Enchant influence isn't being shy. I love it regardless. This album takes everything I like about Odd Logic and amplifies it times ten.

I'd have to say, I am really enjoying Still Believe. Home Again, The Last Goodbye, and Here and Alive are amazing too.

I just wish Here and Alive didn't end on the fade-out. It ends to early and that ending deserves to last another minute, at least.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 05:46:26 PM »
Just popping in this thread to say this album is great! Thanks for the rec, jdude!

Definitely agree on the Enchant influence...btw, I love Enchant, but I have to say I've enjoyed this one better than their last couple of albums. VERY strong melodies, and the playing/singing is so tasteful, all around.

Can hear some King's X too...especially on The Getaway, but generally in some of the vocal lines/harmonies.

Good stuff!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 09:17:15 PM »
Nick you seriously made my day.  It’s hard when you find something that’s you believe is truly album of the year material, and you feel like it just can’t seem to get an audience.

And I get it. Because tastes and all. Because I usually try to check out new stuff that people post around here. Some of it I think is really great. Others not so much. But I at least try to give things a spin.

Now that we’re heading into 2023, I find myself desperately looking for the next OMG THESE GUYS band. Because I tend to find one per decade. But I just have to keep searching and let things happen naturally.

But I absolutely LOVE this album. Anyone who loves KX and Enchant would absolutely love this album!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 09:56:21 PM »
I meant to give this a good listen back when you first posted it and it slipped off my radar. Glad this got bumped so I can give it another go.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 10:11:16 PM »
Not kidding…I’ve been seriously toying with the idea of putting up $50 and buying 5 copies for the first 5 takers with 3 conditions.  1. You must be a fan of this style of prog. 2. You promise to give the album at least 5 spins. 3) If you really really love it, you have to pay it forward, and spend $10 to buy it for someone else that you’re sure will love it.

I have that much faith in this album.

Offline HOF

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 10:54:00 PM »
Not kidding…I’ve been seriously toying with the idea of putting up $50 and buying 5 copies for the first 5 takers with 3 conditions.  1. You must be a fan of this style of prog. 2. You promise to give the album at least 5 spins. 3) If you really really love it, you have to pay it forward, and spend $10 to buy it for someone else that you’re sure will love it.

Already went ahead and bought the download off that first listen. Good stuff!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 10:56:04 PM »

Already went ahead and bought the download off that first listen. Good stuff!

I love you, man!  :metal :metal :metal