Author Topic: The Way it Used to Be  (Read 9184 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
The Way it Used to Be
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:30:15 PM »
Interesting.  Though I think I have this at the shop, I'd never actually listened to it until now.  At first, I completely understood why.  I probably tried to listen to it once or twice and turned it off exclaiming loudly that it was total shit.  This time around, I was contemplating starting a thread where I discussed how much I fucking hate when DT tries to sound like U21.  While composing that post, the song continued playing, and it turns out that after the first 2 minutes is over, it's actually a good song.  Once they get out of the U2 mold and start doing their own thing, it gets better and better.  It seems like the entire song is linear.  It just evolves from beginning to end with no section being dominant or repeating.  It's a shame it didn't get more treatment.

1To be fair, I'm not sure it was as much U2 as A Momentary Lapse of Reason era Floyd, but as it turns out, there isn't really any difference.

Regardless, when I get some time tomorrow I'm going to listen to the entire 2 disk set and see what else I've overlooked.  After reading MP's thoughts on FiI, I'm not sure I agree with him about some of it.  BMS-HK-LitS is monumental, and I gather that never would have existed.  It'll be interesting to compare his idea and the finished product. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ddtonfire

Re: The Way it Used to Be
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
I have always enjoyed this song. DT really can do anything.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23:29 PM »

At the end of the day, I think that's what we all think of DT.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:43 PM »

At the end of the day, I think that's what we all think of DT.

Cue group hug in 3.. 2.. 1..

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:39:11 PM »
not one of my favorite songs, but a breath of fresh air

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »
Great song, shame it gets overlooked so often. JP's solo at the end is amazing.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 04:25:54 AM »
This, I wish they would bring it back into rotation on tour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 05:54:46 AM »

It's not metal enough; it haz no ballz.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 07:21:34 AM »
1To be fair, I'm not sure it was as much U2 as A Momentary Lapse of Reason era Floyd, but as it turns out, there isn't really any difference.

Huh?  I am gonna need you to unwrap that one a little more, please. ;)

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:53:17 AM »
Love this tune!

I'd say it's progressive rock.

MP doesn't overplay the skins which is a plus!

Good song for a...

MONTAGE!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 09:39:05 AM »

Back on tour? I didn’t know it ever was on tour.

It is a decent B-Side, but I can see why it didn’t make the cut, and I don’t see any reason it needs to be played live.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 09:48:26 AM »
Edit: I got confused with which song we were talking about.

I don't listen too much about it, but I do hear the U2 vibe.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:01:31 AM by emindead »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »

Huh?  I am gonna need you to unwrap that one a little more, please. ;)

While I wouldn't go as far as saying there is almost no difference, I can definitely understand the comparison.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »
Eh, I kinda like when DT tries to sound like U2. Better than when DT tries to sound like Meshuggah, anyway. *runs*

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »

Huh?  I am gonna need you to unwrap that one a little more, please. ;)

While I wouldn't go as far as saying there is almost no difference, I can definitely understand the comparison.
Painting with too broad a stroke, I suppose.  However, listen to the first 2 minutes of TWiUtB, and try to figure out if it sounds more like generic U2, or any number of songs from post Waters era Pink Floyd.  Remarkable similarity.

As for the solo, I like the way it ends, but don't care for the beginning of it at all.  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:08:12 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:46:03 PM »
Eh, I kinda like when DT tries to sound like U2. Better than when DT tries to sound like Meshuggah, anyway. *runs*
I'm waiting for them to perfectly fuse the two in the next album.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 01:31:12 PM »
From what I remember, this song is very fun and good.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 06:48:22 PM »
If U2 made the song (at least the beginning) it'd be a bonafide hit. I've always liked the song regardless though.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 07:05:18 PM »

It is a decent B-Side, but I can see why it didn’t make the cut, and I don’t see any reason it needs to be played live.

The jam at the end is why it needs to be played live. That one bend up to a G JP does halfway through would provoke some pretty cool faces from him if it was played live.
It is a really cool song; something completely different from them, which works very well from time to time.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »
Call me crazy, but I just cannot wrap my head around the idea that U2 and A Momentary Lapse of Reason sound similar (assuming I am interpreting that correctly). ???

Oh, and the keyboard solo in this song is totally Camel-esque (given the keyboard tone and style, not the actual melody).  I remember thinking that the first time I heard this song. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »
Everytime somebody does a staccto, muted picking wirh delay & reverb it's U2ish. Well I guess that's Edge's signature sound but Come on!!!!  Good song that, to me wasn't fully flushed out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline xeper

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »
One of my favorite DT rarities, definitely something different for them. Tracks like this are why I'm grateful for the official bootleg series.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 07:08:28 AM »
I would have gladly traded Anna Lee or Take Away My Pain for it to be on the CD.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 10:34:08 AM »

It was played live twice on the third European leg of the FII tour (the Rotterdam Fan Club show and the show from La Bataclan in Paris recorded for Once In A LIVEtime) and 5 times on the "Intimate Evening With Dream Theater" shows in December 1998.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 03:00:41 PM »
Interesting.  Though I think I have this at the shop, I'd never actually listened to it until now.  At first, I completely understood why.  I probably tried to listen to it once or twice and turned it off exclaiming loudly that it was total shit.  This time around, I was contemplating starting a thread where I discussed how much I fucking hate when DT tries to sound like U21.  While composing that post, the song continued playing, and it turns out that after the first 2 minutes is over, it's actually a good song.  Once they get out of the U2 mold and start doing their own thing, it gets better and better.  It seems like the entire song is linear.  It just evolves from beginning to end with no section being dominant or repeating.  It's a shame it didn't get more treatment.

Regardless, when I get some time tomorrow I'm going to listen to the entire 2 disk set and see what else I've overlooked.  After reading MP's thoughts on FiI, I'm not sure I agree with him about some of it.  BMS-HK-LitS is monumental, and I gather that never would have existed.  It'll be interesting to compare his idea and the finished product. 

I agree that BMS-HK-LiTS is monumental and glad we got that.

I rather enjoyed The Way it Used to Be on first listen, however. I totally hear the U2 vibe, but to me, it's a nice change of pace. The song breathes (as do many of the songs on FII), which in this fan's opinion, is something we need more of.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline 02T

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
It seems like the entire song is linear.  It just evolves from beginning to end with no section being dominant or repeating.  It's a shame it didn't get more treatment.

It's called "through composed" where a song doesn't repeat choruses or verse forms.  Common in classical music.  Not a problem with the song.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »
It seems like the entire song is linear.  It just evolves from beginning to end with no section being dominant or repeating.  It's a shame it didn't get more treatment.

It's called "through composed" where a song doesn't repeat choruses or verse forms.  Common in classical music.  Not a problem with the song.
I wasn't suggesting it was a problem with the song.  It's precisely what I like about it.  I lament that they didn't decide to keep the song and really turn it into something badass.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 09:21:50 AM »
I get way more of a Floyd vibe than U2.  The verses distinctly remind me of Run Like Hell (JM is doing a dead-on Waters impression for most of it), and the guitar solo seems to be a direct reference to later Gilmour.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 12:01:23 PM »
not one of my favorite songs, but a breath of fresh air

I agree.

I definitely don't pick up a Pink Floyd vibe in this song. And it's not as U2ish as Speak To Me. It's a B-side all the way.

And Bart..excellent use of a footnote!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 04:32:30 AM »
[
[/quote]It was played live twice on the third European leg of the FII tour (the Rotterdam Fan Club show and the show from La Bataclan in Paris recorded for Once In A LIVEtime) and 5 times on the "Intimate Evening With Dream Theater" shows in December 1998.
[/quote]

I saw it live at Toad's Place on the Evening With leg.  Same night they played Where Are You Now for the first time.

Offline PC269

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 06:56:24 PM »
How do I acquire this song?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 05:30:03 AM »
I've been listening to Cleaning Out the Closet a lot recently, and this track has moved up to my second favourite behind Raise the Knife. Great tune.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 05:54:14 AM »
Another song that should have been on FII instead of some of the utter dreck that plagues that album (I'm looking at you, Burning My Soul)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 06:47:36 AM »
I've been listening to Cleaning Out the Closet a lot recently, and this track has moved up to my second favourite behind Raise the Knife. Great tune.
This.

Another song that should have been on FII instead of some of the utter dreck that plagues that album
And this. Although I wouldn't say utter dreck, but songs that aren't nearly as awesome as The Way it used to be. I adore this song from start to finish. Top 50 material for sure.