Author Topic: 2010-07-12 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY  (Read 20228 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: 2010-07-12 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2010, 12:00:57 AM »
Woah, that's crazy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2010, 12:32:18 AM »
I just got back, and it was an awesome show. I was on the lookout for you guys but I didn't see anyone. I did see Kyle (Dark Master Of Sin) though which was cool. I also ended up with three shirts (two Iron Maiden and one Dream Theater), but that's a long and I'm tired.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2010, 06:26:40 AM »
Just got back.. too bad I couldn't see any of you guys but I did have the time of my life and would easily say it was one of (if not the) best concert I've ever been to.

EDIT: Also in case you guys don't know, someone fell off the escalator as we were leaving and I'm pretty sure that he died. We couldn't figure out if he jumped or if he was pushed but I highly doubt he survived. We all heard the thud and then after about 5 minutes when we finally got down the stairs (massive crowds plus rubberneckers = people traffic) he still wasn't moving. He appeared to have landed face first and his feet were in all crooked angles that indicate that at the very least he broke his legs and probably his ribs (considering he landing face first) =/
Wow!  Hope the guy did survive.  Which tower  (A, B, C, D) did this happen in?  There were some really hammered guys in my section (208) that were briefly taken out of the arena by security, then came back.  One of them hopped over the railing and collapsed into the seats.  The other guy was pissed off the whole time and giving both middle fingers to Maiden for a good 20 minutes screaming "f*ck you!  play seventh son!"  With how drunk they were, I wouldn't be surprised if the night ended badly for one of them.  Of course, that's not me wishing anything bad upon them.

And, by the way, am I the only one who feels Janick is about as useful as t*ts on a bull?  I find him to be totally distracting with the way he prances around the stage and "plays" his guitar by hitting it with his guitar chord.  Half the time it looked like he was strumming his guitar a half beat earlier than he should've been.  I know he contributed to a handful of Maiden albums while Adrian was gone.  But, I think it's time to go back to a 5-piece.

Dream Theater did kick *ss last night by the way!  Petrucci appeared way more animated on stage than I can ever remember him being.  I know I must've be mistaken, but I could've sworn he gave "the horns" during ARoP.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2010, 06:59:07 AM »
It was in Tower D, and the only people that were around him were the Security Guards that were nearby, I'm assuming they were waiting for paramedics/ambulance. Everyone else was kind of watching and then when enough time went by where he wasn't moving at all (or breathing from what I could tell) people just started walking again.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2010, 07:01:42 AM »
And, by the way, am I the only one who feels Janick is about as useful as t*ts on a bull?  I find him to be totally distracting with the way he prances around the stage and "plays" his guitar by hitting it with his guitar chord.  Half the time it looked like he was strumming his guitar a half beat earlier than he should've been.  I know he contributed to a handful of Maiden albums while Adrian was gone.  But, I think it's time to go back to a 5-piece.

Jannick is very important to to the chemistry and equilibrium of this band. This is a very happy band in a very happy place. Their output over the last 10 years has been outstanding. They are better than ever. Do not underestimate what he brings to the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »
Jannick is very important to to the chemistry and equilibrium of this band. This is a very happy band in a very happy place. Their output over the last 10 years has been outstanding. They are better than ever. Do not underestimate what he brings to the band.
He's written some fantastic songs in the last 10 years, and I absolutely love his stage presence. And the band realizes that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2010, 10:15:38 AM »
Jannick definitely brings stage presence and good writing to the band, and I think it would be perfect if they had him on stage, but muted his guitar through most of the show (seeing as how they often only have 2 parts going anyway), turning him on for parts and solos here and there. :lol
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2010, 11:07:33 AM »
Holy shit, any word on that guy? I haven't seen anything listed on any websites yet.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2010, 11:11:53 AM »

I'm not gonna argue the fact that they've put out some really good stuff with this Brave New World era band.  Nor am I gonna say that I'm an authority on Maiden.  I love the earlier stuff, love BNW and am okay with the stuff since then.  All I'm saying is, on the surface, I don't really know what he brings.  He's co-wrote 11 of the 41 songs (some pretty good, some meh) since Bruce and Adrian came back.  And, his solos are fine.  But, to see him parade around the stage like a wandering minstrel, doing helicopters with his guitar, whipping his guitar cord at it... i find him more annoying than anything.  And, more often you see Steve, Adrian and Dave together on the stage with Janick off on the other side.  

The other five guys seem to like him just fine.  So, who am I to complain?!?  I just wish I could stop myself from constantly going back to him on stage.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »
"Fear Of The Dark" was exceptionally awesome last night :birch:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
I have to say that this is one of the most energetic performances from DT I have ever seen. You could tell the band was just soaking up the vibe of MSG. The Maiden fans gave them a pretty great reaction, and the venue was surprisingly full for most of their set.

Maiden was also great. Never saw Maiden before, so I was surprised at how much energy THEY had. I felt the crowd wasn't really digging the newer material.... namely the stuff of AMOLAD and a song or two off Dance of Death. But for me, the highlights were Dance of Death and Hallowed Be Thy Name

Too bad I couldn't meet any of you, but I couldn't get onto the forum since I was temp banned, so I wasn't able to coordinate any preshow stuff. I looked out for you guys in the venue, but that place was so huge, I don't think there was any chance I'd meet any of you. :lol Going to New York City alone was really stressful, but also really cool. I'm glad I went, because it was definitely worth the trip.

I also just wanna say that there were a LOT of hot girls there. I don't think I've ever seen so many attractive females at a concert before... usually its a sausage fest or it's just really older women trying to dress like they are still 20.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2010, 04:47:17 PM »
Just posted this in the Iron Maiden thread:

So here's my little story review about the show last night at Madison Square Garden. SPOILERS IN CASE ANYONE CARES

So we get to the parking garage, park, walk to the venue, are walking up the small outside steps, when I realize something... I don't have the tickets in my hand. I immediately was  :omg:  and  :censored . I had left them on the counter of the parking garage window. Now mind you, the only paper I had to print them out on was BRIGHT FUCKING ORANGE. I freaked out and literally ran as fast I could possibly run, running into people, jumping over small children, literally dodging cars... through the streets of crowded-as-fuck New York City. As you know, the tickets work on a first-scan basis, so anyone could've picked them up and said "Cool, let's go see if we can get in!" I was literally having a breakdown. So I bolt across the street, almost getting hit by a taxi, run up to the office window and start banging on it for them to open it, and when they do, I glance down and see them right where I had left them. Phew, was that a relief.

So we get into the venue, and get on line for merchandise. I had been looking forward to getting the Dream Theater shield tour shirt, and the NY event shirt. After waiting for about ten minutes, we're almost to the front, and I realize that there's a sign on the event shirt that says "2XL-3XL", so I go to the stand on the other side, risking my spot in line. I got to the other stand, and see that they don't even have the event shirt at all anymore. At this point, I started getting disappointed, because I really wanted that shirt. So I wait in line to salvage the opportunity and get the DT shirt. So the guy in front of me finally gets to the front, and asks for the DT shirt... and the salesguy takes the shirt off the wall, which is followed by about half the people line going "Shit, I wanted that one!" (including me). So now 0/2 for shirts, I decide to settle for the alien USA tour shirt, and reluctantly give the salesguy $35.

Then we go find our seats, which were not nearly as bad as I'd heard they'd be from friends and the 3D seating chart. So then we decide to walk around and explore. While walking, my friend glances into a window and sees the DT shirt I wanted, so we stop there and they don't have it in medium, but they do have the event shirt, so I got that, and was quite happy. So we keep walking around, see another stand, and sure enough they had the DT shirt, so I got that and was really happy. But wait... I don't have the tickets! It turns out that I left them on the counter of one of the merchandise stands, so of course I rush through the halls searching for the stand that I could've left them at. I find them, and return to our seats to hear Bigelf playing over the PA, soon followed by Dream Theater's awesome set (all the while keeping an eye out for DTFers, which were nowhere to be found  :sadpanda:).

A few little cool things that happened: I think James LaBrie mentioned John Petrucci's birthday, and during the "Panic Attack" chorus ("Is it something to do with where I come from") Mike Portnoy immediately follows James' line by "I come from Long Island!", which I thought was funny. Towards the end, Dark Master Of Sin shows up, so we shake hands and then finish watching the set (he was two rows in front of me). We then walk around during the break while DMOS searches for a merch stand with us so he can get a shirt.

Now onto Iron Maiden... all I can say was the intro was epic as fuck, and "The Wicker Man" was one of the songs I really hoped they'd play, so I was ecstatic (although Bruce's microphone seemed to be having issues), followed by "Ghost Of The Navigator" which was equally awesome. The light show for every song was awesome, but standout songs (as far as the performance, light show, crowd participation, etc... included) were "Wrathchild", "Fear Of The Dark", "Wildest Dreams", "No More Lies", "The Number Of The Beast" (I was surprised there were no pyrotechnics), and "Running Free". Oh yeah and I smelled soooooo much weed, that I got a contact buzz just from breathing. Also, Bruce's speeches/conversations were awesome and funny. Especially awesome was the whole Ronnie James Dio dedication and speech.

Now onto random little things:

-$5 FOR A WATER IS FUCKING INSANE
-As far as I could tell, there weren't any seats that were too bad. I was very happy with mine (Section 301)
-I don't think it's possible for Janick to drop his guitar
-Madison Square Garden is stupid for their limitations on playing after 11:00
-I was very surprised (but not too disappointed) that they didn't play "Run To The Hills" and "The Trooper", although I was looking forward to hearing twenty-thousand people sing the chorus of "RTTH"

Overall, I'd say a bit better than when I saw them on the Somewhere Back In Time tour (I only saw four overlapping songs, so that was cool to hear songs for the first time live). And that's saying a lot, because they were near flawless back in 2008.

And where did the other DTFers meet? I know you guys were thinking of meeting at the food court, but I searched and didn't see anyone I knew. Also, walking out of the venue, there was a homeless guy with a sign that read "Why would I lie? I need a beer", and I cracked up (some people did give him money).

Yeah so I guess that was kinda long, but it was a really awesome night overall. :birch: :birch:

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2010, 06:02:21 PM »
I just watched some clips from the show last night.

Everyone sounded awesome! LaBrie was taking numbers.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2010, 08:51:07 AM »
So we get into the venue, and get on line for merchandise. I had been looking forward to getting the Dream Theater shield tour shirt, and the NY event shirt. After waiting for about ten minutes, we're almost to the front, and I realize that there's a sign on the event shirt that says "2XL-3XL", so I go to the stand on the other side, risking my spot in line. I got to the other stand, and see that they don't even have the event shirt at all anymore. At this point, I started getting disappointed, because I really wanted that shirt. So I wait in line to salvage the opportunity and get the DT shirt. So the guy in front of me finally gets to the front, and asks for the DT shirt... and the salesguy takes the shirt off the wall, which is followed by about half the people line going "Shit, I wanted that one!" (including me). So now 0/2 for shirts, I decide to settle for the alien USA tour shirt, and reluctantly give the salesguy $35.

I think I may have scored your shirt. I got to the line, asked for a 3x in the Maiden MSG-specific shirt (which has Dream Theater on it, which I think is real cool) and the DT shield shirt. I asked for a 3x, all sold out at that point. Asked for a 2X, which the guy at first said was sold out and then was told by one of the other clerks that a 2X was hanging up, so I got that one.

Agree with all the positive reviews of the show. Both bands were on fire last night. I for one LOVED Maiden's set lsit. Having not seen them on the DoD or AMoLaD tours, it was great to hear songs from those albums live.

Great show overall...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2010, 08:57:48 AM »
Can someone post what the event shirt looks like?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »
Can someone post what the event shirt looks like?

If you go to the shop at www.ironmaiden.com, there is a picture of the NYC event shirt there...

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »

I think I may have scored your shirt. I got to the line, asked for a 3x in the Maiden MSG-specific shirt (which has Dream Theater on it, which I think is real cool) and the DT shield shirt. I asked for a 3x, all sold out at that point. Asked for a 2X, which the guy at first said was sold out and then was told by one of the other clerks that a 2X was hanging up, so I got that one.

Agree with all the positive reviews of the show. Both bands were on fire last night. I for one LOVED Maiden's set lsit. Having not seen them on the DoD or AMoLaD tours, it was great to hear songs from those albums live.

Great show overall...
I saw two people wearing a tour shirt that had both Maiden and DT on it... is that the shirt you're talking about? I didn't see that at any stands, and was wondering where people got them.

Offline John94

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2010, 11:07:39 AM »
Anyone else have a small feeling this show could end up on YtseJam?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2010, 11:19:10 AM »
I was thinking fan club myself.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »

Great show overall...
I saw two people wearing a tour shirt that had both Maiden and DT on it... is that the shirt you're talking about? I didn't see that at any stands, and was wondering where people got them.

I am talking about the official Maiden "event" shirt that was specific to MSG (Eddie driving the taxi). If you look on the MSG in the background, there is a banner hanging on the venue that is essentially the artwork of the tour advertising and it has on it "with Very Special Guests Dream Theater." I thought it was cool that it was there, however small it is, especially since there was no MSG-specific DT shirt...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »

Chances are, what you saw was a bootleg T-shirt (not official band merch).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
I saw a number of "your" shirts scotty

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2010, 03:06:07 PM »

Great show overall...

I am talking about the official Maiden "event" shirt that was specific to MSG (Eddie driving the taxi). If you look on the MSG in the background, there is a banner hanging on the venue that is essentially the artwork of the tour advertising and it has on it "with Very Special Guests Dream Theater." I thought it was cool that it was there, however small it is, especially since there was no MSG-specific DT shirt...
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. I have that one (the NY event shirt), the alien USA tour shirt, and the DT shield shirt. I haven't worn the DT one yet, but I have really come to love the alien one. And I had to get the event shirt just because it's an event shirt, and I don't find it too appealing, but I still like it. I love the DT shield one, and I'll probably wear it on the first day of school this year, as it is much 'nicer' and more 'dressy' (if that's possible) as normal concert tees.

Chances are, what you saw was a bootleg T-shirt (not official band merch).
I was thinking that, but it looked very professionally done. I did, however, see a cool Iron Theater run of shirts that a group of people were wearing. Nothing special though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »
NY and NJ shows are up on Dime!

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2010, 04:27:36 PM »
very cool video from that show - PMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riGE7HUrmIY

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »
that was a great video...jlb seemed more animated than usual

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »
Link? I barely know what that is.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2010, 08:09:08 AM »
Dimeadozen.org   you need to register for the site...its a torrent site of bootlegs only...no officially released music is allowed
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Concert Review: July 12, 2010, Iron Maiden & Dream Theater live at MSG
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2010, 09:04:45 AM »
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place for a concert review (The Review section doesn't have Concerts in its allocations) so I figured I'd post it in here. If it's in the wrong spot feel free to move it, mods. Anyways, here we go..

On July 12, me and two of my friends hopped on a train to leave for what we knew would be one of the best shows of our lives. Seeing Dream Theater (my favorite band) open up for one of my newer favorite bands (Iron Maiden) would surely be a show to remember. Upon arriving in the city we decided to toast the occasion by heading to the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square. After checking out some of the awesome paraphernalia at the Cafe we sat down and had a nice meal. About an hour or so later we left the restaurant and headed to a Music store and killed some time there looking at some vinyls and music sheet books. On the way back to the Garden we took a detour to Best Buy and I bought a copy of what has become one of my favorite Iron Maiden albums, Somewhere in Time.

We got to the show with about 45 minutes to kill so we checked out the merch stands where I got a couple of Iron Maiden shirts and a DT hat. Shoving everything into Matt's bag, we headed upstairs to our seats and waited..

As soon as the opening notes of "As I Am" began playing over the loudspeaker I knew that I was going to have an awesome time, despite being hesitant about DT's set, which includes a lot of my lesser favorite songs by them. Despite my hesitation, the show went on and was amazing. The definite highlight of their set was "Home," seeing as I've never seen them play it before and it is one of my favorite DT tunes. James LaBrie, being one of the most awkward frontmen ever, made us laugh by saying things like "For those of you out there with Rockband 2, this is one there!!" and "We're having a wonderful time on tour with Iron Maiden.. and ourselves!" Despite his awkawrd comments, he did an impeccable job, making it his best performance that I have seen so far. Both James' voice, and the band itself, were much tighter than I have ever seen them before. It was probably due to the fact that it was their first time playing the Garden and they were very excited for it. After they finished we sat back down and waited for Maiden to start.

About 20 minutes later, Maiden kicked off the show with one of their best album openers ever, "The Wicker Man." Their stage setup was basically a crashed spaceship with some alien looking radio towers in the background. Their were catwalks around the sides and over their drummer, Nicko McBrain, for Bruce Dickinson to run around on. On top of that, they had different backdrops for almost every song, adding to the mood of each piece. For being in his 50s, I was totally surprised at how mobile Bruce Dickinson is on stage. It was my first time seeing them, and I didn't really notice before how crazy he goes. It really adds to the show, because his excitement definitely pumps everyone up and it definitely adds to the show. He was doing things ranging from leaping over amplifiers and soaring about 6 or so feet through the air and landing just short of the edge of the stage, or running around the catwalks like a lunatic WHILE singing. The set included mostly post-reunion songs, which I don't mind at all, because the majority of the reunion songs are all amazing to say the least. With songs like "Brave New World", "Dance of Death", "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" and "No More Lies" peppered throughout the set, you really can't go wrong. Before they played a kick ass rendition of "Blood Brothers", Bruce dedicated the song to Ronnie James Dio, and had the entire venue give the metal horns to him up in Heaven. After playing all the best reunion songs, they finished off the set with a killer version of "Fear of the Dark" (to which the entire venue sang along to every last note) and their classic, "Iron Maiden" to which Eddie came out and battled some of the members of the band. After a quick break, the encore started, which consisted of "Number of the Beast", "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Running Free". All three songs were performed flawlessly and the entire crowd was singing along with all three songs. It was a pretty amazing experience getting to see so many of my favorite Maiden songs all back to back like that. During "Running Free" Dickinson threw his hat into the crowd and donned a British Police cap before finishing the song.

After the set ended we left the venue, but not before being scared by a loud thud on one of the stairwells, only to find out that it was a person that fell off the top of the escalator. We could not tell whether he was alive or dead, but after 5 minutes, he was still not moving, and I certainly didn't see him breathing, so I did fear the worst. It was extremely sad to see someone get so badly hurt at a concert that was otherwise nothing short of amazing.

After a tiring train ride back into Long Island I finally went home after one of the most epic days of my life. Getting to see two of my favorite metal bands playing together really made the whole experience that much better. I'm very glad I went, and the cost of the ticket was totally worth it, because I can definitely say that it was one of the best shows I've seen in my life.

https://quadrochosis.blogspot.com/
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Mladen

Great review of an obviously amazing gig.  :metal

I pray for a miracle and hope the guy that fell of an escalator is alive...

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2010, 11:02:20 AM »
Dimeadozen.org   you need to register for the site...its a torrent site of bootlegs only...no officially released music is allowed
Oh, okay. I think I may have done that like a year ago when I first heard about it on here, but I'll go back to it and see what's up

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Concert Review: July 12, 2010, Iron Maiden & Dream Theater live at MSG
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2010, 11:12:20 AM »
Good shit.  :metal I was actually on the side of the stage, so I didn't even know the stage had a space theme to it... I couldn't see the backdrops or anything from where I was. And I agree, James (and Mike) made some really awkward comments throughout the show... like Mike shouting things at random times during songs.  :lol

Offline PolishFalcon29

« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2010, 11:40:53 AM »
Hey guys,

I met a fair number of you at the Worcester and MSG shows.  I was with DreamTheaterVT.  I figured it was about time I joined this place.  I don't remember everyone I met, so if you remember meeting me with DTVT, let me know!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2010, 11:48:07 AM »
I met you in the bar in NYC, good to see you join up. :D

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2010, 03:29:05 PM »
I was the one to your right...enjoyed meeting you and welcome to the board