Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 528673 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe
« Reply #5495 on: December 02, 2022, 04:03:28 PM »
I guess I missed the memo that this would be the last Transatlantic show? Are they not going to make albums anymore? What's the story?

It remains to be seen. Neal’s very emotional reaction to the last show of the tour, and some of Mike’s tweets made it sound like it could be the end. And then there’s the title of this live album, “Final Flight”.
I don’t think there’s been a definitive “This is the end.” statement from anybody however.

Total speculation on my part, but I get the sense that maybe the band is split on who wants to continue in the future and who wants this to be the end.

And Mike kept posting on social media leading up to the final shows that this was the last chance to see the band. It certainly seems to me that they have gone out of their way to emphasize that this is the end of the band, whether the door is open for a reunion at some point or not.

I think as they're getting "up there" and reading comments from band how stressful learning and memorizing....and then PLAYING 3 hours shows is on them (especially Roine) the reward just isn't there. A shame of course, because this is some of the best prog music we can get. :hefdaddy

Offline emtee

« Reply #5496 on: December 02, 2022, 05:32:20 PM »
Owl Howl looks and sounds very good. These guys had some magic on stage.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5497 on: December 03, 2022, 10:38:52 AM »
Agreed!  I was one of those saying maybe it's time for them to hang it up - but watching that I'm having second thoughts LOL

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5498 on: December 03, 2022, 12:40:37 PM »
Agreed!  I was one of those saying maybe it's time for them to hang it up - but watching that I'm having second thoughts LOL
I mostly feel that way too.  They look and sound great.  BUT, as has been the case for awhile, it's frustrating to see Roine having to read lyrics off a music stand/iPad.  You are a seasoned pro!  Learn the songs!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5499 on: December 03, 2022, 12:44:52 PM »
Yeah, and while we're at it, can Jordan Rudess learn the songs so he doesn't have to read sheet music on stage?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5500 on: December 03, 2022, 12:50:01 PM »
Apples and oranges.  We've been over that already.  But I have no problem spelling it out again:

1.  It's different when you're a frontman.  Maybe that's not totally fair.  But if you are representing the band up front, there is an expectation that you engage with the crowd and not be tied to a crutch the entire show. 

2.  Even as a "backline" musician, Jordan has a lot more crowd interaction than Roine.  He uses the sheet music as a help, but isn't tied to it the entire show. 

Not saying it can't be used at all.  But there's no excuse for a front man to be tied to a music stand the entire show every tour.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5501 on: December 03, 2022, 12:55:41 PM »
Roine is not a front man in Transatlantic. Even though they are all out front, Roine and Pete are lower than Neal and Mike, both of whom are elevated with their stands to where they tower as the two main front men even though they are the left and right sides, and Neal and Mike, IIRC, did all of the in-between song talking when I saw TA at Morsefest this year.  I doubt anyone who was unfamiliar with the band would go into it and then come out of those shows thinking Roine or Pete was a front man.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #5502 on: December 03, 2022, 01:05:55 PM »
At Morsefest, Roine did talk about how he and Mike bonded over Procol Harum prior to them playing In Held. But I get your point. Neal and MP are the “frontmen” of this band.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5503 on: December 03, 2022, 02:52:52 PM »
I mostly feel that way too.  They look and sound great.  BUT, as has been the case for awhile, it's frustrating to see Roine having to read lyrics off a music stand/iPad.  You are a seasoned pro!  Learn the songs!
I see what you're saying, but if you remember, Machini, Jordan and JM do read live too. (and I can't blame them for it, modern day DT is *very* involved)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5504 on: December 03, 2022, 03:22:52 PM »
I see what you're saying, but if you remember, Machini, Jordan and JM do read live too. (and I can't blame them for it, modern day DT is *very* involved)

Machini reads live??

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5505 on: December 03, 2022, 03:25:14 PM »
yeah, I've seen him do it (not sheet music per se, he writes his own lead sheets, but yes, he reads)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5506 on: December 03, 2022, 04:07:30 PM »
I see this more and more with bands these days but usually it is an iPad or a laptop. I know when I have watched some of the Big Big Train concerts most of the band has a helper iPad with music and lyrics on it.

When it comes to some of these specialty bands, you have to remember that they may only get a week or less to rehearse and on top of that haven't performed in years. I honestly don't expect them to remember all of that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5507 on: December 03, 2022, 08:15:03 PM »
Plus, not everyone has a super awesome memory and can remember every single lyric or note, especially as they age. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5508 on: December 04, 2022, 10:17:37 AM »
I guess I missed the memo that this would be the last Transatlantic show? Are they not going to make albums anymore? What's the story?

It remains to be seen. Neal’s very emotional reaction to the last show of the tour, and some of Mike’s tweets made it sound like it could be the end. And then there’s the title of this live album, “Final Flight”.
I don’t think there’s been a definitive “This is the end.” statement from anybody however.

Total speculation on my part, but I get the sense that maybe the band is split on who wants to continue in the future and who wants this to be the end.

And Mike kept posting on social media leading up to the final shows that this was the last chance to see the band. It certainly seems to me that they have gone out of their way to emphasize that this is the end of the band, whether the door is open for a reunion at some point or not.

I think as they're getting "up there" and reading comments from band how stressful learning and memorizing....and then PLAYING 3 hours shows is on them (especially Roine) the reward just isn't there. A shame of course, because this is some of the best prog music we can get. :hefdaddy

Thanks for the context. Calling the album "Final Flight" seems pretty definitive, though it can easily be explained away as "final flight of the tour."

It seems weird to me when supergroup/side projects announce that they are ending. Transatlantic albums and tours aren't regularly scheduled events anyway, they can put it on hold for as long as they like and then come back to it if/when it feels right. No need to close the door on the future IMO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5509 on: December 04, 2022, 10:32:00 AM »
Exactly. Even if this isn’t the end for good, this would still be the end for now anyway. Hence why I think at least one person doesn’t want to do it again. I’m fine with this being the end, but I’m not sure it’s a unanimous decision.
Again, all speculation on my part.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5510 on: December 04, 2022, 12:06:09 PM »
Exactly. Even if this isn’t the end for good, this would still be the end for now anyway. Hence why I think at least one person doesn’t want to do it again. I’m fine with this being the end, but I’m not sure it’s a unanimous decision.
Again, all speculation on my part.
I think you're probably right.  But that "one" person could always have a change of heart in the future - has happened before.  Plus them being a "supergroup" that only puts out an album every 5-10 years anyway, I see no reason to announce anything as "final"

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5511 on: December 04, 2022, 03:32:51 PM »
Yeah, the sense I get is there was some consternation amongst the band members that started with the split on the album and never really fully resolved itself through all of the touring this year. I think it may be more likely that they get together to do another round of touring at some point without a new record than try to go through the creative process again as a group.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5512 on: December 04, 2022, 05:52:38 PM »
I hate to say it, but this feels like a little bait and switch.  The tease is clear that this might have been the last show TA ever does, so "buy it now if you want a copy of the Transatlantic show ever!!", but by not actually saying it, they can't be accused of ever actually saying it was their last show or tour.  And I am all for bands finding ways to make money, especially given how tough it is for many post-pandemic, but this just doesn't feel right.  It feels like fans are being tricked a little in order to drive up sales (similar to the Morsefest 2020 deal).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5513 on: December 05, 2022, 09:53:31 AM »
I don't know who Machini is, but Mike Mangini does not, to my memory, read from anything during DT concerts.  And neither does Myung.

And Rudess doesn't read constantly - he isn't chained to the score.  It's up there for reference, but he spends quite a bit of time NOT looking at the sheet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5514 on: December 05, 2022, 10:17:19 AM »
I do seem to recall a video where Mangini had a sheet with some rhythms written out taped to one of his drums during a show. I could be wrong.
Either way, it’s not like he’s reading sheet music for the whole show.
And yeah, JR’s sheet music is mainly a reference. Watch any live video and I’m sure you’d see he spends more time looking at the other members and the audience than at the sheet music.

EDIT: I just remembered, I think it was a backstage video during the I&W and Beyond tour where he had a cheat sheet for Don’t Look Past Me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5515 on: December 05, 2022, 10:38:37 AM »
I don't think the Roine/Jordan comparison is valid. Just look at the different complexity level between what they play, no comparison. Also, Jordan has to cover a whole lot more ground in terms of sounds, textures, samples, etc. Stolt basically improvises most of his leads live and has Ted (for TA) covering his back with some of the most complex parts for the show.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #5516 on: December 05, 2022, 10:50:31 AM »
I don't think the Roine/Jordan comparison is valid. Just look at the different complexity level between what they play, no comparison. Also, Jordan has to cover a whole lot more ground in terms of sounds, textures, samples, etc. Stolt basically improvises most of his leads live and has Ted (for TA) covering his back with some of the most complex parts for the show.

I’m guessing Roine is mostly reading lyrics, though maybe there are some chord notations or something as well. The man has made a LOT of music in his career and written a lot of songs, to the point where he will sometimes recycle phrases and melodies (I think) unintentionally. I don’t blame him for needing to have the lyrics in front of him for the random words he put together for a couple songs that made it onto any given TA release. He’s also 66 years old. Memory decline happens.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5517 on: December 05, 2022, 11:53:43 AM »

I’m guessing Roine is mostly reading lyrics, though maybe there are some chord notations or something as well. The man has made a LOT of music in his career and written a lot of songs, to the point where he will sometimes recycle phrases and melodies (I think) unintentionally. I don’t blame him for needing to have the lyrics in front of him for the random words he put together for a couple songs that made it onto any given TA release. He’s also 66 years old. Memory decline happens.

Yes, you're right. I'm just saying that particular comparison isn't accurate here. Jordan is also 66, btw :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5518 on: December 10, 2022, 02:51:32 PM »
So we have Second Flight(Flying Colors), and now Final Flight. Is there a First Flight I’m unaware of?  :P

A lot of live albums in the pipeline. MF20, MF22, First Flight, and the NMB live album from their recent tour.

I remember someone saying that Bill said NMB would reconvene early next year to work on NMB5, so hopefully that should be out by this time next year.

I will take all of the live albums they will release. That's where it's at for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5519 on: December 10, 2022, 02:54:27 PM »
Waiting to see what Radiant prices it at, lasercd has the bundle at $27 right now.

That's where I went. I decided to forego the free backstage passes and signature lottery for convenience and certainty Best price that I was able to find didn't hurt either.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5520 on: December 10, 2022, 02:58:58 PM »

Sure seems like bread crumbs are being left but maybe something else entirely might rise out of the wreckage......

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5521 on: December 10, 2022, 03:02:41 PM »

Wasn't easy 20 years ago and now it's exponentially more difficult given the more material and more projects. Easy to forget that sometimes.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5522 on: December 10, 2022, 03:06:58 PM »
Yeah, and while we're at it, can Jordan Rudess learn the songs so he doesn't have to read sheet music on stage?

He did that at his last solo show and it didn't stop him from kicking ass! But then again he improvs a lot so it wasn't all that important to me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5523 on: December 10, 2022, 03:10:32 PM »
I see this more and more with bands these days but usually it is an iPad or a laptop. I know when I have watched some of the Big Big Train concerts most of the band has a helper iPad with music and lyrics on it.

When it comes to some of these specialty bands, you have to remember that they may only get a week or less to rehearse and on top of that haven't performed in years. I honestly don't expect them to remember all of that.

I'm sure it's a lot easier years ago when you were in one band and maintaining a career wasn't as intense as it is now. I'm a lot more forgiving (at least with the bands I like) than I used to be, but I'm older now and maybe have a different understanding.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5524 on: December 10, 2022, 03:17:49 PM »
I hate to say it, but this feels like a little bait and switch.  The tease is clear that this might have been the last show TA ever does, so "buy it now if you want a copy of the Transatlantic show ever!!", but by not actually saying it, they can't be accused of ever actually saying it was their last show or tour.  And I am all for bands finding ways to make money, especially given how tough it is for many post-pandemic, but this just doesn't feel right.  It feels like fans are being tricked a little in order to drive up sales (similar to the Morsefest 2020 deal).

Don't see that at all. If that were the case wouldn't you bill it as the final tour and get more fannies in the seats? Still believe they make more on ticket sales than pressing plastic and cardboard. Maybe not as much post Covid, but I think touring is still were the money is and it gets more and more difficult every time you go out there.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #5525 on: December 10, 2022, 07:07:54 PM »
I imagine Mike, Neal and Roine are thinking "This is almost certainly the end, but you can't predict the future so who knows for sure." Which results in them saying what they've said, and naming the live album what they did.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5526 on: January 02, 2023, 05:05:07 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/mike-portnoy-says-transatlantics-new-live-album-will-be-their-last

Mike Portnoy confirms the supergroup’s new live record marks 'the end of an era'

Mike Portnoy has admitted to Prog Magazine that Transatlantic's upcoming live release, The Final Flight: Live At L’Olympia, will be the band's last.

Released on February 17 through InsideOut Music, The Final Flight: Live At L’Olympia captures Neal Morse, Pete Trewavas, Roine Stolt and Portnoy at the Paris venue on the last night of their The Absolute Universe Tour in July 2022.

"It’s no secret,” Portnoy says in the band new issue. “We alluded to it several times on social media throughout the tour. It really feels like the end of an era. We all felt a tremendous sense of finality, like we were taking this as far as it can go, both in the studio and on stage. We couldn’t have been happier with the way it ended.

“This was one of those nights where all the stars aligned. I think it was the best we played on the entire run. The ovations between the songs and at the end of the show were just spine-tingling. Neal was broken down crying, everybody really felt the emotions in the air. If it indeed ends up being the last show we ever play, we could not have ended on a higher note.”

The Final Flight will be released as both a three-CD/single Blu-ray Digipak and a mammoth four-LP gatefold package, covering over three hours of music. However, Portnoy reveals that despite the band calling it a day, this won’t be the last Transatlantic record to emerge. In late 2023 they plan to release recordings of their weekend performances at Morsefest, back in April.

“We did two nights,” Portnoy says. “Not only was there The Absolute Universe in its entirety but The Whirlwind too, as well as a few other songs that we had never played live, accompanied with strings and a choir and all that. It’s really another must-have for the completists."

Just two more TA releases and that's it. Sad but inevitable. I think if they ever perform again it'll be a one-off thing for a song or two and it would likely be "We All Need Some Light" or "Rose Colored Glass" and none of the epics.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5527 on: January 02, 2023, 05:52:33 AM »
Eh, that is total clickbait.  If you read the article, he actually didn't say it was the end.  He still left it open-ended.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5528 on: January 02, 2023, 06:54:15 AM »
On one hand it's "Despite the band calling it a day" and on the other it's "If it indeed ends up being the last show we ever play"
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5529 on: January 02, 2023, 07:05:49 AM »
Aren't all TA members confirmed to play at CTTE next year? I'd say there's high chances Roine and Pete join Neal and Mike during Flying Colors' set for one or two short songs.