Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 524047 times)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe pre-orders
« Reply #3640 on: January 13, 2021, 01:18:03 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Live-America-Transatlantic/dp/B002QAQ9VG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=transatlantic+live+in+america&qid=1610566746&sr=8-1

Someone want to confirm that price for me?   I have it, thank goodness, but I'm thinking of selling if that's the current demand for this!   :)

LOL I should sell mine then. I think I got it for $5 a long time back.

What are you guys seeing? I go to amazon from that link and it says it's unavailable.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3641 on: January 13, 2021, 01:19:23 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Live-America-Transatlantic/dp/B002QAQ9VG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=transatlantic+live+in+america&qid=1610566746&sr=8-1

Someone want to confirm that price for me?   I have it, thank goodness, but I'm thinking of selling if that's the current demand for this!   :)

I don't see *any* price, it's just listed as "currently unavailable" to me.

Doesn't the legend say that MP has a recording of every one of his concerts somewhere? Or was that just Dream Theater?

If he has recorded every DT show it's hard to imagine that he didn't record anything else.

It's quite possible Mike might have other 2001 tours recorded for his records, probably just 2-channel mixes, but we're talking a tour that's nearly two decades ago, so who knows if he still has all that archived somewhere.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3642 on: January 13, 2021, 01:27:11 PM »
It's listed as unavailable, but somehow you can get it new for about 900$ and used for about 40$.  ???
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3643 on: January 13, 2021, 01:37:49 PM »

LOL I should sell mine then. I think I got it for $5 a long time back.

What are you guys seeing? I go to amazon from that link and it says it's unavailable.

This what I see: available through a 3r party used for 40 USD and new for 902 USD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3644 on: January 13, 2021, 01:40:13 PM »
That's it.  On the main page when you search for "Transatlantic Live In America" it's more clear.  $902 dollars.  Hell, I'll sell you mine for $500; what a bargain! ;)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3645 on: January 13, 2021, 01:42:30 PM »
Wow, that's nuts. I'm glad I became a fan when I did, before everything became hard to find or super expensive on the secondary market! I can't even imagine how expensive the Roine Stolt Mixes for SMPT:e go for these days!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3646 on: January 13, 2021, 02:36:16 PM »
I'd still like to know if any site will give you the digital files if you buy the physical CD(s).  I am not buying the CD's if I don't have any way to rip them digitally (my computer, like many nowadays, does not have a CD-rom drive or whatever you call it, and I am not buying one just for this).

Buy the CDs and I will send you the digital files.

Thanks, I appreciate it.  I will let you know. :)

Offline DTA

« Reply #3647 on: January 13, 2021, 02:52:49 PM »
I'm sure it's buried in this thread somewhere, but if someone could give me a quick yes or no I'd appreciate it.

I know there's an abridged version and an extended version. Is the Ultimate version just those two albums packaged together or does it contain a 3rd version that has even more variation?

The Ultimate Version BD contains a 5.1 surround sound audio mix, which contains 1 more song than Forevermore, and is a combination of both The Breath Of Life and Forevermore, but to what capacity (other than the tracklist), no one yet knows. I assume it'll borrow musical and lyrical elements from both versions, but considering how different some of the songs are between the abridged and extended versions of the album, it might not be as integrated as one might think.

TL:DR - Yes, there is a third version of the album, and it runs about 100 minutes long.

-Marc.

Good to know. I think I'll get Forevermore first and then go back and check out the Abridged version so I can really notice all the changes. Plus, I'm a much bigger fan of Stolt's SMPT:e than the original, so I think a production highlighting his parts is more up my alley. The Ultimate version just sounds excessive so I'll leave that one out.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3648 on: January 13, 2021, 06:18:20 PM »
Wow, that's nuts. I'm glad I became a fan when I did, before everything became hard to find or super expensive on the secondary market! I can't even imagine how expensive the Roine Stolt Mixes for SMPT:e go for these days!

-Marc.

I bought my copy of that on ebay for $60 in 2015, which I thought was a steal. And I agree with DTA, it sounds better than the original IMO.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3649 on: January 13, 2021, 06:24:48 PM »

-Marc.

I bought my copy of that on ebay for $60 in 2015, which I thought was a steal. And I agree with DTA, it sounds better than the original IMO.

That's not a bad price! I got mine in 2006 for $14.49 +shipping, and like DTA said, I am also a bigger fan of Stolt's mixes of SMPT:e. If they ever re-release the first two albums, I kind of hope that Roine remixes both albums. That's not a slight against Rich Mouser, but I think Roine could breath a bit more life into those classics. Maybe a mixing collaboration would be good?

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3650 on: January 13, 2021, 08:07:56 PM »
As much as I love Bridge Across Forever, I'd love to hear it get the Roine Stolt mix treatment.  That album is a bit more hard-hitting and less warm sonically than the other TA albums, as well as many of Neal's (except for Sola Scriptura, which is not a warm album either), which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not my preferred sound when listening to those guys.  Fortunately, the songwriting on BAF is ridiculously awesome, so the album still slays despite not being one of my favorites of theirs from a sound standpoint.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3651 on: January 13, 2021, 09:14:11 PM »
My review of The Absolute Universe was sent out earlier today and will be published any time now. 

So now I can finally say, I love this album.  As far as where I'd rank it, it doesn't touch The Whirlwind, which is my top (and very high on my "all time" list from any band).  I definitely rank it above Kaleidoscope, which is my least favorite TA album.  And I'm not sure where I rank it relative to the first two albums.  In many respects, I think it is better and more cohesive.  In others, I think it is really hard for anything to reach that magic that the first two albums had.  But it is right there with them, IMO.  (but at the same time, very different from those two albums)

EDIT: Another tidbit that did not make the review:  Pete is the absolute MVP of this album.  Everything about his playing, his tone, and pretty much everything else, is SO good.  And both version of Solitude, on which he takes lead vocals for the first half of the song, are contenders for my top song on their respective albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3652 on: January 13, 2021, 10:56:23 PM »
Discogs has the CD for 8€ and the VHS for 14$... or am I missing something?
https://www.discogs.com/de/sell/release/4298205?ev=rb
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3653 on: January 14, 2021, 09:00:22 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3654 on: January 14, 2021, 09:08:08 AM »
:rollin  I wasn't expecting you to copy/paste the text of my rating email and put that into the end of the review. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3656 on: January 14, 2021, 09:12:46 AM »
:rollin  I wasn't expecting you to copy/paste the text of my rating email and put that into the end of the review.

hahaha me neither, but I thought it was good, so I kept it!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3657 on: January 14, 2021, 09:51:39 AM »
bosk1 album review has been published today:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/transatlantic-does-it-again-with-the-absolute-universe/

:metal

The Bosk has spoken :metal

MinistroRaven loves quoting people out of the blue without asking, man... :D

Online faizoff

« Reply #3658 on: January 14, 2021, 10:01:08 AM »
Damn Feb 5th feels so long away. I'm having so much fun listening to all TA past albums. I personally LOVE all the albums. All of them are at least 9.5/10 and only small things make one album rank over the other.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3659 on: January 14, 2021, 10:04:27 AM »

I already gave you credit AND COPYRIGHT OWNERSHIPT for the comments!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3660 on: January 14, 2021, 10:09:19 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3661 on: January 14, 2021, 10:32:47 AM »

:lol 

Hey, I do want to go slightly off topic for a second.  I was thinking about this the other day.  The job you guys have done in building up a reputation and putting out quality content in the form of interviews, album reviews, etc. is phenomenal.  That jumped out at me when I went back and was reading through the Neal/Roine interview for information in writing my review.  I know a lot of the great information they put out there was just them spewing rather than you asking pointed questions to draw things out.  But that usually only happens when you have already built up a trust and rapport with the artist where he/she already knows you, and you guys have done that through the years with lots of artists out there.  You ask great questions, you listen and ask appropriate follow up, you are respectful, you do your research, and you don't hide your fandom, but still remain unbiased.  And that seems to produce great results when you talk to artists.  You guys should be proud of that.  I am thankful to be able to contribute in even a small fashion by occasionally doing a review like this.

Damn Feb 5th feels so long away. I'm having so much fun listening to all TA past albums. I personally LOVE all the albums. All of them are at least 9.5/10 and only small things make one album rank over the other.

If I were rating this album on a */10 scale, I think 9.5 is where it would land.  on a 5 point scale, I didn't want to give it a 4, because that is too low.  But I think it sits solidly at a 9.5.  And if my interest eventually cools down after many more listens, I still can't see it falling below a 9.  Good songs.  It's just odd for TA that they are all short, with no mega-epics, and fewer crazy instrumental diversions.  But in the grand scheme of their discography, I think that works to their benefit to have dialed that aspect back a bit. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #3662 on: January 14, 2021, 10:40:04 AM »

If I were rating this album on a */10 scale, I think 9.5 is where it would land.  on a 5 point scale, I didn't want to give it a 4, because that is too low.  But I think it sits solidly at a 9.5.  And if my interest eventually cools down after many more listens, I still can't see it falling below a 9.  Good songs. It's just odd for TA that they are all short, with no mega-epics, and fewer crazy instrumental diversions.  But in the grand scheme of their discography, I think that works to their benefit to have dialed that aspect back a bit. 

I don't mind that at all. It will be very interesting to listen to just short focussed songs.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3663 on: January 14, 2021, 10:45:03 AM »
Nor do I.  It works.  I'm just saying that it runs contrary to expectations based on the band's history, that's all.

Honestly, the album feels a lot like The Whirlwind.  Even though that is a single song, it is a very different kind of epic where the individual movements are different from one another, and most of them feel like they could function as standalone songs (which many people consider them to be).  TAU feels a lot like that, where the individual song lengths are comparable to the movement lengths of The Whirlwind, and they feel like standalone entities that are related to a greater whole, if that makes sense.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3664 on: January 14, 2021, 10:54:44 AM »

:lol 

Hey, I do want to go slightly off topic for a second.  I was thinking about this the other day.  The job you guys have done in building up a reputation and putting out quality content in the form of interviews, album reviews, etc. is phenomenal.  That jumped out at me when I went back and was reading through the Neal/Roine interview for information in writing my review.  I know a lot of the great information they put out there was just them spewing rather than you asking pointed questions to draw things out.  But that usually only happens when you have already built up a trust and rapport with the artist where he/she already knows you, and you guys have done that through the years with lots of artists out there.  You ask great questions, you listen and ask appropriate follow up, you are respectful, you do your research, and you don't hide your fandom, but still remain unbiased.  And that seems to produce great results when you talk to artists.  You guys should be proud of that.  I am thankful to be able to contribute in even a small fashion by occasionally doing a review like this.

If I were rating this album on a */10 scale, I think 9.5 is where it would land.  on a 5 point scale, I didn't want to give it a 4, because that is too low.  But I think it sits solidly at a 9.5.  And if my interest eventually cools down after many more listens, I still can't see it falling below a 9.  Good songs.  It's just odd for TA that they are all short, with no mega-epics, and fewer crazy instrumental diversions.  But in the grand scheme of their discography, I think that works to their benefit to have dialed that aspect back a bit.

That really means a lot, man...and yes, artists can tell almost straight away when an interviewer has done his research or when he's just winging it. I've done interviews where the artists start up being defensive, but then slowly opens up when they realize I know what I'm talking about. I can't say that for sure, but I think Petrucci realized at the end of the interview I did with him that I knew my DT facts. And I was respectful enough to ask about him and MP in a way that it didn't seem like I was forcing him to belt out a Blabbermouth headline.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3665 on: January 14, 2021, 11:24:37 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/116713035013014/posts/5332574343426831/

Tomorrow... #TA5 #TheAbsoluteuniVerse Transatlantic

New single tomorrow!

-Marc.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3666 on: January 14, 2021, 11:46:55 AM »
Bosk1, from your comments here, letting apart the differences of style of TNB and Transatlantic, but, in terms of album and songs structures, apparently Transatlantic did their "The Similitude of a Dream" (which is my favorite album under Neal Morse name). Is that your impression about the album?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3667 on: January 14, 2021, 12:03:37 PM »
I've been on a mini-TA kick lately, and actually just finished Kaleidoscope a little bit ago.  The Whirlwind is probably my favorite at this point.  So good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3668 on: January 14, 2021, 12:23:54 PM »
Bosk1, from your comments here, letting apart the differences of style of TNB and Transatlantic, but, in terms of album and songs structures, apparently Transatlantic did their "The Similitude of a Dream" (which is my favorite album under Neal Morse name). Is that your impression about the album?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that.  Can you clarify? 

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3669 on: January 14, 2021, 12:40:01 PM »
Even though that is a single song, it is a very different kind of epic where the individual movements are different from one another, and most of them feel like they could function as standalone songs (which many people consider them to be).
And "...Good songs.  It's just odd for TA that they are all short, with no mega-epics, and fewer crazy instrumental diversions"
Those descriptions you made would describe very well Similitude to me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3670 on: January 14, 2021, 12:56:52 PM »
Yeah, I mean, very generally, in terms of song structures, they are similar.  But beyond that, and the fact that they are prog rock, I wouldn't really call them similar albums.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3671 on: January 14, 2021, 12:59:57 PM »
TA5 is NOT Similitude. But it does have its share of shorter songs, and Neil has a way of bending songs to his will and make them sound instantly Neal Morse-y. The only project he's involved with where I don't see that happening in such a pronounced way is Flying Colors.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3672 on: January 14, 2021, 01:02:14 PM »
Cool, it's interesting to know that, bosk1 and RodrigoAltaf, thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3673 on: January 14, 2021, 01:13:53 PM »
Honestly, if they had meant The Whirlwind to be separate songs instead of separate movements of a single song, I would say it is VERY similar to that album. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3674 on: January 14, 2021, 08:48:36 PM »
Nice review, bosk! Can't wait to hear the multiple versions next month. :hat :hat

I ended up on a mini-TA kick the last few days, and it's still just astonishing how awesome those first three albums all are.  Kaleidoscope is very good as well, but the first three are all-timers.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy