Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 528408 times)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online HOF

Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe pre-orders
« Reply #3606 on: January 08, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »
I need to decide which (if any) of these to pre-order. Since it was announced, I find my interest in sifting through 3 CDs worth of music waning. I want to support the band, but I’ve hardly gone back to The Whirlwind since I finally got it this summer. I might just start with the one-disc and see how I feel about it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3607 on: January 08, 2021, 12:43:22 PM »
I need to decide which (if any) of these to pre-order. Since it was announced, I find my interest in sifting through 3 CDs worth of music waning. I want to support the band, but I’ve hardly gone back to The Whirlwind since I finally got it this summer. I might just start with the one-disc and see how I feel about it.

The single disc is really satisfying...go with that one, man!!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #3608 on: January 08, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »

Definitely leaning that way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3609 on: January 08, 2021, 04:50:10 PM »

I agree.  ...but so is the double-disk version! 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3610 on: January 09, 2021, 07:02:54 AM »

I agree, I have come to love BOTH versions. And I would say Inam loving the longest one even more.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3611 on: January 09, 2021, 07:50:38 AM »

You should change that immediately. ;) 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3612 on: January 09, 2021, 08:40:26 AM »

I agree, I have come to love BOTH versions. And I would say Inam loving the longest one even more.

While the rest of us, mere mortals, have to wait another month for it :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online HOF

« Reply #3613 on: January 09, 2021, 10:30:14 AM »

It’s weird because I think it is fine. Definitely impressed me more than Kaleidoscope. But I think the lyrics in particular are pretty bland, and the 77 minute run time without any definite songs is a real tough sell for me when I have so much else to listen to these days. I didn’t hate it or anything, just don’t feel a need to go back to it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3614 on: January 09, 2021, 02:02:07 PM »
I think for fans who discovered the band before 2009 were probably more likely to love The Whirlwind than those who discovered the hand after the fact, mostly because TW came after nearly a decade long wait after BAF. I became a fan around 2005, so my wait for a new album was only 4-5 years, but even with high expectations, they still managed to release an album that blew me away.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #3615 on: January 09, 2021, 05:30:38 PM »
I think for fans who discovered the band before 2009 were probably more likely to love The Whirlwind than those who discovered the hand after the fact, mostly because TW came after nearly a decade long wait after BAF. I became a fan around 2005, so my wait for a new album was only 4-5 years, but even with high expectations, they still managed to release an album that blew me away.

-Marc.

Well, I’m a fan since Bridge Across Forever came out (picked up the first two around the same time). For me The Whirlwind just doesn’t have the same magic as the first two. But I do think a lot of that is just life situation/age/stage of life. The first two were my introduction to Neal and Roine and that style of prog. I got hugely into Spock’s Beard after that and when Neal left and started doing solo prog stuff I just didn’t feel like his music had the same spark. I stopped buying Neal’s music altogether after being really disappointed by One. I also stopped buying DT’s albums around that time after being disappointed by Octavarium. And I never really got into The Flower Kings despite buying a couple of their albums around that time.

So by the time Transatlantic reunited, I had stopped buying anything new by Neal or Mike, and was really only following Marillion of the 4 members’ bands (who had pretty much become my favorite band in the interim). I just didn’t have a lot of faith that they’d recapture the magic. I still felt very fondly about the first two TA albums, and I just decided I didn’t want to be let down so I never got The Whirlwind. The only reason I eventually picked up Kaleidoscope was Radiant had a deal and I got it for like $3 a few years after it came out. That album did nothing to make me think I had missed anything with The Whirlwind unfortunately.

Fast forward a few years later, and I started exploring The Flower Kings more, and that got me more interested in a new Transatlantic album when they announced they were working on one. I had also had some better experiences with Mike and Neal recently (Flying Colors, The Winery Dogs, but not so much Neal Morse Band). So then I decided I really ought to hear The Whirlwind. And like I said, I do think it is pretty good. But it’s still missing something of the magic from those first two albums. It’s *probably* missing my youth more than anything (back then, a new album was an event, and I probably would have been able to spend a lot more time focusing on it), but that’s where I’m coming from on that album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3616 on: January 09, 2021, 08:32:20 PM »
To each his own. ;) I think the magic is there on The Whirlwind. Sure, none of the individual songs are as awesome as the long epics like All of the Above, Stranger in Your Soul or My New World, but tracks like The Wind Blew Them All Away, On the Prowl, A Man Can Feel, Rose Covered Glasses and Is It Really Happening? are all pretty much all kinds of awesome. IMO, of course. :)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3617 on: January 09, 2021, 09:04:04 PM »

-Marc.

Well, I’m a fan since Bridge Across Forever came out (picked up the first two around the same time). For me The Whirlwind just doesn’t have the same magic as the first two. But I do think a lot of that is just life situation/age/stage of life. The first two were my introduction to Neal and Roine and that style of prog. I got hugely into Spock’s Beard after that and when Neal left and started doing solo prog stuff I just didn’t feel like his music had the same spark. I stopped buying Neal’s music altogether after being really disappointed by One. I also stopped buying DT’s albums around that time after being disappointed by Octavarium. And I never really got into The Flower Kings despite buying a couple of their albums around that time.

So by the time Transatlantic reunited, I had stopped buying anything new by Neal or Mike, and was really only following Marillion of the 4 members’ bands (who had pretty much become my favorite band in the interim). I just didn’t have a lot of faith that they’d recapture the magic. I still felt very fondly about the first two TA albums, and I just decided I didn’t want to be let down so I never got The Whirlwind. The only reason I eventually picked up Kaleidoscope was Radiant had a deal and I got it for like $3 a few years after it came out. That album did nothing to make me think I had missed anything with The Whirlwind unfortunately.

Fast forward a few years later, and I started exploring The Flower Kings more, and that got me more interested in a new Transatlantic album when they announced they were working on one. I had also had some better experiences with Mike and Neal recently (Flying Colors, The Winery Dogs, but not so much Neal Morse Band). So then I decided I really ought to hear The Whirlwind. And like I said, I do think it is pretty good. But it’s still missing something of the magic from those first two albums. It’s *probably* missing my youth more than anything (back then, a new album was an event, and I probably would have been able to spend a lot more time focusing on it), but that’s where I’m coming from on that album.

That's interesting, and I'm not sure if there is any sort of correlation or coincidence, but after discovering Transatlantic (by way of DT/MP), I found and fell in love with Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings, and have been a fan of all of their releases since 2005. But Marillion... they were the one parent band of the four that I had a harder time getting into. I enjoyed the Fish era well enough, but as I went along through the H era, I had a harder time really diving into them. I enjoyed some of their albums, like This Strange Engine, Anoraknophobia, and Marbles, but I never really got into them the same way as I did SB and TFK (and DT of course).

Maybe because I was deeper in the SB/TFK side of Transatlantic's music that I was able to fall in love with The Whirlwind when it came out, and even to this day, still love it as much as ever. I always juggle that and BAF for my favorite TA album, that's how much I enjoy The Whirlwind as a whole. Kaleidoscope was good, and I still revisit it because, of their four albums, I still find it fresh (despite being over 6 years old now) mostly because I haven't over-listened to it, which I almost had done with TW in the time between it and Kaleidoscope.

To each his own. ;) I think the magic is there on The Whirlwind. Sure, none of the individual songs are as awesome as the long epics like All of the Above, Stranger in Your Soul or My New World, but tracks like The Wind Blew Them All Away, On the Prowl, A Man Can Feel, Rose Covered Glasses and Is It Really Happening? are all pretty much all kinds of awesome. IMO, of course. :)

Those are all great tracks, but for me, I find it much better to enjoy the whole thing, and I rarely find myself listening to just bits of it, but if I do, the first track is always a good snack if I don't have time for the whole meal, as well as "Is It Really Happening?" and "Dancing With Eternal Glory", which is as good of a 20-minute-chunk of TA as any other IMO.

Nad Sylvan interviewing Roine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxHJ-j_3Ak&feature=youtu.be

:metal

Not a bad interview, per se, but I got the distinct impression that Nad hadn't really listened to the album yet, or hadn't really listened to it a lot, because there weren't a lot of TAU-specific questions from what I recall. It was definitely neat to hear some of Roine's perspectives on Transatlantic as a whole, but you can also tell he doesn't remember much about his time with the band (saying things like "The Whirlwind" was only like 65 minutes long, or that it was only 6 or 7 years ago), either because his mind doesn't really retain that kind of encyclopedic knowledge (like Mike does), or maybe he just doesn't care to remember specifics - it definitely reminds me of how loose his guitar palying tends to be when compared to his studio takes (which can both be a good thing and a bad thing). Still, a very interesting interview!

I suppose we will get Pete's interview sometime in the next couple of weeks before the album comes out, and hopefully with one more pre-release single. Any bets on who will interview Pete? I'm gonna say John Mitchell, mostly because he is also another Inside Out artist, and they've worked together in Kino, so there is some familiarity there already (like Nad has with Roine from Agents Of Mercy, and I believe the Steve Hackett band as well). Also, any bets on which track might be the next single?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #3618 on: January 09, 2021, 09:44:36 PM »
Maybe because I was deeper in the SB/TFK side of Transatlantic's music that I was able to fall in love with The Whirlwind when it came out, and even to this day, still love it as much as ever. I always juggle that and BAF for my favorite TA album, that's how much I enjoy The Whirlwind as a whole. Kaleidoscope was good, and I still revisit it because, of their four albums, I still find it fresh (despite being over 6 years old now) mostly because I haven't over-listened to it, which I almost had done with TW in the time between it and Kaleidoscope.

I’m not sure exactly why Marillion connected with me so deeply then, but I think a lot of the lyrical content of the H era felt meaningful at that point in my life. I was somewhat less concerned with long, complex instrumental passages and more into the kind of soundscapes and emotive type of music that Marillion specializes in. I do think they were sort of a welcomed contrast for me from stuff like DT and Neal Morse at the time.

Online HOF

« Reply #3619 on: January 10, 2021, 10:30:29 AM »
So this is an interesting review and makes me more inclined to pick up both versions.

https://spiritofcecilia.com/2021/01/10/a-deluge-of-music-from-transatlantic/

Offline emtee

« Reply #3620 on: January 10, 2021, 02:55:23 PM »
Two solid reviews so far. However, I'm still torn about choosing which album. The reviews add to my consternation. Sounds like the longer version is slightly better but since they have different songs, I'm torn. I know myself too well...I will gravitate towards only one.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3621 on: January 11, 2021, 05:35:23 PM »
To those who haven't gotten into The Whirlwind yet, go back and listen, and pay close attention to the bass. Not just the notes, but the BIG SOUND that the bass has on that album. Be sure to listen on good solid speakers... Loudly.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3622 on: January 12, 2021, 01:28:30 AM »
To those who haven't gotten into The Whirlwind yet, go back and listen, and pay close attention to the bass. Not just the notes, but the BIG SOUND that the bass has on that album. Be sure to listen on good solid speakers... Loudly.

The Whirlwind is definitely the best sounding Transatlantic album and one of the two best sounding albums with Neal Morse on them (the other one being Sola Gratia) in my opinion. The bass sounds phenomenal on The Whirlwind.
any rock can be made to roll

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3623 on: January 12, 2021, 01:54:03 PM »

Offline DTA

« Reply #3624 on: January 12, 2021, 03:06:17 PM »
I'm sure it's buried in this thread somewhere, but if someone could give me a quick yes or no I'd appreciate it.

I know there's an abridged version and an extended version. Is the Ultimate version just those two albums packaged together or does it contain a 3rd version that has even more variation? 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3625 on: January 12, 2021, 03:08:47 PM »
I'm sure it's buried in this thread somewhere, but if someone could give me a quick yes or no I'd appreciate it.

I know there's an abridged version and an extended version. Is the Ultimate version just those two albums packaged together or does it contain a 3rd version that has even more variation?

The Ultimate Version BD contains a 5.1 surround sound audio mix, which contains 1 more song than Forevermore, and is a combination of both The Breath Of Life and Forevermore, but to what capacity (other than the tracklist), no one yet knows. I assume it'll borrow musical and lyrical elements from both versions, but considering how different some of the songs are between the abridged and extended versions of the album, it might not be as integrated as one might think.

TL:DR - Yes, there is a third version of the album, and it runs about 100 minutes long.

-Marc.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3626 on: January 12, 2021, 03:18:05 PM »

The Ultimate Version BD contains a 5.1 surround sound audio mix, which contains 1 more song than Forevermore, and is a combination of both The Breath Of Life and Forevermore, but to what capacity (other than the tracklist), no one yet knows. I assume it'll borrow musical and lyrical elements from both versions, but considering how different some of the songs are between the abridged and extended versions of the album, it might not be as integrated as one might think.

TL:DR - Yes, there is a third version of the album, and it runs about 100 minutes long.

-Marc.

We should also mention that a THIRD mix, the 5.1 mix on Blu Ray (available in the Ultimate Box Set, or separately as a standalone via RadiantRecords.com), was not available to reviewers ahead of time but reportedly combines many elements of the two version together. However, in many cases this version will still have to choose between two sets of lyrics, melodies, singers, etc…, so it’s not like you can cram “Breath” and “Forevermore” completely together. Therefore, this will provide a third listening option!

That piece was taken from this review: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/transatlantic-the-absolute-universe/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3627 on: January 12, 2021, 09:11:23 PM »
I'd still like to know if any site will give you the digital files if you buy the physical CD(s).  I am not buying the CD's if I don't have any way to rip them digitally (my computer, like many nowadays, does not have a CD-rom drive or whatever you call it, and I am not buying one just for this).

Online HOF

« Reply #3628 on: January 12, 2021, 10:29:35 PM »
I'd still like to know if any site will give you the digital files if you buy the physical CD(s).  I am not buying the CD's if I don't have any way to rip them digitally (my computer, like many nowadays, does not have a CD-rom drive or whatever you call it, and I am not buying one just for this).

I would think Amazon would do the auto-rip feature for these, but it doesn’t appear to say so right now.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3629 on: January 13, 2021, 05:28:19 AM »

Buy the CDs and I will send you the digital files.

Online HOF

« Reply #3630 on: January 13, 2021, 07:48:00 AM »

Also, you can get an external CD drive that will play/rip/burn CDs (hooks up through the USB). I’ve used one for years. They are only around $30.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3631 on: January 13, 2021, 08:02:35 AM »
Haven't listened to TA in ages, so starting my full listen of the studio albums. Being transported back in time with the first album now. So much has changed since I first listened to TA back in early 2000s. 20 years later still gives a warm comforting feeling.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3632 on: January 13, 2021, 10:49:42 AM »
In other TA news, I finally downloaded the Inner Circle TA releases from November, and they are of less-than-stellar quality, but it's cool to get another show from the first 2000 tour (with the DC and Philly shows having previously been released on CD and video respectively). The NYC show includes some extra bits during the Genesis medley. There may be more to it but I haven't given the show a whole listen yet.

Today I learned... that Live In America is different on CD and VHS/DVD. I guess I gotta pick up that DVD finally.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3633 on: January 13, 2021, 11:02:19 AM »
In other TA news, I finally downloaded the Inner Circle TA releases from November, and they are of less-than-stellar quality, but it's cool to get another show from the first 2000 tour (with the DC and Philly shows having previously been released on CD and video respectively). The NYC show includes some extra bits during the Genesis medley. There may be more to it but I haven't given the show a whole listen yet.

Today I learned... that Live In America is different on CD and VHS/DVD. I guess I gotta pick up that DVD finally.

I was surprised by this when I gotbthe VHS and DVD of Live In America about 15 years ago. I noticed that "Honky Tonk Woman" was in the tracklist for the video concert, but not on the CDs, so it was definitely a different show. Thankfully setlist.fm helped me clarify which show it was! Unfortunately, the DVD version doesn't have the behind the scenes tour stuff the VHS does (which I've never seen because I haven't had a working VHS player in forever, and my VHS copy of LIA is still sealed anyway).

But yeah, in short, Live In Europe/the BAF tour is the only Transatlantic tour that's only had 1 show released. You would've thought that at some point during their 7 year hiatus that Neal or Mike would've dug out another show to sell from that European tour, but perhaps they just didn't record any. It would have been neat to get one of the shows where Neal actually played some of "Bridge Across Forever".

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3634 on: January 13, 2021, 12:17:00 PM »
Doesn't the legend say that MP has a recording of every one of his concerts somewhere? Or was that just Dream Theater?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3635 on: January 13, 2021, 12:37:57 PM »

Dammit.  <Stadler runs off to Amazon....>

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3636 on: January 13, 2021, 12:39:38 PM »
Doesn't the legend say that MP has a recording of every one of his concerts somewhere? Or was that just Dream Theater?

If he has recorded every DT show it's hard to imagine that he didn't record anything else.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3637 on: January 13, 2021, 12:40:16 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Live-America-Transatlantic/dp/B002QAQ9VG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=transatlantic+live+in+america&qid=1610566746&sr=8-1

Someone want to confirm that price for me?   I have it, thank goodness, but I'm thinking of selling if that's the current demand for this!   :)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3638 on: January 13, 2021, 12:45:58 PM »

It’s weird because I think it is fine. Definitely impressed me more than Kaleidoscope. But I think the lyrics in particular are pretty bland, and the 77 minute run time without any definite songs is a real tough sell for me when I have so much else to listen to these days. I didn’t hate it or anything, just don’t feel a need to go back to it.

Kaleidoscope, to me, is the weakest of their albums.  The Whirlwind is great if you delete the final track.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3639 on: January 13, 2021, 01:12:56 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Live-America-Transatlantic/dp/B002QAQ9VG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=transatlantic+live+in+america&qid=1610566746&sr=8-1

Someone want to confirm that price for me?   I have it, thank goodness, but I'm thinking of selling if that's the current demand for this!   :)

LOL I should sell mine then. I think I got it for $5 a long time back.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan