Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 544645 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Transatlantic: TA5 in production
« Reply #3220 on: November 09, 2020, 05:09:05 PM »
2 separate, independent albums? it couldn't have been that simple.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3221 on: November 09, 2020, 05:23:46 PM »
Like I said earlier, my millennial brain immediately made the comparison to Pokemon always getting two versions of the same game. Mostly the same but with exclusives to each version. A slightly different take on the story in each one, with different bits and pieces here and there.

As unnecessary as it seems to me, I'll still probably end up getting both versions. I really like both album artworks, for what it's worth.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3222 on: November 09, 2020, 05:25:26 PM »
This is amazingly awesome.  I have no need for the vinyl so I'll go with the separate cd releases.  In a perfect world I'd open the short version first, and listen to it many times and get to  know it and love it.  And then open up the 2 disc version and be blown away all over again.  Just don't think I'll have the self control to actually do that.

Offline 425

« Reply #3223 on: November 09, 2020, 05:28:25 PM »
This is amazingly awesome.  I have no need for the vinyl so I'll go with the separate cd releases.  In a perfect world I'd open the short version first, and listen to it many times and get to  know it and love it.  And then open up the 2 disc version and be blown away all over again.  Just don't think I'll have the self control to actually do that.

Honestly, this sounds like a fantastic idea. I was originally thinking I'd start with the 2CD version to get the full experience and then see how they changed it in the 1CD version, treating it more as a curiosity. But this plan sounds really appealing.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #3224 on: November 09, 2020, 05:29:29 PM »

Honestly, this sounds like a fantastic idea. I was originally thinking I'd start with the 2CD version to get the full experience and then see how they changed it in the 1CD version, treating it more as a curiosity. But this plan sounds really appealing.

After reading this idea, I wanna do that, too!

Online HOF

« Reply #3225 on: November 09, 2020, 05:44:11 PM »
I'm confused by this. Two versions of an album because they couldn't agree on what was best - short or long. They should have called it The Indecision Universe.

Looking forward to hearing new music but I don't know which to get. Two and a half hours of new TA with a lot of the same songs... Part of creating something is knowing where to finish. Feels like they just couldn't manage that process.

It's different, we can all agree on that, but I'm not confident this will delight me, given my feeling on long/double albums.

On the other hand, this is TA - if anyone can manage it, it's them.

I think you can chalk a lot of this up to the guys are all sitting around stuck at home all year with no touring. I at least applaud them for being productive with the time. Rather than choosing one disc or two, they said “why not both?” and got it done!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3226 on: November 09, 2020, 05:48:37 PM »
I hate to be the downer here, but I think it's kinda dumb.  To get "all" the music, you have to get both versions.  I will inevitably end up preferring one over the other; which one that is remains to be seen/heard.  That means that I'll sit and listen to an album I like, knowing that I'm not getting all the music.  So I put on the other one, but it doesn't just have the remaining songs, it has different versions of other songs.  The versions I don't like as much, because there's a reason I ended up preferring the other version of the album.  But I sit through them because of the few other songs, including the one I really like but which is on the version of the album I don't like as much.

It just seems like a gimmick.  Yeah, I read the whole press release, the way they explained it makes a certain amount of sense.  It still seems like a way to sell more than one copy of the same album.  Maybe after we find how how much overlap there really is, and how different the songs are that are in both versions, it will make more sense.  But right now it just seems a muddled mess, and I'm actually turned off of getting either one.  That would make this the first Transatlantic album I don't have in at least one format.

I think we can blame downloading music, or at least, the shift in people going from buying music, to feeling entitled to 'free' music whenever they want, wherever they are.

I never mentioned being entitled to free music, and Transatlantic is one of the bands I always buy physical copies of, just to support them.  Mike said that a lot of the music is different between the two versions, which implies that some of it is the same.  Therefore I have to buy at least some of the same material twice in order to get everything they created for this album, and that annoys me.  If that makes me entitled, then I've misunderstood that word all this time.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3227 on: November 09, 2020, 07:01:13 PM »
I think we can blame downloading music, or at least, the shift in people going from buying music, to feeling entitled to 'free' music whenever they want, wherever they are.
I never mentioned being entitled to free music, and Transatlantic is one of the bands I always buy physical copies of, just to support them.  Mike said that a lot of the music is different between the two versions, which implies that some of it is the same.  Therefore I have to buy at least some of the same material twice in order to get everything they created for this album, and that annoys me.  If that makes me entitled, then I've misunderstood that word all this time.
I don't think he's saying you are acting entitled - he's talking about the public in general. The majority of people today don't even both  purchasing MP3s anymore, let alone physical product. They're satisfied just streaming it, which has caused further harm to musicians in general. To counteract that, musicians are coming up with different packages to give fans more incentive to spend money rather than just stream. I have no problem with that - better for the fans! Plus, it's not as if there aren't multiple options for which package(s) to get. And again, I doubt buying both versions on CD is gonna break the bank.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3228 on: November 09, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »
Sure does make sense Scotty.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3229 on: November 09, 2020, 07:46:03 PM »
Okay, then I misunderstood.  I'm still not convinced that people downloading music is what has led to bands coming up with ridiculous super-deluxe packages and multiple versions of the same music, but I guess it makes sense.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3230 on: November 09, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »
Okay, then I misunderstood.  I'm still not convinced that people downloading music is what has led to bands coming up with ridiculous super-deluxe packages and multiple versions of the same music, but I guess it makes sense.
Well, if not that, then what? It's a reality that bands are continuing to have to rely more and more on touring income because music sales have dried up. Why are music sales drying up? Some of it is because of illegal downloading, sure. But that's been going on for 20 years, and within a few years, the iTunes Store, Amazon, etc. started selling MP3s so artists still got a cut and they were still able to make a living. Then Spotify came on the scene (with numerous other streaming services not far behind) and started "paying" artists pennies for their music. How else is an artist to offer something to encourage fans to do more than simply stream their music? Give them something extra that they can't get with streaming or illegal downloading. Hence the bigger, fancier packages with tangible items.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online HOF

« Reply #3231 on: November 09, 2020, 08:24:51 PM »
MP just responded to a question on Twitter about possibly releasing a special edition without the vinyl due to the apparent demand:

https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/1326000852964962304?s=21

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3232 on: November 09, 2020, 08:28:23 PM »
Wait, so...some people are complaining about the fact that the band is giving us more creative options to hear different versions of songs?  :lolpalm:  If you don't want multiple versions, just pick one and buy that one.

I have to say, this is a pretty cool idea.  Not sure what buying option I will go with.  I definitely want both version of the album.  I would like the BR so I can get the documentary.  But if the complete set is significantly more expensive than just buying the albums individually, I'll pass on the set.  Besides, I'm sure Radiant will have it for $5 in a year or so.  :lol

The thing that sucks, is if you like just a certain section of one song, but love the other one more, and wish they would've just put that version on the full song...

It seems, The Abridged version is the one that is "the album". The Forevermore edition, is the "bonus cd with extras" meaning extras in the songs themselves, alternate vocals, and more music.

Haha, I wonder if it's like the Abridged edition is the Pete/Neal version, and Forevermore is the Portnoy/Stolt version.  :lol

Well, if not that, then what? It's a reality that bands are continuing to have to rely more and more on touring income because music sales have dried up. Why are music sales drying up? Some of it is because of illegal downloading, sure. But that's been going on for 20 years, and within a few years, the iTunes Store, Amazon, etc. started selling MP3s so artists still got a cut and they were still able to make a living. Then Spotify came on the scene (with numerous other streaming services not far behind) and started "paying" artists pennies for their music. How else is an artist to offer something to encourage fans to do more than simply stream their music? Give them something extra that they can't get with streaming or illegal downloading. Hence the bigger, fancier packages with tangible items.

It's a two way street though. The band needs the fans to support them, somehow, or else they can't produce the music. The fans need to step up on their end a bit. Maybe, we fans need to be the ones to start the uprising of the high ticket prices, and Tickemaster Monolopy, that is screwing us fans over, It's mainly the "Fees" that make it unfathomable sometimes.

The bands are doing everything possible and yet the fans aren't doing their end to try and balance it out. It's to the point where the band has to put out these Deluxe packages and offer Meet and Greets, just so us entitled fans, can feel like we get our moneys worth with things like Behind the Scenes, Extra items, a "Kiss" on a postcard..."And eat our food and drink our drinks..."  :biggrin:

The bands shouldn't have to do all this just for people to listen to their music. It's what Steven Wilson bitched about, and he said, why not then just go with what sells, and wrote music in the style that best sells, which to me explains his whole concept of The Future Bites and why the live touring is a big part of the album concept. These are lyrics in Personal Shopper "Buy the box set and the kind of stuff you've bought before a million times. / Buy in green, buy in blue. Buy in patterns 'cause I tell you to"

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online HOF

« Reply #3233 on: November 09, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »
LOL. I was just looking at this and wondering why the T A and V were highlighted, and then I realized it’s for Transatlantic 5.

https://m.facebook.com/#!/TransatlanticMusic/photos/a.10150754688581293/10158386945731293/?type=3&source=48

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #3234 on: November 09, 2020, 08:54:22 PM »
It is really a new idea. Remember the alternative versions on the bonus disc of the last Flying Colors.

Seems interesting.  :tup

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3235 on: November 09, 2020, 09:09:34 PM »
It's a two way street though. The band needs the fans to support them, somehow, or else they can't produce the music. The fans need to step up on their end a bit. Maybe, we fans need to be the ones to start the uprising of the high ticket prices, and Tickemaster Monolopy, that is screwing us fans over, It's mainly the "Fees" that make it unfathomable sometimes.
Can't speak for other countries, but Ticketblaster/JiveNation and these legalized scalping websites (AKA ticket resellers) are definitely a big part of the problem. But fans and most bands/artists can only do so much. If you're a band like Maiden, you have some control, but even they experienced problems with long lines with fans trying to enter because of what they instituted to ensure there was no scalping involved, resulting in some missing part of the show. Fans trying to fight it is a useless prospect unless *everyone* starts boycotting all live shows, and that will never happen. Even Pearl Jam, when they were at the height of the popularity in 1994-1995 tried to fight Ticketblaster but ultimately failed. They have too much control, and the government doesn't care and/or turns a blind eye to it because there's enough lobbying and greasing of palms to make it go away.

But really, that's a whole other discussion. The reality is that bands - especially those at this level - need to come up with new/better ways to generate money so that they can continue to support themselves and continue with their bands and in the music industry. And given that the norm now permits for their product to be (in essence) stolen by these streaming services, they are doing deluxe packages and the like to continue making physical sales.

MP just responded to a question on Twitter about possibly releasing a special edition without the vinyl due to the apparent demand:

Back on topic - glad to see MP's post. If they make a special edition without the vinyl I would give serious consideration to picking it up.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3236 on: November 09, 2020, 10:07:16 PM »
I am super psyched about new TA and will absolutely get the super deluxe edition if need be. That said for this and any super deluxe the bazillion vinyl included are always made obsolete by a 5.1 blu-ray, which sounds better, is more compact, and easier to play. I know this is kind of a side rant for me, but the vinyl revival should have been stopped dead in its tracks by a modern much better alternative. So I'd prefer a version without the vinyl.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 425

« Reply #3237 on: November 10, 2020, 12:57:26 AM »

Back on topic - glad to see MP's post. If they make a special edition without the vinyl I would give serious consideration to picking it up.

I would definitely buy this version if they came out with it. Otherwise, I'll be buying both CD versions.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3238 on: November 10, 2020, 04:43:18 AM »
Knowing the kind of album it is, would you all have liked this approach from DT to The Astonishing? having the album as we know it being the "super special extended full story edition" and there being also a single album with a reworked storyline and arrangements to make it fit in 80 minutes?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3239 on: November 10, 2020, 04:59:08 AM »

That would be great. Hope it happens.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #3240 on: November 10, 2020, 05:01:36 AM »
Knowing the kind of album it is, would you all have liked this approach from DT to The Astonishing? having the album as we know it being the "super special extended full story edition" and there being also a single album with a reworked storyline and arrangements to make it fit in 80 minutes?

Hard to say. The whole two-edition album thing seems like it could work for The Astonishing as well, but I love The Astonishing as it is so I wouldn't necessarily be wishing there was an abridged version of it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3241 on: November 10, 2020, 05:10:36 AM »
I am super psyched about new TA and will absolutely get the super deluxe edition if need be. That said for this and any super deluxe the bazillion vinyl included are always made obsolete by a 5.1 blu-ray, which sounds better, is more compact, and easier to play. I know this is kind of a side rant for me, but the vinyl revival should have been stopped dead in its tracks by a modern much better alternative. So I'd prefer a version without the vinyl.

Yeah there are so many deluxe bundles that have the bluray that I want but are bundled with the Vinyl that I just pass over those.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3242 on: November 10, 2020, 05:24:25 AM »
For all my confusion about this, I'm still very excited for it. I'll get the single disc and, best scenario, a little down the line get to enjoy a super extended version of an album I really like.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3243 on: November 10, 2020, 06:42:33 AM »

I'm in agreement with you Nick.  There are many like myself that moved away from the record player.  CD's and 5.1 Blu Ray is all I want.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3244 on: November 10, 2020, 08:23:19 AM »
Can't speak for other countries, but Ticketblaster/JiveNation and these legalized scalping websites (AKA ticket resellers) are definitely a big part of the problem. But fans and most bands/artists can only do so much. If you're a band like Maiden, you have some control, but even they experienced problems with long lines with fans trying to enter because of what they instituted to ensure there was no scalping involved, resulting in some missing part of the show. Fans trying to fight it is a useless prospect unless *everyone* starts boycotting all live shows, and that will never happen. Even Pearl Jam, when they were at the height of the popularity in 1994-1995 tried to fight Ticketblaster but ultimately failed. They have too much control, and the government doesn't care and/or turns a blind eye to it because there's enough lobbying and greasing of palms to make it go away.

But really, that's a whole other discussion. The reality is that bands - especially those at this level - need to come up with new/better ways to generate money so that they can continue to support themselves and continue with their bands and in the music industry. And given that the norm now permits for their product to be (in essence) stolen by these streaming services, they are doing deluxe packages and the like to continue making physical sales.

But guys, this is a pure economics problem.  It's probably the best "supply and demand" example you can name that isn't called "iPhone".  If people weren't paying scalping prices (either legit or not), there wouldn't be a market.   Prices - for all the complaints about "fees" and whatever, are undervalued.  UNDER valued.  Not overpriced.

What SHOULD happen, if we care about the artists, is let them get a piece of that.   For now, if you buy the ticket from the box office, they get, say, 60% of the price.   If the ticket is $100, they get $60.   If that ticket gets funnelled into the scalping market, that ticket may go for $200, or $250; the artist STILL only got $60, so that extra $100 or $150 is going to a middle man.   I don't know how to do that effectively, and few artists have figured out a way.  The best they've done is to sort of weed out the casual fans.   But when I saw Bruce on Broadway, I was third row, from standing in the walk-up line for almost six hours.   I paid face value, which was... shall we say, more than I've spent on even the TWO most expensive tickets I've ever bought (probably three).  I was escorted into the theater upon purchase.   The guys next to me paid $6000 for their two seats.  You're never going to stop that, if someone wants to see a show that badly. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3245 on: November 10, 2020, 08:41:11 AM »

As that is what I did for myself, using someone's list posted somewhere on this board with slight tweaking, an abridged version may have helped me enjoy the album if it cut out the fat (or I'd hate it more because of the chance of keeping the stronger tracks off the abridged version)

Throw me into the group that would buy the ultimate version WITHOUT the vinyl records.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3246 on: November 10, 2020, 08:44:34 AM »
For all my confusion about this, I'm still very excited for it. I'll get the single disc and, best scenario, a little down the line get to enjoy a super extended version of an album I really like.

I'm thinking about doing the same, listen to the single disc first.. But I'm going to get both versions right away, if not the ultimate edition w/o vinyl if that happens.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3247 on: November 10, 2020, 09:29:44 AM »
Yeah, the only issue for me is the vinyls. It will at least double the price of the set and I have zero use for it.
Also, a ten sided vinyl collection isn't very practical to listen to a concept album.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3248 on: November 10, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »

Forcing vinyl into releases like these type of releases seems like it’s a gamble by the vinyl industry that 1) old people with money and nostalgia will buy anything even if they don’t have a record player, 2) people who don’t have a record player will buy enough of these releases that they’ll finally say to themselves “I really ought to pick up a record player since I’ve got all this vinyl lying around.”

I don't think it's "forcing vinyl into releases", but rather the opposite.  Vinyl is the only physical medium that has seen growing sales over the last 15 years.  So, I think they're adding the relatively low-cost digital extras to the box to further entice vinyl fans.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3249 on: November 10, 2020, 10:26:28 AM »
But guys, this is a pure economics problem.  It's probably the best "supply and demand" example you can name that isn't called "iPhone".  If people weren't paying scalping prices (either legit or not), there wouldn't be a market.   Prices - for all the complaints about "fees" and whatever, are undervalued.  UNDER valued.  Not overpriced.

What SHOULD happen, if we care about the artists, is let them get a piece of that.   For now, if you buy the ticket from the box office, they get, say, 60% of the price.   If the ticket is $100, they get $60.   If that ticket gets funnelled into the scalping market, that ticket may go for $200, or $250; the artist STILL only got $60, so that extra $100 or $150 is going to a middle man.   I don't know how to do that effectively, and few artists have figured out a way.  The best they've done is to sort of weed out the casual fans.   But when I saw Bruce on Broadway, I was third row, from standing in the walk-up line for almost six hours.   I paid face value, which was... shall we say, more than I've spent on even the TWO most expensive tickets I've ever bought (probably three).  I was escorted into the theater upon purchase.   The guys next to me paid $6000 for their two seats.  You're never going to stop that, if someone wants to see a show that badly.
You can argue this all you want, but when you have a MONOPOLY (in other words, no other realistic choices) that is literally feeding into the practice of scalping despite putting on a public face that every individual has a FAIR chance at purchasing tickets for themselves at face value, there is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Whether there are some who are willing blow huge sums of money for certain tickets is beside the point. This article sums things up the disgusting hypocritical way Ticketblaster/JiveNation handles things pretty well:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ticketmaster-resellers-las-vegas-1.4828535

Regarding bands actually getting a cut of those higher ticket prices, these days we are seeing many of them doing that now with the silver, gold, platinum, diamond, etc. packages that offer all sorts of extras - it's something DT's been doing to at least some degree since 2004.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3250 on: November 10, 2020, 11:39:29 AM »
King Crimson negotiates or buys the 1st 3-4 rows and sells the Royal Package. Same with DT. I do think the venue or ticket agency gets a cut out of that but DT/KC get a higher margin of the profits on those packages.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3251 on: November 10, 2020, 12:05:48 PM »

You can argue this all you want, but when you have a MONOPOLY (in other words, no other realistic choices) that is literally feeding into the practice of scalping despite putting on a public face that every individual has a FAIR chance at purchasing tickets for themselves at face value, there is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Whether there are some who are willing blow huge sums of money for certain tickets is beside the point. This article sums things up the disgusting hypocritical way Ticketblaster/JiveNation handles things pretty well:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ticketmaster-resellers-las-vegas-1.4828535

Regarding bands actually getting a cut of those higher ticket prices, these days we are seeing many of them doing that now with the silver, gold, platinum, diamond, etc. packages that offer all sorts of extras - it's something DT's been doing to at least some degree since 2004.

But this is a blurring of terms and issues.    Being a monopoly is not de facto bad. It's just not. We have and accept monopolies all the time.   What is bad about a monopoly is when it gets abused.   If a ticket costs $100 from Ticketmaster and is going for $250 on a local scalping site, there is no argument in the WORLD that can say that Ticketmaster is a bad monopoly.   You may not like that it costs $100 for a ticket, but that's not a variable in the equation, any more than it's your say what songs a band plays or who runs for President.  Ticketmaster SHOULD be charging $250, and they're not (again, though, the secondary market thing is a problem).

I do agree with you, though, on the fact that it seems as if the initial sellers are also increasingly in the secondary market.  I don't know how that works (I have to read your cite still).  But that smacks of collusion (not the "Trump" collusion, but real collusion).   But removing that link doesn't change any of the other variables in our discussion though.  Stubhub, for example.  For me here in the Northeast, it's venue driven.   I haven't bought a ticket day of sale for a show at Mohegan Sun Casino in years.   My wife loves Keith Urban and we try to go see him every time he plays. We get "pit" tickets and get as close as we can, because she drools over him for an hour and a half and has dreams he'll call her on stage, forget Nicole Kidman and live happily ever after.  I get those tickets from his fanclub or Stubhub.  Blocks of tickets seem to go right from the initial box office to the secondary market within hours.   For Maiden, at the local pavillion, it was different; I just did Stubhub and waited until people panicked and dumped tickets day of show.  I got third row behind the the pit for face value two hours before the show.  Most of Mike's shows - smaller, club environments - I get from the box office directly (most of Mike's shows now are GA, and that helps).  I see a lot of shows at a theater near me, and I'm a 'member' of the theater, so I get presales. I've gotten to know the women in the box office, and they will hold the ticket for me (and sometimes even upgrade them if closer, better seats come back in).

I know for a fact that when Bruce (and Jimmy Buffett) played Mohegan, the artist took a flat fee for playing - for them and their band and crew - and had the arena cover everything else, but they also set prices by contract.   So that $150 Bruce ticket in CT was at his direction.   When Prince played, he rented the hall - literally - and printed and sold his own tickets at his prices (he also gave a CD out to each ticket holder).  Neither of those are the problem of "Ticketmaster" or a monopoly. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3252 on: November 10, 2020, 02:03:29 PM »
I'm calling it right now - someone in the band got tired of Neal's born-again lyrics and themes. I'm guessing that the shorter album cuts out or changes a good deal of Neal's religious content, and then the longer album is the Christian Rock Director's Cut. Time will tell...

Online HOF

« Reply #3253 on: November 10, 2020, 02:07:53 PM »
I'm calling it right now - someone in the band got tired of Neal's born-again lyrics and themes. I'm guessing that the shorter album cuts out or changes a good deal of Neal's religious content, and then the longer album is the Christian Rock Director's Cut. Time will tell...

Nah, the press release says they did the one-disc version because Neal and Pete thought the two-disc version was too much.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3254 on: November 10, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »

Nah, the press release says they did the one-disc version because Neal and Pete thought the two-disc version was too much.

It also says that they "wrote fresh lyrics and have different people singing on the single CD version tracks as compared to those on the double CD. Some of the song titles have also been changed, while others might remain the same, but compositionally what you'll hear has been altered."

Seems like they really tried to do something different with the abridged version, which probably explains why Mike and Pete did some last-minute vocal sessions just a couple of weeks ago, while I don't think Neal or Roine mentioned anything about doing more vocals, so perhaps Mike and Pete have more of a vocal presence on the Abridged version, perhaps even singing the new lyrics.

Given that both versions of the album will likely retain the same over-arching concept, I can't see that they'd change a LOT of the lyrics, but I'd be surprised if the difference was one being more or less religious than the other. All of TA's music, particularly the parts written/sung by Neal, have always had that spirutual/religious tinge to them, but they were rarely, if ever, outright Christian like his solo stuff, so I don't think they'd start that now with The Absolute Universe, but who knows, I could be wrong. Roine is pretty religious in some of his music as well, so I don't think he'd have any issues with them, and I'm sure Mike wouldn't either given his long history and friendship with Neal, and Pete seems like a pretty laid-back kind of guy that wouldn't mind or care about how religious the lyrics ended up becoming.

I think, more than the music, the lyrical differences will be what I'm more interested in, mostly because of how it might affect the perception of the concept between both versions, but I will listen to Forevermore first, since it seems like that is the original/intended version of the album, and I'll listen to The Breath Of Life second, since it is more or less an afterthought to the original.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!