Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 524055 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2870 on: September 30, 2019, 02:51:41 PM »
Transatlantic announce a new album and DTF, instead of getting excited about it, discusses if they should name a song overture or not  :facepalm:

Honestly, they could do "Eat my ass and balls" 1 through 5 for the next album and I would still be excited for the new album.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2871 on: September 30, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »
 :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2872 on: September 30, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »
Transatlantic announce a new album and DTF, instead of getting excited about it, discusses if they should name a song overture or not  :facepalm:

Honestly, they could do "Eat my ass and balls" 1 through 5 for the next album and I would still be excited for the new album.

Eat My Ass And Balls by Transatlantic
1. Eat
    I. Overture
    II. Roine's Fork
    III. Pete's Spoon
    IV. Neal's Knife
    V. Hors d'oeuvre-ture
2. My
    I. His
    II. Hers
    III. Ours
    IV. Theirs
    V. Nobody's
3. Ass (And)
    I. Return Of The Giant Bush
4. Balls
    I. Hemispheres Prelude
    II. Blowing (Beach) Balls
    III. Tea For Two, Two For Tea(bag)
    IV. A Hairy Situation
    V. Hit The Sack
    VI. Just D-serts
    VII. Grand Finale (feat. Overture)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2873 on: September 30, 2019, 03:17:42 PM »
That could be a real Devin Townsend album :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2874 on: September 30, 2019, 05:43:17 PM »
 :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2875 on: October 01, 2019, 03:19:16 AM »
I think each and every song should have its own Overture. Including the Overtures.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2876 on: October 01, 2019, 06:43:05 AM »
It's just overtures all the way down. What's the collective noun for overtures again?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2877 on: October 01, 2019, 07:18:35 AM »
So is "Balls" one song, or is it seven different songs?   ;)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2878 on: October 01, 2019, 07:22:15 AM »
So is "Balls" one song, or is it seven different songs?   ;)

The song is 69 minutes long and takes up Disc 2. Mike wanted it to be one track but Neal urged him to let them index it into seven for easier listening. The Fuzz Bass solo in "A Hairy Situation" is one to skip to!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2879 on: October 01, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
Seems like "Balls" should only be 2 songs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2880 on: October 01, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »
I hate it when they just play "Tea For Two, Two For Tea(bag)" and "Hit The Sack" without the rest of the piece.   

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #2881 on: October 01, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
Seems like "Balls" should only be 2 songs.

This is what I was going to say. They could do a John Kruk radio edit and have it be shortened to 1 song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2882 on: October 01, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »
I personally can't help but feel like they castrated the album by leaving "I'd Give My Left Nut" on the cutting room floor. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2883 on: October 01, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »
Are you saying they dropped the ball on that one?   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2884 on: October 01, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »
I'm just saying it feels like they emasculated the album by chopping that.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:19:42 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2885 on: October 01, 2019, 12:18:12 PM »
It's always a shame when one of the more energetic, fun songs doesn't make the cut. It really sounds like they were having a ball with that one.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2886 on: October 01, 2019, 01:00:37 PM »
Don't worry, they'll release a deluxe version of it titled "Balls To The Walls" Edition, featuring all the snipped material!

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2887 on: October 01, 2019, 01:27:06 PM »
Don't worry, they'll release a deluxe version of it titled "Balls To The Walls" Edition, featuring all the snipped material!

-Marc.

Complete with a PROG cover of Accept's Balls To The Wall.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2888 on: October 01, 2019, 01:59:12 PM »
Let's just all look forward to the Hugh Syme Clip-Art cover of "Eat My Ass And Balls". 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2889 on: October 01, 2019, 02:25:53 PM »
Let's just all look forward to the Hugh Syme Clip-Art cover of "Eat My Ass And Balls".

Spoiler Alert - it's a Donkey balancing on a circus ball, all on a giant platter.

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2890 on: October 01, 2019, 03:52:16 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2891 on: October 01, 2019, 04:06:54 PM »

What a huge contrast. You could say it makes a vas deferens.

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2892 on: October 02, 2019, 07:07:50 PM »
You could.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: October 09, 2019, 12:33:42 PM »

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2894 on: October 09, 2019, 08:42:07 PM »
Interesting. I wonder what Roine was saying. I didn’t see anything on his Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. But I didn’t look that hard.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2895 on: October 09, 2019, 08:53:44 PM »
Interesting. I wonder what Roine was saying. I didn’t see anything on his Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. But I didn’t look that hard.

You have to read the interview MR shared on the flower kings thread :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2896 on: October 09, 2019, 09:56:47 PM »
Thanks, I see that now.

Some really good info in that interview.
  • The album is written, and is now in the recording phase, where they'll record their individual parts while also fleshing out things like layering of additional sounds, synth, choirs, etc.
  • Roine thinks that maybe 30% of his guitars are already done based on what he recorded in the studio
  • They talked a lot of politics while writing
  • He expects the recording process to be done by the end of the year, and early next year will be mixing
  • He thinks it could be released by the end of the summer

The bit about politics worries me. Hopefully it doesn't make its way into the music too much. That's just my opinion though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2897 on: October 10, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »
If they do offer any political lyrics, I think it won't be as obvious and blatant as the stuff that TFK and Marillion have put out. I don't think they'd all agree to lyrics like that on a Transatlantic album. If they do, it might be veiled with analogies and euphemisms, which I would be OK with, especially if it fits the music.

Whatever the end results are, I think they'll have something special. This is their first time writing in Europe, so the new setting might have inspired them to do something new and different for themselves, and for the band. But sadly, it'll be nearly a year or so until we might have it in our hands. I hope they take their time on this one and give us something spectacular!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2898 on: October 10, 2019, 03:07:11 PM »
I can't see Neal Morse being heavily involved in a project with lyrics that are overtly political, so I have no worries in that regard.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2899 on: October 12, 2019, 06:03:19 AM »
The Tangent did a political album and it became their worst by a huge margin.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2900 on: October 12, 2019, 06:10:02 AM »

I mean, Galahad's Empires Never Last is a political album and I think it's their best by far. Not sure if they're up your alley, I'd say the album is kinda progressive metal in places, but Wikipedia says they're English progressive rock band so they must be progressive rock.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2901 on: October 12, 2019, 11:21:24 AM »

Are you referring to TSROFM? I happen to enjoy that one, personally speaking, and it seemed that a lot of others did too. Looking at Progarchives for average scores, it's tied (with their debut) for their 3rd highest rated studio album, falling slightly behind LSDT and Proxy. I'd say that makes it fairly popular, and at very least, far from their "worst by a huge margin", which, if you go by the PA scores, would be DAOIPAL (which is probably my least favorite Tangent album).

Either way, I think it just matters what the topics are, how its sung, and how the music fits the lyrics (or vice versa). Like I said before, I doubt the band, as a whole, would agree to overtly political lyrics, even if Roine and/or Pete felt strongly about the subject matter (considering their issues with getting into the US and work visas, etc. etc.). Neal and Mike don't seem the types to put out music of that nature unless it was vague and metaphorical.

-Marc.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2902 on: October 12, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »
Politics or no, I’m just super happy to have a new TA album.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2903 on: October 14, 2019, 04:25:43 PM »
Mike just posted an update on his schedule a couple hours ago. Yesterday, he finished a photo shoot for SOA's second album, now he's flying out to get ready for the Chicago FC show this Thursday, and then he's going to Neal's in Nashville to begin tracking drums for Transatlantic 5!!!

So we can finally confirm that Mike hasn't YET officially recorded his drums, but he will be doing them within the next week or so. For these albums, it always seems that the drums are first, and then once they're done, the others will begin tracking their parts as well, then finally the lyrics and vocals are completed. Given how long this process has taken in the past for The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope, I'm willing to be they'll be recording between now and December, especially since that's when Neal and Mike will be back on the road for Flying Colors, and Roine will be on the road with Kayak for the TFK Tour. Pete, on the other hand, will be touring with Marillion through all of November and the first half of December, so hopefully he'll get his tracks done before November 1st!

Either way, if they all get their parts recorded by year's end, I suspect the mixing and mastering process will  begin in the late winter months, around February and March. Optimistically, the album could come out in the summer, but Mike seems to insist that it'll be a "Late 2020" release, so who knows. I think if Mike will be busy with SOA through most of next year, he'll want a later release for TA so his schedule would allow him to tour with them.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2904 on: October 14, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »
I know many are assuming Morsefest next year will feature Transatlantic, but something to consider is the visa situation.  IIRC, both Roine Stolt and Pete Trewavas have had issues in recent years securing visas in order to tour here in the States, and it might be hard to plan and count on TA for a Morsefest if there is any doubt about them securing the visas, no?  I am sure others know more about this than I do, but it's something that occurred to me.