Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 529808 times)

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2065 on: February 01, 2014, 05:28:19 PM »
No I don't. He was ruining awesome music. Just because he's successful, famous, or even a master of the guitar doesn't make it fun for me to listen to him screw up.
Ruining???  Someone's getting a bit dramatic, eh?  :biggrin:  I've watched all the posted clips now ... haven't seen any "ruined" music yet.....   ::)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2066 on: February 01, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »
Just chiming in to say I'm pretty damned stoked about the setlist.  I could certainly do without WANSL, but I'm happy as hell to see MNW. Also, the Whirlwind medley seems about perfect to me. The two parts I'd most want to see live, and the overture. About the only thing I could criticize is that (as somebody else pointed out) the first half of SiYS is the better half.

Really glad to be seeing it twice, in two very different environments.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #2067 on: February 01, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »
I hoping for them to record both nights and change the setlist a little bit for Tilburg. I could see something like this.

Night 1

Into The Blue
My New World
Shine
Black As The Sky

Whirlwind Melody
We All Need Some Light
Kaleidoscope

All Of The Above

Night 2

Into The Blue
My New World
Shine
Black As The Sky

Whirlwind Melody
Mystery Train
Beyond The Sun
Kaleidoscope

Stranger In Your Soul

And You and I

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2068 on: February 01, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
Okay I have no discipline when it comes to dropping the conversation, so I'll respond to this one more time  :lol

Roine was having technical problems, as he was motioning to the controls guys (the gear dudes behind stage) to raise the volume of his sound, as it was quite faint during most of "My New World." It was definitely NOT because he was lazy or seemed disinterested or unmotivated. You can tell he was slightly frustrated but he continued in a professional manner. …

I'm not taking a jab at Atliator but all I'm saying is what I saw from what I think was a better viewing area (as I believe Atliator was seated further back).

THAT is a good argument. I did not know he was having technical problems although I saw him adjust his tone a few times. If he couldn't hear himself that definitely explains some of it. PS thanks again for letting me know about the tickets being on sale so I wasn't even further back :tup :tup Not that there was a single bad seat in that place.

As for me being dramatic, I suppose I am being a bit too intense, but saying he's ruining songs would not be the dramatic part  :P I really think it was to the point that in order to enjoy the show I had to actually tune him out. Once I did that, it became the greatest show ever and that's how I enjoyed it so much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2069 on: February 01, 2014, 08:27:51 PM »

As for me being dramatic, I suppose I am being a bit too intense, but saying he's ruining songs would not be the dramatic part  :P I really think it was to the point that in order to enjoy the show I had to actually tune him out. Once I did that, it became the greatest show ever and that's how I enjoyed it so much.

If he was sloppy and was out of step with the rest of the band then yeah, you could blame him.  Technical problems is totally different.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2070 on: February 01, 2014, 08:39:08 PM »
Agreed, king.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: February 01, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »

THAT is a good argument. I did not know he was having technical problems although I saw him adjust his tone a few times. If he couldn't hear himself that definitely explains some of it. PS thanks again for letting me know about the tickets being on sale so I wasn't even further back :tup :tup Not that there was a single bad seat in that place.

I can appreciate you wanting a good show. Just remember some of us won't ever get to see them without a good bit of traveling.   Be glad with what you got!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2072 on: February 01, 2014, 10:04:48 PM »
I just watched the clips.  A few things jump out at me:

1) Neal Morse looks like a professor with that jacket and wardrobe.  I think that's awesome.

2) Mike was stage left and facing the center of the stage on the Whirld Tour DVD as well.  Are there any other bands that routinely don't put the drummer center and have him face the audience?

3) Roine did seem a little scatterbrained early in the "Black as the Sky" clip.  It very well could be a technical problem, in which case it is totally understandable.  But I'm also not going to draw sweeping conclusions on a 3 hour show based on two 6 minute clips.  Aside - I wonder if these guys could have pulled something off like MP, JP, and Levin did when JR's keyboard broke in Chicago?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2073 on: February 01, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
I just watched the clips.  A few things jump out at me:

1) Neal Morse looks like a professor with that jacket and wardrobe.  I think that's awesome.

2) Mike was stage left and facing the center of the stage on the Whirld Tour DVD as well.  Are there any other bands that routinely don't put the drummer center and have him face the audience?

3) Roine did seem a little scatterbrained early in the "Black as the Sky" clip.  It very well could be a technical problem, in which case it is totally understandable.  But I'm also not going to draw sweeping conclusions on a 3 hour show based on two 6 minute clips.  Aside - I wonder if these guys could have pulled something off like MP, JP, and Levin did when JR's keyboard broke in Chicago?

I had wondered about that. Is it so he can make eye contact with the other band members?

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2074 on: February 01, 2014, 10:27:56 PM »
It does seem it's his job in this band to give a ton of cues. He's extremely on top of it, and it was really fun to watch. I know I've seen other bands with the drummer on the side but it's just not the standard.

Be glad with what you got!

Oh I'm so happy I can't stop thinking about it. I've been listening to TA all day today  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2075 on: February 02, 2014, 05:37:30 AM »
The drummer for Night Ranger in the 80's was always stage left.  I thinking it's because he sang half the songs on their albums and with Mike singing a lot for TA that it might be the reason as well.  Better sight lines to watch him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2076 on: February 02, 2014, 05:52:45 AM »
Okay I've decided that Black As The Sky is my favourite song so far this year. And that solo section so sooo good.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #2077 on: February 02, 2014, 07:35:31 AM »
The drummer for Night Ranger in the 80's was always stage left.  I thinking it's because he sang half the songs on their albums and with Mike singing a lot for TA that it might be the reason as well.  Better sight lines to watch him.
Yep, Kelly Keagy of Night Ranger has had that set-up throughout their career.  Saw them in Vegas a couple years ago for the first time since the late 80s and they still have the same set up:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2078 on: February 02, 2014, 08:16:07 AM »
So, according to setlist.fm, this was their set last night:

Into the Blue
My New World
Shine
Overture (Abridged)
Rose Colored Glasses
Evermore
Is It Really Happening?
Dancing With Eternal Glory (Abridged)
Guitar Solo
We All Need Some Light
Black as the Sky
Kaleidoscope

Encore:
All of the Above (First half)
Stranger in Your Soul  (Second half)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/transatlantic/2014/the-grand-ballroom-at-the-regency-center-san-francisco-ca-5bc5c770.html

It looks like they switched the Whirlwind Medley to the end of what seems like the 1st set, and put BATS between WANSL and Kaleidoscope. This would make the 1st set about 80 minutes long, and the 2nd about 50-55 minutes long. I wonder why they switched? Or was there not even any intermission, since it wasn't listed in the setlist? Did anyone here even actually go to last night's show??

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2079 on: February 02, 2014, 09:59:44 AM »
"Rose Colored Glasses" from the first night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8sdrlq9CoI

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2080 on: February 02, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think the odds of Is It Really Happening? being played are very low.  I remember them saying that song was a bitch in rehearsals last time as far as getting the timing down, as they all have to be in perfect synch for it not to be a trainwreck, and with Ted Leonard now needing to learn all of the material they plan to play, for at least part of the tour, it doesn't make sense to play that and make him spend so much time getting down a 3-minute section just right, when there is nearly 3 hours worth of other music to get right.  I suspect it wasn't gonna be played this tour anyway, and once Gildenlow got sick, any small chance it had probably went out the window. 

Then again, like I said before, I could be dead wrong. :lol :lol

Also, I guess you were dead wrong since they are playing it :lol

I'm glad they are, though, because it's a great highlight of the band's strengths and complex musicianship. I hope some videos pop up of the whole Whirlwind medley sometime soon.

-Marc.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2081 on: February 02, 2014, 10:41:05 AM »
There are a bunch of clips from last night on YouTube. The best way to get to them is to type in Transatlantic to youtube and then click Time, Today or search by upload date. One or the other. I do the same with Styx and DT every day. Just not DT right now before I see them. (Is this already a totally well-known thing to do?)

Oh and in one of the videos when you do that, you might see someone familiar other than TA https://youtube.com/watch?v=EUSZTzAA6Xw

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2082 on: February 02, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »
I'm going to the show tonight completely blind.   This will be interesting.

Other than Shine, I have not heard a single note from the new album.   Haven't had a chance to pick it up yet.   And I won't have time today because of the Super Bowl. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2083 on: February 02, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
There are a bunch of clips from last night on YouTube. The best way to get to them is to type in Transatlantic to youtube and then click Time, Today or search by upload date. One or the other. I do the same with Styx and DT every day. Just not DT right now before I see them. (Is this already a totally well-known thing to do?)

Oh and in one of the videos when you do that, you might see someone familiar other than TA https://youtube.com/watch?v=EUSZTzAA6Xw

I had been doing that, but I guess the results were skewed a bit. I did, however, just sort them by upload date:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_sort=video_date_uploaded&search_query=transatlantic

There are at least 8 videos from SanFran last night!

-Marc.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #2084 on: February 02, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »

Other than Shine, I have not heard a single note from the new album.   Haven't had a chance to pick it up yet.   And I won't have time today because of the Super Bowl.
You're having a huge day today, Dude.   :tup  Super Bowl with your beloved Hawks followed by a concert?  Can you possibly fit something else in, too?   :lol :rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2085 on: February 02, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »

You're having a huge day today, Dude.   :tup  Super Bowl with your beloved Hawks followed by a concert?  Can you possibly fit something else in, too?   :lol :rollin

well in a perfect world I would get a pirate interview with the man himself but I doubt that will happen.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #2086 on: February 02, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
 :tup :tup :tup

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: February 02, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »

You'd pick the superb owl over listening to the new Transatlantic?  :facepalm:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2088 on: February 02, 2014, 12:56:07 PM »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2089 on: February 02, 2014, 12:57:02 PM »

Someone doesn't watch the news/read about Colbert's antics?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2090 on: February 02, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
I never watch TV. :lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2091 on: February 02, 2014, 01:00:02 PM »
I never watch TV. :lol

I guess the NFL doesn't dig satire and Colbert doesn't want to get sued so he's been calling it the Superb Owl for weeks.

https://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432697/january-30-2014/superb-owl-xlviii---football-health-concerns

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #2092 on: February 02, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »

I've never heard of Superb Owl...their music can't be nearly as soaring as TA's!  :rollin
Sorry, couldn't resist the play on words. :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:17:35 PM by 7deg_inner_happiness »
- Ronzoni -

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2093 on: February 02, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »
I had actually wanted to go see the game with some friends locally...but instead, I'm going to be going to a sports bar somewhere near the venue...just so I can be close to the theater when the game is over.   (Everett is over an hour away from where I live)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2094 on: February 02, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »
Hopefully, the concert will help you get over the depression that will inevitably set in when the Broncos win tonight. :)

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #2095 on: February 02, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »
Have a great time at the concert tonight, JD. If you get a chance, give us a quick review of the show. BTW KS, I'll take the Seahawks!
- Ronzoni -

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2096 on: February 02, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »
Does anybody know what the length of the show is? Maybe something a wee bit more accurate than about 3 hours:lol

Getting into the more advanced scheduling phase of this thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2097 on: February 02, 2014, 02:11:57 PM »
3 hours, 4 minutes, and 22 seconds.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2098 on: February 02, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »
Mine was 3 hours including intermission.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2099 on: February 02, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »
3 hours, 4 minutes, and 22 seconds.
Nobody likes a smartass, Kev.

Thanks for the answers, though. Sadly, that means an hour between the end of the show and the train back into town. Not fun given the expected temperatures.
E.F. Benson